Ford Inside News banner

Tragic news from the North Pole

11K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  SobeSVT 
#1 ·
This was bound to happen sooner or later.

See less See more
#4 ·
I think it was disgraceful that she came so close to be the Vice president of the United States. She is still a disgrace for Alaska's people and . . . wildlife.
SobeSVT, the woman may not have your opinions, in fact, you may not agree on anything, but she is not disgraceful. In fact she is a very graceful lady!! Pretty, Nice kids, killer smile,

You seem to be to extremist in your political opinions. Like a Sith lord. Somehow anyone who does not worship at the alter of liberal politics is a disgrace some sort of moron?

#5 ·
SobeSVT, the woman may not have your opinions, in fact, you may not agree on anything, but she is not disgraceful. In fact she is a very graceful lady!! Pretty, Nice kids, killer smile,

You seem to be to extremist in your political opinions. Like a Sith lord. Somehow anyone who does not worship at the alter of liberal politics is a disgrace some sort of moron?
Funny you said that. As I was watching the actual Frost/Nixon interview I was wondering how could such a brilliant man could have gone so wrong. There's your actual Sith Lord/Dart Vader/Emperor.

I don't necessarily disagree with conservatives ideas or views, but I certainly am disgusted with conservative politics. Nominating such an unprepared person as Sarah Palin just to regain the most conservative vote, which never was particularly excited about John McCain (a very decent man who I wouldn't have minded at all having as president) was the lowest point of the GOP.

Don't take my word on it, see what David Brooks of the American Enterprise Institute the most conservative think tank in Washington and a certified conservative ideologist had to say about Palin:

[Sarah Palin] represents a fatal cancer to the republican party. When I first started in journalism, I worked at the National Review for Bill Buckley. And Buckley famously said he'd rather be ruled by the first 2,000 names in the Boston phone book than by the Harvard faculty. But he didn't think those were the only two options. He thought it was important to have people on the conservative side who celebrated ideas, who celebrated learning. And his whole life was based on that, and that was also true for a lot of the other conservatives in the Reagan era. Reagan had an immense faith in the power of ideas. But there has been a counter, more populist tradition, which is not only to scorn liberal ideas but to scorn ideas entirely. And I'm afraid that Sarah Palin has those prejudices. I think President Bush has those prejudices.​

Gladly, the American people saw her for what she was.

#6 ·
Sarah Palin is an undereducated piece of eye candy that was pulled out of her native habitat to try and counter the view of the public that the Republican nominee for President looked as if he could die one month down the road. She looked young and had a tendency to overbreed which is a hallmark of any fine god fearing Republican. Obviously, McCain's camp never got past her looks to investigate the goings on in her family. Such as her knocked up daughter and her white supremacist boyfriend. Not to mention the rumors implying that she and her husband were reputed to be swingers.

Myself being historically a Republican, albeit a moderate one, could not bring myself to vote Republican in the past election. But then again I never could bring myself to vote for W either for reasons far too obvious to go into.

After writing this I am beginning to question my loyalty to my party. But one should never just vote by partylines, one should determine if one feels confident that the candidate can do the job regardless of party affiliation. It's been a while since the Republicans have presented such a candidate. But in four years another opportunity will present itself and I am confident that Mrs. Palin will not be on the ticket in any manner.

My first and last political post.

#7 ·
Sarah Palin is an undereducated piece of eye candy that was pulled out of her native habitat to try and counter the view of the public that the Republican nominee for President looked as if he could die one month down the road. She looked young and had a tendency to overbreed which is a hallmark of any fine god fearing Republican. Obviously, McCain's camp never got past her looks to investigate the goings on in her family. Such as her knocked up daughter and her white supremacist boyfriend. Not to mention the rumors implying that she and her husband were reputed to be swingers.
Myself being historically a Republican, albeit a moderate one, could not bring myself to vote Republican in the past election. But then again I never could bring myself to vote for W either for reasons far too obvious to go into.

After writing this I am beginning to question my loyalty to my party. But one should never just vote by partylines, one should determine if one feels confident that the candidate can do the job regardless of party affiliation. It's been a while since the Republicans have presented such a candidate. But in four years another opportunity will present itself and I am confident that Mrs. Palin will not be on the ticket in any manner.

My first and last political post.
Oh oh, what about the personal and bedroom life of the Mrs Palin? That s her business, only hers.

She is a nice, good looking girl ,that show some inteligence and a lot of charisma.

I like Sarah Palin.... sorry Sobe!

#9 ·
The picture is very funny. It is too sad that like Pelosi, SobeSVT adopts this life or death attitude towards everything.

Just so you know, Sarah Palin was a journalist with a college Degree is a mother of five and has built her political career from the ground up, without a political machine behind her.
The folks that love her do so because she is like them and does not ooze uptown sophistication and can make decisions on national issues like they would. (Think Joe the plumber). She is a practical regular person who went into politics, from the PTA upwards.

If being sophisticated makes one qualified for public office, why is this country in soo many problems? Why haven’t all those blue blood republicans and sophisticated democrats solved our problems?

We need practical people like Sarah in Washington. Not the weekend talk show circuit types that got us into all the problems we are in.

#10 ·
Just so you know, Sarah Palin was a journalist with a college Degree is a mother of five and has built her political career from the ground up, without a political machine behind her.
The folks that love her do so because she is like them and does not ooze uptown sophistication and can make decisions on national issues like they would. (Think Joe the plumber). She is a practical regular person who went into politics, from the PTA upwards.

If being sophisticated makes one qualified for public office, why is this country in soo many problems? Why haven’t all those blue blood republicans and sophisticated democrats solved our problems?

We need practical people like Sarah in Washington. Not the weekend talk show circuit types that got us into all the problems we are in.
I agree Tahoe. Very well said.

#11 ·
I agree Tahoe. Very well said.
Being a mother myself, I support Sarah fully. Yes she is not sophisticated or hip for the LA and Manhattan crowd. But she has achieve what few mothers with a college degree and kids achieve. She is governor of a state. She has to have some brains to pull it off.

She has a lovely ordinary family, that is like most typical American Families. Loathing this woman is loathing a typical mother.

She is also quite pretty. I would not mind it if one of my boys brought a woman like that home for a future daughter inlaw.

#12 ·
^ You're exactly right Tahoe.

That is one of the main reasons as to why I like Sarah Palin so much. She is very down to earth, not some uptown snob of a politician. I'm not a women, but I am so glad to see a woman like Sarah Palin accomplish so much. She has raised, well still raising a family, she is Governor of Alaska and she made a run for Vice President. And maybe one day we will have the privilege of calling Mrs. Sarah Palin President of the United States.

#15 ·

mchicha,

I do not want to sound the bit sexist at all, because I am definitely not in the slightest.I was told by a friend who works at a auto dealer, and he does not write on here, but this is what he told me when I was looking "around" for a new car years ago. Anyone can build looks into a car, but that does not always mean it is a good car." After he told me this I changed my mind from a foreign car maker to my favorite car maker, Ford. Ever since I have not looked back.

Now back to Palin, I am sure she meant well when she was in the spotlight, and i feel a little bad for her because I think the Republican National Committee saw her as their falter, and is going to watcher a little more for her finances and anything that hiccups up there. Only time will tell though.

Again, I do not want my opinions to seem harsh or sexist, but they are mine and I am not sexist or prejudice at all in the slightest.

#16 ·
There is a theme in the pro-Palin posts that seems to equate her looks with capability. Whether or not anyone means to link the two, the reality is that she never demonstrated any real grasp of issues or solutions when she was given a national platform from which to do so.

I do not, with very few exceptions, want any of my neighbors to run this country. The average person tends to look at things in black and white, overly simplistic terms and generally responds on an emotional level when coolness is called for.

Unfortunately, our professional politicians are too often about self-promotion and perpetuating their own careers to focus on well-thought-out, common-sense approaches to solving tough problems. And the "average" person who can exhibit those traits won't put up with the scrutiny and personal attacks that every campaign now seems to involve.

From what I've read and observed, Sarah Palin, as a national candidate, has risen above her competency level. There are many women in both parties who have demonstrated far more capability and intellect than has Palin. And some of them were governors of far more populous states than Alaska.

As for Sarah Palin's degree and journalism career, she was not a print journalist reporting on issues. She was a TV sports reporter. That does not translate into accomplishment, IMHO, since pretty girls in sports is an on-going trend that has produced few serious journalists.

I view Palin as a more enticingly packaged version of Bush 43, but perhaps even more socially conservative and comfortable with imposing her morality on the rest of us. She'll even do it with a stunningly attractive smile.

#17 ·
There is a theme in the pro-Palin posts that seems to equate her looks with capability. Whether or not anyone means to link the two, the reality is that she never demonstrated any real grasp of issues or solutions when she was given a national platform from which to do so.

I do not, with very few exceptions, want any of my neighbors to run this country. The average person tends to look at things in black and white, overly simplistic terms and generally responds on an emotional level when coolness is called for.

Unfortunately, our professional politicians are too often about self-promotion and perpetuating their own careers to focus on well-thought-out, common-sense approaches to solving tough problems. And the "average" person who can exhibit those traits won't put up with the scrutiny and personal attacks that every campaign now seems to involve.

From what I've read and observed, Sarah Palin, as a national candidate, has risen above her competency level. There are many women in both parties who have demonstrated far more capability and intellect than has Palin. And some of them were governors of far more populous states than Alaska.

As for Sarah Palin's degree and journalism career, she was not a print journalist reporting on issues. She was a TV sports reporter. That does not translate into accomplishment, IMHO, since pretty girls in sports is an on-going trend that has produced few serious journalists.

I view Palin as a more enticingly packaged version of Bush 43, but perhaps even more socially conservative and comfortable with imposing her morality on the rest of us. She'll even do it with a stunningly attractive smile.
That sums it all up beautifully.

#18 ·

Now, do you think the picture is funny or, there is nothing amusing about it?

#20 ·
Now, do you think the picture is funny or, there is nothing amusing about it?
Oh, I think the picture is funny regardless of who is standing there holding the gun. Sarah Palin as the hunter puts a little extra twist on it, given the attention she received as a hunter combined with some of her cluelessness as a candidate for VP.

Dick Cheney would be funny for entirely different reasons (think accidental shoot-down).

Lest you think I'm bashing only Republicans, I tried to think of examples from the Democratic side of the aisle but none of them looked like they should even be holding a gun (remember Mike Dukakis and the tank?).

#21 ·
Oh, I think the picture is funny regardless of who is standing there holding the gun. Sarah Palin as the hunter puts a little extra twist on it, given the attention she received as a hunter combined with some of her cluelessness as a candidate for VP.

Dick Cheney would be funny for entirely different reasons (think accidental shoot-down).

Lest you think I'm bashing only Republicans, I tried to think of examples from the Democratic side of the aisle but none of them looked like they should even be holding a gun (remember Mike Dukakis and the tank?).
Who could ever forget John Kerry in hunting gear?

What a lousy candidate, he made us end up with a lousy president. Talk about a lose lose situation. Although Kerry would have made a great president . . . oh, well.

#22 ·

Mike in a tank was funny. It reminded me of this

My advice, If Cheney invites you to go hunting, please tell him politely that you will be out of the country. You do not want to cause your mother some grief.

#25 ·
Sarah is qualified to be President more than Obama. Simply because she is not pandering to you and the left does not disqualify her. She will be back.

Character assassins are what some of you are. You cannot have a decent public discourse on issues and result to names and innuendos. And you call yourself informed and intelligent? Phpppleeease!!!

#26 ·
Character assassins are what some of you are. You cannot have a decent public discourse on issues and result to names and innuendos. And you call yourself informed and intelligent? Phpppleeease!!!
Let's differentiate between legitimate differences of opinion and character assassination.

There is nothing in my posts that comes anywhere near character assassination. It's a fact that she is far more conservative than many; that's precisely why McCain selected her and it's precisely why the Republican base rallyed around him after being somewhat ambivalent about him.

It's also a fact that she was not a journalist in the way most people perceive that term. While you and I could disagree on this point, I don't consider a sports reporter to be a journalist in the mold of a Ted Koppel or Edward R. Murrow. She wasn't reporting on issues and it shows in her lack of familiarity with them.

Is she intelligent and could she learn? That's a whole other discussion but suffice to say that I don't doubt her ability to learn the issues.

As to her qualifications, she really doesn't compare with Obama. She was mayor of a rural town and governor for only two years. Her most widely touted accomplishments are in some question. The sale of the plane on eBay, for example, apparently never completed. The agreements with the oil companies are still in progress and may not happen due to some of the terms she is trying to impose. She also opposed the highway to nowhere but took the federal money anyway. And, in the end, she left Wasilla with a $1.2M tab after she ordered the start of construction for a sports complex on land the city didn't own. That tab is still increasing as the legal battles continue to unfold.

By contrast, Obama was a constitutional law professor who also worked to help the community and who recieved enough recognition to have people approaching him to serve on boards. He was a legislator and a Senator and dealt with policy issues over a period of many years. His speech in Philadephia on race relations may be remembered as one of the best ever made. And he has surrounded himself with accomplished people, including those who have been his rivals. By contrast, as mayor of Wasilla, Sarah Palin drove most accomplished people from office and replaced them with friends.

So, yes, I disagree with Sarah Palin and would not support her for national office if she runs again while still presenting the same image and positions. I also respect her right to hold those positions and would defend her right to espouse them.

Lastly, on the subject of intelligent and informed debate, I'd love to hear you detail why you believe that Palin is more qualified than Obama in at least the same specificity as I've stated my case above. After all, simply accusing people of character assassination is pretty much also the act of character assassination unless you have some data points to prove the charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.