Ford Inside News banner

Honda Kills Accord Hybrid... for Diesel version!

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
2 June 2007

The Nikkei Sunday edition reported that Honda will not introduce a hybrid model
of the new Accord when the sedan undergoes a full design change in the autumn
for the North American market.
more @ GreenCarCongress.com

Accord sales hybrid/total
2005 total:
16,826 / 369,293 - link
2006 total:
5,598 / 354,441 - link (same source as 2005 #'s)
2007 by month:
248 / 25,714 Jan - link
312 / 30,370 Feb - link (same source as Jan #'s)
385 / 36,506 Mar - link
318 / 28,926 Apr - link
439 / 31,915 May - link
2007 YTD:
1,702 / 153,431 - (same source as May #'s)

and a just-for-fun chart I made up back in March'05 to prognosticate the increase of diesels
and the temporary nature of gasoline-hybrids:

As I've said in other posts/forums, I believe we won't see evidence of Ford's real plans until after the UAW negotiations.

(hope I got all those links right)

See less See more
#5 ·
For sure!
Just think that the only kind of economy applicable to hybrids (so far) is fuel-economy (as in amount used, not how much spent on fuel). The misconception that they'd save us money is ...ummm... just that, a misconception.
Like any other hi-tech option, it's expensive to be an early-adopter. Ahhhhhh 'GREEN' (the color of money)...
& if one doesn't drive mainly in stop'n'go traffic ("city-car"), there's probably better choices.

That said, I would like to see hybrids used as way to drop an engine-size for whatever level of performance is desired -
instead of the optional v8, get the v6 + hybrid,
___"___"__"____"__ v6, get a 4 cyl + hybrid,
___"___"__"____"__ 2.5 4cyl, get a 1.8 liter + hybrid, etc.
Honda's mistake imho was offering a v6hybrid on a vehicle that never had that optional v8 and would have a very low take-rate IF a v8 was offered.

I'd also like to see a rear-wheel-only hybrid power-pack as a way of adding Awd to Fwd - with a virtual transmission co-ordinating the gas-up-front with electric-in-back - heard Nissan was playing with that.
&or an all-electric that had an optional generator-trailer - so pure-electric for short runs but still able to do unlimited-distance roadtrips (which would suit my driving profile: usual 25 miles or less + regular 200-500 mile getaways. I was very interested in the EV-1 but could only afford 1 car and didn't want a rental every time I went out of town).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.