Ford Inside News banner

Chicago: E D G E

13K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  FordRacing88 
#1 ·
  • Dramatic freshening of the 2011 Ford Edge and Edge Sport includes extensive exterior redesign, improved materials and craftsmanship on the interior, class-exclusive technology and new powertrains
  • With available MyFord Touch™ driver connect technology, the 2011 Ford Edge crossover wraps an engaging package with superior craftsmanship, capability and performance
  • Ford’s advanced engine valvetrain technology – Ti-VCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing) – helps Edge achieve best-in-class power and torque for an uncompromised driving experience
  • All-new powertrain lineup includes North America’s first application of Ford’s global 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 engine, delivering class-leading fuel economy, plus the new 3.5-liter Ti-VCT V-6 with unsurpassed fuel economy and 3.7-liter Ti-VCT V-6 for Edge Sport
NEW 2011 FORD EDGE MEDIA SITE
CHICAGO, Feb. 10, 2010 – Style and technology – the hallmarks of Ford Edge since it took the midsize crossover segment by storm starting in 2006 – come together in an all-new way, offering customers even more of what they love for the 2011 model year.

“Customers told us how much they like Edge’s design and dynamic driving quality,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s president of The Americas. “We listened and made sure the new 2011 Edge delivers that and more – including fuel economy leadership, unexpected levels of quietness, a strong new design with quality materials, and MyFord Touch driver connect technology that will change how people experience their vehicles.”
Customers made the Ford Edge the No. 1-selling vehicle in its segment in its first full year on the market, and more than 330,000 have been sold since its launch in late 2006. The 2011 Ford Edge now aims to redefine the segment with a wide-ranging scope of improvements.

PHOTOGRAPHY
(click for bigger)

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the new bolder nose it's not the greatest looking schnoz I've seen but it certainly helps make the edge more exciting to look at than the dull boring old one on the current model

#4 ·
Again, Ford shows that the gloves are off, comes back with a knock out. This is spectacular on all levels. The interior is top notch. Controls and material quality look great, design is restrained yet ellegant...

Very well executed.

#5 ·
I like the new bolder nose it's not the greatest looking schnoz I've seen but it certainly helps make the edge more exciting to look at than the dull boring old one on the current model
you know, imho this is the purest evolution of the previous version that Ford has done so far - of course imho the Edge was darn good before so no need for a radical change :)

&
some very pretty official photography via Car and Driver
( click for 1280x782 )

AND
what might be the very first Edge chop can be found HERE ...just a bumper job

#10 ·
you know, imho this is the purest evolution of the previous version that Ford has done so far - of course imho the Edge was darn good before so no need for a radical change :)

&
some very pretty official photography via Car and Driver
( click for 1280x782 )

AND
what might be the very first Edge chop can be found HERE ...just a bumper job
i like the cool pics 2b2 and i'll still keep my opinion on the current ford edge it's a very competent but very plain jane looking CUV especially up front. Overall I think Ford did an excellent job with this refresh and while some folks may love or hate the new nose (I like it) there will be no dissenters on the radically improved interior especially with the brand new MyFord system I can't wait to go to my local ford dealer someday and drive one of these things

#11 ·
i like the cool pics 2b2 and i'll still keep my opinion on the current ford edge it's a very competent but very plain jane looking CUV especially up front. Overall I think Ford did an excellent job with this refresh and while some folks may love or hate the new nose (I like it) there will be no dissenters on the radically improved interior especially with the brand new MyFord system I can't wait to go to my local ford dealer someday and drive one of these things
The interior of the current edge was its greatest shortcoming.

#12 ·
The interior of the current edge was its greatest shortcoming.
I agree The Interior in the current one really does not stand out at all and there is a few chintzy bits here and there for me though the neutral styling cues were one of it's greatest weaknesses along with the interior glad to see that both of these issues are fixed in this new one

#15 ·
  • Dramatic freshening of the 2011 Ford Edge and Edge Sport includes extensive exterior redesign, improved materials and craftsmanship on the interior, class-exclusive technology and new powertrains
  • With available MyFord Touch™ driver connect technology, the 2011 Ford Edge crossover wraps an engaging package with superior craftsmanship, capability and performance
  • Ford’s advanced engine valvetrain technology – Ti-VCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing) – helps Edge achieve best-in-class power and torque for an uncompromised driving experience
  • All-new powertrain lineup includes North America’s first application of Ford’s global 2.0-liter EcoBoost I-4 engine, delivering class-leading fuel economy, plus the new 3.5-liter Ti-VCT V-6 with unsurpassed fuel economy and 3.7-liter Ti-VCT V-6 for Edge Sport
NEW 2011 FORD EDGE MEDIA SITE

• ]

I don't know why they don't offer the 3.7 in the limited, as I could not live with the Sports' black grille. The 22' wheels are not as nice and if they weigh as much as last years,(to much unsprung weight)! Offer the Chrome grille, chrome 20's and chrome mouldings on the Sport and I'd be interested

#16 ·
I've got to say...I'm seriously impressed! This is a thorough and extensive mid cycle refresh and when the exterior mods are combined with that show stopper interior...this Edge is going to be another sales hit for Ford!

I agree with previous comments here, the first generations interior was by far it's Achilles Heel. It was an extremely competent vehicle and the 3.5L V-6 was up to the task at 263 bhp, but the interior build and design let it down.

Now however, the incredible quality and design of the new interior, combined with the new center stack design, coupled with MyFord Touch...I'm at a loss for words.

Where Lexus' RX is getting weirder and weirder inside with its dash designs and layout, Ford is starting to surpass Lexus in terms of pleasing design and quality that is moving up market so fast, that Audi should be worried.

As for the power train additions, I'm so happy that Ford is offering more in the Edge than just the stalwart 3.5. Upping the horsepower with Ti-VCT and other tweaks to 285bhp as well as the new 3.7L Ti-VCT offered in the Mustang for 305bhp in the Edge Sport...the Edge already out performs the RX in shear horsepower. I wonder what the power to weight ratio is on the new engines...that will really determine if this new Edge is a performer.

The 2.0 Liter EcoBoost I-4...thank you Ford! Thank you so much for finally bringing this engine over to the US! If this engine can offer a 30% improvement on Fuel Economy to the current Edge, which is already in the high 20s on the Highway, than the 2.0 EcoBoost will be delivering Mid 30s on the Highway as well as high 20s in the city...while still producing horsepower in the 230-240 bhp range...that is just me making estimations.

Still...remember, that we will be seeing this 2.0 EcoBoost appear in several more applications across the Ford Lincoln-Mercury lineup as time progresses.

All in all...I can not wait to see this new Edge in person as the year progresses...when the next Phoenix Auto show comes through, or for LA next year...I'll be making a b-line to the Ford Display to see all the amazing new product!

Way to go Ford!

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#17 ·
The 2.0 Liter EcoBoost I-4...thank you Ford! Thank you so much for finally bringing this engine over to the US! If this engine can offer a 30% improvement on Fuel Economy to the current Edge, which is already in the high 20s on the Highway, than the 2.0 EcoBoost will be delivering Mid 30s on the Highway as well as high 20s in the city...while still producing horsepower in the 230-240 bhp range...that is just me making estimations.
I am more skeptical !

First, I have seen 3 different number for fuel economy improvement; 10%, 15% and 30%. I certainly hope the 30% number is correct ! Using the 2010 EPA numbers, a 30% increase would result in 32 mpg !!

I'll believe the HP/torque numbers when Ford publishes them. The European version of this engine, that should be available soon, produce less than 210 hp.

#18 ·
I am more skeptical !

First, I have seen 3 different number for fuel economy improvement; 10%, 15% and 30%. I certainly hope the 30% number is correct ! Using the 2010 EPA numbers, a 30% increase would result in 32 mpg !!

I'll believe the HP/torque numbers when Ford publishes them. The European version of this engine, that should be available soon, produce less than 210 hp.
You bring up a good point, this is just speculation on figures. Ford is stating that the 2.0L EcoBoost is going to be equivalent in power to the 3.0L V6 in it's line up. That engine originally is putting out 210-220bhp in the Fusion as its V6.

So...given the way that Ford has managed to also bump power outputs while matching fuel economy figures...it is very likely that the EcoBoost 2.0 is probably going to come in between the 210bhp - 240bhp range.

I also expect that Fuel Economy Numbers are going to be high as Ford can get them. So...the 30s range seems like a fair assumption for this new EcoBoost 2.0...especially as Ford needs to bring its CAFE rating in line with future levels required by the US Government.

Thank you Old Wizard for pointing that out.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#20 ·
Most of the updates, improvements, and refinements look and sound very promising and competitive, but that hideous new front end treatment is a deal breaker to me. I was hoping that the restyled front end on the 2011 Edge would look just as refined and integrated as the one on the 2010 Fusion. It doesn't; it looks awkward and garish.

Overall effort: definite "Pass". New front end design: definite "Fail".

#21 ·
Most of the updates, improvements, and refinements look and sound very promising and competitive, but that hideous new front end treatment is a deal breaker to me. I was hoping that the restyled front end on the 2011 Edge would look just as refined and integrated as the one on the 2010 Fusion. It doesn't; it looks awkward and garish.

Overall effort: definite "Pass". New front end design: definite "Fail".
I got to agree, perhaps a Taurus or Kuga like front treatment would have been better?
I would like to see the sketches the designers played with to arrive at this one.

#22 ·
I am more skeptical !

Autoline said Ford was expecting around 31 mpg and I did get a hint from someone that 31-32mpg is what they were shooting for.

#23 ·
I got to agree, perhaps a Taurus or Kuga like front treatment would have been better?
I would like to see the sketches the designers played with to arrive at this one.
I agree that a Taurus or Kuga inspired front end treatment would have been preferable to the rather unrefined truck-like treatment that they gave this otherwise stellar looking product. I would have even settled for something that looked more like the winning looking treatment that they gave the 2010 Fusion.

There's one thing that has me sort of baffled about Ford brand designs. It looks like FoMoCo is making a diligent effort to develop a common front end theme for Lincoln products while front end themes for Ford brand products are unrelated and all over the place. I can excuse the Mustang because it is an iconic retro designed specialty vehicle (which is totally appropriate), but the rest of the lineup (at least the car based ones) should have a more unified front end theme (I can even excuse the truck based products since car based front end treatments usually don't translate well to truck based products or vice versa; truck based products should have a tougher look while car based products should have a sleeker, more refined look). I know (or at least think) the brand is in the process of attempting to transition to the kinetic inspired design theme, but it seems like that transition is hit and miss when it comes to restyling existing products. My only guess is that some of these updates and restylings were approved and signed off on before FoMoCo decided to implement their "One Ford" design philosophy?

The biggest mystery to me is the front end treatments on the Fiesta. Why 2 different grille designs (both of which look inferior to the original Euro version, IMHO)? The 2011 Focus sedan and 5-door have the same grille, but the Fiesta sedan and 5-door have 2 separate grille designs (that aren't remotely related to the 2011 Focus; it seems like they would have had time to bring the front end treatment of the U.S. version of the Fiesta closer to the front end of the 2011 Focus)? I just don't understand this situation at all.

#24 ·
Autoline said Ford was expecting around 31 mpg and I did get a hint from someone that 31-32mpg is what they were shooting for.
That is a safe MPG Rating to expect. 31mpg Highway from a 2.0 Liter Direct Injected, Twin Turbocharged, Twin-Independent Variable Cam-Timed Four Cylinder (Boy, that is a mouthful...even to type)...is what should be expected.

Especially if Ford's claims that this engine will put the Edge into Class Leading Fuel-Economy...than 30s is what it must achieve.

Yes, the Edge is a large vehicle...but I would expect nothing less from Ford, besides, they have a habit of under promising and then over delivering when it comes to early claims on Horsepower, Fuel Economy, etc. Even though we have not yet had any official specs released.

#25 ·
I for one am happy that Ford went in a different direction with the Edge for its styling. Ford also has a new Crossover version of the Explorer coming to market, which we may now see at New York since the Edge got the unveiling at Chicago, and it should already be underway with a refresh of the Edge.

It needs to keep some form of a common look for its products, but also give them a unique personality and style. As much as the Taurus look may work on the Edge, I'm very happy with the new direction they've taken. It looks very aggressive, modern, and it certainly stands out from the rest of the relatively plebeian competition.

Don't forget as well, that Ford's Bold American styling and European Kinetic school of design are merging and becoming one as future Ford's are developed for more global appeal. So...it may be possible that this Edge may end up competing with the RX in Europe as well...who knows.

Either way, love it or hate it, you have to admit, this is certainly a nice improvement ... inside and out compared to the current Edge, and looks light years better than the RX from Lexus, that is, if you can ever see one of them given their rapid "unintended acceleration".

Sorry, couldn't resist a Toyota shot, even if the RX isn't being recalled...yet.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061

#26 ·
I for one am happy that Ford went in a different direction with the Edge for its styling. Ford also has a new Crossover version of the Explorer coming to market, which we may now see at New York since the Edge got the unveiling at Chicago, and it should already be underway with a refresh of the Edge.

It needs to keep some form of a common look for its products, but also give them a unique personality and style. As much as the Taurus look may work on the Edge, I'm very happy with the new direction they've taken. It looks very aggressive, modern, and it certainly stands out from the rest of the relatively plebeian competition.

Don't forget as well, that Ford's Bold American styling and European Kinetic school of design are merging and becoming one as future Ford's are developed for more global appeal. So...it may be possible that this Edge may end up competing with the RX in Europe as well...who knows.

Either way, love it or hate it, you have to admit, this is certainly a nice improvement ... inside and out compared to the current Edge, and looks light years better than the RX from Lexus, that is, if you can ever see one of them given their rapid "unintended acceleration".

Sorry, couldn't resist a Toyota shot, even if the RX isn't being recalled...yet.

Stay Fabulous!
RG59061
But that nose is Kashashisq... more than Fordish!! Do not get me wrong, I think the vehicle is fabulous, I just think it could have had a more corporate look to it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.