Ford Inside News banner

new v8 ... so SOON?

18K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  jpd80 
#1 ·
Sources Say: F-150’s 4.8L V8 To Feature Dual Injection, Replace 5.0L Coyote
FordAuthority

by Aaron Birch — Dec 19, 2016

Should the refreshed, 2018 Ford F-150 and 2018 Ford Mustang bow at next month’s Detroit North American International Auto Show as we’re expecting, both cars might have the same new, normally-aspirated 4.8-liter V8 wedged under their hoods.

The engine, which was alluded to during discussions of the new labor contract between Unifor and Ford Canada, will outright replace the 5.0-liter “Coyote” V8 currently found in both the Ford F-150 and Mustang GT, according to an unnamed source. The same source tells us that this new engine will feature dual injection – that is, both direct and port fuel injection – to achieve greater efficiency than the outgoing 5.0L...

...The combination of both dual injection, and variable valve timing like that found on the Coyote, should permit a higher compression ratio than the Coyote’s respectable 11.0:1. With higher compression generally comes more power, meaning that the new 4.8L could well outperform the 5.0, despite its slightly smaller displacement...

See less See more
#2 ·
Does higher compression favor horsepower or torque more?
I am guessing this will have better performance, and slightly better MPG than the Coyote with the 10-speed.

#3 ·
It does seem odd to me that they would be coming out with a completely different motor already rather than applying the updates to the Coyote. Wonder if it will maintain the current flathead style firing order or go back to the modular V8 firing order.

#4 ·
It does seem odd to me that they would be coming out with a completely different motor already rather than applying the updates to the Coyote. Wonder if it will maintain the current flathead style firing order or go back to the modular V8 firing order.
Maybe they still will do updates for the 5.0 but only for something like the Super Duty? Wonder if anything will be shared at all with the 4.8 but from the sounds of the article it might be all new.

#11 ·
I should clarify a bit, when I mentioned slightly larger displacement, I really meant very slightly. It's advertised displacement will not change. A bit more bore diameter will help with less valve shrouding, and still maintain the coveted five point oh. Now, from that information, anyone with a small aptitude in engine building or knowledge, will understand why they would do that (cough...voodoo components....cough).

Oh, and there will be no FP crank in it.

But my point in mentioning this, was to clarify that the coyote is going nowhere.

#12 ·
I should clarify a bit, when I mentioned slightly larger displacement, I really meant very slightly. It's advertised displacement will not change. A bit more bore diameter will help with less valve shrouding, and still maintain the coveted five point oh. Now, from that information, anyone with a small aptitude in engine building or knowledge, will understand why they would do that (cough...voodoo components....cough).

Oh, and there will be no FP crank in it.

But my point in mentioning this, was to clarify that the coyote is going nowhere.
Thank you for clarifying, I didnt want my beloved 5.0 badge going away :)

#15 ·
I am wondering if this 4.8 will fit in a D6 Lincoln or Navigator? hmmm

#17 ·
I still don't get the point of dropping two tenths of a liter in displacement which is about 12 cubic inches. The engine won't be measurably smaller than the 5.0 if at all. Anything this engine can do the 5.0 should be able to do when it comes to truck engines. The fact that Wings confirms this is in addition to the 5.0 and not a replacement leaves me baffled as to why. Is it an all new design or simply a smaller Coyote like the Nano engines. If it is all new why not replace Coyote, if it's not all new how does dropping 12CI benefit anything.

I'm probably completely wrong here but I keep coming back to Nano, two closely related engines leaving one exclusive to Lincoln.

#19 ·
just-imho, there could be a bunch of reasons:
- designed to work with both electrification and EB
- ditto the 10-speed
- can't stop expecting a smaller-yet size variant, like 3.7/3.5, 3.0/2.7
- maybe with one (primarily) for Lincoln: Navi, cD6-Conti, the sport-compact that must not be named
but
chiefly
- I think they found a way to produce a v8 at lower cost

&
'nother article
The Ford Mustang's 5.0-Liter V8 Won't Become a 4.8-Liter in 2018
[UPDATE]

R & T

By Chris Perkins - Dec 21, 2016

There are big changes in store for the 2018 Mustang—which could gain Magneride and a 10-speed automatic, and lose the base-model V6 engine. Now, it sounds like the Mustang GT's famous 5.0-liter V8 could be replaced with a new, slightly smaller 4.8-liter to aide efficiency.

Update 4:40 p.m. ET: An R&T source inside Ford has cast heavy doubt on this ever happening.
The rest of this post has been left unchanged.
Reuters first reported last month that...

#24 · (Edited)
OK had a thought about something, what if Ford is going to play
mix and match with a few available bore and stroke ratios...

Follow me here

Coyote 5.0 = 92.2 mm x 92.0 mm
Voodoo 5.2 = 94.0 mm x 92.0 mm FPC (unique to Shelby)
Cammer 5.0 = 94.0 mm x 90.0 mm

New Coyote 5.0 = 94.0mm x 90.0mm (using Cammer Mod style Crank)
New Coyote 5.2 = 94.0 mm x 92.0 mm (Original 5.0 Coyote cross plane crank)
New Coyote 4.8 = 92.2 mm x 90.0 mm (using Cammer Mod style Crank)

If this report were true, then it would leave open the possibility that the Mustang
could continue with a bigger bore shorter stroke 5.0 Coyote for added power/torque
while allowing F150 to use both 4.8 and 5.2 versiosn of the Coyote. That 0.4 liter may
not sound like much of a difference but it could be enough to cover the needs of V8 buyers
in the two important towing segments, up to 8,000 lbs and >8,000 lbs through to 12,000 lbs. .

#28 ·
Let's put it this way, there's more chance of Ford seeing more use of its DOHC V8
than GM getting that 6.2 DOHC LT5 in anything other than a high priced dream machine.

A little off topic,
I would like to see Ford replace the 3.5 V6 in F150 with a baby 4.2 Coyote V8.
An engine like that with DI should produce 350 HP/350 lb ft, more than capable
of replacing the uninspiring base V6 and towing up to 8,000 lbs with ease...
...something that generates interest without hurting sales of other engine types....

#29 · (Edited)
Let's put it this way, there's more chance of Ford seeing more use of its DOHC V8
than GM getting that 6.2 DOHC LT5 in anything other than a high priced dream machine.
I don't think it will be as exotic as Ford's flat-plane crank Voodoo V8.
I wouldn't be surprised if a milder version of the DOHC LT5 finds its way under the hood of Cadillacs.

A little off topic,
I would like to see Ford replace the 3.5 V6 in F150 with a baby 4.2 Coyote V8.
An engine like that with DI should produce 350 HP/350 lb ft, more than capable
of replacing the uninspiring base V6 and towing up to 8,000 lbs with ease...
...something that generates interest without hurting sales of other engine types....
Seeing the positive sales of EcoBoost V6 powered F150s, maybe Ford might just make it standard in the future.

#36 ·
I think some Ford news is right around the corner, and links like this pretty much confirm a new V8 is coming to replace the old V10.....so why not. The V10 was based on old tooling/dimensions/architecture from the modular series. This new engine will have nothing in common and is a clean sheet design. That is pretty much all I should say.

:::fingers crossed for luck:::

#35 ·
And regarding GM's rumored DOHC 6.2L, I think it would be a brilliant move for their tech laden (mid engine?) next gen sports car. And it fits into their lineup nicely with a more 'bespoke' option. I think they can still utilize a few smaller components (rods, pistons, crank, bore spacing, bearings, etc.) for a dash of modularity and reduced costs. It will also give us all a great comparative view as to the differences of both architectures, while GM engineering must love the challenge and opportunity of impressing the other half with what I am sure will be quite impressive, if not leading metrics. I personally love the whole idea, so I hope it is a true rumor and would generate far more buzz than another supercharged OHV motor.

#38 ·
AV says refreshed Mustang and F150

#45 ·
not a new thought but sorta from the other direction...

we'd heard about a new, smaller, closer-to-4L, v8 a while ago
what IF
the 4.8approxLiter(289") v8 was not the first priority?
but
that's just the largest they could stretch the smaller one (4.0-4.4)??
& we're just hearing about this bigger variant first???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.