Ford Inside News banner

Spied: 2013 Lincoln MKT Gets Refined Version of Waterfall Grille

11K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Spied: 2013 Lincoln MKT Gets Refined Version of Waterfall Grille
by Alexander Stoklosa
September 30, 2011
Car and Driver

We caught a glimpse of the refreshed 2013 Lincoln MKS yesterday, and running in the pack with it our spy photographers spotted the 2013 MKT crossover. As you can see in these pictures, it too will receive a new rendition of the brand’s waterfall grille. Just as on the MKS, the MKT’s large, split grille gets thinner slats.

Full text at link

See less See more
#3 ·
interesting. Looks like the headlights and rear aren't changing either

#6 ·
Also notice how the wheels are blacked out. I wonder if Lincoln will finally start getting exclusive wheels. It still bothers me that the Flex Titanium has the same wheels as the MKT EcoBoost

#7 ·
This is an odd looking vehicle with its current grille being its worst attribute. This new one is a sign that they're heading in the right direction but I still don't see this as a handsome vehicle. Lincoln would be so much better off starting with the Explorer's body or, better yet, the Flex's and going up from there. The MkT's third row is atrocious with a tiny seat cushion and poor head and leg room. Until the MkT is replaced with a better looking, roomier vehicle, they're just taking the old pig and applying new lipstick.

#12 ·
I saw a Mitsubishi Diamante from '02 or '03 the other day with this nose. Not a good sign...

Thank you for also noticing the Mitsu front-end. I guess comparisons to Pontiac and Oldsmobile front-ends can be made as well. AND of all these grill similarities, the Diamante, Pontiac and Oldsmobile are no longer being produced. ".........Introducing the new 2012 MKCutlass G6.......by lincoln......"LOL Actually more like a Silhouette/Montana remake.

#14 ·
I saw a Mitsubishi Diamante from '02 or '03 the other day with this nose. Not a good sign...
You can't see the whole grille, there is a good amount of camo just the part that is visible makes it look like that

The grill is a fake...notice the wrinkles.
Are you sure thats not just the camo over the grille?

#16 ·
You can't see the whole grille, there is a good amount of camo just the part that is visible makes it look like that

Are you sure thats not just the camo over the grille?
The bars of the "grill" curve themself.

#17 ·
^ I agree there's something FALSE about the grilleS on all the spyshot Lincolns:
T S & Z

What happened to talk of a 2013 Lincoln Aviator?
(belated Welcome to the Forum from me, ottav!)
this is the same kind of question I asked elsewhere a couple/few days ago**
2b2@GMI said:
I know the thread title says FORD but what the heck

Has anyone heard anything recently about Lincoln's KUGA version???

seems all news stops with the new Z's intro at NAIAS ... almost like there IS Nothing definite after that

my point is that Lincoln COULD have ALL New vehicles in the pipeline for 2012(-2013)
the WHOLE Lineup
IF Fomoco wanted to do it...

...imho it's obvious that they DON'T
:toetap::toetap::toetap::toetap::toetap::toetap::toetap:

** btw the answer from PREMiERdrum was
"AFAIK the MKEscape isn't set to be unveiled until late 2012, entering production in early 2013."
(MKEscape = "MKG"/KuGa imho)

#19 ·
Re: BREAKING: 2013 Lincoln MKT Gets ...

BREAKING:
Brenda Priddy shoots mce'd MKT with NO camo
(Link no pix yet)
I hope someone buys it soon I want to seeee!

#22 ·
Unfortunately, it's going to take much more than a facelift to fix the exterior. The entire design is awkward and ungainly.
I still think that even if an MCE won't bring it to the gorgeousness of the Concept (which was NOT built on the D3 platform as far as I'm concerned!)
substantial tweaking withOUT abandonning its current style theme, could make a BIG difference
(got a chop in progress but now want to start over with a different base photo :yikes::
- C/D-pillar changes
- FLUSH door windows/invisble B-pillar
- new, open-center, splitwing grille with Evos headlites
- & retractable camera-winglets replacing side mirrors
want to make it look like a "limousine-coupe" with a backend customized for copious-storage/occasional 3rd-row passengers)

re-edit
couldn't make myself startover
but did some more on the in-progress chop

fullsize in the Mission: Lincoln! thread

#23 ·
I still think that even if an MCE won't bring it to the gorgeousness of the Concept (which was NOT built on the D3 platform as far as I'm concerned!)
substantial tweaking withOUT abandonning its current style theme, could make a BIG difference
(got a chop in progress but now want to start over with a different base photo :yikes::
- C/D-pillar changes
- FLUSH door windows/invisble B-pillar
- new, open-center, splitwing grille with Evos headlites
- & retractable camera-winglets replacing side mirrors
want to make it look like a "limousine-coupe" with a backend customized for copious-storage/occasional 3rd-row passengers)

re-edit
couldn't make myself startover
but did some more on the in-progress chop

fullsize in the Mission: Lincoln! thread
I applaud your efforts (which I truly respect, I might add), but I still think this thing is a lost cause. FoMoCo needs to create a completely new design on this platform. Your modifications did improve its looks, though. I definitely give you some major props for trying.

I think trying to fix this thing equates to Chrysler trying to fix the Sebring. The front and rear of the resulting 200 sedan are totally kickass, but the awkward looking greenhouse still ruins it for me. Even if FoMoCo does some major cosmetic surgery to the front and rear of the MKT, it will still have an awkward overall shape and it will still be the ugly duckling of the segment.

I would love to see Lincoln create a more traditional CUV and a flagship sedan on this platform. The MKT tries too hard to straddle the line between car and crossover and fails to be successfully at being either one. I sometimes wonder if FoMoCo thought that they could kill 2 birds with one stone with this vehicle. Instead of creating a flagship sedan AND a fullsize crossover, FoMoCo tried to cover both with this unfortunate compromise between the 2 types of vehicles. I guess it wouldn't have been a bad idea if the resulting design was drop dead gorgeous, although I would still prefer to see separate entries in the proper segments. Sometimes taking the shortcut is not always the best solution.

#24 ·
Thanks, cire_1wb :)

I don't find the MKT's "shape", which I didn't try to change, unappealing...
...it's just another 3-row vehicle.
I will say the compromises Fomoco made to the space for the 3rd row to have NOT improved upon that.
(&
not repeating some other things I've said)
What do you think of the idea of going Hummer-butch with a Lincoln Explorer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.