Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln MK? Crossover Spy Pics

12K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Logans Run 
#1 ·
By Zach Bowman

Posted Aug 13th 2012 4:57PM

Lincoln may be working on a new small crossover built on the same platform as the Ford Escape. Our spy photographers recently spotted this early development vehicle out on public streets around Detroit. Slightly larger than its non-luxury sire, the model may bow with a new interpretation of the Ecoboost four-cylinder. It doesn't take a keen eye to spot the larger intercooler stuck low in the hacked front fascia of the Escape. Word has it the vehicle could make use of a new 2.7-liter turbocharged, direct-injection four-cylinder engine, though power figures are still absent at the moment.

What will Lincoln call its newest addition? Chances are the company will stick with the confusing MK-based naming structure it currently uses, and early reports hint the CUV may fly under the MKD banner.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/13/is-lincoln-getting-its-own-version-of-the-ford-escape/

#3 ·
How far will Ford go to disgrace Lincoln.:facepalm:
I just wish Ford would just take their heads out of the clouds and design a Lincoln that the customer wants not what they believe to be the answer.
Hope the design is revolutionary and doesn't make me see the escape influences on it.

#6 ·
The 2.0L Ecoboost engine is likely a given for the base engine (just like the 13' MKZ). Lincoln is supposedly offering a hybrid model for this CUV as well (with the same setup as the MKZ). I'm thinking they might also offer an uprated engine, either the 2.3L Ecoboost I-4 (rumored to be in the next-generation Mustang) or the new 2.7L Ecoboost Nano V6 as an option. A "no-premium" price for the hybrid model could really help the model take off.

2014 will be a CUV year for Lincoln. This model along with a completely redesigned MKX (that's moving to the new CD4 platform that underpins the new Fusion) should be debuting some time next year. Both of those CUVs and the MKZ will really be the core products to get the brand on the right track again.

#7 ·
^ Welcome to FiN, Rofl Wafflez

also...there *could* be a non-EB and an Atkinson version of the new 2.3 4cyl...
(same for the 2.7v6)

...2014 will be a CUV year for Lincoln. This model along with a completely redesigned MKX (that's moving to the new CD4 platform that underpins the new Fusion) should be debuting some time next year. Both of those CUVs and the MKZ will really be the core products to get the brand on the right track again.
the online document I saw mentions the all-new CD4 EDGE for Q3 2014
but does NOT show the MKX...

re: the MKuGa,
that's listed for a Q4 2013 Job1

#8 ·
How far will Ford go to disgrace Lincoln.:facepalm:
I just wish Ford would just take their heads out of the clouds and design a Lincoln that the customer wants not what they believe to be the answer.
Hope the design is revolutionary and doesn't make me see the escape influences on it.
This is a MULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The autoblog article has essentially no facts - just speculation.

#10 ·
It will probably debut in New York if true.
since afaik the MkuGa is the ONLY new Lincoln for cy2013/2014my
pretty sure I already speculated that they might follow the MKZ* pattern:
concept at NAIAS and production at NYC

* the Z is/was the ONLY new Lincoln for cy2012/2013my
+
kinda hard to debut 7 new models in 4 years
if you only get ONE-PER-YEAR

#12 ·
Whats worse, the so called journalist with no clue, or the repeated it looks like a Ford, just kill lincoln reprise of the commenters? Its a platform mule, it doesn't look anything like the end product will. Reading the comments make me want to smack most of them upside their empty heads.

And as is typical, while they all complain about Lincoln's CUV's being Ford platform mates they all miss the fact that the same can be said for Lexus, Cadillac, and Acura's CUV's.

People are so stupid it actually makes my head hurt.

#13 ·
Whats worse, the so called journalist with no clue, or the repeated it looks like a Ford, just kill lincoln reprise of the commenters? Its a platform mule, it doesn't look anything like the end product will. Reading the comments make me want to smack most of them upside their empty heads.

And as is typical, while they all complain about Lincoln's CUV's being Ford platform mates they all miss the fact that the same can be said for Lexus, Cadillac, and Acura's CUV's.

People are so stupid it actually makes my head hurt.

#14 ·
The design team having their own studio should help Lincoln be its own.
Also Ford should make a performance model of the MKZ since they lack a halo car.
AS it stands thou I want Ford to continue with making more appeasing volume sellers, so soon they will have a reason to give Lincoln the desired RWD car it deserves.

#15 ·
The design team having their own studio should help Lincoln be its own.
Also Ford should make a performance model of the MKZ since they lack a halo car.
AS it stands thou I want Ford to continue with making more appeasing volume sellers, so soon they will have a reason to give Lincoln the desired RWD car it deserves.
The only problem I have with that is that its going to be nose heavy since its on a FWD based platform

#17 ·
The only problem I have with that is that its going to be nose heavy since its on a FWD based platform
well
it'd be cool if LINCOLN engines could be lighter
maybe plasma-coated instead of cylinder sleeves?
& maybe ultra light/strong front structure?
battery in back?

Yea I agree, but they need something until Ford okays a RWD Lincoln.
Lincoln will increase sales with the release of the 2013 mkz it just not going to lower the age demographic like they want.
I don't foresee any C-sized RWDs
LincStang 3er-ish being as small as it goes imho
&
Agree the Z won't appeal to *most* young/under30-40
but
imho the MKuGa COULD
(& my "MKE" W*O*U*L*D imho)

#18 ·
I recall reading an article about Lincoln's use of the Escape platform a while back. It seemed they were interested in having 2 models, one a standard wheelbase, and one a stretched wheelbase to compete with the Lexus RX.

#19 ·
I recall reading an article about Lincoln's use of the Escape platform a while back. It seemed they were interested in having 2 models, one a standard wheelbase, and one a stretched wheelbase to compete with the Lexus RX.
There has only ever been one. MkX competes with the RX.

#21 ·
There has only ever been one. MkX competes with the RX.
That's exactly what I recall people posting when the article came out!

The opportunity is there for Lincoln to use the escape platform for a lowered sportwagon style entry, and use a lengthened platform for a largish entry CUV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.