Ford Inside News banner

Navigator Interior Deserves Some Credit

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  6939 
#1 ·
I took a stroll through one of the local Ford-Lincoln lots earlier today and they had a couple new Navigators. It had been so long since I had seen one, I took a quick look at the interior. The glance reminded me that the bones of the Navigator interior deserve some credit...

Don't get me wrong here, it needs a lot of work just to get up to snuff with today's luxury expectations, but I do hope that Lincoln retains this theme in the next Navi. The layout and bones of it are very appropriate for a luxury truck.

See less See more
#2 ·
I actually like the theme of the interior too. The door panels I think look good too. Things I think they should have changed when they updated it last year or the year before is stitching on the dash, lockable glove box, and a push button start. That would have helped a lot

#4 ·
the dual-cowl dash theme is still being used in RR & Bentley (sorta) and not that long ago by Jaguar (some Panthers were Really close to Jags imho)
&
tho not necessarily my favorite, it's OK theoretically ... I just have some issues with the implementation details: borders, edging, flow
and imho looking a bit too upright
otoh
*IF* Lincoln uses their pushbutton trannie interface,
think it'll have to change to accommodate that

#5 ·
The basic structure will have to follow the F-150/Expedition, and I don't see Ford changing that too much.
Lincoln should invest some $ and be let loose to work their design around it

#6 ·
The Navi design is similar to the early '60's Continentals which isn't a bad thing. Maybe Lincoln should adapt a version for the rest of the lineup. However, why can't the center area not only on the Navi but all Lincolns be angled toward the driver instead of being flat. It would make using and seeing the center controls easier. Also, Why does there have to be a "center" controls area? Why can't the instrument panel have everything designed around the driver. Perhaps something similar to the Mark's 4,5 or 7 instrument panel layout but curves to angle toward the driver.

#7 ·
The Navi design is similar to the early '60's Continentals which isn't a bad thing. Maybe Lincoln should adapt a version for the rest of the lineup. However, why can't the center area not only on the Navi but all Lincolns be angled toward the driver instead of being flat. It would make using and seeing the center controls easier. Also, Why does there have to be a "center" controls area? Why can't the instrument panel have everything designed around the driver. Perhaps something similar to the Mark's 4,5 or 7 instrument panel layout but curves to angle toward the driver.
Actually the early Marks had the HVAC controls on the left of the steering wheel

I think that might be a bit too impractical now

but something like the Mark VIII would be nice where its slanted around the driver, almost cockpit like

#8 ·
Where this vehicle really lags is in the powertrain department. The Triton V8 never had the grunt that the better selling Escalade's 6.2L did. While my first inclination is to yank the 5.4L SOHC V8 and replace it with the new 360HP 5.0L DOHC V8 or the 411HP 6.2L, perhaps the better marketing path would be to use the EB 3.5L as the standard plant.

In the plus column, the Navigator always felt much roomier to me than the Escalade. The Caddy has narrow foot wells for its third row passengers even on the ESV and the B-post is right in the way of the feet of middle row passengers as they exit. I didn't experience those annoyances in the Lincoln. The Lincoln has always struck me as classier while the Caddy has always been flashier. Both have all but replaced the Town Car and DeVille in the traditional Black Car niche and are in need of major updates, though, as they are still relevant and important vehicles.

#9 ·
Where this vehicle really lags is in the powertrain department. The Triton V8 never had the grunt that the better selling Escalade's 6.2L did. While my first inclination is to yank the 5.4L SOHC V8 and replace it with the new 360HP 5.0L DOHC V8 or the 411HP 6.2L, perhaps the better marketing path would be to use the EB 3.5L as the standard plant.

In the plus column, the Navigator always felt much roomier to me than the Escalade. The Caddy has narrow foot wells for its third row passengers even on the ESV and the B-post is right in the way of the feet of middle row passengers as they exit. I didn't experience those annoyances in the Lincoln. The Lincoln has always struck me as classier while the Caddy has always been flashier. Both have all but replaced the Town Car and DeVille in the traditional Black Car niche and are in need of major updates, though, as they are still relevant and important vehicles.
A good part of the 3rd row has to do with the independent rear suspension so there is more room back there.

#10 ·
Where this vehicle really lags is in the powertrain department. The Triton V8 never had the grunt that the better selling Escalade's 6.2L did. While my first inclination is to yank the 5.4L SOHC V8 and replace it with the new 360HP 5.0L DOHC V8 or the 411HP 6.2L, perhaps the better marketing path would be to use the EB 3.5L as the standard plant...
700hp 5.0EB
425hp 5.0n/a
350hp 2.7EB
300hp 3.7Hybrid
&
best of all
based on a Global Rwd Platform
instead of enclosing and gussying-up a pickup truck

#11 ·
The new RWD Global platform could do what the Fox platform did for Fomoco years back. It went from Fairmont through Mark7. The new Global RWD platform should be utilized even better than just Mustang/Lincoln sports sedan/Import Ford to get the most out of it. How long can the new RWD platform be stretched before problems begin with performance/structure etc? Can this be made into a proper Navigator size platform? A Navi with this platform would give Lincoln respect instead of being seen as a Ford truck-based vehicle with a Lincoln grill. Navi/Aviator would be fine on this platform. Give the Escalade a run for the money. Just don't get too blingy with the Lincoln and everything should be ok.

#12 ·
Actually the early Marks had the HVAC controls on the left of the steering wheel

I think that might be a bit too impractical now

but something like the Mark VIII would be nice where its slanted around the driver, almost cockpit like
Yes, that is correct. I forgot to include the Mark 8. I would prefer the Mark 8 interior design. Maybe that's the direction for the future interiors??? It still looks modern. The center is angled toward the driver and the navigation screen could fit well in the design.

#13 ·
...How long can the new RWD platform be stretched before problems begin with performance/structure etc?...
TurboS40,
the challenge you state (along with what I've read about the Mustang-class platform being "silo'ed" to a single, smaller size) is why I make strict distinct** about the GRwdP.
If the smallest vehicles on the GRwdP are the Australian Falcon & Territory, which would BENEFIT afaik from being rather 'over-built' for ruggedness,
then afaik stretching it up to Navigator-size wouldn't be a major issue.

** as said elsewhere, the Mustang-class platform would share design-Philosophy with the GRwdP but only *parts* from the electrical system and engine compartment

#14 ·
I'm not a fan of the current Navigator, if there was ever a vehicle that died the death of a thousand cuts relative to competitiveness the current 'Gator is it. There is nothing glaringly wrong here, but there is also nothing that makes the vehicle stand out or makes you feel like you've just got to have one. Realistically, I think Ford would be far better served to return this vehicle to the F-150 platform, retain real off-road capability (honestly more for image than usefulness, but utility never hurts), throw in an interior at least as good from a materials and fit/finish perspective as the one in the new MKZ, and offer a choice of 3.5L EB and 6.2L Boss. Do that, and get the styling fixed, and I think they will be good to go

Of all the vehicles that Ford/Lincoln currently doesn't have 'right', this and the Expy are the easiest fixes IMO. Thankfully, a good deal of my above wishlist appears to be on the menu for the future.

#15 ·
I saw an MKT parked outside of a Chrysler dealer the other day. THAT is something that deserves credit. It seems so small, though... It seems barely taller, if at all, than the too-tall Taurus.

It looks very modern. Very Volvo, in a good way.

700hp 5.0EB
425hp 5.0n/a
350hp 2.7EB
300hp 3.7Hybrid
&
best of all
based on a Global Rwd Platform
instead of enclosing and gussying-up a pickup truck
BOF's are awesome. Nothing like them. I'd never touch a crossover Escalade unless it was INDISTINGUISHABLE from the BOF. Height, width, presence... That last bit is hard to replicate.

#16 ·
I don't mind the idea of a rwd, unibody crossover/suv at Lincoln, but I would like to see the Navigator itself kept BOF because I think it allows them to inexpensively offer a vehicle that offers a premium feel and cool factor that is difficult to match in a less capable truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.