Ford Inside News banner

Ford Motor Company May sales results

22K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  falcon lover 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
BEST MAY RETAIL SALES IN 10 YEARS NETS RECORDS FOR FUSION, ESCAPE, LINCOLN MKZ; BEST EXPLORER SALES SINCE JULY 2005

Ford Fusion and Ford Escape establish best-ever monthly sales records
Ford Explorer, America’s best-selling midsize utility, has its best sales month since 2005
Lincoln MKZ sets a new sales record for May; all-new Lincoln MKC now on sale

Ford Motor Company U.S. sales totaled 254,084 vehicles in May, up 3 percent from a year ago. Retail sales set several model records with 174,889 vehicles sold – an increase of 6 percent.

Lincoln sales are up 21 percent for May, with 8,845 vehicles sold. MKZ had its best May sales performance ever, breaking last year’s record with 3,714 cars sold. The all-new Lincoln MKC is now on sale – with 677 MKC vehicles sold during the final weekend of May.

Fomoco May2014sales.pdf
also
TheAutoChannel

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
There is a 2nd MKZ at my work now the first was the Broker I talked into buying not sure who owns the 2nd one yet but they like to park next to me a lot. Black on black 2.0 EcoBoost.

#14 ·
For May, Lincoln at 8,845 was just 1531 behind Infiniti at 10,376 for May and 13,516 behind Infiniti YTD. Where it's pretty clear that the new MKC will provide the sales boost to put Lincoln well ahead of Infiniti and a close race with Cadillac(68,176 YTD) before end of 2014.

#15 ·
DetroitBORG said:
Good news! I see the MKZ frequently now, took awhile to really get out there. I've seen the MKC for a few weeks now around the roads, just saw one on i75 and it wasn't an M plate.

Lincoln sales may sag/level a bit when MKX goes on hiatus end of this year.
Hopefully the MKC will take up some of those lost sales.
I'm still not At All convinced that there'll be any significant gap in Xavailability
&
with** the MKC, refreshed Navi, [BlackLabel](s?), and maybe other enhancements for the 2015my MKZ cough*Nano*cough;
I'll be somewhat surprised if Lincoln dips into negative %s, not just for the rest cy2014, but in the foreseeable future

** also WITH CHINA, global-sales may become more THE topic of conversation than just U.S.sales

#16 ·
note:
Confirmed!

Current 'Dealer Ordered" inventory going out to dealers as demonstrators in the top US markets. No consumer orders being delivered until June.

But we should see a nice ramp up over the next two weeks.
if the previous MKCs were all or mostly demos,
then the first 'flood' of arriving MKCs were sold (or 'picked up') after the 24th.

Wonder if the "daily inventory" is real-time enough to not even register MKCs that are out-of-inventory (sold/picked up) before they're OFF the truck

#17 ·
^....MKX is Lincoln's #2 best selling vehicle, so there is no way they will stop production waiting for the next gen model.

Last order date for 2014 MKX is August 28 so expect order banks to open for the 2015 MKX about the same time, with new color options and more kit added as standard. We should see the production version of the New 2016 MKX by Fall/Winter 2014, and hitting dealerships by April/May/June. Which would give the 2015 MKX something close to a shorter 10 month model year, similar to the 2014 C-MAX(that needs an investment for MY2015).

#18 ·
note:
if the previous MKCs were all or mostly demos,
then the first 'flood' of arriving MKCs were sold (or 'picked up') after the 24th.

Wonder if the "daily inventory" is real-time enough to not even register MKCs that are out-of-inventory (sold/picked up) before they're OFF the truck
That's what I was thinking. They are in and out of inventory so quickly, by the time an update is made the unit has come and gone.

#22 ·
Anybody understand why Ford overall has been lagging the other manufacturers in month over month growth all year long? Ford is up 3% for may while the next lowest is up 8% and the top is 19%.
I think it's price/incentives.

For example Toyota is able to match Ford on lease monthly payments on Camry/Fusion, Camry Hybrid/Fusion Hybrid, Prius/C-MAX, Avalon/Taurus, with only a $999 down, while Ford requires $2500 to $3699 down. Accord and Altima are both at lower drive off at around $1999.

C-MAX Energi has a nice $229 mo lease, but you got to come up with $3,589 down. While any Prius is at $999 down.

Then there is the Ford business plan that is different than let's say Toyota who will do whatever it takes to be #1 in sales volume, so they will overproduce models and discount heavily to move more units at lower profit margin. While Ford tries to match inventory with sales volume at higher profit margin. Which offers lower volume but also less product visibility and where the brand is starting to be seen as 'expensive' for a consumer/non-luxury brand.

We all knew Ford's plan was to bring Ford more upscale, but to capture the conventional, price conscious, standard brand consumers, Ford needs to offer a more economical 'consumer' models and drive offs to compete with the competition. Or be consistent with more incentives during peak buying periods like now, to draw price conscious consumers into Ford dealerships and drive away in a Ford.

For example:

It only takes $999 to drive away in a new Camry/Hybrid, Prius, Corolla or Yaris. While it took $2,569 for the Fusion, $3,089 for Fusion Hybrid, $3,299 for C-Max Hybrid or $3,569 for C-MAX Energi and $2,069 for a Focus and the lowest was $1,819 for a Fiesta and a whopping $4,029 to drive away with an Edge. Which means Ford lost a whole lot of first time car buyers with high drive off costs on Focus and Fiesta and it's easy to see how it would be a no brainer to head to the nearest Toyota.

If Ford want's to target Toyota with their product marketing, they also need to be ready to match Toyota deals if they want to make the sale. And to gain more market share, it may be better if Ford, with their highly efficient manufacturing facilities, would increase incentives and make less unit profit, but with higher sales volume to more than make up the difference. Which gets more consumers in Ford products.

But that's just my two cents.....:rock:

#23 ·
^^^^^

So you're saying they're willing to make Ford more exclusive (relatively) to increase margins and you feel they should compete on price better? I've got an idea, how about if they developed a premium brand, name it after a President maybe, then Ford could remain a mainstream brand and the dead President brand would have room to breath at the top!!

Ridiculous, I know.

:-(

#24 ·
^....MKX is Lincoln's #2 best selling vehicle, so there is no way they will stop production waiting for the next gen model.

Last order date for 2014 MKX is August 28 so expect order banks to open for the 2015 MKX about the same time, with new color options and more kit added as standard. We should see the production version of the New 2016 MKX by Fall/Winter 2014, and hitting dealerships by April/May/June. Which would give the 2015 MKX something close to a shorter 10 month model year, similar to the 2014 C-MAX(that needs an investment for MY2015).
The dates that I'm looking at show the 2014 MKX order banks have already closed as of last week and the 2015 begins production on 8/4/14. I'm not sure that they'll be able to build the 2015 MKX on the current platform at the same time as the 2015 Edge on the new platform, so this may be an extremely short (3-4 month) run of 2015 MKX just to build up inventory in advance of going on hiatus until the 2016 model is ready. This avoids the problem of having to sell 2014 models well into 2015 while waiting for the redesign.

#25 ·
^^^^^2015 MKX Production dates: Order Banks Open: 6/13/14 - Production Start: 8/4/14

The expectation is that with Ford's $840 Million dollar expansion at the Oakville plant in Canada, the MKX line has expanded and is more separate from the Edge. Especially since the new MKX will carry over no shared sheet metal and greatly reduced shared interior components with Edge, along with sales that are expected to be greater sales than ever before for Edge......along with MKX going to China.

Which means Ford should be able to produce the next gen Edge at the same time the current gen MKX. Which is what Ford is doing now in China with Focus and Mondeo.

#26 ·
^ fascinating

& so completely UNlike what I've READ about (every?) other Mfg
"the MKX LINE has expanded and is more separate from the Edge"
where the 'story' is that different models, sometimes even on different platforms, go down the SAME assembly line without stopping to switch anything

edit/addit:
...an extremely short (3-4 month) run of 2015 MKX just to build up inventory in advance of going on hiatus until the 2016 model is ready...
don't think you meant it the way I'm highlighting it
but
a build-up directly counters any hiatus = seamless supply

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.