Ford Inside News banner

What else could be planned for CAP?

Tags
cap planned
4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Andrew L 
#1 ·
Ford explores new avenues in Chicago
"Everybody's anxious, and we're anxious to get them in customers' hands," Jim Tetreault, Ford's vice president of North American manufacturing, said.
Along with the Explorer and Taurus, the plant, 12600 S. Torrence Ave., builds the Lincoln MKS Sedan, but could accommodate two more vehicles, Tetreault said.
"We have plans for this plant in the next year or two," he said.
My understanding is CAP is not truly flexible - I don't think it could do D3/4 and CD3 like OAC for example.

Think he means the PI and PIU - or something else? Flex/MkT? The on/off/rumored Ford Ridgeline?

#5 ·
It could serve as a Fusion overflow...which it could use now btw.
I completely agree that every plant should be able to build 2 (TWO) 'neighboring' sizes
ex: Taurus+Fusion -or- Fusion+Focus -or- Focus+Fiesta
but
it's always bugged me that Oakville has the Flex/MKT with the Edge/MKX while Chicago is under utilized (guess cuz I'm originally from Chicago (the most beautiful city in the world!))

#7 ·
I completely agree that every plant should be able to build 2 (TWO) 'neighboring' sizes
ex: Taurus+Fusion -or- Fusion+Focus -or- Focus+Fiesta
but
it's always bugged me that Oakville has the Flex/MKT with the Edge/MKX while Chicago is under utilized (guess cuz I'm originally from Chicago (the most beautiful city in the world!))
With the Explorer, updated MkS and Taurus, and the PIs...I bet they will be at 3 shifts by this time next year.

#10 ·
When the taurus is based on the stretched replacement mondeo platform, it would make sense to be able to build them both in chicago.
This would allow them to export the mexican built fusions to more markets.

#11 ·
^ I don't know.....
have been wondering the same as SullyND for a long time
- the D4 started as a CUV
- have read that the Edge/MKX share very little with the Fusion/MKZ's CD3
- the Flex/MKT are considerably longer than the Taurus/MKS/Explorer - could compromise either them or the Fusion/MKZ/Edge/MKX to share the platform
I think the D4 will live on.

#12 ·
Here's the thing. Explorer is just starting to ramp up production on D3. It's being built at CAP. CAP, from my understanding, is not flexible enough to do two platforms (the way OAC is). Does anyone really see the Explorer going CD4 at the same time as the Taurus? That what I meant about D3/4 becoming the new Panther - I could see OAC getting CD4 Taurus/MkS in place of Flex/MkT while Chicago would then continue production of the D3 PI, MkT (Livery), and Explorer. Keeping the PI on D3 would allow Ford to lock hardpoints etc in the way fleet costumers would like without impacting the retail taurus.

#13 ·
^ VERY interesting scenario, SullyND

and it emphasizes my conundrum with the allocation of models currently
imho a big benefit of the LEO Taurus & Explorer is that they share so much (afaik)
if the Taurus goes euCD4 and the Explorer doesn't
could a D4-Taurus be kept in production for copcars?
also I question if a reason CAP is less flexible has to do with fitting the longer Flex/MKT thru the assembly line (think that's THE problem for Mustang derivatives at AutoAlliance!!)

with Hermosillo fully occupied with Fusion/MKZ, imho there's no question that the merged Mondeo/Fusion/+/+/? will need a whole 'nother assembly plant
& I just don't know if CAP is best suited for that

I think the D4 will live on.
want to post your ideas for model assortment, A.R.?
this kind of speculation fascinates me!

#14 ·
^ VERY interesting scenario, SullyND

and it emphasizes my conundrum with the allocation of models currently
imho a big benefit of the LEO Taurus & Explorer is that they share so much (afaik)
if the Taurus goes euCD4 and the Explorer doesn't
could a D4-Taurus be kept in production for copcars?
also I question if a reason CAP is less flexible has to do with fitting the longer Flex/MKT thru the assembly line (think that's THE problem for Mustang derivatives at AutoAlliance!!)

with Hermosillo fully occupied with Fusion/MKZ, imho there's no question that the merged Mondeo/Fusion/+/+/? will need a whole 'nother assembly plant
& I just don't know if CAP is best suited for that

want to post your ideas for model assortment, A.R.?
this kind of speculation fascinates me!
Explorer (kind of half and half), mkS, Flex, and MkT stay on D4. Maybe in the future they have the engine in the Lincolns mounted sideways to get that RWD feel like Audis.

Taurus switches to LWB CD4.

#15 ·
Explorer (kind of half and half), mkS, Flex, and MkT stay on D4. Maybe in the future they have the engine in the Lincolns mounted sideways to get that RWD feel like Audis.

Taurus switches to LWB CD4.
same rumors I have heard and I hope they do start mounting the engines in Lincolns the "proper way"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.