Ford Inside News banner

NYC 2017: NEW NAVIGATOR! (Official = posts#43...)

87K views 395 replies 36 participants last post by  Andrew L 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#64 ·
The game has truly changed, and I fully expect pricing to move far closer to parity with the Escalade. Also it appears Ford's thinking as far as powertrain competitiveness is not utterly divergent from my own. From the uniquely expressive exterior to the notably upscale interior this is a Renaissance level product debut!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#70 ·
You know, a lot of people including me were hoping for at least the 450 HP EB as an option,
well Lincoln just blew me away by making that engine standard across the range.

Wow, if that doesn't send a message to competitors and their buyers, then nothing will.
What a wake up call, it's like Ford suddenly decided that offering performance isn't bad
at all and not like like stepping away from "quiet elegance"

Please please, put that 450 HP engine into Continental.....

#67 · (Edited)
Wonderful truck!

In a 0 to 10 i will give it 9. Why? For this:

- Is a truck and looks like a truck. A fine truck, but more brutish that we spect from a Lincoln modern SUV
- The body is the same as the Expedition. This is not all bad because the new Expy is a beautiful truck, but i can hear the comentaries from the auto journalism : " is an Expedition in a tuxedo" or something else. I understand that is almost imposible to change the body for a 20000 units/year vehicle.... but maybe a different shape for the tailligts (the weakest point of the new truck) could help
- Those tailligths. Too big and ordinary. With LEDs you can design what you want. Look at the new Range Rover Velar ( the most beautiful SUV ever) and you will understand what i'm saying. Slim, elegant and very modern

And what i love?

- Overall exterior design. I love the Expedition, so, i love this Navigator too
- The name Navigator on the sides like the Comtinental. I hope in the upcomings years, all Lincoln vehicles had this detail: the name ( real names,not "MK whatever ") on its sides.
- The interior. Is stunning. Is beautiful. Is one step behind Range Rover in materials and finish, but is sensational.
- The blue Black Labell theme. That white surface (looks like ceramic) is different, modern, luxurious. Is my favorite.
- The floating "ipad style" screen and the buttons for the transmision. Love it!
- The iluminated Lincoln Star on the grille...

#68 ·
It's incredible. A game changer for Lincoln for sure. Chalet looks to be my favorite interior yet again. Wish they offered more interior options though. Back end seems kinda bulky, but otherwise it seems like a home run! The interior is my favorite aspect, aside from the star shadow grille that's finally being used!

I read this on another article.

"Drivers will put the car into drive using a horizontally designed set of keys reminiscent of piano keys — a design element that Lincoln says will appear in other future models."

I'm excited to see how the transmission piano keys will be implemented into other models! I think the Continental needs this redesign more than any other model. Really not a fan of its buttons. These piano keys look sleek! I think that's the overall feel of this new model: it's so sleek!

I also noticed that this is the first Lincoln to not have any CD player at all, from the looks of it. The Continental's is optional, but also was designed with the "eject" button in mind. The Navigator doesn't have it, unless it's tucked away in the armrest as well. No surprise there.

Lincoln is going all in in terms of design, powerplant (450hp?!), and features. I hope we'll see the rear-seat entertainment on the Conti as well.

#69 ·
My negatives are the ipad center dash and rather drab rear styling. In retrospect, enclosing a large display requires a large dash. This is open and flows nicely. I trust it will look better in 3D, rather than 2D pics as well.

My positives include very exact concept likeness and a healthy power level. It reminded me of something I kind of knew, but forgot, that you can set and achieve your target power goals much easier in boosted engines, than you can with NA engines.

Long time coming, but the competition has just been slammed.

#75 ·
Boost pressure is a measure of restriction not airflow. Because EB engines so carefully control boost response, and target boost increasing the power doesn't require exorbitant measures for increased airflow.

I truly believe the aim here will be achieved which is to feel latently powerful, and to move the weight with ease.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#71 ·
Very impressive. Only negatives for me is the floating infotainment screen...looks like an afterthought. And the rear is bland.

I'll have to see it in person but I don't know that it's so much a competitor to escalade as much it's an alternative. Escalade sells because it has swagger. I don't see swagger from this but I think it's more appealing than escalade and most importantly, looks elegant.

I'm really interested in the tech...hud, night vision, any innovations?

Good job Lincoln!

#74 · (Edited)
I am checking several websites but I am not finding any detailed specs so I am guessing they haven't released that yet. May have to wait for the official press at NY.

Few things though:
Wireless charging
6 USB ports and 4 twelve volt power ports and a 110-volt plug
2nd row screens are compatible with Sling and can play different things at the same time
Adaptive LED headlights
Trailer backup assistance
HUD
Personal Profile - Like memory seats, pedals, steering column, and mirrors but also adds preference with radio and climate. I think that's the first time that's been available for Lincoln.
4G LTE hotspot that allows up to 10 devices
30 way front seats (nothing about the 2nd row yet)
20 speaker Revel 2 sound system
Laminated front and side glass
Panoramic roof

What's nice is, both the Escalade and Navigator felt old to me. More so with the Navigator since it's bones were older, but the reason why they both felt old was because they were both lacking features that their smaller siblings had and just felt left behind. Escalade like you said sells on name but with this Navigator really pulling out everything in terms of features and materials and attention to detail I imagine GM won't sit still and need to have an update for the Escalade ready soon.

Reactions: Samesun and 2b2
#80 · (Edited)
:thumb:
MT said:
...Behind the third row, the cargo floorboard can also act as a shelf or a vertical partition to keep your things in place. The cargo area can be accessed by opening the full hatch or just the rear glass...
anyone know
did the current edition(s) have it?
if this (& presumably Expy) are the only vehicles with this feature?
...@ Fomoco? ...other mfgs??

#83 · (Edited)
I think part of the reason we are getting a floating touchscreen like this is not only a design choice but it makes a large screen more easily accessible while maintaining its height on the dashboard. Simply put it's closer to you so it's easier to operate as oppose to sinking the display into the dashboard. Doing so would otherwise require a hand controller and a completely different non-touch interface like most luxury car makers are doing today. I'm not sure if this is cost or usability related but right now I don't think the touchscreen interface really takes advantage of multi-touch to begin with and is ultimately harder to see and use while driving so I would have favored a move to a hand controller if the budget and technology allowed. I really like the systems in Audi and Mercedes for example. It would be another story if this was a Tesla with a HUGE touch screen, but ultimately this Lincoln is basically using a system designed to scale to much cheaper vehicles and is far simpler to use. This is still an area where Lincoln could use better differentiation from Ford and the tech story for the Navigator isn't terribly interesting unfortunately. But design and comfort is key to Lincoln and as long as the amenities list doesn't come up short, I don't think anybody will be disappointed.

#84 ·
I think part of the reason we are getting a floating touchscreen like this is not only a design choice but it makes a large screen more easily accessible while maintaining its height on the dashboard. Simply put it's closer to you so it's easier to operate as oppose to sinking the display into the dashboard. Doing so would otherwise require a hand controller and a completely different non-touch interface like most luxury car makers are doing today. I'm not sure if this is cost or usability related but right now I don't think the touchscreen interface really takes advantage of multi-touch to begin with and is ultimately harder to see and use while driving so I would have favored a move to a hand controller if the budget and technology allowed. I really like the systems in Audi and Mercedes for example. It would be another story if this was a Tesla with a HUGE touch screen, but ultimately this Lincoln is basically using a system designed to scale to much cheaper vehicles. This is still an are where Lincoln could use better differentiation from Ford and the tech story for the Navigator isn't terribly interesting unfortunately. But design and comfort is key to Lincoln.
I personally prefer touch screens to using some stupid knob you have to twist, turn, and push 8 ways to get to one thing. I've had experience with BMW's iDrive before anyone asks if I've used any of the systems.

I think this will also allow them to upgrade to larger screens more easily "on the fly" if need be. Meaning if the industry is demanding a larger screen, they can add a larger/wider "tablet" touchscreen without affecting the dash design.....compared to current designs, the size that's there is all they can do until a full redesign, as it's within the dash.

#86 · (Edited)
I had a very similar attitude when MyLincoln Touch was coming out, but after using a touch screen for years and driving Audis and Mercedes (not BMWs), I've learned to really see the benefits of hand controllers with dash-top mounted screens. It's actually such easier and quicker to use than you think and is quite a bit less distracting. Part of the problem is that Lincoln has removed many of the steering wheel and dashboard controls that made it easier to keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road instead of looking down and fiddling with the touch screen. I understand Lincoln's approach here, a good hand controller interface is extremely expensive to develop and isn't something people are necessarily looking for.

#87 ·
the lift glass is an old feature, however, the cargo management system, which is the main draw is fords answer to the cargo nets and bins that most crossovers have. ford debuted this feature on the 3rd gens but only on the lwb versions. now they are available on both versions. gm added this feature as well as a covered "cargo bin" to there lwb suvs, mainly because the load floor was so high and they needed a way to hide this huge design flaw.

#90 ·
This has set a new standard for the class and with the Infiniti Qx80 coming next year the large luxury SUV class is going to be a hot segment. It looks really expensive almost like a BOF Bentley SUV but you can really see a evolution of the 1st and 2nd gen Navigator, the new lincoln grille is like the 90s grille upside down without the waterfall insert. The rear isn't bad but you can tell they were limted to mixing the design with the Expy that's why the rear lights are so big but atleast they used a different bumper so it wouldn't be as long.

The Interior looks like it's on par with a Range Rover design wise and should be on material wise it's leather everywhere (the grab handles are too) real wood and they even did gloss black on the controls instead of that flat black they've been using lately. Has anybody heard if the second row has power seats? I've read the 3rd row has power recline so I hope it would be an option.

#94 ·
Has anybody heard if the second row has power seats? I've read the 3rd row has power recline so I hope it would be an option.
I believe the second row is not powered. The only power function in them is a power flip/tilt type thing for 3rd row access. At least images have not shown any power adjustments in them. They're unfortunately this way because of the access to the third row, they can't put such an adjustable seat there while retaining the flip/slide ability needed for entry. As I've said a few times, I'd love to see an "executive package" down the road that removes the third row, scoots the second row back and adds the 30-way power seats with full footrests.

The third row gets a power recline because they're already powered because of the fold flat capability they already have.

Reactions: YoungLS and 2b2
#97 ·
speaking of rear-&or-2nd-row-seats
imho
with the lack of perfect-comfort(ish) separate cushions (which Conti has even withOUT the 30 ways)
think the seat-insert areas need a bit more detailing, like the YatchClub theme:
I think they are limited on that since the 2nd row folds flat. If you add bolstering it may not fold flat and the bolstering could get flattened if you do fold it flat :confused:

#106 ·
I really wouldn't pay too much attention to the numbers in the video. It's clearly just showing the functionality and graphics the gauge cluster has, not meant to show any numbers.

Reactions: Andrew L
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.