Ford Inside News banner

Spy Photos: 2013 Lincoln MKT Drops the Waterfall Grille

24K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Spy Photos: 2013 Lincoln MKT Drops the Waterfall Grille
By Mike Magrath
October 17, 2011
Edmunds IL

Lincoln is, finally, moving away from the fat vertical slats that has dominated its "waterfall grille" for the past few years. The waterfall grille certainly has a place in Lincoln history, but with the large bat-wing grille openings they're using, it all winds up looking more like a poorly made fence than the front of a high-end luxury vehicle.

Full text at link

See less See more
#2 ·
YAY > that we finally get to see it!**
(wonder how the pix Brenda Priddy got differ?)
&
- VERY INTERESTING that they 'facetted'/bent the slats
- glad it's smaller overall than before
- wonder if there's a bit of finishing not done yet in this - so the part of the grille that's not open to let air flow won't show as much

Wish they would've replaced that center crease in the hood with double creases flowing from the inner edges of the wings - the 'beak-ish-ness' just irks me

still waiting to form my final opinion

**I was actually wondering if I could afford to buy a photo myself

edit:
ausrutherford elsewhere said:
Theres more under the skin in store for it.
OH YEAH???

re-edit
just noticed this the EXACT same lower fascia as that dubious MKS photo from way back

#3 ·
&
- wonder if there's a bit of finishing not done yet in this - so the part of the grille that's not open to let air flow won't show as much

Wish they would've replaced that center crease in the hood with double creases flowing from the inner edges of the wings - the 'beak-ish-ness' just irks me

edit:
OH YEAH???

re-edit
just noticed this the EXACT same lower fascia as that dubious MKS photo from way back
Theres suppose to substancial improvements in the suspension.

#7 ·
Seeing the new Lincoln grill next to the old one makes it seem more athletic and directed toward a younger crowd.
The MKT looks like it dropped 15 years off its former laid back mid-60's and ready for retirement look.

The Lincoln grill has potential. It looks a little like the son of a Buick/Pontiac affair, and I'd wager that here and on the MKS it is a cross between the old and the new grill.
The MKZ should be a better rendition, as it should have been designed along with the rest of the body.

#8 ·
&

edit:
OH YEAH???

re-edit
I noticed that also! I think Max got in there and tweeked things around on the MKS/MKT. Also, I don't think that it's the fully finished product because the chrome on the bottom isn't done. Overall though, I like this redesign better. I'm looking forward to seeing this new grill treatment on the MKS as well as the new interior.

#9 ·
Interesting... I'm glad they made it smaller I will need to see the final product

#11 ·
I agree...it never was a true waterfall before, but now with the crease, it clearly is.
The middle seperation still looks tacked on like an afterthought. The hood/grill seperation makes it look cheap.
I think the Lincoln badge should be raised above the crease in the waterfall, and be integrated into the hood for a seemless look.
For that matter...I think Lincoln should have performed a serious rework of their logo to differentiate old Lincoln from new Lincoln.

#12 ·
Seeing that this is ALL that they did to the front end with all of the talk about Lincoln's direction should make everyone start praying REALLY hard. There is no hope left if we are proud of spending money to make a change like that. Looks like we are stealing Toyota's designers: "Do nothing, they won't notice mentality".

I was waiting to see the direction of the MKS and after seeing this NEW grill, just couldn't take it. Went our and purchased a 2012 Genesis.

#13 ·
Does anyone know whether the rear is going to be re-worked at all on the MKT/Flex twins? I haven't been able to discern any major updates to the derriere of either of the two updated models from the previously released pics. The grill looks better it just needs a lil' bling.

#14 ·
Does anyone know whether the rear is going to be re-worked at all on the MKT/Flex twins? I haven't been able to discern any major updates to the derriere of either of the two updated models from the previously released pics. The grill looks better it just needs a lil' bling.
MKT's back looks like it will be unchanged
I think the Flex's back will get a slight tweek

#15 ·
I agree...it never was a true waterfall before, but now with the crease, it clearly is.
The middle seperation still looks tacked on like an afterthought. The hood/grill seperation makes it look cheap...
yup

"open-center" chops in Mission: Lincoln!

...I think the Lincoln badge should be raised above the crease in the waterfall, and be integrated into the hood for a seemless look.
For that matter...I think Lincoln should have performed a serious rework of their logo to differentiate old Lincoln from new Lincoln.
yup

old, Old, OOOOOLD primitive graphic:

(actually ONE of the 3 optional grilles I proposed: ^"MeshStar"
to go with "VerticalSlat" & "ContinentalGrid")

&
yup

imho the current badge doesn't even LOOK like a star

Seeing that this is ALL that they did to the front end with all of the talk about Lincoln's direction should make everyone start praying REALLY hard. There is no hope left if we are proud of spending money to make a change like that. Looks like we are stealing Toyota's designers: "Do nothing, they won't notice mentality".

I was waiting to see the direction of the MKS and after seeing this NEW grill, just couldn't take it. Went our and purchased a 2012 Genesis.
yup

even tho I'm not quite/actually disappointed with this grille so far FOR THE MKT
it doesn't make me hopeful for the MKS
&
Congrats on your new car!! ...> pix in Member's Driveway?, review in Member Auto Reviews?

#16 ·
I like the idea of extending the lines in the logo to make the star longer. That is how it looks on my keys but the logo on my car itself does not have the lines extending past the rectangle except on the steering wheel.

#18 ·
Seriously...With Audi stepping it up, and even Hyundai and Chrysler bringing noteworthy competition...Lincoln is falling further behind.
Acura, Volvo, Infiniti, Caddilac, and Lexus are all looking to tweak their images and play hard ball in the next few years, and even a solid entry by Lincoln could be stranded on base if it is not supported by the rest of the lineup.

Ford had to know the intentions of the rest of the luxury market years ago, and if they seriously wanted Lincoln to be on a level playing field, they would have sent more money their way, and considered paying down a little less of the debt right away.
$1 Billion sounds like a lot, but when your competition has been spending big money, and will continue to do so, it will take more than that just to catch up.
For 2 years now, Lincoln has been touting it's renewal, and peope are expecting it. When MKT and MKS get released with a mild exterior refresh all these months later, people will disregard Lincoln's promise of renewal, and be even more critical and skeptical of the MKZ, when it finally arrives...at the same timeframe as the Fusion for that matter!

#19 ·
Seriously...With Audi stepping it up, and even Hyundai and Chrysler bringing noteworthy competition...Lincoln is falling further behind.
Acura, Volvo, Infiniti, Caddilac, and Lexus are all looking to tweak their images and play hard ball in the next few years, and even a solid entry by Lincoln could be stranded on base if it is not supported by the rest of the lineup.

Ford had to know the intentions of the rest of the luxury market years ago, and if they seriously wanted Lincoln to be on a level playing field, they would have sent more money their way, and considered paying down a little less of the debt right away.
$1 Billion sounds like a lot, but when your competition has been spending big money, and will continue to do so, it will take more than that just to catch up.
For 2 years now, Lincoln has been touting it's renewal, and peope are expecting it. When MKT and MKS get released with a mild exterior refresh all these months later, people will disregard Lincoln's promise of renewal, and be even more critical and skeptical of the MKZ, when it finally arrives...at the same timeframe as the Fusion for that matter!
MKT and MKX are already competiive in their class. MKZ, MKS, and Navigator are falling behind but they are supposed to fix that with the next updates, though with the Navigator who knows if it will actually stay.

1 Billion can go quite far when you are sharing platforms.

#21 ·
^ Andrew,
imho the Z & X are better attempts than the S & T

&

Imho nothing is (YET) guaranteed about Fomoco's seriousness in making Lincoln a success

crossreference:
Let's face it guys. Lincoln has lost it's MOJO and it doesn't have a guess where to start looking. It amazes me that the employees that were going to see all of the future Lincoln's didn't come to be AND no one is calling the Company out for it. They know that we are not going to go for the smoke and mirrors. I don't know. Judging by the way some of you are holding on to every word in the rumor mill.....you just might. We will never be able to compete against Lexus. We have a totally different business model. Domestic cars are all about volume. You can't find a Lincoln with folding mirrors, because Ford doesn't have them on their products. No power closing doors. Should I go on?? We are great at volume driven products. The Focus, Explorer, Fiesta.....outstanding products. I say that we need to get out of the game until we are serious about luxury and spend the money making the best Ford cars on the planet. What say ye?

#22 ·
The redesigned grill does accomplish at least one thing. They got the proportions of the bumper fixed. What I thought was always wrong with the MKT is that the front end sloped for too long a time before the horizontal crease. It was all nose and no chin. I think that exaggerated the baleen whale look of the front end. This redesign brings the balance closer to the MKS, which I feel is the most successful implementation of the original waterfall grill. What I would like to see is wider slats in the smaller openings, or pretty much what the MKS does.

I am not sure I like the fine slats of the new design. It is a little busy, and looks a little too aftermarket to me. I look forward to seeing it in person to make a final judgement.

#24 ·
I dont like it, Hope its a stop gap thing untill the total redesigns come out in a year or two
The next MKT and MKS from what I understand are stopgaps till the full redesign is ready.

#26 ·
Lincoln to Show Updated 2013 MKT and MKS at the Los Angeles Auto Show

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/10/lincoln-to-show-updated-2013-mkt-and.html

As we're getting closer to the grand opening of the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show on November 18, more news is breaking out about the production and concept cars that will receive their world premiere.
Today, Carscoop learned that Lincoln is planning to display the facelifted versions of its not-so-successful MKS sedan and MKT crossover in Los Angeles.

There is no official information yet, but it is believed that the 2013MY versions of the MKS and MKT will both receive a mild cosmetic makeover and possibly some mechanical updates.

The two Lincoln models are scheduled to go on sale in the States in the first or second quarter of 2012.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.