Ford Inside News banner

STARstang: the Beginning?

137K views 432 replies 55 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 · (Edited)
not much of an article imho
but wonder if this is the first foreshadowing for a real Announcement?

Lincoln Wants 2015 Mustang Components for RWD Sedan, Could Be a Study In Ford’s Brand Discipline - Car and Driver
June 22, 2012 at 11:52am by Dave Mable

With development of the all-new 2015 Mustang well underway, the car’s component set—or more precisely, part of its component set—has activated interest in a rear-wheel-drive platform to underpin a Lincoln sedan.

We’ve learned that Ford is contemplating a new four-door platform using the next Mustang’s MacPherson front and new independent rear suspension (spy photos of the new rear setup here) as its basis, along with some of the pony car’s larger underbody stampings. With the manufacturer time and again stating its commitment to the wayward Lincoln brand, moving forward with rear-drive plans would allow the blue oval to back up its words with something of substance. Indeed, key folks in Lincoln’s planning and design departments are on the prowl for rear-drive products that can go head-to-head with Cadillac and other serious luxury makes. There are three possibilities, as outlined below...

More...

See less See more
#243 ·
Did we ever see a Lincstang with the new Lincoln front end, along with trimming down the 'wings' on the side rear a bit.

Another thing.....

It' just odd that Ford has no RWD sedan at all. And the only RWD coupe has no AWD, while iAWD is available on the Ford RWD pick-up trucks and RWD SUVs.

I expect a Mustang refresh for 2017 to not only include new engines and 10-speed transmission, but also an AWD option.

#245 · (Edited)
Did we ever see a Lincstang with the new Lincoln front end, along with trimming down the 'wings' on the side rear a bit.
[img http://gas2.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/lincoln-gt-carscoops.jpg /img]
- Yes - but a very rough one
superquickie CoupeCabrio chop
btw, Bloggin
think maybe the perfect distinction from LincStang to *stang is
the old name goes with the splitwing and new one with the StarShadow
:joyous:

&
here's a serving-suggestion, GT350r Link for new chopping

Another thing.....
It' just odd that Ford has no RWD sedan at all. And the only RWD coupe has no AWD, while iAWD is available on the Ford RWD pick-up trucks and RWD SUVs.
I expect a Mustang refresh for 2017 to not only include new engines and 10-speed transmission, but also an AWD option.
Mustang will need a new platform for AWD.
not necessarily
per a recent post elsewhere about the current Stang have splined front(hubs?)something that are needed for Awd
(think I posted it somewhere)

#249 · (Edited)
via @nruggiero :thumb:
swiped from GMPhotoStore @ facebook

for my next rant for a STARstang shooting brake

& as an intro to Bloggin's post below
Lexus had over 344k sales, with over 100k for RX and over 46k for IS and over 64k for ES, NX at 43k with the rest of the lineup adding less than 30k each.

If Lincoln could just pull half as many sales for MKX, MKZ is doing well at over 30k, but the big gap is a sub-midsize RWD performance sedan that will outsell MKZ.

This new mid-size sedan will need a new platform at least 110 inches. Sharing with Focus won't work. But Lincoln has no option but to produce this RWD/AWD sedan if they want to compete with the competition or reach the 300k sales number for 2020. They can't get there without this model. BMW, MB or Lexus could not get there either.
New *** 'should' become the new performance sedan, produced from round up to compete in that segment globally. Following in GM's footsteps, the new RWD/AWD platform for '***' would also be used as the new platform for next gen Mustang. Mustang needs this for a lighter platform and AWD. This is not rocket science....GM has already shown us what the plan is and how it works. Remember.....there is a 'white space' sedan in the plan for Lincoln.
MKZ has to move up to fill the space the current MKS holds. ES has already moved up market and left MKZ behind. 2017 MKZ update should help, but new model is needed with more interior and trunk volume, and more of a smaller sibling of the New Continental from end to end.

WOW, Bloggin, re:

I'd love it if you'd 'expound' on your vision in the STARstang thread...
...I'm possibly Stuck with thinking of it/them as Only over-$50k
&
not sure about making the Z significantly larger - imho a good part of the 3rd gen CTS's problem is girth
as well as price-girth too of course

edit
just now wondering about using "Mark" for the *stangs BUT not alone
since I've 'got' electros as well as petrol(-plug-ins & E-wds), thinking:
Mark E
Mark H?
Mark R?
Mark ?

Attachments

#251 · (Edited)
so ^:thumb: @Bloggin
...I'm possibly Stuck with thinking of it/them as Only over-$50k...
what I really would like to know is
What feature-set would allow a STARstang to start (well-)under $50k

specifically-since, imho,
it'd be sooo easy to NOT do that:
...2.7t
+ Awd / Virtual-Awd
+ room for 4 adults

= well worth $50k or more

#250 ·
I wonder how much was really changed with the 'new' Mustang platform. I expect they did as much light weighting as possible

Here is the S550 platform:

All that's needed is to stretch 3 inches to 110, even more light weighting, create an aluminum sedan top hat,

Here is a previous gen Mustang with AWD added, so there is no question that it can be done.

#255 · (Edited)
just attaching a reminder & inspiration from facebook

"Oldtimers Américains" album: Lincoln KB

Lincoln KB - Brunn Convertible Victoria

- - - - - - -

more "inspiration" (boot in butt / kick upside the head)
BMW 330e and 740e plug-in hybrids
Freep
Mark Phelan - January 13, 2016

BMW builds on the success of its radical i3 and i8 electric vehicle and hybrid with plug-in hybrid versions of two of its most popular mainstream models, the 3-series sport sedan and d7-series large sedan.

The 330e cand go 22 miles on battery power and has a total cruising range of 373 miles on combined electric and gasoline power. The four-cylinder engine and electric motor produce a combined 248 hp and 310 pound-feet of torque.

Prices for the 330e will start at $43,700 when it goes on sale this spring.

Arriving in the summer, the 740e plug-in has 326 hp total power. It can cover 23 miles and reach 75 mph on battery power. Prices will be announced closer to its sales launch.

- - - - - - -

with MODES!:
• AUTO eDRIVE mode
• MAX eDRIVE mode
• SAVE BATTERY mode
• Predictive selection

- - - - - - -

will hafta re-visit this when the configurator is up** to see how much they ADD for basic amenities...
** oh! better check now - this ain't FLincMoCo afterall

Attachments

#258 ·
since I just posted about the Genesis 3-series alternative, the NY-Concept
& Tesla is supposedly going to show at least a picture of their confirmed Model III the end of March
wondering
by April Fools' Day... what Lux(ish) Brand will be left without an indication of being in the "Highest Luxury Segment"...

...other than Lincoln??

#259 · (Edited)
STARstang Sportsedan, 'S654' = 4" wlb stretch;
50% Model 3 + 30% MusStang + 10% Conti + 5% each MKZ/DrvPkg & Other

note: got burned out by the time I got to the TLs,
they should have a touch of GenesisNYCconcept plus lamps like Conti HLs but sideways...

Attachments

#260 ·
MBStang
via CarSpyShots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice
So what's going on here, a shorter wheelbase Mercedes S Class coupe mule, outside AMG headquarters.
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/amg-mystery-mule-spotted/34152
A next gen SL mule? New AMG GT? E-Class coupe? Merc engine Aston Martin mule?

Why put an odd looking SWB S body on it, its not a quick cut and shut, its a pretty well finished body, and there's no swirly camo either. GT is still fairly new, so a new SL or AMG Aston is a more probable explanation. Any other ideas?

#263 · (Edited)
leaving aside the nextgen STARstang (previous page)

tried to smoosh 3 charts + some Pdf-stuff together, just re: Lincoln
So Genesis has a near luxury MKA and MKM coming also...

*IF*
Lincoln comes out with an MKA-&or-MKM for cy2017/2018my...
assuming that'd have to be on S550, not S650...
I'm wondering if just having these 2 drivetrains:
- 3.0T (just for the exclusivity / non-competition clause)
- #.#T-ENergi ...maybe with an equal 400+ total HP?, ½turbo ½electro...
but
...nope, can't get over the need for a longer wlb to make the rearseat usable :(

#264 ·
leaving aside the nextgen STARstang (previous page)

*IF*
Lincoln comes out with an MKA-&or-MKM for cy2017/2018my...
assuming that'd have to be on S550, not S650...
I'm wondering if just having these 2 drivetrains:
- 3.0T (just for the exclusivity / non-competition clause)
- #.#T-ENergi ...maybe with an equal 400+ total HP?, ½turbo ½electro...
but
...nope, can't get over the need for a longer wlb to make the rearseat usable :(
It's not totally out of the question that an S650 Lincoln could debut for the 2018 model year assuming S650 is simply an advanced S550.

1. If the above is true then the additional engineering was unlikely to take 5 years until the next Mustang debuts.
2. If the above is true then it's highly likely that S550 and S650 could be built on the same production line.
3. If the above is true they could debut the Lincoln early, but still want to continue getting a return on the S550 Mustang before 7G arrives.

I don't know that that scenario is likely, but it sounds plausible.

#272 ·
^'nother thought
(since the '''LincStang(s)''' have been under development from At Least 2007 (see Mr.M. interview circa 2008?))
wonder if
TeamLincoln might be using a NUMBER of diff NAMES in-studio(!) to see which mental-image produces the best/desired results?

ref: how Continental development (allegedly) only progressed successfully after switching from calling it the MKS-2

#275 ·
This has me thinking....

With the possibility that the New Continental is using a modified version of the 'D3' platform, it could be that the new platform Lincoln is building is also based on this same platform. This platform that is already being stretched for limo duty, that could make a new large Lincoln sedan. This base platform that has been paid for for quite some time. The economies make too much sense. Take what works, modify to make it better, it's new again.

#277 ·
afaik, FoMoCo has never said what platform or architecture is being used for the Continental...
...and I haven't been ignoring that issue - - esp since I started calling the car the MKS-wic quite some time ago

"wic" = whatever it's called

edit
afaik the future & so-called cD6 won't be a simple update of the D3/4 used for the MKS & T

#280 ·
Ford had been so invested in reworking old and "borrowed" platforms that it is easy to understand why anyone would be suspicious of Ford's platform announcements or non-announcements these days. Ford has been so platform-poor over the last two decades as to have garnered ridicule. Ford of Europe came to the rescue but it was too late; wholesale pilfering of platforms from Volvo and Mazda had taken its toll.

Now, the announcement that it is investing billions in a new platform is being regarded with suspicion right here in FIN. Once you establish a reputation, it's hard to live down. Why do you think Lincoln is only now beginning to re-establish itself in the market? One can only hope that the Fields regime is consciously fighting to right the ship. The D6 will tell the tale ... or not.

#281 · (Edited)
^ I don't regard cD6 with suspicion, glyphics...

^^ @badhac , might you have time to go searching for that Conti=CD4 mention? (esp that it wasn't the CONCEPT)

I remember outsiders saying it but no one from FoMoCo

...with
the possible misconstruable-exception of the future cD6 being derived from CD4
altho
it's rare FoMoCo says ANYthing about future product on the record

#283 ·
^ I don't regard cD6 with suspicion, glyphics...

^^
Badhac, might you have time to go searching for that Conti=CD4 mention? (esp that it wasn't the CONCEPT)

I remember outsiders saying it but no one from FoMoCo

...with
the possible misconstruable-exception of the future cD6 being derived from CD4
altho
it's rare FoMoCo says ANYthing about future product on the record
It does sound like the CD6 is where RWD comes to play, but if the need is FWD/AWD, a modified version of the CD3 fits the bill structurally and financially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.