Ford Inside News banner

2017 Continental Reviews

134K views 635 replies 40 participants last post by  Bloggin 
#1 · (Edited)
Lincoln just rolled out one of the most hyped cars of the year — here's the verdict
Business Insider

By Matthew DeBord

The Lincoln Continental is just one of those cars. It really isn't even a car — it's an ideal, a dream, an evocation.

Ford introduced the Continental in the late 1930s, and over the decades it was conjoined with American history, most tragically in 1963, when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas while riding in a 1961 Continental limousine.

Ford discontinued the Continental as its flagship Lincoln luxury sedan in 2002, but the nameplate never really went away. You could say that it haunted Ford.

And then, in 2015, a new Continental concept car took the New York auto show by storm. Ford had considered killing off Lincoln after the financial crisis but decided against it and put billions into a revival of the brand. By 2016 we saw the production version of the big new sedan as it hit the car-show circuit.

More recently, as autumn settled in the Northeast, we finally found ourselves behind the wheel of a 2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve with all-wheel drive, stickered at $56,000 but then benefitting from about $20,000 worth of options, taking the final price up to $76,000.

Does the new Continental live up to expectations — not to mention the lofty reputation of its name?

Read on to find out:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 2017 Continental Review: Business Insider

Just a few quotes from the article....

"Smooth."

"The color was Burgundy Velvet Metallic, and it was hypnotically gorgeous."

"Our tester had some elegantly aggressive alloy wheels."

"Very low-key Continental callouts. The mood is reminiscent of the legendary Lincolns of the 1960s, which were cool and conservative — a response to the flamboyant car designs of the 1950s."

"The door handles are stunning automotive sculpture, crafted in chrome."

"The interior for our test car was Cappuccino Luxury Leather, and it swaddled me in plushness. The comfort level inside this sedan sets a new standard for Lincoln — and I've always had a weakness for Lincoln comfort."

"Comfort starts with the seats — and Ford has the best seats in the business. The Continental's 30-way adjustable rolling thrones, front and rear, are mind-boggling. These seats massage you. And they're both heated and cooled. They are utterly magnificent."

"Wood trim is subdued, but it exudes quality. You could be excused for thinking you had been transported into a Bentley."

"The back seat is incredibly roomy — Lincoln is expanding in markets where limo-duty is prevalent, such as China, so the back seats need to be superb in a classic limo design like the Continental."

"The truck is massive. The Continental can inhale more luggage than many SUVs."

"Lincoln has borrowed a page from the Lexus playbook and refined it, adding a healthy does of American cool."

"But I didn't want to put the car in cruise control! I wanted to drive it and drive it and drive it some more, down a long American highway, with a little Oscar Peterson or Stan Getz on the stereo."

"This car is for the smooth rollers in life. And if you aren't a smooth roller, the Continental might make you want to be one."

#4 · (Edited)
Continental: Customer Review

Nick Mayer Lincoln sells the first Continental in the U.S.
Cleveland.com

Photo Credit:Lincoln Motor Company

Cleveland's been coming up with a lot of "firsts" this year. From the Cavaliers and Monsters to Stipe Miocic and the Indians, our town is on a roll.

Now add Nick Mayer Lincoln in Westlake.

Nick Mayer sold the very first 2017 Lincoln Continental in the country last month, welcoming back the storied nameplate from a decade and a half hiatus. The first new Continental sold in the U.S. was picked up by William Litscomb of Fairview Park.

"I knew it was the first one in Northeast Ohio, but I didn't know it was the first in the country until today," said Litscomb, who has driven three previous Lincolns. "I was coming out of a lease on an MKZ and was back in to pick up another one. My salesman was doing the paperwork, when he asked me if I'd seen the new Continental. That's when he told me there was one outside."

Litscomb grabbed the keys to the Continental, which had just rolled off the truck.

"Once I sat in it, I just knew I had to have it right then and there," said Litscomb. "It had all the options I wanted and none of the things I didn't care about. It was almost as if it was made just for me.

"The Continental was on my bucket list, but I had crossed it off because they quit making it in 2002," added Litscomb. "I knew it was coming back out, but I thought it might be out of my price range. But it was a lot more affordable than I ever thought."

Behind the wheel for more than month now, Litscomb loves the way the new Lincoln handles as well as its quiet smooth ride.

"It's very roomy, which is something I like," said Litscomb. "It also has a ton of features and options."

Litscomb also likes the way the vehicle's engineers have paid attention to small details, which make the ownership experience that much more pleasurable.

"For instance, you can't leave fingerprints on the touch screen," he said.

"A lot of people like the attention to detail that Lincoln has engineered into the new Continental," said Chad Mayer, general manager of the dealership. "The engineers did an amazing job of designing in small details."

Take the 30-way perfect position seats for example. They give you 30 different combinations for adjusting your seat so you find just the right position so you are comfortable behind the wheel, even for extended periods of time.

"You can even adjust the angle of your left hamstring while your right foot is on the accelerator," said Mayer. "They did a lot of things like that with the new Continental. The engineers took their time and really tried to bring some unique features to the vehicle."

Take a test drive, and you'll immediately notice these world class refinements, including something called "approach detection technology." As you approach with the key in your hand, LED signature lighting in the lower front fascia and tail lamps subtly engages, while signature lighting in the headlamps awakens in a fluid motion. Lincoln mat lights then brighten the pavement around the front doors, helping show any hazards, while select interior lights warmly illuminate the cabin.

The door handles are designed to offer elegant and effortless entry with new E-latch door release. The release is discreetly integrated within the beltline, leaving the body side clean. With the gentle touch of a button, the vehicle's doors pop open, then use available power-cinching technology to automatically close and secure.

"The Continental name has long been associated with the ultimate in Lincoln beauty and luxury," said Kumar Galhotra, president of Lincoln. "With the all-new model, we are focusing on creating more human, personally tailored experiences for our clients – providing what we call quiet luxury."

The return of the Continental is automotive history, pure and simple. And the vehicle's designers have gone all out to offer sedan worthy of its name. Its design is thoroughly modern, with a new signature grille and athletic pose that is at once aggressive and dynamic. And there are 400 horses under the hood.

You'll be reading more about Lincoln's new flagship in the very near future. For now, congratulations to Nick Mayer Lincoln in Westlake and William Litscomb of Fairview Park, for being the very first in the country to put the new sedan back on the road.

#5 ·

Full review of the 2017 Lincoln Continental
TimesFreePress

The 2017 Lincoln Continental is a reimagining of a 20th century icon.

Photo by Contributed Photo /Times Free Press.

I've never really believed that a single feature could seal the deal on an automobile purchase.

But I've changed my mind after experiencing the sumptuous, 30-way adjustable seats in the 2017 Lincoln Continental, a 21st century re-imagining of one of the iconic luxury cars of the 20th century.

About five minutes into my test drive, I was hunting buttons to lower the driver's-side window when I accidentally activated the seat massage feature. Immediately I felt pressure building on both sides of my lower back and traveling up my spine. Within seconds, I could feel my shoulders drop as I relaxed into the sensation.

Oh, my.

Soon, I discovered another feature that lets you adjust thigh support in the front seats individually, which worked like magic on my sciatica.

Actor and pitchman Matthew McConaughey — he of the backward pool dive — may represent the younger face of Lincoln, but these seats are exactly why seniors and near-seniors like me will be drawn to the 2017 Lincoln. As more and more luxury car makers try to inject high performance features into their vehicles, Lincoln has gone back to basics. The company says the flagship sedan has been designed to provide a "personal sanctuary."

In other words, they are putting the luxury back into luxury cars. I don't know about you, but I'll take a "personal sanctuary" over a neck-snapping 0-60 mph sprint any time.

Doug Cawood, sales manager at Mountain View Ford Lincoln on East 20th Street in Chattanooga, said earlier this week he had two 2017 Continentals on the ground and more of them on the way. A hot new Continental with a 400-horsepower engine is expected down the road, Cawood said.

Our $60,250 tester was equipped with a 2.7-liter turbocharged V-6 engine that makes 335 horsepower; and there's a normally aspirated 305-horsepower 3.7-liter engine option available, as well. The 400-horsepower model will be equipped with a 3.0-liter engine with twin turbochargers. All Continental trims are available with all-wheel-drive as an option.

Our White Platinum Tri-coat tester is out-fitted in Reserve trim, the highest of three grades. The tester has a sticker price of $60,250, while base Continentals start at $45,485.

STYLING AND FEATURES

The sleek lines and mesh grille of the Continental look like something you'd see at a Jaguar dealership. Unlike the massive Lincoln land yachts of 60 years ago that used to compete with Cadillac Fleetwoods for the title of king of the road, the 2017 Continental has a svelte profile based on the mid-size Ford Fusion.

Besides the mesh grille, one of the most distinctive designs on the Lincoln are door handles that are molded directly into the car's belt line. The Platinum Tri-coat paint has a deep luster that makes it look like the car is sculpted from a giant pearl. Folding side mirrors and a foot-activated trunk lid are practical touches.

When compared to the early 2000s Continentals, the new Lincoln flagship is an entirely new species. A replacement for the MKS, the Continental may have the most comfortable interior this side of a Mercedes S-Class, which costs up to twice as much.

In the competitive international luxury market (read China) back seats are the new front seats. And the Continental has limousine quality rear quarters including climate-controlled, reclining seats clad in ultra-soft leather.

Up front, meanwhile, a wrap-around cockpit includes a deeply padded dash with gleaming wood trim on the doors, center stack and steering wheel. Standard equipment includes ambient lighting, heated and cool front seats, one-touch windows and tri-zone temperature controls. Options on our tester include a huge, twin-panel sun roof ($1,750); the deluxe, 30-way seats ($1,500); and 20-inch polished aluminum wheels ($750).

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS

The 2017 Continental competes with the Audi A6, the Cadillac CTS and the Lexus GS, so the driving experience meets or exceeds the segment's lofty standards — and it does.

The turbocharged V-6 in our tester is a testament to the power (325 horsepower) that can be squeezed out of a small-displacement engine these days. While the powertrain isn't pin-your-shoulders-back strong, it's more than adequate for point-and-shoot driving. Plant your right foot in the throttle, and charging up a freeway ramp can be an adventure.

On our test drive on Interstate 24 and on Highway 41 near Raccoon Mountain the Lincoln handled like a dream. Sight lines are a bit pinched by the raked windshield and swept rear window, but the driving experience overall is excellent.

BOTTOM LINE

For mature folks, like me, the rebirth of the Continental is a smile-inducing event that brings back fond childhood memories.

For younger customers (read under 50) the Continental offers a blend of comfort and performance that is on par with the best of the luxury imports — at a competitive price.

#6 ·

TimesFreePress said:
...The 2017 Continental competes with the Audi A6, the Cadillac CTS and the Lexus GS...
204.1 - 122.4 - 73.9 - 57.9 - Cadillac CT6
cough*
202.2 - 117.8 - 76.7 - 57.5 - Audi A8 (not L)
cough*
202.0 - 111.7 - 72.9 - 59.4 - Cadillac XTS
cough*
201.4 - 117.9 - 78.1 - 58.5 - 2017 Continental
cough*
195.5 - 114.6 - 72.2 - 57.2 - Cadillac CTS gen3
cough*
193.9 - 114.7 - 73.8 - 57.8 - Audi A6 (2013)
cough*
193.0 - 112.2 - 75.1 - 58.1 - Lincoln MKZ 2017

haven't bothered to get current Lexoids

#12 ·

204.1 - 122.4 - 73.9 - 57.9 - Cadillac CT6
cough*
202.2 - 117.8 - 76.7 - 57.5 - Audi A8 (not L)
cough*
202.0 - 111.7 - 72.9 - 59.4 - Cadillac XTS
cough*
201.4 - 117.9 - 78.1 - 58.5 - 2017 Continental
cough*
195.5 - 114.6 - 72.2 - 57.2 - Cadillac CTS gen3
cough*
193.9 - 114.7 - 73.8 - 57.8 - Audi A6 (2013)
cough*
193.0 - 112.2 - 75.1 - 58.1 - Lincoln MKZ 2017

haven't bothered to get current Lexoids
This how Car & Driver is ranking the midsize luxury cars, with the Lincoln Continental yet to be ranked. Seriously, I don't understand their logic.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Lets be honest its not a sports sedan in anyway and it would rank with the Lexus in this class dead last. Which is not in anyway bad, its a luxury sedan with a luxury ride which is fine by me. Because when I buy a luxury car I want it to ride well like a luxury car should smooth. If i want a sports car ride I get a sports car. The magazines always try too judge every car first as how good of a sports car can it be. They never seem to test how good of a luxury car can it be where comfort is first on the list. This Lincoln is what a Lincoln should be American Luxury not an Audi with lots of tire noise. I always been told don't buy something because someone said its the best, but go find out for yourself if its best for you. I do not need a magazine to tell me if its good, i will know for myself after the first drive. The only thing the magazines are good for is there test numbers.

#14 ·
Eagle F1 tires are standared on some trim levels. Together with it’s variable dampening and advanced AWD, aggressive shift points and steering that firms up – all when you engage the S mode, not to mention 400hp…..I would not discount it as a sport sedan. It should easily easily outperform previous MKS, which was considered sporty.

#24 ·
Modified Continentals are starting to surface.

Attachments

#25 ·
Too soon! :crying2:

#29 ·
Another review saying panel gap issues. They have GOT to get quality control better for the Conti.

#30 ·
I personally would like for them to show pictures of the gaps. The panel gaps were the only potential legit complaint; material choice and steering feel, is all about personal preference.

Overall I thought it was a good review of the car itself, unlike the C&D review of the MKZ. Lincoln overall is making baby steps but the one thing I do fully agree with the article on is Lincoln needs a leap, not continued baby steps.

#32 · (Edited)
Another review saying panel gap issues. They have GOT to get quality control better for the Conti.
I personally would like for them to show pictures of the gaps...
personally, I just don't believe panel gap complaints by the (ugh)Media

...like the photo I took :angel of a Lexoid's gap

>:)

#35 ·
No the panel gap is definitely undeniably in need of improvement. Look at this picture, it's terrible. I'm sure these kinks will be worked out after a model year, but tbh they should have never left the factory like this.

#139 ·
No the panel gap is definitely undeniably in need of improvement. Look at this picture, it's terrible. I'm sure these kinks will be worked out after a model year, but tbh they should have never left the factory like this.

Every car maker has issues when they roll out a product. Considering the basic Fiestas and Mustangs at my local Ford dealer were showing a high level of build quality that would make Audi blush with embarrassment....this is a temporary thing.

#36 · (Edited)
I hate to say it but the Lincoln should not be made on the Mustang line in Flat Rock they really do bad work. Every mustang that comes out is a hit or miss on panel gap lineup. Its either the workers or the engineers but Ford needs to work on there Quality Control. I'd pay 500 dollars extra to have the cars come out of Flat Rock with nicer panel gaps on the Mustang and nicer paint. The American employees that do the Lincoln Line and Mustang Line really need to step it up! Especially when the Mexican line that makes the MKZ have no such problems. Sorry for the rant but the American side needs to put out a quality product so we can keep the jobs here.

#37 ·
Makes me miss Wixom. I don't think Town Cars or LSs had problems like that from what I can remember. My LS that I had never had any panel gaps/misalignments.

#38 ·
Hello, I have been active on a number of forums but only a lurker here until now. I have examined a number of new Continentals, driven 3 different ones and spent some time with a Lincoln rep who trains dealership personnel. I want to weigh in on this panel gap issue.

This problem affected early models and has been remedied. The rep that I spoke with had an early build model with these issues and we discussed it. The dealership where he was training the staff also had later builds. The areas of concern were the fender to door area and the trunk lid. The photo below is of a model that was built more recently. This is one of the cars that I test-drove.

#42 · (Edited)
^ :thumb: @iculookn
&
since THIS review supports MY CANDIDATE ;) it deserves more coverage :D

5 Reasons We Want to Live Inside the All-New Lincoln Continental

Homelessness might not be so bad after all
Maxim.com

Patrick Carone - 4 hours ago
[img =nothing original= /img]

...at the 2015 New York Auto Show ... At the time we noted: “Setting aside the overused chrome—10 Harleys appear to have been melted down and poured over the Lincoln—the Conti’s plush blue, Pan Am-style interior and powerful presence could make for the first no-apologies Lincoln in ages.” Turns out our writer was on to something.

It's a model with a deep history. The very first Lincoln Continental rolled off the line in 1939, originally conceived to be the personal ride of no less than Ford Motor Company President Edsel Ford. The luxury icon glided along through nine generations of models until 2002, ending that phase of its life as the ubiquitous favorite of mustachioed livery cab drivers.

We recently spent a long weekend with the all-new 2017 Continental, driving from the bustle and grime of Manhattan to the tony suburbs Long Island. Along the way we discovered that the inside of a Lincoln is a pretty spectacular place to chill. Here’s why:

1. The Ride
...the modern incarnation of the Continental has one of the smoothest rides imaginable. Whether gliding over the well-potholed Grand Central Parkway (thanks, de Blasio!) or zipping up and down the hilly roads outside fancy-schmancy Roslyn, Lincoln's Drive Control, which we had locked in comfort mode, kept us comfortable indeed.

2. The Seats
We’ve been obsessed with the Lincoln’s seats even before we got to spend an entire weekend in them. And with good reason. “Continental’s Perfect Position Seats are a great example of our philosophy around delivering personally crafted experiences,” Eric Turner, Continental's Brand Manager tells Maxim. “These seats adjust 30-different ways and will heat, cool and massage the rider.” ...

3. The Back...

4. The Stereo...

5. The Quiet...

- - - - - - -

...aaaaand I'm out of time

#44 ·
The Automobile review had a number of comments that were strictly the personal preference of the writer so I discount those since I doubt he is a prospective buyer.

The car he tested did NOT have the dynamic torque vectoring since that is only part of the 3.0 engine option. That might not have made a difference in his comments about the handling but it is a consideration. He implied that the test car had it but it did not. He did mention the seat comfort, e-latch doors and solid feeling, and while those may be personal opinions, they seem to be unanimous among reviewers. Same with comments about quiet and refinement.

Overall, I didn't think the Automobile review was too far off the mark.

#45 ·
A TASTE OF LUXURY: LINCOLN HOLDS UPSCALE CULINARY EVENT TO INTRODUCE ALL-NEW CONTINENTAL

- Event is the latest in a series of collaborations between The Lincoln Motor Company and Tasting Table, introducing Continental at upscale venues in major cities throughout the United States

- Invited guests can engage with the highly anticipated 2017 Lincoln Continental; the vehicle heralds the return of Lincoln’s flagship – embodying elegance, effortless power and serenity

- An evening of food and entertainment hosted by Lincoln and Tasting Table at Atlanta’s recently opened Regent Cocktail Club on the rooftop terrace of American Cut, a fine-dining steakhouse

https://media.lincoln.com/content/l...ln-holds-upscale-culinary-event-to-intro.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.