F-100 Rumormill (nothing official, please)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F-100 Rumormill (nothing official, please)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

F-100 Rumormill (nothing official, please)

F100 given the green light again - Mackintire @ BON

photocredit: Ford.wieck.com

(part 1)
    At first I chocked this up as a a pipe dream, but the chips are starting to fall in place and I am beginning to believe it. Giving a little more credit to this is the fact that I have recently visited 5 Ford dealerships and all have said that they have been receiving requests from customers for an updated truck smaller than the F150.

So here's the latest rumor.

2014 release as a 2015.

Chassis based off of the [strike]F150 but narrower and modified[/strike] Full size Ford Transit.

EB 2.0 and EB 2.7 are the suspected engines. Ford can pull many parts from the F150, but the narrowed chassis will require unique sheet metal and interior.

The goal appears to be to have a smaller vehicle that fits in the slot under the F150 with 2-3 mpg increase over a 2x4 F150 and sell at $2-3K less than an F150.

This line of thinking has merit as there has been discussion on how to get the current F150 to drop the almost 1000lbs required to make up the currently expected deficit generated by the upcoming 2016 CAFE regulations.

I am of the belief that the F100 would help pull up the current F series CAFE ratings and would be able to be produced at the same factory that currently produces the F150.

(part 2)
    Here are the FACTS

Ford stated that the US is not getting the T6.

Ford stated that the F100 project had been placed on hold and could be restarted if necessary

Ford has stated that they need the F150 to drop 1000lbs to make their 2016 fuel economy goals

Ford had assumed that the EB 2.0 liter and the weight loss of 1000lbs would reach their increased fuel economy goal

Ford has been surprised at the number of consumers that still want a truck smaller than the F150. This info was sourced from multiple Ford dealerships.

Ford currently has the EB 2.7 liter engine is development and expects to have it available in a Lincoln mid 2013. This wouldn't be the first time Ford has made a habit out of releasing a engine in a car a year or two before the same engine is released in a truck..

The Ford transit is now scheduled to be build in Kansas, starting 2013

Back to the world of possibility:

Unless Ford intends to sell a lot of transits, it is very likely that the F100 will be built on a modified transit platform in that same plant.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: F-100 Rumormill (please: nothing official)

So is this going to end up being an American-designed alternative to the F-150, or will the F-100 just become the F-150?

Thanks

Re: F-100 Rumormill (nothing official, please)

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    The goal appears to be to have a smaller vehicle that fits in the slot under the F150 with 2-3 mpg increase over a 2x4 F150 and sell at $2-3K less than an F150.
    Its funny because that sounds like a T6 Ranger which is albout 90% the size of an F-150.

Maybe the F-100 will be a North American made USDM version of the T6 Ranger?

Remember One Ford... so why make 2 unrelated but similar sized pickups?

Thanks

Thanks for the post 2b2. IMHO it sounds like the F-100 is the perfect fit for those of us who would not drive the F-150. The current F-150 is just too big and hard to handle/park. I think for the F-100 (or the T6 Ranger) to be successful in the U.S. it will need to get more than just 2-3 mpg better than it's big brother. Also, the price could and should be better than the reported $2-3K less than the F-150.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

YvW, scford58 :)

I'm kinda wondering if the first version of the inevitable F-100 will actually be small enough?
    afaik the T-6 Ranger isn't that much smaller than the F-series -- WISH I could them side-by-side! -- think the generation After the first F-100 (with 'step2' weight cutting) might actually be closer to what many are Now asking for...
    but imho
    (remembering a dinky foreign pickup a friend had back in the 80's,
    & like the very-used one a teacher had too)
    I'm thinking eventually they'll need a Courier-ish F-50

FIN Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    YvW, scford58 :)

I'm kinda wondering if the first version of the inevitable F-100 will actually be small enough?
    afaik the T-6 Ranger isn't that much smaller than the F-series -- WISH I could them side-by-side! -- think the generation After the first F-100 (with 'step2' weight cutting) might actually be closer to what many are Now asking for...
    but imho
    (remembering a dinky foreign pickup a friend had back in the 80's,
    & like the very-used one a teacher had too)
    I'm thinking eventually they'll need a Courier-ish F-50
    I think if they do a midsized pickup it needs to be called F-50. The compact pickup could be called the Courier. The F-100 was always a large pickup. I don't think it would be right using the F-100 name on a midsized truck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    I think if they do a midsized pickup it needs to be called F-50. The compact pickup could be called the Courier. The F-100 was always a large pickup. I don't think it would be right using the F-100 name on a midsized truck.
    If you think about it the first F-100 (2nd gen F-series) is about the same size as modern mid-size pickups.

Length: 198.3 in
    Width: 73.5 in
    Wheelbase: 115.0 in

The New Ranger (T6) is actually larger

Length: 211.0 in
    Width: 72.8 in
    Wheelbase: 127.0 in

PS: Looks like the New Ranger also comes with only one wheelbase (still haven't seen a short one), meaning the single cab models have long cargo beds (floor length of 91.2 in or 7 ft and 7.2 in)
    Last edited by AM222; 10-28-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

imho they will (& need to) call all U.S. pickups F-something
    maybe instead of or in addition to an F-50
    they could have an F-15 ? (with afterburners? ) or
    F-5
    F-1.5
    F-.5
    ?

visual aid:

Classic XY Falcon Ute
    found at "KEEP FORD Falcon RWD and Export It to North America" on facebook

Ford Ka
    Thanks

This picture looks like the Austrailian Ford Ranger. They already have a 2.0 Liter engine as well as a 2.0 &4.0 Liter diesel engine. Austrailia also has a truck called the UTE which looks to me like a shrunken Ranchero.

Ford Ka
    Thanks

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/02...-or-f-100.html

PickupTrucks.com has a good article on the F100. The article speculates that the 3.2-liter turbodiesel inline five-cylinder that will be available in the 2014 Ford Transit might be an option.
    Now that would be a great combination and something many would be interested in.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.