Top 5 Things Ford Has Going For It - FordAuthority.com
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News – General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 5 Things Ford Has Going For It - FordAuthority.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 865 Posts
    Blog Entries

Top 5 Things Ford Has Going For It - FordAuthority.com

via FordAuthority blog @ facebook

Opinion: Top 5 Things Ford Has Going For It - FordAuthority.com
    By Alex Luft | March 3, 2012

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last couple of years, you already know that The Blue Oval is kicking ass and taking names: not only is the automaker on a steady track to a very healthy balance sheet, but it’s also making the best cars, trucks, and technology on the market. To accomplish these two feats, Ford needed to do earnest work and craft a significant turnaround strategy. Here are the top five things contributing to The Blue Oval’s newfound revival:

1. Global product portfolio

With the exception of Lincoln and full-sized trucks and SUVs, Ford has made it a point to globalize its lineup. Whereas the company’s various regional teams developed models for sale around the world independently of one another, Alan Mulally’s One Ford plan consolidated design, engineering, development, and research, resulting in better cars that are brought to market faster and more efficiently. Our question: why the heck is Lincoln not global?

2. Rapid pace of innovation
    When one thinks of today’s latest automotive technology, Ford is most likely top of mind...

3. Unique design language
    . . .
    . . .

The Result?

At the end of the day, these five seemingly disparate factors work in conjunction to deliver the story of the New Ford. Call it a synergistic effect, if you will...

...Did we leave anything out? Talk to us...

More...
    Last edited by 2b2; 03-04-2012 at 01:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Top 5 Things Ford Has Going For It - FordAuthority.com

Ford has improved, but cant forget how they got in the dump. Lincoln needs ford to invest in them and make them a world division that can hang with the best of the world.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

^ yeah, imho it'd have to be a very different list if it was specifically about Lincoln
    (might be an interesting tangent to make that List )
    but
    even looking at the Ford Brand or Fomoco overall,
    I can see negatives as well as positives for each category
    1 imho OneFord has more work to do. Not sure I'm totally happy about the Mondeo becoming our Fusion. Think Ford may need a whole entry-level SUB-BRAND for a range of affordable vehicles for the US's growing demographic of third-world/near-poverty customers...India & S.America vehicles?
    2 imho Ford's innovation is only rapid with infotainment tech. EcoBoost has taken a long time to proliferate so far.
    3 & 4 again pluses & minuses imho
    5 imho this card is getting wornout

Am I asking too much for some of the excitement & surprise that I get from Hyundai/Kia's (seemingly-)continuous ONSLAUGHT of new models?
    Maybe I'm just spoiling my own surprises by following Ford too closely??

Thanks

@2b2
    #1.being the cheap alternative is the thing that got Ford in trouble in the past. I don't understand your hesitation regarding the merging of Mondeo and Fusion. From here the worry I read from Mondeo fans is that the interior is not looking up to EU customers expectations. Unless the pictures of the Fusion interior are not truly representative of in the flesh quality.
    #2. IMO there is alot more innovation then just MFT, lots of extra mechanical bits being added which are not seen, or advertised much past the press, who can either add these items to their reviews or not.
    #3. design appearance is personal, but another issue not mentioned is the added substance which IMO was a big missing element of past Ford N.A. cars, again an item the average Joe does not consider, but it is something owners will feel or become aware over time of ownership.
    #4. Fords use of Social media has been instrumental IMO in changing not only what consumers think of Ford vehicles, but Ford as a corporation.
    #5. even though this is getting old, it still appears to effect Americans attitudes towards the FoMoCo.

Hyundai/Kia impresses me how they are treating the North American market with the same features common in the EU car market. As far as exciting or surprising models, I don't understand your comment on this., what vehicles have made you surprised.

Unless Hyundai is being heavily subsidize by their home government, I cannot see them continuing their low ball pricing strategy. Or if the vehicles are really what you pay for, then the low cost stuff under the skin will come and bite them in the ass somewhere in the future.
    No doubt Hyundai is throwing alot of mud on the walls, but lets see really what sticks and what ends on the floor.
    Last edited by MKII; 03-05-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    2007 Ford Focus Ghia 1.6 TI-VCT SW Panther Black 5spd MT

Thanks
    Blog Entries

hi MKII
    #1.imho there's a big difference between all-of-Ford BEING the cheap alternative
    and HAVING some.
    My hesitation regarding the merging of Mondeo and Fusion is
    that the Fusion was popular and now it's becoming a different car.
    (my desire for the Mondeo to be a Merc undoubtedly adds to this**)
    #2. the distinction I draw between MFT and more mechanical innovation is
    that the car can serve its basic purpose (transportation) just fine without MFT (so far maybe, Better).
    afaik RevoKnuckle is Not on our new Focus. And afaik EB has BEEN the way of future petrol engines yet is still not fully/largely available (except for the 3.5EB...on the same 'old' models, except for the F-150).
    #3. 'Design Language' IS personal, thus plus & minus**.
    'Substance', if I understand you, would be a different category - think #2 (& Hyundai/Kia below).
    #4. imho Ford's Social Media is still at the point of emphasizing what it DoesN'T offer:
    order tracking being perhaps the main omission and problem resolution is just nascent imho and seems almost an after-thought.
    As it is their Social Media seems not aimed at average customers.

Hyundai/Kia exciting or surprising models could well be my personal styling preferences showing...
    I've been surprisingly-excited about the current Sportage, the Forte, the Optima, & Veloster - at least as much as about the (still coming) Escape, the Focus (sorry to say), the (still coming) Fusion/Mondeo, and Ford has No equivalent to the quirky(in a good way imho) Veloster coming afaik.

Imho, "Hyundai being heavily subsidize by their home government" is a given but that doesn't change what their vehicles offer me!
    & I expect that "support" to continue.

I Do Not know (suspect Not) that H/K's substance** matches Ford's
    but
    the "Ford story" hasn't impressed me much above H/K's:
    - company sites/info
    - owners' posts
    - online fans' (& critics') reactions
    - media reports
    (admittedly, some of this may be that I follow Ford much more closely and therefor see more complaints about them...
    ...also I see more of Ford's 'hype' than H/K's)

not trying to "convince" you or anyone
    but hope this explains my feelings...
    ...mainly that even the "Top 5 Plusses" can be seen as having negative sides
    Last edited by 2b2; 03-05-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks

Wonder how long ford or even H/K can keep their momentum?
    Will the 2013 fusion build on the success only time will tell, but it would look great as a mercury unfortunately ford decided to push Fords further upmarket.

FIN Moderator
    Thanks

The federal government should kick out all the Asian car brands in our country. We need to stay loyal to our American car manufacturers instead of promoting these Asian brands.

Ford Mondeo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cobra#1 View Post
    Wonder how long ford or even H/K can keep their momentum?
    Will the 2013 fusion build on the success only time will tell, but it would look great as a mercury unfortunately ford decided to push Fords further upmarket.
    A lot of Hyundai sales are due to the longer standard warranty and the guaranteed trade in value, the second of which will be ending shortly.

With the Fusion going larger, and more upmarket, I believe there is room for a value sedan based on a stretched Focus to slot between Focus and Fusion.
    The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Ford Ka
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    The federal government should kick out all the Asian car brands in our country. We need to stay loyal to our American car manufacturers instead of promoting these Asian brands.
    Agree, that's probably the only way

11. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.