Ford Inside News banner

7 New products in 4 years...

11K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Ok lets do some brainstorming here.... we are told by Ford that Lincoln will get 7 new products in the next 4 years

Lets do it out

What we know....
1. Updated MKX
2. Updated MKS
3. Updated Navigator
4. Lincoln C Segment Car

Possibilities?
5. MKS-L? or maybe the MKR to slot above the MKS?
6. Kuga based Lincoln Crossover
7. Eco-Boost MKZ? or maybe Eco-Boost MKX?

#2 ·
Too much cars for a luxo brand. Lincoln must focus on make a few, very good ,cars:

1.- Flagship: RWD, yes, RWD big car (betwin 5 and 7 series BMW size). This must replace MK S and Town Car
2.- Medium : RWD sedan and possible coupe betwin 3 and 5 series BMW size.
3.- Medium FWD car, to compete with similar sedans from Lexus and Acura, based on next Fusion-Mondeo plattform to replace actual MK Z
4.- Compact: Focus-size sedan and coupe ( coupe-convertible?) , new for Lincoln
5.- Big SUV/ Crossover: Navigator and MKT replacement
6.- Small Crossover: replacement for MKX, maybe Kuga-based new car

This line up, with the coupes, give Lincoln 8 cars. Enough. And forget the MK... name game, please.

#3 ·
1)I imagine the Hybrid MKZ will count as one New vehicle.

2)MKZ made off the Mondeo/Fusion replacement should happen within 4 years.

3)Lincoln Compact car (might be derived from the C-max instead of the standard Focus, to make it stand out more).

4)Lincoln based Explorer is a possibility. If not, an updated MKT should be out by then.

5)Lincoln Kuga/Escape
6) New MKS (this needs to be good, if they want to consider it the "flagship")
7) New Navigator.

Possible
MKS based coupe
Small convertable based on Focus.
Lincoln Mustang with IRS
Lincoln based Aussie Falcon
Hybrid version of Lincoln Kuga/Escape
Hybrid version of Lincoln Focus
Hybrid version of MKS

#4 ·
I thought they were concidering a sedan based off the mustang too... could of sworn I heard someone talking about that before... perhaps a new LS?

#6 ·
I read that the Fusion/MKZ Mondeo remakes will be MY2013, launching March 2012. So 1 year after the MY2012 Focus is launched.

#9 ·
I do not think we will see a new RWD platform from Ford anytime soon.
The Mustang is supposed to get a new platform for the next redesign

#10 ·
5 are as close to certain as it gets imho:
Navi + MKT + MKS + MKX + MKZ

& some of us have been thinking the other 2 are the C-car followed by the MKG/KuGa
1)I imagine the Hybrid MKZ will count as one New vehicle.
2)MKZ made off the Mondeo/Fusion replacement should happen within 4 years.
I read that the Fusion/MKZ Mondeo remakes will be MY2013, launching March 2012. So 1 year after the MY2012 Focus is launched.
Very interesting - I wonder if they could count the MKZ twice??

I do not think we will see a new RWD platform from Ford anytime soon.
The Mustang is supposed to get a new platform for the next redesign
If things play out as I suppose for 4 years, I'll be disappointed
cus imho they COULD have the GRwdP out withIN 2 years if they wanted to
UNLESS
the GRwdP cars will be a new CONTINENTAL BRAND? above Lincoln?
(that HAS happened before)
&
the all-new Mustang has been rumored for its 50th anniversary = Spring 2014
but I'm not sure Ford would want to wait quite that long
then again
is anyone else as UNconfident about the future of pony/muscle cars as I am?

#11 ·
UNLESS
If they were to offer Continental as an offshoot or 'brand within a brand' in 4 or 5 years, they should start soon by offering a trim called the 'Continental Series' similar to what Mercury did with Voga, or Ford did with Eddie Bauer. It should offer premium seats, upgraded materials on the dash and console, a modestly changed, yet unique grill and lights, and maybe some two tone paint done tastefully.

I would limit it to 'MKS- Continental Series' and 'MKT- Continental Series' , and add more premium and exclusive interiors and body colors upping the bar every year until the RWD platforms are ready to introduce the Continental Brand, at which time, the Continental Series of the AWD/FWD Lincolns would end.

#12 ·
5 are as close to certain as it gets imho:
Navi + MKT + MKS + MKX + MKZ

& some of us have been thinking the other 2 are the C-car followed by the MKG/KuGa

Very interesting - I wonder if they could count the MKZ twice??

If things play out as I suppose for 4 years, I'll be disappointed
cus imho they COULD have the GRwdP out withIN 2 years if they wanted to
UNLESS
&
the all-new Mustang has been rumored for its 50th anniversary = Spring 2014
but I'm not sure Ford would want to wait quite that long
then again
is anyone else as UNconfident about the future of pony/muscle cars as I am?
I dont think they would count the same nameplate twice.

#14 ·
I prefer RWD myself but is anybody watching Audi? RWD doesn't necessarily make or break an automobile manufacturer.. Audi is fighting BMW head to head without RWD.. Audi A8L, anyone? Regardless of whether or not you like the exterior - which I do and so do many others - the car is pure luxury - and the 2011 model gets to 60 in under 4.9 seconds.. If Lincoln had an Audi A8L, nobody would be complaining that it wasn't RWD...

If I'm not mistaken, the MKS is already in between the BMW 5-Series and 7-Series vehicles. I have a feeling we're not going to see anything bigger than the MKS until somebody figures out how to build a full-size hybrid of some sort.

What Lincoln needs to stay in business is the following:

- A small car around or between the size of a BMW 3-Series and Audi A4. Personal luxury coupes and sedans are going to become popular again now that everyone is worried about fuel. There should be a soft, comfortable version and a high performance version. The soft version uses a 4cyl engine with a smooth riding suspension (Lexus IS) and the high performance version gets the ecoboost engine with a more crisp suspension (Audi A4).

- The MKZ should grow a little bit and compete with cars in the BMW 5-Series segment. Same as above - two versions - something for everybody.

- The MKS should grow a little bit and compete with cars in the BMW 7-Series segment. A little wider and a little longer. An "L" version as well. Again, high and low performance versions.

- The upcoming MKX seems perfect to me. I haven't seen it yet but I have a feeling there won't be much to complain about.

- The MKT is excellent as it is (to me).

- The Navigator should just move forward with technology like any other SUV does these days. There's not a whole lot to change about it. I don't see why they can't use a version of the ecoboost engine to help with fuel economy...

#15 ·
"guest" brainstormer: Peter M. De Lorenzo, THE AUTOEXTREMIST
Posted on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 11:28AM
Resurrecting Lincoln

. . . What would I do with Lincoln? Well, first of all, I wouldn’t do any of the above. It’s fine to be soberly aware of your competitors and their strengths, weaknesses and capabilities, but it’s quite another to get lost in “chasing” another competitor’s persona. That’s nothing but a dead-end road filled with abject disappointment.

No, Lincoln has to carve out a new identity all its own, not only keeping in mind that that its name has been part of the American fabric for decades, but also being very aware that for many its current image and reputation are nonexistent, or at best wrapped-up in the black sedans of the livery trade.

The “new” Lincoln must have a bold and unmistakable design presence. Its new design “face” – the one that is slowly making its way throughout the current Lincoln lineup - can only be a starting point. From there I want the words “dramatic” and “stunning” to be instantly associated with the brand. There should be no mistaking that it’s a new Lincoln on the road, no matter what segment it is.

As for technology, if I was running Lincoln I’d want all of it. Lincoln must be the “tip of the technological spear” for the Ford Motor Company in every respect. That means Lincoln must have state-of-the-art dynamic capabilities, advanced electronic capability and connectivity, the very latest in safety technology, and a concentrated emphasis on overall operating efficiency, with the advanced and sophisticated drivetrains that are required to be taken seriously in this market.

That last statement is critical, because Lincoln needs to be taken seriously again, both within Ford and by the consumers who need to be convinced that the brand is worth considering again. That is going to take a commitment of time, energy, resources and brain power on the part of Ford.

Do I feel Ford is capable of pulling this off? Absolutely.

I’ve watched as this company has demonstrated the kind of internal discipline and product conviction necessary to pull the iconic Ford brand up by its bootstraps. Led by Alan Mulally and his now legendary brand of focused consistency – and bolstered by one of the top leadership teams operating in this business today – Ford has managed to completely reinvent itself as a forward-thinking, technologically savvy, front-line global automaker.

And I personally can’t wait to see this level of focus and talent dedicated to Lincoln, because I believe Ford’s “best and brightest” can deliver everything that’s expected, and more.

Is it dangerous to throw an extremely high level of expectation on this complete reinvention of Lincoln?

No, just the opposite, in fact.

Instead, it would be more dangerous for Alan Mulally and his team not to have the highest of expectations for the monumental task at hand. After all, when you really think about it, in the course of resurrecting Lincoln it will be much harder to meet and better yet exceed the high standards of achievement newly established within the company than it will be to “benchmark” the luxury competition.

Letting go of Mercury was sad for a lot of Ford loyalists, but not devoting the time, talent and financial resources to Lincoln would have been beyond tragic.

As Ford goes forward, the need for a significant luxury brand in its portfolio will become absolutely crucial. And given everything I know about Ford’s future plans I am confident that Lincoln will become a formidable presence in the market again.

And that’s the High-Octane Truth for this week.

#16 ·
umm
They DID! tho it's on the TownCar (LINK)
hmmmmmmmmm
Well then...all the more reason to take it to the next level, and to up the bar even further, by offering the trim/sub-brand on cars they actually advertise.

Continental Series on the MKS and MKT should have just about every option standard and the commercials should stress that. The vehicles as well as the unique colors, grill, lights, and interior materials.

Sal,
I also had hoped that Lincoln could offer stretched and widened versions of Ford cars, but looking at how hard Ford is trying to globalize and shrink their variations of platforms to save money, I just doubt that they are going to spend money to reverse that trend by adding unique platform variations just for Lincoln. Maybe when Ford has paid down more debt, and if they can use these platform variations in other countries (as Lincolns, or otherwise), they might do it. I just don't see it happening until at least the 2016 models, and they need to make Lincoln much more significant a whole lot sooner than that.

#17 ·
The MKX is nice, I saw it at the NY Auto Show... the only thing I dont like is that it shares body panels with the Edge...

#18 ·
Lincoln Promises 7 New Vehicles by 2014 - TheCarConnection
By Marty Padgett
Editorial Director
September 1st, 2010
...now that it's closing Mercury--Lincoln will get seven new vehicles in the next four years in a major new investment in product and in a more distinct identity for the Ford luxury brand...

Navigator: The brand's big seven-passenger SUV probably will live on. A heavily revised version of the current sport-ute could bow in 2013 or 2014. Aside from styling updates, the new Navigator and Navigator L are expected to adopt new V-8 engines that arrive this year in the 2011 F-150.

MKX: New this year, the five-passenger crossover (above) is the first of the seven new vehicles scheduled. It isn't due for a major overhaul in the next four years.

MKZ: The mechanical twin to the Ford Fusion adds a Hybrid model this year. A complete redo is planned for the 2013 model year. It's to be based on a common platform with the Ford Fusion and Mondeo, but with much more differentiation.

MKT: Due for a facelift in 2013, the big seven-passenger cousin of the Ford Flex probably will add the sophisticated MyLincoln Touch infotainment system before this update. Ford's denied reports the MKT would be discontinued after its current model cycle.

MKS: New in 2009, the large Lincoln four-door sedan likely will get MyLincoln Touch system in 2012 along with a slight refresh.

Two more new or revamped cars in the product plan have been hinted at prior auto shows. They could include:

Premium small car: The logical next step in the Lincoln portfolio is a compact vehicle in the Lexus IS/Cadillac ATS class. A four-door sedan would fit in the Lincoln lineup, but the 2009 Lincoln Concept C suggests Lincoln execs are considering a hatchback body style.

Premium small crossover: With mid-size and large crossovers handled, Lincoln could also spin off a new compact crossover to compete with the Audi Q5 and Cadillac SRX. Ford's planning a new Escape based on the European Kuga crossover, and it's likely a hybrid version will be in the product plan.​

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Each of those models links to another article, if you follow the title link to this current piece
however
imho the dates are not reliable
&
I don't believe the number
7 necessarily dooms more GRwdP models just yet
:toetap:
( also partially posted in the
Lincoln-ette/MKfoCus/C-car 2-in-One, last-minute POLL )

#19 ·
Those that we know for sure
1. 2011 MKZ Hybrid (enhancement)
2. 2011 MKX (Redesign)
3. 2012 MKS (redesign)
4. 2013 MKZ (all new)
5. 2014 MKT (Redesign)

Those we have heard of
6. 2013 MKC (all new compact)

So what is the 7th car? MY bet is a new Navigator.

#22 ·
If Expedition does get simplified and more closely related to the F150 I could see Navigator being dropped for a higher trim line Ford.
I do not think they will drop the Navi... only because they mentioned it would get the EcoBoost....

#24 ·
Automotive News: Lincoln future product and branding tops Ford's to-do list

Lincoln future product and branding tops Ford's to-do list
Automotive News

Jamie LaReau
September 3, 2010

WASHINGTON -- Ford Motor Co. plans to further differentiate the Lincoln and Ford division product lineups, while giving the luxury Lincoln brand a “point of view,” company leaders promise.

Ford is also planning for fewer Lincoln dealerships in major metro areas.

With Mercury to be discontinued by year-end, Jim Farley, Ford's group vice president of global marketing, sales and service, said the automaker is applying “100 percent” of its focus on Lincoln design and customer service in order to win younger customers.

“It's not about scale right now, it's about getting it right,” Farley said at an event here this week. “The next set of products is about getting it right for the customer.”

Lincoln is Ford's only luxury brand after the sale of Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover in recent years.

In 1998, Lincoln sold 187,121 vehicles, finishing number one in the U.S. luxury market. But last year, it ranked six with sales of only 82,847 vehicles. Lexus led luxury brands with 215,975 sales.

Waterfall grille

Ford has promised Lincoln seven new or improved vehicles in the next four years.

Farley said Lincoln's future design will have a “point of view,” which he did not further explain.

Lincoln's future products will stay in the $35,000 to $55,000 price range, Farley said.

The brand's signature waterfall grille will remain on future models, he said. But future Lincoln products will have body design cues that differentiate them more from Ford division products than the present lineup. He declined to provide more specific product details.

The two brands often share the same underpinnings and engines.

“Our commitment on the upper body will be specific, and the MKX is an example of that,” said Farley. “We're making a commitment to differentiate the product at every step we can.”

The 2011 MKX crossover, for example, shares the same architecture with the Ford Edge. While the front and rear of the MKX body differs from the Edge, the rest of the body styling is somewhat similar.

Both crossovers offer Ford's new MyTouch interior technology as standard or optional equipment. MyTouch provides navigation, entertainment, Blue Tooth and climate controls all connected through a touch screen system. The vehicles also offer similar standard or optional creature-comfort features such as leather seating. Yet MKX pricing starts at $39,995, the Edge starts at $27,995. Both prices include shipping.

A vehicle that Lincoln has differentiated from Ford is the Lincoln MKT crossover. It has a dramatically different styling compared to its platform sibling the Ford Flex.

Some critics have argued there isn't enough overall differentiation between Lincoln and Ford products to motivate customers to pay a premium for the Lincoln badge. But Farley said Lincoln's advantage is what he dubs: “the customer experience.”

“People don't cross shop luxury at the feature level,” Farley said.

Cutting the count

Boosting Lincoln's cachet will mean emphasizing technology and fuel economy in advertising. It also means offering superior customer service, Farley said.

Farley said Lincoln also needs to thin its dealership ranks in metro areas to enhance the viability of surviving stores and to boost the brand's image. As of mid-2009, Ford had 1,189 Lincoln franchises in the United States.

Full text at the link, subscription required

#25 ·
Re: Automotive News: Lincoln future product and branding tops Ford's to-do list

I know the MKT is different that it's competition, but not so much so to call it ugly. When you approach one, you instantly know what you are looking at is pure Lincoln. So many large luxury CUV's blend together. I love it's profile and rear end styling. The interior is second to nothing on the market for anywhere near it's price.

As for the rest of Lincoln:

I just drove an MKX and I was amazed at how much it improved. The increased power is welcome, but the NVH and quiet cabin were in stark contrast to previous MY. I think it is a great product in total, although price is steep.

MKz is still a great entry level, about to get better next year with some nice updates.

MKS will benefit from 305hp base engine and improved EcoBoost motor, as well as a host of other engineering upgrades. It really will polish an already great sedan.

I have not seen the MKC yet, but I am impressed with the specs I am hearing, that I can't repeat.

Navigator will march on as a BOF truck, along with many updates next year - especially powertrain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.