Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln MkZ Revealed

Tags
mkz revealed
17K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  TurboS40 
#1 ·
Jan. 10, 2012
Lincoln Media

DETROIT, Jan. 10, 2012 – The new Lincoln MKZ Concept, revealed today at the North American International Auto Show, signals a significant step in Lincoln’s reinvention, providing a clear vision of its next-generation vehicles.

“With the Lincoln MKZ Concept, we are not introducing a new car. We are essentially introducing a new brand,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford Motor Company group vice president for Global Product Development. “The MKZ Concept is the next step in the reinvention of Lincoln, something we’ve been quietly but aggressively pursuing.”

Lincoln MKZ Concept: Exterior
The MKZ Concept strongly hints at the production model arriving in dealerships later this year, as well as Lincoln’s design future.

“The MKZ Concept’s shape is a vision of simplicity completed with just a few strokes,” said Max Wolff, Lincoln design director. “Our movement as a brand is toward something we call elegant simplicity. It’s something warmer and more restrained, which is moving away from complex designs and traditional luxury.” (View a video highlighting the main design elements of the Lincoln MKZ Concept here.)

Warm hues are evident in every aspect of the new vehicle’s Cognac-colored exterior. The deep finish is achieved with a rich base coat covered in multiple layers of tinted clear-coat finishes.

By retaining key, recognizable brand design elements, the MKZ Concept remains clearly identifiable as a Lincoln. One example is the more refined interpretation of the split-wing grille, introduced on the 1938 Lincoln-Zephyr. (Click here for image.)

The sedan’s profile is dominated by a long, sleek and sweeping roofline that allows the design to break away from the traditional sedan three-box shape. The lengthening of the roofline enables a more flowing, elegant and more naturally aerodynamic appearance. (Access Lincoln MKZ Concept specifications here.)

A panoramic glass roof spans uninterrupted from the windshield to the top of the backlight. Integrated into the sedan’s aluminum and boron steel superstructure, the fixed-glass expanse extends to the side roof rails of the cabin, creating an airy, open interior. (Click here for gallery.)

LED technology enabled an extremely thin and distinctive full-width taillamp graphic. Exhaust tips are cleanly integrated into the rear fascia.

Lincoln MKZ Concept: Interior
The Lincoln MKZ Concept’s four-seat interior is open, warm and inviting. “The front graphic is repeated in the dramatic sweep of the instrument panel, helping tie the interior to the exterior. These flowing forms create a comfortable and functional interior that particularly appeals to the younger, more diverse customers we are targeting,” said Wolff.

Innovative interior features include push-button transmission gear selection, an open, tiered center console and liquid crystal instrumentation. The reconfigurable 10.1-inch Thin Film Transistor (TFT) LCD positioned ahead of the driver operates with the latest version of MyLincoln Touch™ as does the nearly flush-mounted center 8-inch LCD touch screen.

Responsibly harvested poplar wood, aluminum in bright and satin finishes as well as leather help create a sculptural, luxurious and comfortable interior space. Champagne-colored leather seats with dark taupe accents feature a champagne perforation pattern, so-called because the perforations on the seat backs conjure the image of champagne bubbles rising from the bottom of a glass.

Lincoln MKZ Concept: Engineering
The Lincoln MKZ Concept is a styling study that rides on an all-new midsize platform. The sedan is capable of utilizing multiple powertrain options in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations.

Like the recently introduced MKS and MKT with EcoBoost™, the Lincoln MKZ Concept features Lincoln Drive Control and the sophisticated Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) adjustable suspension. (Click here for information on these Lincoln technologies and here for background on the Lane Keeping System, another feature integrated into the MKZ Concept.)

The Business of Lincoln
“Lincoln is an important part of our company’s success,” said Mark Fields, Ford Motor Company president of The Americas. “The luxury piece of the industry is significant. In any given year in the U.S., the luxury segment is 11 to 13 percent of overall sales, and it is important for us to win customers in the luxury market with strong new vehicles. That is a key reason we have invested so heavily in Lincoln.”

During the past 14 months, Lincoln has built a dedicated team – including designers, engineers, quality and manufacturing experts as well as marketing and sales leaders. The team includes people from luxury brands, some outside of automotive.

“This team wakes up every morning thinking about Lincoln – and only Lincoln,” Fields said. “These are the people committed to delivering world-class vehicles with a customer experience to match.”

Many of the new team members begin working this year in the all-new Lincoln Design Studio in Dearborn, Mich.
Under Wolff’s direction, construction of the 40,000-square-foot studio began in early 2011 and ultimately will house more than 180 modelers, engineers, stylists and designers in a space that encourages creativity and collaboration.

“This is the first time Lincoln has had its own studio since the 1970s,” said Wolff. “Having our own space is critical to the continued development of the brand. We are passionate about creating beautiful, even seductive, vehicles – and the MKZ Concept marks just the beginning.”

See less See more
#3 ·
i am in shock................
me too, F.L.

from previous thread
After looking at it a few times it may start to grow on me.. I will really need to see it in black however.
black is cheating
I wonder if in silver it would look like ANYthing BUT a Lincoln?
&
I showed Andrew earlier but here's a tee shirt graphic I made this afternoon

tho I not ready to post the 'facepalm' pix I prepared**

just feels like they threw away all Heritage
(which imho wasn't necessary)

other topic
the Autoblog article seems confused about the wheelbase vs the current one
but do say it's 112" ... the current Mondeo's is 112.2"
so hopefully the new Z (AND FUSION) aren't any/much longer than the current 190.55" long model - ie very close to the current Z/Fusion length

edit**
the facepalm pix use the word 'fail' a lot
imho in this case, I'd use 'flail'
I really wonder if the production Z will be substantially different (not that I think they planned it to be different but...)
due to the difference in reaction (I'm assuming) between the Z & the Fusion

#4 ·
once again I've been 'absorbing' pictures
to help decide what I think about today's unveiling
&
dug up my old MkRhinoplasty chop from December 2006

"Hey, Max, could you come up with a new face for the MKR? We're gonna use it for the new MKZ's body."
"Sure ... if you let me do the back too."
"What's wrong with the back?"
"Not much - it's just a little plain."
"OK."

#8 ·

Attachments

#9 ·
“The MKZ Concept’s shape is a vision of simplicity completed with just a few strokes,” said Max Wolff, Lincoln design director. “Our movement as a brand is toward something we call elegant simplicity. It’s something warmer and more restrained, which is moving away from complex designs and traditional luxury.” (View a video highlighting the main design elements of the Lincoln MKZ Concept here.)

At Ausrutherford: Are you able to access/upload this video?

#10 ·
In baseball terms, I'd say they hit a triple with 2 outs, and it all depends on who comes up to bat next.

Seeing larger photos of the grill from other angles, I am liking it much better. Though it reminds me a little of other recent cars, it is executed much nicer. The hood sculpting is also well done.

The sides remind me of the old 60's sculpting combined with the Concept C....executed well, but the C-pillar transition looks a little awkward.

Rear looks retro modern, and I love the Lincoln lettering. The tailpipe integration is well done too.

Overall, the exterior looks aggressive and bold, where I was expecting sleek and sexy from the comments about it looking similar to a Jaguar. I am fine with that for the sedan, but hope a Lincoln coupe is in the future.

Interior does not seem very revolutionary like I thought it needed to be. That steering wheel looks like a laughing alien, and the center console looks like a robot from the 70's. The only thing that stands out are the headrests, and they wouldn't work in the production car, as you wouldn't be able to offer the DVD screens for rear passengers.

#11 ·
Ok. After see the car in other pictures (the live pictures at the Cobo Hall are amazing), i have to say that this car isn't easy to the eyes, but is a good design. Is like a gourmet exotic food: you need to swalow slowly to apreciate it.
The car looks carefuly designed, with many beatiful details: the deep grille surrounded by chrome has texture and volume... follow the form that come from the pair of hard lines in the front. The sides of the car looks plain, but has volume and flows to the front end of the car finding the front bumper in a nice form. At the rear, the full width rear ligths are more complicated and atractive than the first looks sugest. Maybe the only complain about the rear is that "half moon" at the decklide... I thing in a body color will looks better. The best of this car is the profile: is a real 4-door coupe ... very nice and atractive. The car looks upscale and luxurious, without any doubt.
Maybe the mistake here is to present this car like a concept. Maybe with real rear-mirrors and door-handles look less shocking. Even for me, that was expecting something diferent, the car is too controversial. Sure,is not for the average Lincoln's customers. Is for that person that have exotic and strange taste. I hope Lincoln find enough of them.

#12 ·
I think it looks great except for one major exception: I'm still not feeling the horizontal grille elements. I know FoMoCo is trying to reinvent Lincoln, but changing the grille elements from vertical to horizontal seems like an unnecessary change. Other than this, I think Lincoln has a winner on its hands. I think this new "Z" will make a big impact on the market.

One other important point: The new "Z" is completely differentiated from its Fusion platform mate!

#13 ·
At first glance I was a little shocked and underwhelmed. The rear full width tail lights instantly reminded me of the old Dodge Intrepid - which I’m sure is not the reaction Max was going for. The more I take in this new look I am warming up to it. However, I don’t see it making the short list for my next purchase. Does anyone know when the production Z will be introduced?

#14 ·
At first glance I was a little shocked and underwhelmed. The rear full width tail lights instantly reminded me of the old Dodge Intrepid - which I’m sure is not the reaction Max was going for. The more I take in this new look I am warming up to it. However, I don’t see it making the short list for my next purchase. Does anyone know when the production Z will be introduced?
Seeing the schedule for production, most likely at NYIAS.

#16 ·
Overall look has a very clean understated elegance about it. Still digesting the design. I like the creases and angles. This is a winner if it makes it to production as is with minimal changes.:clap: Please to all designers etc involved.....PLEASE do not ruin the look by adding a tiny small vent window on the rear door of the production model.

Will there be any other Lincoln PR news about future plans/direction or is this all for now?

#19 ·
There were more details and specs when Ford showed the Lincoln C concept compact.
This Concept launch is so full of empty space it is hard to understand what is happening.
Some info about tech, suspension and a more personal Lincoln experience, but come on.
Zero info on engines, transmissions etc. Is this a joke or what.

#20 ·
They are not being detailed on specs because the actual production reveal is so close to the concept. Others have said the concept was pretty much a rush job, which is why the car has so many production elements on it, and a pretty much production ready interior.

This is the show for the Fusion to shine. It is also to give hope to the Lincoln fans, that Lincoln is working on things. New York will be where the MKZ shines.

#21 ·
They are not being detailed on specs because the actual production reveal is so close to the concept. Others have said the concept was pretty much a rush job, which is why the car has so many production elements on it, and a pretty much production ready interior.

This is the show for the 2013 Fusion to shine. It is also to give hope to the Lincoln fans, that Lincoln is working on things. New York will be where the MKZ shines.
I agree 100%. The NAIAS in Detroit was always the showcase for the new Fusion, and it was to have the spotlight. The MKZ concept is to indicate the direction that Lincoln is taking for the future and is a strong hint at the design of the production 2013 MKZ which will be revealed at the New York show in April. It is at that show that the MKZ will really shine when it is shown in it's production form.

While not the Lincoln of the Town Car past, it is a bold step forward and hopefully setting a new standard in the class. It is also, no doubt, an effort to bring younger buyers to Lincoln. It takes more than one product cycle to rebuild a brand. Think how the Ford brand changed over the last few years to where it is today.

While not everyone may be in love with this concept, we need to be patient and wait for New York. If we care about the brand and the company we should at least be supportive during the rebuilding.

I for one think this concept is outstanding.

#22 ·
Looks great. I have been shopping for a new car. I was at the Audi and Acura dealers on Sunday following viewing all the competition at the San Diego Auto Show December 29th. I will now wait and I am very much looking forward to driving the new MKZ. This will complement our family's transportation requirements perfectly as I own a 2005 Aviator that we love.

#23 ·
once again I've been 'absorbing' pictures
to help decide what I think about today's unveiling
&
dug up my old MkRhinoplasty chop from December 2006

"Hey, Max, could you come up with a new face for the MKR? We're gonna use it for the new MKZ's body."
"Sure ... if you let me do the back too."
"What's wrong with the back?"
"Not much - it's just a little plain."
"OK."
Is it possible the Z will be RWD? Do we have to wait until April to see what engine(s) will be offered? Will we get a coupe version shown in Chicago?

#24 ·
MKZ will most certainly be FWD/AWD

#26 ·
My guess is that the rear tail lamps will be made a little bigger. The rear roof c-sail panel will be pushed outwards more to allow for 3 across seating which in my opinion might ruin the look but hopefully i'm wrong about that part. This will cause the side crease to not be as strong looking as in the Concept especially at the rear will be pushed outwards as well..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.