MKS Sells 8,600 Units Before Hitting Dealers
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MKS Sells 8,600 Units Before Hitting Dealers

Thanks

Despite the fact that Lincoln's first unique-looking car since the LS bowed for the 2000 model year isn’t due to arrive at dealerships until the end of the month, Lincoln dealers from across the country already pre-sold 8,600 MKS sedans. The new car is expected to be a make-it or break-it vehicle for the luxury brand, which recently only had what many see as dressed-up, more costly Ford products to sell.

"When you look at the Lincolns they have today and what this car represents, there's no question it's a game-changer," said analyst Erich Merkle of IRN Inc in a Detroit News report. Part of the reason the car is selling already has to do with Ford's marketing of the vehicle. At last November's Los Angeles auto show, the automaker laid out its cards on the table, announcing the cost of the base car, at about $38,000, and the pricing of its options. More recently, the MKS made stops at over 300 of the biggest Lincoln dealership to train sales staff and tantalize customers.
    The new flagship will also have the difficult mission of attracting younger customers, with Ford hoping to lower the average age of the current flagship buyer, at 72 for the Town Car, to 45 for the MKS. Helping the cause is a high level of technology and content, including the Microsoft-developed Sync multimedia connectivity system, a keyless entry system, and available all-wheel drive system.
    Based on the same platform as the Ford Taurus, the MKS will not bear any resemblance to other models in the Ford family. "Everything you can see, feel and touch is unique to Lincoln," said IRN Inc. analyst Erich Merkle.
    The flagship will not offer a V8 engine, instead making do with a 3.7-liter V6 that also does duty in the Mazda CX-9 SUV, where it makes 273hp. Some time next year, a twin-turbo version of the engine dubbed Ecotec mated to an all-wheel drive system should provide as much as 400 horsepower.

Last edited by Mbukukanyau; 06-02-2008 at 08:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: MKS Sells 8,600 Units Before Hitting Dealers

this is good news because this means that Ford has already sold almost a quarter of the projected sales for this car since they are shooting for about 36,000 units anually
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Hungry ,eat your import

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1931Chevy View Post
    this is good news because this means that Ford has already sold almost a quarter of the projected sales for this car since they are shooting for about 36,000 units anually

I was unaware Ford had made any predictions for the MKS. I'm sure they have their fingers crossed, so to speak, internally. But I can't remember Ford issuing any statement on the number they hope to sell.

I'm still of the opinion that, while it may have a lovely launch through the end of the year, the MKS will not do too well. But regardless, it is necessary for Lincoln to re-establish itself in the luxury car market. The MKS is certainly a credible place-holder until more vehicles can be produced.
    Last edited by megeebee; 06-03-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Mercury is alive and well. It's called Lincoln.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 986 Posts

^
    why don't you think it will sell well?

For $38K you get impressive luxury and quality and features and power.
    Yes, I said power, as the smaller CTS has to step into it's price range to match it, and then can't beat it's fuel economy, even though it is smaller.
    Luxury to many customers does not mean doing well at a track. This Lincoln is sure to crush the CTS and DTS in NVH and a smooth ride - because Ford had HUGE targets for that. But yes, I am sure the CTS could beat it at Nurburg. Trouble is, few people actually drive that track or care to ...in a luxury sedan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingsnut View Post
    ^
    why don't you think it will sell well?

For $38K you get impressive luxury and quality and features and power.
    Yes, I said power, as the smaller CTS has to step into it's price range to match it, and then can't beat it's fuel economy, even though it is smaller.
    Luxury to many customers does not mean doing well at a track. This Lincoln is sure to crush the CTS and DTS in NVH and a smooth ride - because Ford had HUGE targets for that. But yes, I am sure the CTS could beat it at Nurburg. Trouble is, few people actually drive that track or care to ...in a luxury sedan.
    Its "been-there-done-that" design, and the fact that FWD luxury cars of any type have not been selling. Even the Lexus ES is down 20% this year.

Granted there is almost no competition from GM and none from Chrysler.

None of this is to say that the MKS is not a very good car. I'm sure that it is very well built and engineered. But the market into which it's being offered doesn't seem to like cars of this ilk.

I'm not one that thinks comparisons of the MKS and the CTS are valid. They are very different cars. Someone who likes the MKS and its attributes would probably not care for the CTS and vice-versa. The MKS will attract those who may like a Lucerne, DTS, and perhaps a few STS "intenders". Some have said that the Toyota Avalon was in Lincoln's sights with the MKS, but I don't agree. The Avalon is a far cheaper car.

And as much as some want to believe, the number of 5-Series or E Class admirers that will buy this Lincoln instead is very small indeed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 865 Posts
    Blog Entries

said it before;
    really believe the MKS is mostly a "white space"/"ocean blue" vehicle
    ie a new segment all to itself
    or
    somewhat/perhaps
    the Re-Creation of the personal Lux car
    sorta like an Eldorado-for-the-21stCentury
    with a whole Lot more practicality
    or
    as Ford says
    "Guilt-Free Luxury"

^that^ also means I have no idea how well it will succeed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    said it before;
    or
    somewhat/perhaps
    or
    as Ford says
    "Guilt-Free Luxury"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 986 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    said it before;
    or
    somewhat/perhaps
    or
    as Ford says
    "Guilt-Free Luxury"

I agree completely.
    But I also feel that the any Cadillac or Lincoln will be compared by customers, as most of their customers don't differentiate between FWD and RWD. Just luxury and image and style, and the MKS has plenty of all that.

And just because the aging Art and Science theme still remains attractive and unique, does not remove the MKS from being a player. Again, the whole purpose of this thread is that it IS in fact a hit so far, with plenty of orders. So those who "think" it won't sell need not look farther than that fact.

Thanks

"a hit......plenty of orders"?

I "think" you're jumping the gun using the word "hit". An order is not the same thing as a sale. Even the more costly Jaguar XF had at least 10,000 pre-orders.
    Last edited by megeebee; 06-04-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks

An interesting piece from Automotive News:

Lincoln: 8,600 MKS orders

Automotive News | June 9, 2008 - 12:01 am EST

DETROIT Lincoln said it has more than 8,600 orders for its MKS sedan. About 3,500 of those are direct customer orders and the rest are from dealers. Shipments of the MKS are expected to begin this week. The front-wheel-drive version of the 2009 Lincoln MKS is priced at $38,465, including shipping. Lincoln is targeting annual sales of around 36,000 units.

SOURCE: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...plate=printart

12. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.