Ford Inside News banner

Ford gets it right with new Taurus sedan

16K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  Sal Collaziano 
#1 ·
Ford gets it right with new Taurus sedan
Now this is a flagship.

Chock full of technology and a few exclusive features, the redesigned 2010 Taurus promises to live well at the top of Ford's lineup.

The Taurus has truly lived the life of a prodigal son in the Ford family. After years in rental fleet lots and even a brief stint incognito with another name, a new Taurus has emerged, connected more to the ground breaking 1986 model than anything from this century.

It's better than anyone could imagine, and it arrives this summer at the same starting price as the 2009 model -- $25,995.

The large sedan shows a confident, aggressive exterior with a power dome hood, a unique three-bar grille and crisp clean lines cutting across its body.

The sedan's shape seems to stretch the car along the horizontal plane, making it appear more stable.

Ford lowered the roof and raised the car's shoulder line -- to give it a more athletic look -- and will offer 17-inch to 20-inch wheels on it.

Ford has also added a few colors to the new Taurus, such as Candy Red Metallic Tint, White Platinum Metallic, Steel Blue Metallic, Gold Leaf Metallic and Ingot Silver Metallic.

continue at the link

See less See more
#8 ·
How does Ford Justify the MKS?
yeah, I know
but
tho I haven't gone thru all the Taurus's features (& only sorta still have the MKS's memorized ;)),
the Taurus doesn't have
Bridge of Weir leather,
and doesn't seem to have a dual-panel moonroof,
yet I'm surprised by the powered rear windowshade

&
not at all sure it SHOULD have the Invisible Keypad in the B-pillar

MotorAuthority - 55 photos

#9 ·
I love this car, but Ford made it so nice I don't understand why most people would pay an 11k+ premium over the Taurus to get an MKS when the MKS really doesn't offer much more than the Taurus besides a higher quality leather and more luxurious interior.

Ford did excellent on this vehicle.

#10 ·
So here's my question:
The Interior (which is beautiful btw) is ridiculously
symmetrical. Will this be going to RHD markets
like AUS and NZ aswell? That'd probably be a smart
move.

I have also noticed this in the 2010 Mustang.

If they get the Mustang, we should get the Falcon though.
:p (Which would make a great cop car-Crown Vic replacement)

#13 ·
I love this car. Is beautiful. it have only one line that i dont like, the line that run along all the upper lateral body and go down from the top to the bottom of the rear end.... looks out of place when we see the hard line in the middle of the body and the fantastic square and surrounding backligths (identical to the rearligths in the Interceptor concept car).

i like more this car than the MK S ( i see coming the Moderator s comentarys again, but that the life!). But i prefer, again, the La Crosse.

The grille is confusiong....is not tree chrome bar, but is not clear Kinetic....maybe is an step betwing both....

good job, Ford

#14 ·
I love this car. Is beautiful. it have only one line that i dont like, the line that run along all the upper lateral body and go down from the top to the bottom of the rear end.... looks out of place when we see the hard line in the middle of the body and the fantastic square and surrounding backligths (identical to the rearligths in the Interceptor concept car).

i like more this car than the MK S ( i see coming the Moderator s comentarys again, but that the life!). But i prefer, again, the La Crosse.

The grille is confusiong....is not tree chrome bar, but is not clear Kinetic....maybe is an step betwing both....

good job, Ford
I see the grille as more of a relation towards the F150 Platinum grille. I kinda wonder why Ford didn't give the Fusion a grille similar to the Taurus if (assuming) the Fiesta and Focus adopt the same type as the Taurus - logical, right?

#15 ·
OH GOD YES!:D

This is absolutely stunning. Ford is going to make such a comeback with the new Taurus. I can't wait to hear about the SHO version.

I can't really think of mush else to say, other than to echo everyone else and say that this out-does the MKS, save for higher-class interior texturing.

I see the grille as more of a relation towards the F150 Platinum grille. I kinda wonder why Ford didn't give the Fusion a grille similar to the Taurus if (assuming) the Fiesta and Focus adopt the same type as the Taurus - logical, right?
I think it's more of a recognition/standing-out marking. Only the highest model of F-150 gets the "electric shaver" grille. Maybe Ford is trying to do the same thing (-ish) with the Taurus? It is quite top-end, after all.

One more thing, and I know this shouldn't be surprising, but...

Doesn't the Taurus in this pic...:
http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2010-taurus/800x600/wallpaper_01.htm

...Look a lot like the G series Falcon in this pic?:
http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2008-fg_falcon_g6e/800x600/wallpaper_01.htm

#16 ·
Re: Ford gets it Sooo D@mn right with new Taurus sedan

OH GOD YES!:D
:) :) :)
&
re: Falcon = YUP
I thought that too (& even my Falcon>>Tbird chop with the eXplorerAmerica grille, *humor me* - link later, will be out all day :( )
think is about the form more than any one/particular detail/design feature
also
there's one main front shot that recalls (to me) some the BEST, & most FORDish styling from the (late?) 60's, 70's, & maybe the 80's too
...will have to re-find it!
I've been saying for a while now that I think the Fusion will get a form of the new grille plugged into the 2010's opening next FALL - maybe as an appearance pkg first then across the range...
...think they just wanted the Taurus to get it first
&
remember, originally the Fusion was supposed to be on sale Now/already - so that would have seriously stolen the Taurus's thunder.

#17 ·
i think it's quite dramatic and good looking. i like the rear of it quite a bit-the chrome bar tying the taillights and logo together is a great retro touch for their flagship. i'm thinking the perforated grille bars might be over-the-top, but that's an extremely minor point.

as to the question of the interior being 'too symmetrical' I think it works design wise quite well. i'm not a fan of symmetry in art, but as far as cars go, the exteriors are symmetrical, and i think in this application it works for the interior as well. again, a minor point, but i think the console looks a bit high-it might lend a confining aspect to the car, especially in a platform that should have very little 'hump' in the floor due to the drivetrain, but i have to admit it looks very expensive and more than a little 'special.'

the car reminds me so much of great Fords of the 60s, i think they should have renamed it the Galaxie.

#19 ·
I had been thinking of the 2010 Fusion, but this is nicer and can't wait to see ecoboost performance #'s for this car. If ecoboost produces the power and economy Ford claims, and they give a performance handling package with it, I will most certainly buy one. The powerdome hood looks great and perhaps the ecoboost model will have a slightly enhanced hood, to set it apart from regular models.

#20 ·
First, I drive nothing but Fords, love them, collect them and would buy a bicycle if they ever stopped making Fords. BUT….. Ford screwed up today, the 2010 Taurus “IS” the car that could bring them back, nice job on a beautiful car, but the Ecoboost motor will not be out in this car until later!!!!!!! and after the car is released??????? I told my dealership 2 months ago that I wanted the first 2010 Taurus sold in Albq, simple I wanted a Limited, loaded with everything you can get on one as they know that is how I buy them, but the Ecoboost motor is coming out later. HUGE MISTAKE FORD, WE WANT ECOBOOST TAURUS”S WHEN THE CAR IS RELEASED. I’m calling to tell them to forget it, after 5 months of waiting on my 2008 Limited Taurus with no delivery date in sight and a spy photo of this car, I cancelled the 08, half pissed, I mean 5 months, then no Ecoboost, I’m half pissed again, which adds up to fully pissed. I’m going to for the first time start looking at other car companies and what they have to offer. And before some one says that they have to release the Ecoboost in the new MKS first, I would say that Lincoln is not going to save Ford motor Co, as Lincoln sales account for only a small % of Fords sales, the Taurus should be the first car to get the V6 Ecoboost motor period.

LeeU

#24 ·
They had better sell this in Australia. It seems like a good competition for the latest Holden Commodore series. I don't understand why it is not here yet.
If Australia and New Zealand get the Taurus, we should get the Falcon to replace the Crown Vic dinosaur (and perhaps the Grand Marquis). Oh, and the ute too. Gotta have that.

Besides, it makes sense in a way. The Commodore is here in the US now (a la Pontiac G8), why not continue the rivalry and bring the Falcon here?

#25 ·
I love this car, but Ford made it so nice I don't understand why most people would pay an 11k+ premium over the Taurus to get an MKS when the MKS really doesn't offer much more than the Taurus besides a higher quality leather and more luxurious interior.

Ford did excellent on this vehicle.

You have it all wrong.
The Limited shown here is probably priced around $35K.
An MKS starts around $38K, and has much of those features as standard. It also comes with a better warranty and the 3.7L. And the diff is hardly $11K.

#26 ·
This thing looks awesome!

did anyone else notice how the Taurus badge almost looks like the classic Taurus badge from 86-95?

Look at the A in the badge!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.