Ford Inside News banner

Ford: EcoBoost Mustang coming “in the very near future”

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Mikes5.0 
#1 ·
Ford: EcoBoost Mustang coming “in the very near future”
By Nat Shirley
Jan 10th, 2012
LLN

“Given the success we’ve had with EcoBoost across the lineup that we’ve talked about, it’s fair to assume that we will have an EcoBoost Mustang in the very near future,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford ’s group vice president of Global Product Development.

Kuzak didn’t specify just what EcoBoost Ford would offer in the Mustang, but it’s likely to be a four-cylinder unit. The 2.0-liter direct-injected, turbocharged mill from the upcoming Focus ST is a likely candidate, as its 247 horsepower rating would allow it to slot nicely under the ‘stang’s 305 horsepower 3.7-liter V6.

However, given Ford’s willingness in vehicles like the Fusion and the Edge to offer an Ecoboost four with similar power but better mileage than an existing engine, we’d say it’s also possible that Ford could offer an EcoBoosted 2.5-liter four with around 300 horsepower but more mpgs than the 3.7-liter.

Full text at link

See less See more
#6 ·
Did someone say "SVO" is coming back?????? Please with biplane rear spoiler...please, please!!
It wouldn't be called SVO tho since SVO got replaced by SVT.

#9 ·
I'm probably in the minority but I would take a 4 Cylinder EcoBoost Mustang over the GT 5.0 any day.

Exciting news!
You'll probably have good company. I doubt I'd look at a V8 or even a V6 vehicle now with these compelling T4 motors. Fuel economy is now a big factor in my buying decisions. I drove V8 cars back in the 70's and 80's when average gas prices were much lower and "fuel efficiency" was not a concern, but that picture has certainly changed. I hope Ford really goes for it with the EB4, because I think GM will use the 2.0T from the Regal GS (and soon to be released Cadillac ATS) in the next Camaro, which makes about 270hp. I'd like to see Ford come up with a T4 that makes at least that much power (and equal TORQUE) while managing at least 35 MPG on the highway. Talk about having your cake and eating it too!

#13 ·
Even if it's not called SVO (big mistake if not) they could still design the double wing spoiler in the back can't they. I thought that design was amazing back in the day. The Merkur XR4Ti even had one.
If they go so far as adding a twin wing spoiler they really have to call it SVO IMO. A turbo four was pretty unique in its day but not so much anymore, so adding it as a base engine, whether below, or replacing the V6 without the twin wing would be no big deal. If they try to make it a special version then by all means bring the twin wing with it.

#15 ·
ST would be nice for the regular version ST-R would be nice to see this in a stripped out mustang (to make it as light as possible) with all the track goodies.

#17 ·
They should call it the ST keeping Ford's current lineup intact. Base, ST, GT, Boss, GT500
I like that lineup. I hope the T4 has dual exhausts. I prefer an integrated spoiler vs raised spoiler. I would also like to see a telescopic steering wheel in addition to tilt. I prefer my cars to be rather spartan, but I would opt for things like upgraded suspension, brakes, and a limited slip differential.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.