Ford Inside News banner

Jaguar To Produce Porsche 911 Fighter?

8K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  MERCURYSABLE08 
#1 ·
Well...this is certainly big news and proof that even with the impending sale of Jaguar/Land Rover to Tata Motors of India...there is just no slowing down for the plucky British Marque.

Here is the full article, courtesy of my friends at Left Lane News.com;

It appears as though Jaguar's pending sale to Tata Motors hasn't slowed the luxury marque a bit. Jaguar is currently in the process of launching its all-new XF flagship sedan and, according to a new report, is in the process of developing an all-new coupe to compete with the Porsche 911.

Jaguar has produced some legendary sports cars in the past — including C and E-Types — and the company's 2000 debut of the F-Type Concept proved that Jaguar engineers and designer were still dreaming of producing track-worthy vehicles. Despite the rave reviews the F-Type Concept received — it was earmarked as a legitimate contender to the Porsche Boxster — Jaguar never moved ahead with the project.

Jaguar's XK is the company's lone sports car, although it's widely considered closer to a GT rather than a true sports car.

The new model — which could wear the F-Type nameplate — would use a shortened version of the XJ's all-aluminum chassis, giving the car a lightweight foundation. No engines have been nominated for duty, but Jag's 4.2L V8 seems like a likely candidate.

Although Jaguar is in a transition right now, the F-Type seems like it has a better chance of being produce now. In 2000, Ford still owned Aston Martin and was concerned a performance Jaguar could impede on Aston's market share.
So...what do you think? Can Jaguar pull this off, or will the sale of Jaguar to Tata be the final nail in the coffin and see Jaguar picked clean for parts.

Leave your feedback here.
As Always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#5 ·
The V-8 Vantage is what most people consider to be Aston's 911 fighter.
But the funniest thing is that the V-8 Vantage can actually be out ran by its sister, the Jaguar XK-R...which in reality is the better car for the price.
Check it out here with these two lovely clips from my favorite motoring show...Top Gear!

The First Clip is of the XK-R and the Vantage V-8 and the Second Clip is of the Jaguar XK Convertible.

(Top Gear is the Property of BBC Worldwide and these videos courtesy of Youtube.com)

Interesting review of what the XK-R can really do...and makes you wonder what a possible 911 fighter could really be from Jaguar?

Well...enjoy & Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#6 ·
But the funniest thing is that the V-8 Vantage can actually be out ran by its sister, the Jaguar XK-R...which in reality is the better car for the price.
Check it out here with these two lovely clips from my favorite motoring show...Top Gear!

The First Clip is of the XK-R and the Vantage V-8 and the Second Clip is of the Jaguar XK Convertible.

(Top Gear is the Property of BBC Worldwide and these videos courtesy of Youtube.com)

Interesting review of what the XK-R can really do...and makes you wonder what a possible 911 fighter could really be from Jaguar?

Well...enjoy & Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

Excellent videos RG. I've watched them and I'm happy you brought them up. Clarkson says that it feels like the Aston's faster but in reality, the Jag is right there with the Aston. I'm wondering how Jag will fit a direct 911 competitor into their line up with the XK and XKR.

#7 ·
Well,

First, I am glad you enjoyed the videos...I always love to share some of the better clips from BBCs Top Gear.

As for the Jaguar based 911 Competitor...it may very well have to be a re-birth or re-hash of the either the classic Jaguar E-Types or the Racing Pedigree Jaguar D-Types...of long ago.

Though, not quite so retro inspired...keep the new Jaguar XF Design theme rolling through the product line. Don't go back to the retro/warmed over version of "Chumley Warner". That would not be good.

As always...Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#9 ·
Building a real Jaguar sports car is long overdue, considering the heritage that has been long ignored. I can't wait to see what they come up with.
I would hope something was developed off of the heritage of the Jaguar D-Type, which was such a dominant force in Le Mans, and would handily wipe the track with Ferrari. Plus, it would be interesting to see if Jag could incorporate that fabulous fin back into the design. But, I won't get my hopes up that they use the D-Type. Still though...it does look great.

The F-Type Concept is far more likely the basis of what could be a 911 Fighter, with a closed coupe body of course and it would feature more of Jaguars new design styling. But...it sure could work.

RG59061

#10 ·
found this XF ad thru CSS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us1TFvGaGJA

which raises the question...
is anyone doing car-lust videos?

I sooo want to script/film one where the video would montage between a woman and the XF
but tastefully ;)
thinking specifically about the scenes where the airvents are moving up
& where the XF's face is locked in the viewfinder while it spins around
plus of course the usual 'caressing' the (car's) body with the camera shot...
(guess who I'm imagining for the role)

#11 ·
And now it appears that there is even more credibility to this idea of a Porsche 911 Fighter coming from Jaguar. A new article has surfaced at Left Lane News.com that discusses Jaguars interests in a Two-Door Jaguar XF, a Four-Door Jaguar XK, and a new F-Type.

Read for yourselves, courtesy of Left Lane News.com.

Report: Jaguar mulling two-door XF, four-door XK, F-Type

As reported late last month, Jaguar is considering building a Porsche-rivalling sports car in the coming years — this is no secret, as it has been widely reported in the British media. Today, rumors broke about two other new Jaguar models: a two-door version of the XF, and a more shocking four-door version of the Jaguar XK.

Well-placed sources reportedly say the British automaker presented the ideas to India's Tata Motors, which is likely to acquire Jaguar from Ford this year. None of the cars have final approval, but they're all possibilities.

The two-door XF is somewhat of a no-brainer. Jaguar could easily built a coupe version of the new XF sedan, and probably will. According to U.K. trade publication Just-Auto, the XF Coupe would look very similar to the XF Sedan, albeit with two less doors and a roof-line that sits two inches lower.

While several publications have speculated about an XF Convertible, sources now claim that idea has been shelved, due to the engineering complexity of such a project.

While the XF has been billed as a competitor to the "four-door-coupe" Mercedes CLS-Class, Jaguar might take that sedan-coupe concept to a new extreme. According to the report, the automaker is considering creating a four-door version of its XK sports car. The stretched XK would be smaller than a CLS, offering relatively minimal rear legroom and storage space. Nonetheless, it would command a high price tag.

Lastly, as previously noted, Jaguar is looking at building a competitor to the Porsche 911. The puristic sports car could wear the F-Type badge, but Jaguar appears to be switching to a lineup of models starting with "X," so we wouldn't be surprised to see a different nameplate.

According to this latest report, the Porsche-fighter is Jaguar's top priority, and is the most likely to receive funding.
This really makes the Auto Express pic that 2b2 posted look like an even more likely reality.

We'll have to see what happens...but it will certainly be interesting.
Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#12 ·
found this XF ad thru CSS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us1TFvGaGJA

which raises the question...
is anyone doing car-lust videos?

I sooo want to script/film one where the video would montage between a woman and the XF
but tastefully ;)
thinking specifically about the scenes where the airvents are moving up
& where the XF's face is locked in the viewfinder while it spins around
plus of course the usual 'caressing' the (car's) body with the camera shot...
(guess who I'm imagining for the role)
If you say Paris Hilton...I would scream and run for the hills. I still remember her writhing on the hood of that damn Bentley Arnage while eating that giant Carls Jr. Hamburger. I think the commercial that Jaguar put together makes all the statement that they need...after all, this is the new Jaguar.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#13 ·
^^ Oh GAWD NO!!! :barf: barf: barf:

& the actress I'd loan (very temporarily < hint) to Jaguar
wouldn't even necessarily be recognizable...
what I'm talking about is "CarLust"
...& ...umm tasteful...

did you watch the video yet, RG59061?

I spent some time trying to think of a (even) better song... haven't thought of one yet - preferably one a bit newer than the one in the ad.

#14 ·
^^ Oh GAWD NO!!! :barf: barf: barf:

& the actress I'd loan (very temporarily < hint) to Jaguar
wouldn't even necessarily be recognizable...
what I'm talking about is "CarLust"
...& ...umm tasteful...

did you watch the video yet, RG59061?

I spent some time trying to think of a (even) better song... haven't thought of one yet - preferably one a bit newer than the one in the ad.
Oh I watched it alright...I liked it alot and I did like the song chosen...but I am a sucker for Classic Rock.

If you want to make a real statement though about Jaguar coming back, they could have used two other songs that are slightly newer. One that really holds on to the idea of believing and not letting go is Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" which we all remember from the final episode of "The Soprano's".

Or, if you want more attitude and more of "Look Out...I'm Back" feel...then there is no question...AC/DC's "Back In Black"!

So who would you use...Danika Patrick?

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#15 ·
(in the spirit of classical rock...)
"Please allow me to introduce myself" ;)

Hi
I'm 2b2
& I'm a Mercury addict

and I have not come to believe that's a problem
AND I have no burning desire to be 'cured'

^therefore^, I was referring to *Jill* (aka the Mercury girl) *: *: *:

re: the song - was thinking more a '90s hit/lovesong
unfortunately, I was musically-challenged during the '90s...

also
more 'thinking' about my video:
maybe include shots where the XF morphs into a 'living' jaguar
then
(adding some SciFi)
at the end the XF drives off thru a neo-Mayan landscape...

#18 ·
(in the spirit of classical rock...)
"Please allow me to introduce myself" ;)

Hi
I'm 2b2
& I'm a Mercury addict

and I have not come to believe that's a problem
AND I have no burning desire to be 'cured'

^therefore^, I was referring to *Jill* (aka the Mercury girl) *: *: *:

re: the song - was thinking more a '90s hit/lovesong
unfortunately, I was musically-challenged during the '90s...

also
more 'thinking' about my video:
maybe include shots where the XF morphs into a 'living' jaguar
then
(adding some SciFi)
at the end the XF drives off thru a neo-Mayan landscape...
Are you a man of wealth and taste? Very Nice...I do like Sympathy For The Devil by the Rolling Stones, such a fun and different song.

And yes, Jill...the Mercury Girl, would be a nice candidate for a new style of Commercial for Jaguar.

Though...there were a ton of 90s Love songs...so I would need a clue, like the artist to be able to figure it out. But the image of the XF morphing into a Jaguar would be cool!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#19 ·
^^ TADA

more re: a nother song -
the guy in the video is (just a bit) too old
need to go for those filthy-neo-riche 30 y.o.'s
ergo a '90s song

edit
has to be a HOT song
yet with a "driving beat"

the one in the ad was purrfect
except for its age

re-edit
...And yes, Jill...the Mercury Girl, would be a nice candidate for a new style of Commercial for Jaguar...
on TEMPORARY loan!!!!

re-re-edit:
waaaay more taste than $$$ :(

#20 ·
As the buzz and speculation of a Jaguar 911 Fighter continues...it was only a matter of time before someone would create an illustration of what this car could be.

Well, here it is courtesy of my friends at Left Lane News.com.

This Illustration was created by Larson of Left Lane News.com and is his sole property​

For the past several weeks, rumors have been circulating about a possible new model from Jaguar to compete with the Porsche 911. The project has not yet been approved, but Jaguar insiders have described it as the "top priority" for the automaker in terms of targeting a new niche.

Well-placed sources recently confirmed Jaguar presented the idea to Tata Motors, which is likely to acquire the company from Ford. Since the project is so early on, a final design probably doesn't even exist yet. But that didn't stoop our artists from creating an illustration of how such a vehicle might look.

Jaguar is widely expected to borrow some design cues from the popular F-Type concept, with a more modern twist. Our illustration depicts a car with a shorter overall wheelbase than the XK, plus an F-Type-inspired nose.

Even if approved, the two-seater is still a few years away. Tata's "can-do" mindset might lead to a faster development process, but we're still in for a long wait. Using an existing platform — such as a shortened version of the XK chassis — might also help bring the new model to market sooner.

The puristic sports car could wear the F-Type badge, but Jaguar appears to be switching to a lineup of models starting with "X," so we wouldn't be surprised to see a different nameplate.
It just keeps getting better and better...what do you think?
Looks even better than the XK in some respects.

RG59061

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.