Ford Inside News banner

FPV fills gap with GT RSPEC

10K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
13 August 2012
By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS
Go Auto

FORD Performance Vehicles has released a track-focussed GT limited edition, introducing a launch control function for the first time, along with a host of suspension modifications, but no performance or brake upgrades.

Dubbed RSPEC (for Racetrack Specification) and priced from $76,990, production will be limited to 350 sedans and 75 utes, all boasting a paint and stripe package reminiscent of Ford’s iconic Mustang of the late 1960s.

In stark contrast to the new entry-level Holden Special Vehicles ClubSport models announced just last week, the RSPEC will sit at the upper end of FPV’s V8 range of FG-derived performance sedans, plugging the gap between the $70,790 GT on which it is based and the $82,090 GT-P/$82,490 GT-E luxury flagship versions.

It is powered by the locally built all-alloy ‘Miami’ Boss 335 5.0-litre supercharged V8 petrol engine introduced two years ago, which continues to deliver 335kW of power and 570Nm of torque to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual or six-speed ZF automatic gearbox.

The new launch control system – enabled from ignition – helps optimise torque delivery for “smooth, consistent launch on typical road surfaces”, according to Bernie Quinn, the chief engineer of FPV parent company Prodrive Australia.

To that end, stiffer transmission mounts have also been fitted to reduce powertrain and driveline movement under load, as well as improve ride quality.

The rear suspension gains higher spring rates, retuned dampers, reinforced lower control arms and a thicker anti-roll bar, while the front end also receives the modified dampers, as well as stiffer upper control arm bushes and upper strut mounts.

For improved cornering and traction capabilities, the RSPEC also adopts new nine-inch rear wheels shod with the 275/35 R19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tyres first seen on the 125 GT Black cars of last year, along with a revised toe setting on the rear wheel alignment for better turn-in response.

“From the outset with the GT RSPEC, we wanted more agile handling with better traction, and so the suspension had to be considered holistically, unlike the aftermarket, where you might bolt on a set of wider tyres and hope for the best,” said Mr Quinn.

“The new car thus received a significant number of component changes to develop this totally integrated package.”

Full text at link

See less See more
#6 ·
Needless to say, the Miami V8 used by FPV would make V6 levels of horsepower if they took off the supercharger. The Boss Mustang has had it's engine tuned for power without supercharging. The FPV Boss compression ratio is much lower and is probably set for low boost. The FPV R-spec has no more power or torque than a non-R-spec FPV Boss 335. Just like the Boss 302 Laguna Seca has no more power or torque than a Boss 302. The Mustang Boss 302 is like a Mustang GT turned up to 11. In Australia, the FPV Boss 335 is like a Ford Falcon XR8 turned up to 11. The Laguna Seca & R-spec models go up to 12.

#7 ·
If I'm understanding the correctly, they've supercharged the 5.0, but are only getting about 450hp? In the Boss its putting out 444hp? Color me confused.
No need to be confused. It's heavily under-rated.

Yes, the flywheel number is 335kW. At the rear wheels, though, the very least a stock Boss 335 GT has been measured to be was 312rwkw that I know of and that happened to be a very stubborn dyno. Most are about 325rwkw. Some are as high as, wait for it, 335rwkw. The highest has been 351rwkw. (I love that number). Same car was taken to another workshop where it measured 332rwkw.

With an aftermarket tune they jump to 395rwkw. Yes, that's a cool 530rwhp. Our dynos are said to measure about 18% driveline loss, a lot more than what you're used to in the US, so, with a tune, which costs around $1500 here, you've got at least 650hp at the fly. I've driven one and by the time I looked down at the speedo after planting it I was over the speed limit. Three fold.

Unofficially the standard 335 is said to be 375kW, or 500hp at the fly. That's without intercooling, and with very little boost (6psi).

Now get down to your Ford dealer and tell him to nag his head off to Ford US and tell them to get there acts together and import the Falcon to the US. Enough noise will get their attention. Stage a rally if you have to, get all your mates, your kids, there mates, and their parents. Everyone, start a racket!

Here's a link to some pics you'll appreciate.
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2012/8/...-Car-Ever-Made-in-Australia-7710240/pictures/

And here are some fresh pics from Ford Australia's showroom.

Go, what are you waiting for, start hounding your local dealer! Come OOONN! You Can Do iiiit!!! :)

#8 ·

Go, what are you waiting for, start hounding your local dealer! Come OOONN! You Can Do iiiit!!! :)
• HOLY MOLY! look at that view!! ...ok both of them: the car AND the shoreline overlook
• the dealers (in the US) don't work for Ford
• imho (the) Ford (Brand) (in the US) doesn't DESERVE the Falcon

** alternate universe Poll

#9 ·
Haha, well somehow Ford US need to be told you all want this. The 2014 Falcon will get a decent upgrade and I'm hoping LHD will be included in that upgrade. Do you like the frontal treatment of the new Fusion, and the current Ford Territory? :)

Don't mind what badge you want on it just get it there! Seriously more noise at your end needs to be made.

#13 ·
1) Haha, well somehow Ford US need to be told you all want this.
2) The 2014 Falcon will get a decent upgrade and I'm hoping LHD will be included in that upgrade.
3) Do you like the frontal treatment of the new Fusion, and the current Ford Territory? :)
1) We can, but they would be more stubborn than the people at GM (with some of us telling GM we want a Holden Ute).
2) Upgrade, great; LHD, not going to happen. Ford AU didn't finish engineering the chassis for LHD.
3) I do, but it looks just like an Aston Martin. Not to mention, that look will get old quickly.

#14 ·
If they/you don't want it then so be it - let GM and Chrysler dominate that segment.

It'll cost AU$80m if they want LHD (not a bad investment if Ford US want to leverage what is the last RWD sedan in their portfolio). However Ford Au don't really need it if their targets for export are RHD-only countries - they will suffice in keeping Falcon going. Nothing's been said about export, anyway, not officially, however Territory has just landed in Thailand, and if that goes well they may send out some Ecoboost Falcon's in '14. Hopefully.

I personally don't like how they've gone down that route but it comes down to execution of design. The Territory doesn't look too bad and neither does the Fusion. The point is the Falcon will get similar treatment. The Territory, despite having the same glasshouse from 2004, isn't a bad effort with the new face and back-end, so I think FG's contemporary design will be even more suited to that design language. Word is (from those who've seen it) it looks great. You won't need it, you have the Taurus, which is a great vehicle.

#15 ·
...The Territory doesn't look too bad and neither does the Fusion. The point is the Falcon will get similar treatment. The Territory, despite having the same glasshouse from 2004, isn't a bad effort with the new face and back-end, so I think FG's contemporary design will be even more suited to that design language. Word is (from those who've seen it) it looks great...
if I understand this^
perhaps posting my semi-old chop of a Falcon with the TerryTree's graphics is appropriate?

#17 ·
If they/you don't want it then so be it - let GM and Chrysler dominate that segment.

It'll cost AU$80m if they want LHD (not a bad investment if Ford US want to leverage what is the last RWD sedan in their portfolio). However Ford Au don't really need it if their targets for export are RHD-only countries - they will suffice in keeping Falcon going. Nothing's been said about export, anyway, not officially, however Territory has just landed in Thailand, and if that goes well they may send out some Ecoboost Falcon's in '14. Hopefully.
If Ford figured that they could export & sell enough LHD Falcons to cover that $80M AUD, I'd love to have the opportunity to buy one. I mean, Holden will begin exporting Commodore to the US. With the EB 4-cylinder, they might be able to get back some of the business that they lost when they ended Crown Vic production. A Falcon with the EB 3.5 V6 could be another potent combo. People seem to like that engine in the much heavier F150.

#18 ·
That's what we're all hoping for - we know its up to the job and deserves that chance.

The FG isn't engineered to take the 3.5; the current 4.0's plant and many employees' entitlements will be costlier if they were to shut it down. Also, and I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, the turbocharged 4.0 is an absolute powerhouse - the 3.5 would need to be turned up many notches to come close. The Turbo six Falcons are as quick as the blown 5.0 FPVs despite their lower "ratings".

#19 ·
...the current 4.0's plant and many employees' entitlements will be costlier if they were to shut it down. Also, and I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, the turbocharged 4.0 is an absolute powerhouse - the 3.5 would need to be turned up many notches to come close. The Turbo six Falcons are as quick as the blown 5.0 FPVs despite their lower "ratings".
perhaps my biggest disappointment powertrain-wise is
that Fomoco didn't have its 'act' together sooner - like around the beginning of the millenium

it'd have been so amazing to have had the Barra straight-6-turbo in the Lincoln LS**
FOLLOWED
by a Falcon-based successor ... with or withOUT the MKS
+
a Barra-powered LincStang

(had this fantasy of a Lincoln sport model with a different hood(bonnet) for each engine...
...naturally the straight-6's would have been this long, Classic, center dome-bulge, with scooped-out surroundings emphasizing the fenders(wings) - something like a "royal-Cobra"
)
((** the "ordinary" LS's would of course have been a "Mercury XR6 & XR8"))

edit/oops/almost forgot
TY re the quickie chop, Falc'man

I'm always overjoyed if someone from Australia likes something I think/say/do re: the vehicles they live with - &but I know only from pix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.