Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln To Focus On Targeting Highest-Volume Luxury Segments

34K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  Caddylac10 
#1 ·
  • Lincoln may be Ford’s in-house luxury brand, but don’t expect to see a flagship concept like Cadillac’s stunning Ciel from it in the near future. Instead, Lincoln’s product plan calls for a focus on building competitive products for the highest volume luxury segments.
  • While a flagship vehicle (or a stunning concept) may draw attention to the brand, producing such a high-cost, low-demand product simply doesn’t make financial sense for Lincoln. Instead, Lincoln is choosing to focus on building segment-leading vehicles to claw its way up the sales charts. As Automotive News (subscription required) reports, Lincoln trails luxury marques like Lexus and Infiniti by a large margin, and barely sells more vehicles than Toyota’s entry-level Scion brand. The fact that Lincoln’s sales are down by 11-percent year to date (reducing its market share to just 0.6 percent) makes its climb back to prosperity that much more difficult.

More on link
So no big RWD sedan from Lincoln..probably no any rwd sedan from lincoln (or anything on rwd platform)

#27 ·
I agree with you. All Lincoln is doing is failing more. The new MKZ is not to attract younger Buyers. For the design director and team to say such things, it is obvious they need to be replaced. Looking at the cars it is competing against, this car looks like a modern American luxury car for the mature age group. Their goal did not come a success. I am speaking from a 100000% Ford fan including Lincoln being that it is Ford luxury brand. I get very disappoint when I look at the New MKZ knowing what their goal is. I think if it wasn't competeing with such high styled and performance vehicles, it might not look so weird. I personally think the MKZ is nice but it do not have much youth in it at all. In the photo above, i absolutely hate that image of the car, it look not so cool and for the older group.
I legitimately thought the MKZ was supposed to be targeting the more mature. If they wanted to get young people's attention, make a smaller car... And make it either ALWAYS and ONLY AWD or RWD/AWD.

As a mature car, the MKZ is phenomenal. As a youthful car, it sucks. I don't think you'll successfully target most youth if you don't include great performance.

They probably live in cardboard boxes.
Cardboard box. They all pooled their money together and barely bought a new refrigerator, but threw it out since they can't pay for electricity. They all live in the same refrigerator box.

Lincoln has a plan that will work. Halo cars won't help all that will do is just rob money from the new products slated to come out. Waiting is the hard part but Cadillac had people waiting just as long before they got where they are now and that took over 10 years. Lincoln will be fine as the new products will be extremely competitive and be filled with technology and great features.

CCD will have handling that rivals all challengers. It is a turning point in Lincoln driving experience. This new MKZ is SEXY as **** also. The new MKS will be absolutely stunning and the new MKX will blow you away. RWD will come but it is not so pressing it has to come RIGHT NOW. I'm very confident in Lincoln as I have seen what is to come and what is available now is great.
I have confidence in the competency of Ford much moreso than Cadillac. I think Ford is moving cautiously, but I think they could effectively and successfully move at a much faster pace than Cadillac.

When could we expect the new MKX?

I agree, totally.
Whatever it is they're co-developing with the S550 it should be quite an attraction and an aspiration - something that people will most likely see as a halo model anyway.
Co-developing with the S550? What?

I have the same question to ask Cadillac. Why would a person with a BMW 3, Audi A4, or MB C want to trade their car in for a Cadillac ATS?
Looks. Athleticism. For some like me, it's an American car. Best of all, it's a Cadillac. It's also a new entry. Great interior. It's gonna be the tops, baby.

For the MKZ, it's absolutely gorgeous but it's JUST missing something. I like it, but it's sort of like the CTS. It's a great car, but it falls short of being absolutely competitive.

There is a large part of the market for which the 2013 MKZ is going to have great appeal IMO. People who for the most part won't even notice the shortcomings that will be discussed to death on a forum like this one.
I LOVE the MKZ. To me, it's a fantastic alternative to luxury. It's a departure from classic luxury, sort of reminiscent of Volvo, which I'm also starting love. It's like an American luxury interpretation of Scandinavian modernism.

#28 ·
OK........Question: Why would I buy the 2013 MKZ? Outside of the giant sunroof, EB engine and great slick styling, what else would get me to buy a new MKZ over BMW, MB, Cadillac, Audi and all? What makes the Z stand out well above the rest in all aspects?? Was class leading in everything designed into this vehicle. Class-Leading and being above all in this category for that the vehicle along with staying true to the Lincoln heritage would get my vote.

As an example here, I'm in the market for this type of vehicle that the new Z represents. Say I'm driving a BMW and looking to trade. I would compare/drive/whatever else to see what I like/don't like about the vehicles i'm looking to buy. Will the new Z lead in all categories to close the deal? This is an example here but the buying public look at these things when making a purchase. If it does close the deal then that's the end of my discussion here. If I were to decide on a different vehicle, WHY?
I don't necessarily think the MKZ is targeting the 3-series/C-class crowd. It's main target is the Lexus ES and those buyers tend to be much older than the RWD compact sedan buyer.

Early reviews of the new ES suggest it is not as good as it's predecessor. It's noisier and not as isolated as the previous model. I think this is a good opportunity for Lincoln to swoop in and grab some of those potential buyers who will be turned off by the new ES.

The addition of the new Lincoln small CUV should help boost sales by quite a bit. With no Escape Hybrid model this is a perfect opportunity for Lincoln to have an exclusive MK-Escape Hybrid. 20% of all MKZ sales are hybrid models and most of those customers are new to the brand or conquest sales.

The MKX is another core product that needs a redesign. I would love for the MKX to go 3-row with the next redesign. There's really no need for Lincoln to have 2 2-row CUVs even if one is a little bigger. Lincoln needs a good 3-row family hauler and the MKT just failed to get the job done. I feel the MKX name has a lot of name recognition because it's been on the market since 2007. I believe Lexus is mulling turning the RX into a 3-row crossover with it's next redesign.

#29 ·
The MKX is another core product that needs a redesign. I would love for the MKX to go 3-row with the next redesign. There's really no need for Lincoln to have 2 2-row CUVs even if one is a little bigger. Lincoln needs a good 3-row family hauler and the MKT just failed to get the job done. I feel the MKX name has a lot of name recognition because it's been on the market since 2007. I believe Lexus is mulling turning the RX into a 3-row crossover with it's next redesign.
I believe you are right about the RX getting bigger, as it was just announced that Lexus is introducing a smaller CUV.

#30 ·
altho I'm all in favor of Lincoln establishing their own kind of 'appeal'
just wanted to say
imho an Infiniti CAR is about the last that I'd expect cross-shopped with Lincoln
tho that might be a web-ism since I only see performance enthusiasts say anything good about Infiniti...

...maybe WHEN the Nano 2.7EB is out and IF Lincoln also gets some RWDs with a 5.0EB
(like I've speculated)
then I could see BASE Lincolns cross-shopped with TOP-END Infinitis
I only through Infiniti in there because they aren't seen as a BMW/Merc/Audi/Lexus competitor, but a step (or more) below. The only cars they sell are the G series, read Z-car, and the M, the rest of the line up are SUV/CUV's. Its kinda funny, but they are actually more in line with where Lincoln would be with platform sharing. Every vehicle with the exception of the M is based off a Nissan, and even the M is a Nissan in other markets. I would imagine in the near future Lincoln too will be a SUV/CUV heavy brand with only a couple, maybe three cars.

My larger point to the post was that the MKZ will be cross shopped by those who aren't in the market for what enthusiasts would consider a real luxury auto, but what is more in line with a badge engineered car. Look at the top selling cars by all but the big three of BMW/Merc/Audi and they are all on platforms shared with their more mundane corporate brand. And there is nothing wrong with that when done well, unless you're a brainless commenter to a site like Autoblog.

#31 ·
Looks. Athleticism. For some like me, it's an American car. Best of all, it's a Cadillac. It's also a new entry. Great interior. It's gonna be the tops, baby.
I agree, and I'm not a big fan of Cadillac's modern look, but overal the ATC and even the current CTS manage to have both a refined, upscale look, while also exuding strength and power. They've done well with them both.

For the MKZ, it's absolutely gorgeous but it's JUST missing something. I like it, but it's sort of like the CTS. It's a great car, but it falls short of being absolutely competitive.
I like parts of the Z, love others, but overall as a whole it misses the mark for me. The car to me looks heavy, looks fat, does not look like a car that will be light on its feet as the above mentioned Caddy's do. While sharing the same platform the Fusion, which to me looks lean, looks like it would be fun to drive, and that important, to me anyways.

I can only hope the Z looks better in person, but at this point I could not see buying one over the new Fusion.

I LOVE the MKZ. To me, it's a fantastic alternative to luxury. It's a departure from classic luxury, sort of reminiscent of Volvo, which I'm also starting love. It's like an American luxury interpretation of Scandinavian modernism.
We are clearly two people with very different tastes! LOL

#32 ·
finally found and (slightly) updated/added to my

Top Lux Mfg Sales List
_2011____2010___models
94,371 - 100,910 - 3 series
82,595 -- 95,790 - L. RX
69,314 -- 58,785 - C class
62,736 -- 60,922 - E class

57,511 -- 45,644 - Mini Brand
51,491 -- 39,488 - 5 series
40,873 -- 48,652 - L. ES
40,547 -- 35,776 - X5
35,835 -- 29,698 - M class
35,234 -- 34,672 - A4

29,669 -- 34,129 - L. IS
27,793 --- 6,075 - X3
25,139 -- 19,943 - GL class
24,908 -- 23,518 - Q5
24,310 -- 20,946 - GLK class
15,385 -- 16,379 - A5
14,381 -------- 0 - L. CT
12,258 -- 13,608 - S class
11,609 -- 16,450 - L. GX
11,299 -- 12,253 - 7 series
11,124 --- 8,675 - A6

-9,568 -- 12,275 - L. LS
-8,998 --- 7,976 - Q7
-8,832 -- 13,132 - 1 series
-6,561 --- 6,558 - A3
-6,270 -------- 0 - A7
-6,192 --- 6,257 - X6
-5,700 --- 1,521 - A8
-5,665 --- 2,135 - MB CLS
-3,903 --- 2,418 - 6 series
-3,746 --- 7,059 - L. GS
-3,479 --- 3,804 - Z4
-3,220 --- 1,980 - MB SLK
-3,167 --- 3.983 - L. LX
-2,864 -- 10,663 - L. HS
-2,236 --- 1,531 - TT
-1,449 --- 2,385 - MB SL
-1,145 ----- 799 - R8
---943 --- 1,035 - MB CL
---722 ----- 499 - MB SLS-AMG

if anyone could redo the list by segments, that'd be great!
I don't know all the models listed well enough to do it without research I don't have time/energy for
THO
imho the 5-series is Not the same segment as a Lexus ES
...etc...
even if they are cross-shopped

#33 ·
Its probably too early for this but here we go........does anybody know how the 2.0EB MKZ will perform compared to the 3.7? Will the performance/handling etc be enough to bring in a whole new buyer to the Lincoln brand? Is it worth it to offer a limited edition 3.5EB MKZ as the "sleeper" in the lineup? I'm only asking because I have no idea how the 2.0EB or 3.7L 0-60 times, cornering g's, 1/4 mile etc will be.

#34 ·
C/D got a 0-60 time with a FWD 3.7 MKX in 6.4 seconds. This test car weighed in at 4317 lbs. A FWD Edge with the 2.0T got a 7.4 0-60 time and it weighed in about 280 lbs less at 4050. That's a good 1 second difference.

The heaviest version of the Fusion (2.0T Titanium) weighs in at 3427 lbs. Assume a roughly 50 lb increase for the 3.7 motor and another 100-150 lbs for extra sound deadening/electronics. I'm thinking the new MKZ will weigh in at 3600 lbs for a FWD 3.7 model. Seeing it weighs about 600 lbs less than the MKX tested I'm thinking the 3.7 FWD model will go 0-60 well under 6 seconds. I'm thinking 5.6-5.7-ish.

#35 ·
I really can't stand this. I loved Mercury my whole life, but that brand was killed so that Lincoln could become...a clumsier version? Mercury at least had a racing history (which idiots in Dearborn deserted) and had been the "coolest" Ford division during their heyday.

Lincoln has usually been...a way to spend a lot of money for Ford parts.

With so little separating the MKS and Taurus, maybe it's time to quit pretending Lincoln is anything other than Mercury, and change the name to what it should be.

Yes, before Mercury's departure, they were supposed to get an entry-level compact called the Tracer and now that Mercury is gone Lincoln is supposed to get one.

Notice in the Auto News article Lincoln is supposed to bring out an "entry-level" crossover. I have a feeling that's what Ford wants Lincoln to be is an entry-level brand to compete with Buick and Acura.

#36 ·
Some rumors regarding Mustang and Lincoln from other forum
Here is a quick crash course for the newbies.

-The new Mustang is slated to come out for the 2015 MY. It will be riding on the current S197 platform, albeit highly modified. The project is believed to be named S550.

-IRS (independent rear suspension) will be gained.

-Weight will be lost. Ford's goal is to shed 200-300 LBS off the car depending on trim. Since it is riding on the current platform, the weight rumors may be off.

-Retro will be out, and Evos Concept's Kinetic design language will be in, but it will keep all of the traditional Mustang bits: long hood, short deck, RWD, and affordable.

-EcoBoost will be seen in this generation, most likely as a four-pot. Displacement is still unknown.

-The fate of the V6 is still unknown, but recent spy pix have given the wonderful Duratec hope.

-V8 is not going anywhere.

-Based on recent spy pix of an early mule, we will be seeing a new exhaust resonator that Ford has patented.

-An all-new interior is going to debut, obviously with MFT.

-A RWD Lincoln will spawn from this platform, supposedly replacing the MKS. Expect it to release in the 2015-2016 MY. Suicide doors are going to be making it on to the sedan.

Forum LINK

This is what we know as of 8/16/2012.

#37 ·
The 2013 MKZ might sell even better than expected with the addition of a few Special Editions. For exemple color/trim and or sportier models. Color/Trim cars sold very well for Lincoln years back. Might be a good time to revive these for added sales boost. The same could be applied to the MKS. Who knows.. maybe people will buy the MKS(more than they do now) if a special color/trim/sport package(s) are offered. Look what all those special editions are doing for the Mustang.

Please somebody help me. Why is dark green or dark blue not on the color chart for the 2013 MKZ???

#38 ·
THANKS for posting this nextgen Mustang summary, asrapid!

however
... -A RWD Lincoln will spawn from this platform, supposedly replacing the MKS. Expect it to release in the 2015-2016 MY. Suicide doors are going to be making it on to the sedan.
afaik
the Mustang platform, present or future, will not support a car SO MUCH larger as an MKS-replacment or flagship would have to be
also
I haven't heard ANYthing reliable about suicide-doors ... do you have a source Link?

that ^ said,
I still believe the correct interpretation of the original "story" is that
LINCOLN WILL BUILD A 3-SERIES FIGHTER

imho a segment consisting of the 3er + C-class + L. IS + ATS (193,354/193,824) is the highest-volume Lux segment
and therefor
the next segment that Lincoln will be targeting.
Q.E.D.

As for a flagship/MKS-replacement/Continental,
(which might be about the size of the nextgen CTS and split-the-difference between the 5er/7er, E-&-S-classes making the 'segment' larger than immediately apparent)
again afaik
the decision isn't DUE to be finalized for at least a year
so nothing to report yet
&
that decision CAN involve the fate of the Falcon, the GRwdP, AND the CD4+3 platform FAMILY
which
will make it a very Large 'segment' WITHIN Fomoco for sharing development costs.
(even if it doesn't serve for Navigator/Aviator/Territory)

Others' opinions pro-&-CON are invited!!

#41 ·
My opinion is the current gen Mustang is very good, the next should be able to support a true 3 series competitor and Ford would be plain stupid not to exploit that with Lincoln.
TY, SP1966!
do you also think the article pretty much HAS TO be interpreted as confirming the Lincoln 3er?
since (afaik) no other Lux segment is higher volume?

#42 ·
TY, SP1966!
do you also think the article pretty much HAS TO be interpreted as confirming the Lincoln 3er?
I think the RX and 3 are the two best-selling luxury vehicles. So, yes, it seems sort of confirmed. Whether or not it'll be a 3 competitor is up for debate, I'd think. I'd guess just a luxury compact. Think A4. If it's a 3 competitor, it'd produce somewhat of a dichotomy between IT and what Lincoln claims to target. Lexus and Audi don't typically have an association with great performance. Not in my mind, at least.

With a direct 3 competitor (based on performance, which is the only way I think it would make sense to utilize a Mustang platform), it would focus one of Lincoln's highest volume models on performance while the rest of its lineup would be... what?

#43 ·
TY, SP1966!
I don't know if the article confirm anything, but given Lincoln's current state it would be a mistake not to rebuild it from the bottom up. Older generations are pretty set in their ways, they are unlikely to jump from their current preferred brand to Lincoln unless its a grand slam. Given the state of competition within the top of the line luxury brands even a grand slam will be no guarantee of success.

On the other hand if they rebuild/rebrand Lincoln from the bottom with a car that stands shoulder to shoulder with the 3 Series they can bring in a younger generation that can grow with Lincoln as it fills out its upper range of cars with competitive models. They are not going to build brand loyalty from the top down IMO, it has to be grown up the range.

As to your question, we can only hope. Mullaly has done a spectacular job with Ford, hopefully his vision is 20/20 with Lincoln too!

Edit: Also, with Mullaly's desire to extend platforms to more markets/segments it only makes sense that the 'Stang cannot stand on its own. The fact that it is being engineered for right hand drive for foreign market screams volume. A Linc'Stang as you put it is just far to obvious to be anything but real!

I think the RX and 3 are the two best-selling luxury vehicles. So, yes, it seems sort of confirmed. Whether or not it'll be a 3 competitor is up for debate, I'd think. I'd guess just a luxury compact. Think A4. If it's a 3 competitor, it'd produce somewhat of a dichotomy between IT and what Lincoln claims to target. Lexus and Audi don't typically have an association with great performance. Not in my mind, at least.
The problem with claiming to go the Audi route is that Audi is rear biased AWD, and Ford's current platforms are all front biased so it will never stand up to scrutiny amongst those in the know. I agree with you though that Lincoln is going to attempt to pursue a more Audi like brand, not an outright Luxury/Performance brand like BMW. :(

With a direct 3 competitor (based on performance, which is the only way I think it would make sense to utilize a Mustang platform), it would focus one of Lincoln's highest volume models on performance while the rest of its lineup would be... what?
I don't see the issue with a direct 3 Series competitor in that the 3 is not only a performance car, its an all around luxury car with a sporting/performance base. The vast majority of 3 Series cars sold are not of the M variety, but the more garden variety. Given that, I see no reason why the MKZ/MKS cannot be stop gap cars that maintain the current geriatric generation of customers, while filling in the bottom of the range with 3 Series, or even A/S4 like car to build the brand moving forward. IMO, to do anything else is to relegate Lincoln's future aspirations to being Ford's Buick.

What pixxes me off is to see Hyundai building Genesis, if they can do it then for Ford not to is just BS excuses. I understand Genesis is more second tier Lexus at this point, but its superior to MKS while similar in size and market. In Hyundai's case it makes sense as Genesis is the top tier of the Hyundai brand, so in reality Hyundai has built their brand from the bottom up too, and they did it from far closer to ground level then Ford is starting at with Lincoln.

I don't pretend to know the dollars and cents of doing what I'm talking about here, but I know if Lincoln is ever to be seen as a legit luxury brand its the only way to get there!

#44 ·
-...So, yes, it seems sort of confirmed...

- I think the RX and 3 are the two best-selling luxury vehicles...

- Whether or not it'll be a 3 competitor is up for debate, I'd think. I'd guess just a luxury compact... ...Lexus and Audi don't typically have an association with great performance. Not in my mind, at least...

- If it's a 3 competitor, it'd produce somewhat of a dichotomy between IT and what Lincoln claims to target.

- With a direct 3 competitor (based on performance, which is the only way I think it would make sense to utilize a Mustang platform), it would focus one of Lincoln's highest volume models on performance...

- while the rest of its lineup would be... what?
- TY, sfbreh!

- imho the MKX is the RX competitor
& tho it can improve (hope the nextgen isn't too diff)
imho that segment is filled...
& NEXT
(but skipping over the MKuGa which is next in the timeline)

- I'm thinking of a LincStang (Mustang-co-platformed) and THAT really can't = a "compact" per se

- I agree on the dichotomy and support that: the RWD LincStang and (hopefully) Continental would be an upper/top range

- the LincStang will definitely be performance -- but refined & Lux
BUT it won't-or-doesn't have to be all that High Volume
esp at first

- as I said earlier, the other Lincoln models (will) target other major Lux segments
imho
so far
they've been more determined FROM what Ford had available for modifying
in the future,
they'll be planned from the other end: what they want achieve.
That may seem a small change but imho it's crucial
& I hope
will be the starting point for Fomoco! product development;
instead of changing the Ford vehicle,
they START with the Lincoln then cheapen it for Ford production.

all^ just imho

#45 ·
I don't know if the article confirm anything...

- but given Lincoln's current state it would be a mistake not to rebuild it from the bottom up...

- They are not going to build brand loyalty from the top down IMO, it has to be grown up the range... (yet) ...What pixxes me off is to see Hyundai building Genesis, if they can do it then for Ford not to is just BS excuses.

- The vast majority of 3 Series cars sold are not of the M variety, but the more garden variety...

- As to your question, we can only hope. Mullaly has done a spectacular job with Ford, hopefully his vision is 20/20 with Lincoln too!
- yeah; the article is not an official announcement but more "implication".
(kinda think/hope FLincMoCo was first saying, "Pray no one figures this out!"
& now saying, "D@mn you, 2b2!"

- as in the ^dichotomy^, I see the RWD Lincolns as higher not "from the bottom".
Size-wise re: bottom; there's the MkuGa & I still hope for a Focus/C-Max-based MKE
&
imho a RWD Continental is required (at the moment, thinking the "CD4+3 Poll" idea could work)

- imho Cadillac has *started out* 'too low' with the ATS engine-wise
then
will jump up too much with the inevitable ATS-V

- afaik Mr. M. hasn't had that much to do with PRODUCT Vision - bringing back the Taurus name was 'just' marketing,
really a Methods guy (THANK GOD);
& I hope he stays out of product -- at least until he's learned enough about cars to never consider another Lexus!!!

#46 ·
copied from: Future Products on AutomotiveNews - check back Aug20 for Ford

MONTEREY, Calif. -- The next step in the reinvention of Lincoln is no baby step, it's a compact crossover.

Lincoln is focusing its efforts on luxury's twin towers -- the huge and ever-expanding C segment sedan and crossover categories, usually classified by BMW's 3 series on one side and the Lexus RX on the other. And Lincoln is avoiding the really pricey niches that account for about 10 percent of luxury sales.

Here at Pebble Beach, Cadillac kept up the drum beat for the top-tier BMW-Mercedes sedan strata. It showed renderings of a concept car that will appear at a 2013 auto show, hinting at a flagship rear-driver to challenge the 7-series and S-class.

That's a class Lincoln is going to skip for the time being as it works on the fundamentals of the brand.

Indeed, depending on your definition of flagship, it sounds as though Lincoln executives are prepared to forego having a flagship indefinitely.

But do the brand's self-imposed limitations really suggest its stewards have no interest in a halo car.

"I don't think it says that," says Lincoln product development chief Scott Tobin.

"The segments are fundamentally the small, and medium premium utilities, the D-segment, and the C or C-D (sedans)," he said.

And that D-segment (Taurus-sized) car can be a full-fledged halo car, he says.

"That is kind of where I would put a car like that. The next reincarnation of that would be the next generation MKS," Tobin said. "I can see us with a D-segment flagship vehicle. I think we would have to do that. We're not ruling it out by any means. We're working on that."

But go much beyond a luxury sedan that is a cousin of the Taurus and you are into areas Lincoln can't really fool with at the moment.

"The other 10 percent is some of the really kind of niche stuff," Tobin said. "We look at that, don't get me wrong. We are always playing around with ideas. But we know we have to be competitive in those core areas, get your piece of the pie, then we'll play around with some of the other things."

And what about the compact crossover?

"That small premium utility segment is growing" said Tobin. "It's a the fastest growing segment."

So don't be surprised if two years from now at Pebble, we'll see just such a Lincoln -- using the same architecture as the Ford Escape, but with completely different sheet metal.

Still, the subject of immediate attention is the MKZ coming this fall -- the 3-series/C-class fighter that Galpin Ford megadealer Beau Boeckmann is salivating to get his hands on.

"We can't can wait to get that car out here," said Boeckmann as he looked out at an MKZ sitting a few steps from the 18th Green at Pebble Beach. "That's what we need in Los Angeles.

"I'm extremely excited about the future of Lincoln," said the Galpinizer, ultimate cool California dealer. "This an extremely capable Lincoln management team and they are playing to win rather than playing not to lose."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120818/BLOG06/120819856#ixzz23wgjBRW9

#47 ·
Re: Lincoln Targets Highest-Volume Luxury Segments

...But do the brand's self-imposed limitations really suggest its stewards have no interest in a halo car.

"I don't think it says that," says Lincoln product development chief Scott Tobin.

"The segments are fundamentally the small, and medium premium utilities, the D-segment, and the C or C-D (sedans)," he said.

And that D-segment (Taurus-sized) car can be a full-fledged halo car, he says.

"That is kind of where I would put a car like that. The next reincarnation of that would be the next generation MKS," Tobin said. "I can see us with a D-segment flagship vehicle. I think we would have to do that. We're not ruling it out by any means. We're working on that."

((Still, the subject of immediate attention is the MKZ coming this fall -- the 3-series/C-class fighter that Galpin Ford megadealer Beau Boeckmann is salivating to get his hands on.))
SO^
now we have the Continental confirmed TOO!

(wonder if the mention of the Taurus could mean the CD4+3 Poll is right?!?)
((just be careful anywhere near the drugged-out Galpinizer who thinks the Z is a 3))

&
"...don't be surprised if two years from now at Pebble, we'll see just such a Lincoln -- using the same architecture as the Ford Escape, but with completely different sheet metal..."
the MKuGa Job1 is set for Q4 2013 so he's talking "been in production for almost a year"...
...not a concept

edit
OK, with the above reading-btwn-the-lines, here are the
7 new Lincolns in 4 years
2012 MKZ (1st half)

2013 MKuGa
2013 MKZ (2nd half = Nano 2.7v6&EB)

2014 LincStang
2014 MKX
2014 Navi

2015 Continental
2015 Aviator

the split for 2014 & 2015 are guesses based on Ford Brand releases

#48 ·
I'd still take a strong guess that both the "MKD" and redesigned MKX will both debut as 2014 models in late 2013. Much like the Fusion/MKZ debuted in the same model year I would think the Edge/MKX would do the same.

What I'd like to see in 2014:

MKZ- 2.3L Ecoboost I-4 280hp (detuned for FWD applications) AWD is optional
Optional 2.7L Ecoboost V6 330 hp (detuned for FWD applications) AWD-only
Hybrid model

MKD- 2.3L Ecoboost I-4 280hp (detuned for FWD applications) AWD is optional
Hybrid model

MKX- 2.7L Ecoboost V6 330 hp (detuned for FWD applications) AWD-only
Offers 3-rows of seating (MKT becomes new "Town Car", Edge continues on as a Murano/Venza competitor, MKX becomes an MDX competitor)

#49 ·
I'd still take a strong guess that both the "MKG" and redesigned MKX will both debut as 2014 models in late 2013. Much like the Fusion/MKZ debuted in the same model year I would think the Edge/MKX would do the same.

What I'd like to see in 2014:

MKZ- 2.3L Ecoboost I-4 280hp (detuned for FWD applications) AWD is optional
Optional 2.7L Ecoboost V6 330 hp (detuned for FWD applications) AWD-only
Hybrid model

MKG- 2.3L Ecoboost I-4 280hp (detuned for FWD applications) AWD is optional
Hybrid model

MKX- 2.7L Ecoboost V6 330 hp (detuned for FWD applications) AWD-only
Offers 3-rows of seating (MKT becomes new "Town Car", Edge continues on as a Murano/Venza competitor, MKX becomes an MDX competitor)
FYI, ROFL-W

I've been politely brow-beating everyone within reach to call the MkuGa the MKG

& saw an online document that claimed its Job1 would be Q4 2013
BUT
the MKX remained unlisted THO the Edge was dated Q3 2014
which is why my timeline
HOWEVER
the next MKZ *IS* listed as a year before the next Fusion
Q3 2017 vs Q3 2018
so who knows...

re: your
2014 list's drivetrains
I've read that EB
will make 140hp-per-liter
so
I anticipate the 2.3EB4 and 2.7EB6 to be pretty close in power
~322hp vs ~350hp
(not sure either will ever be Fwd - esp/at least the 2.7EB6)
however/also
I expect a new version of a 2.0EB making 280hp (finally!) which imho could easily be used as Fwd

#50 ·
Yes, before Mercury's departure, they were supposed to get an entry-level compact called the Tracer and now that Mercury is gone Lincoln is supposed to get one.

Notice in the Auto News article Lincoln is supposed to bring out an "entry-level" crossover. I have a feeling that's what Ford wants Lincoln to be is an entry-level brand to compete with Buick and Acura.
BMW (X1), Audi (Q3), and Mercedes (GLK) are all entering the same "entry-level" crossover segment - to me it only makes sense for Lincoln to enter the segment, especially now while the segment is young and growing - it will establish the brand in that segment, and could lead to customers moving up into larger/more expensive Lincoln products down the road.

This doesn't have to be as difficult as Ford is making it here. The MKR should have been built for the 2009 model year. The vehicle would have contributed to sales instead of a sales slide as the current model line up (or lack of) allows. The Gen2 MKR could have improved on the current Platform with the redesign for 2014/15. All we know is we will get another CUV (MKC) sometime in 2013. So??? Some of us don't care about SUV/CUV's. So it looks like the MKZ and "MKCuv" are It for a while until the Euro Market gets fixed. You know, The Panther Town Car should have continued in production until a REAL proper replacement is ready. And while on the subject, the Mountaineer should have been salvaged and returned back to Lincoln as the Aviator when Mercury ended. Again, The next gen version of the Aviator so we are told will be again on the showroom floor some day. do.
Had a viable platform been available, we would have had an MKR already - I remember that was one of the questions Mulally asked when he was brought in, when does MKR production start and was told that it wouldn't, it was just a concept. The concept was put on some sort of stretched Mustang platform, but it was apparently was not feasible to put it into production. I won't pretend to know much about what would go into stretching a platform and making it production-ready, but it's what I know from what happened with the MKR concept that makes me question (or at least uncertain) the rumors of an MKR replacement w/ suicide doors being tied to the Mustang platform. Maybe changes were able to be made for the new model that allowed the platform to be stretched making the rumors true......I don't know?

From what I know, an "Aviator"/MKExplorer is coming. I was told by a Ford rep who was going around showing dealers the new Explorer before it was on sale at a local debut event that certain features would be left for the Lincoln model, though I will admit, I expected it to be here by now.

I don't think the MKX needs to or should go 3 rows, I think it should stay right where it's at (2 rows), and leave the 3-row market to the coming "Aviator"/MKExplorer and MKT. There's room below the MKX for the MKD/G.....Using the "Big 3" as examples, they each have 2 2-row CUVs under their 3-row offerings (BMW - X1, X3; MB - GLK, ML; Audi - Q3, Q5)

I like parts of the Z, love others, but overall as a whole it misses the mark for me. The car to me looks heavy, looks fat, does not look like a car that will be light on its feet as the above mentioned Caddy's do. While sharing the same platform the Fusion, which to me looks lean, looks like it would be fun to drive, and that important, to me anyways.
I will agree, certain angles do make the MKZ look bulky.

I really can't stand this. I loved Mercury my whole life, but that brand was killed so that Lincoln could become...a clumsier version? Mercury at least had a racing history (which idiots in Dearborn deserted) and had been the "coolest" Ford division during their heyday.

Lincoln has usually been...a way to spend a lot of money for Ford parts.

With so little separating the MKS and Taurus, maybe it's time to quit pretending Lincoln is anything other than Mercury, and change the name to what it should be.
You're basing your statements on the Lincoln lineup today, not looking ahead to what's coming.

SO^
now we have the Continental confirmed TOO!
I think it's only logical to assume that once the brand has its core products in line and is healthier/more successful that they'd expand into the lower volume, higher priced segments (flagship, coupes, convertibles, etc)

#51 ·
This may sound contradictory, but it may be a good thing that Lincoln did not have Max earlier. What he would have wanted for the MKZ, would have demanded a lot more re-engineering of the platform, and in seperating it even more from the Fusion would have been expensive. Max would have been frustrated by the bean counters saying they can't price the car above XX, and we would have another stressed out designer ready to jump ship.
Lincoln needs the volume the MKZ can bring at this price level. The next MKZ can be more stunning, and sell for more, once the compact Lincolns arrive for high-volume duty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.