Lincoln MkZ Plug-In Offering Dependent Upon Sales of Fusion Energi - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lincoln MkZ Plug-In Offering Dependent Upon Sales of Fusion Energi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Lincoln MkZ Plug-In Offering Dependent Upon Sales of Fusion Energi

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnFanFl View Post
    ...but it has to make sense economically...
    If I can afford the difference AND if I could be sure it would help put the blood-suckingly greedy Oil execs OUT OF A JOB (& their politico-dogs too)

THAT^ would be a bigger incentive to me currently than even contributing to the down-fall of "foreign states"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    If I can afford the difference AND if I could be sure it would help put the blood-suckingly greedy Oil execs OUT OF A JOB (& their politico-dogs too)

THAT^ would be a bigger incentive to me currently than even contributing to the down-fall of "foreign states"
    I guess the only car that could achieve that would be a plug-in without ANY gasoline engine. But that won't come any time soon...

Ford Ka
    Thanks

I'm hoping the plug-in hybrid is in plan. I want a plug-in, it fits my driving habits very well, and a luxury car with all the bells & whistles. The logic in the response is illogical unless there are shortages of something.

FIN Staff Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,108 Posts

The logic of Ms Hoyt seems a bit off.

It's like saying if enough consumers bought the Ford Fusion or Fusion Hybrid, there would be no need for a Lincoln MKZ or MKZ Hybrid.

Which is why based on a article from insideevs.com, Jim Farley's comments make much more sense:

'Last year, Jim Farley, who is global head of sales and marketing at Ford, said that if the Fusion Energi is received well, that engineers can expand the Lincoln lineup to also allow the new luxury MKZ to accept a plug.'

Which means if the base Ford consumers like the idea of a plug-in midsize sedan, the luxury customer on the Lincoln side may also at a higher price point.

The conversation restarts itself now because July 14, 2014 is the launch date for the 2015 MKZ. The third year for the current MKZ, time for a refresh and a natural time to add a new powertrain to create more buzz around the model. But with new slew of luxury plug-in hybrid competition offering 31 EV miles as point of entry coming for MY2015, the MKZ will need to increase the battery capacity to compete.

Not such much because Lincoln is a luxury brand, but because battery pricing has dropped, and 31 miles of battery power can now be had for the same or less than 21 miles of battery power 3 years ago. Which would mean the Fusion Energi model should get the larger 31 mile battery pack for 2015 also. The C-MAX Energi would get the larger pack with the next gen model that can better integrate the pack into the body structure.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

(are we playing 'this old thread'? )

tho
    I *did* just the other day
    read an article about how the Fusion Energi is significantly out-seling the Fusion Hybrid in California
    (actually the best Energi-selling dealer in the U.S.)
    since their laws re: HOV (High Occupancy Vehilces) "carpool" lanes let an Energi driver go solo
    but not the Hybrid driver

^iirc^

News Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggin View Post
    The logic of Ms Hoyt seems a bit off.

It's like saying if enough consumers bought the Ford Fusion or Fusion Hybrid, there would be no need for a Lincoln MKZ or MKZ Hybrid.

Which is why based on a article from insideevs.com, Jim Farley's comments make much more sense:

'Last year, Jim Farley, who is global head of sales and marketing at Ford, said that if the Fusion Energi is received well, that engineers can expand the Lincoln lineup to also allow the new luxury MKZ to accept a plug.'

Which means if the base Ford consumers like the idea of a plug-in midsize sedan, the luxury customer on the Lincoln side may also at a higher price point.

The conversation restarts itself now because July 14, 2014 is the launch date for the 2015 MKZ. The third year for the current MKZ, time for a refresh and a natural time to add a new powertrain to create more buzz around the model. But with new slew of luxury plug-in hybrid competition offering 31 EV miles as point of entry coming for MY2015, the MKZ will need to increase the battery capacity to compete.

Not such much because Lincoln is a luxury brand, but because battery pricing has dropped, and 31 miles of battery power can now be had for the same or less than 21 miles of battery power 3 years ago. Which would mean the Fusion Energi model should get the larger 31 mile battery pack for 2015 also. The C-MAX Energi would get the larger pack with the next gen model that can better integrate the pack into the body structure.
    I think a MKZ energi would be a great idea, but maybe they could change the energi for the lincolns, maybe Green Label?

FIN Staff Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,725 Times in 1,108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joseodiaga4 View Post
    I think a MKZ energi would be a great idea, but maybe they could change the energi for the lincolns, maybe Green Label?
    Or maybe use the same Energi for plug in hybrids, and Electric for full EVs for all Ford/Lincoln vehicles for consistency. And let Green Label be the category.

For instance:

Ford Fusion Hybrid | Lincoln MKZ Hybrid with Green Label badging

Ford Fusion Energi | Lincoln MKZ Energi with Green Label badging

Focus Electric | Lincoln MKZ Electric - Green Label badging

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggin
    ...Ford...(and)...Lincoln... Green Label badging...

imho, all "LABEL"s belong to LINCOLN now
    ( of course I hope trademarking [ -Label ] was JUST to keep anyone else from using it!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    ...maybe they could change the energi for the lincolns...
    imho
    with electric components in the drivetrains,
    there are MORE ways to differentiate Lincolns** from Fords:
    - my fave-fixation; V-Awd, with electric motors added just to non-petrol drive wheels
    - hybrids; could have EITHER electrics or petrol increased
    - ...OR just the batteries(capacitors?) be more capacious than the Fords
    - Energi's; ^ditto^
    - BEV's; could have another electric motor added for AWD (along-or with more battery capacity)
    plus using higher-priced bits-n-pieces (aluminum/composites) to make the Lincolns lighter/more-efficient

** in addition to Lincoln having engines that are "exclusive-to-each-model":
    Ford / Lincoln
    1.0 ---- 1.5
    1.5 ---- 2.0
    2.0 ---- 2.3
    2.3 ---- 2.7 etc...

10. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.