Windows8 to 'drive' nextgen MyFordTouch? - DailyTech.com
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windows8 to 'drive' nextgen MyFordTouch? - DailyTech.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 841 Posts
    Blog Entries

Windows8 to 'drive' nextgen MyFordTouch? - DailyTech.com

Sources Say Ford to Use Windows 8, Metro UI - Windows 8 "Customer Preview" Coming in June - DailyTech.com
    Jason Mick (Blog) - April 24, 2012 11:01 AM

. . . Our sources close to Ford Motor Comp. (F) recently indicated that a Windows 8 variant will likely drive the next generation successor to MyFord Touch.

This is an interesting, but not altogether unexpected development. Microsoft has long produced the OS used by Ford -- Windows Embedded Automotive, and the latest version (v7), was built on a trimmed down version of Windows 7.

But the information is also interesting because of the highlighted implications for Ford, and the industry in general.

Windows 8 in many ways represents a solution to many of Ford's headaches. While Ford is undeniably the leader in automotive infotainment with the most features and the most cohesive user interface, it also has suffered from growing pains. As the feature set grew, Ford has been compelled to contract out user interface development to third-party partners at times, and has found those partners to not always produce work of the same high quality as Ford's.

The perfect example of where third-party software burned Ford is the early versions of MyFord Touch which suffered speed and stability issues, issues reportedly (according to my past sources) largely attributable to third party code. The issues were finally addressed when Ford essentially redid its partner's work, revamping the OS and committing to a costly internal rewrite.

The answer to Ford's frustration is Windows 8. The Metro UI is seemingly a perfect fit for a next generation Ford infotainment system. In terms of current products, it will be kind of like Windows Phone on your car. With its built-in XAML/C# (and possibly Silverlight although Microsoft is shifting towards HTML5) APIs, Microsoft has taken a lot of the grunt work out of UI graphics/coding/design and multi-touch support for Ford.

If you want to imagine a next generation Ford OS simply think of a Windows 8 tablet or Windows Phone embedded in the dash with MyFord Touch-like menu options and a customized Metro UI tile-based interface.

For all the Windows 8 skepticism Ford sounds like it is solidly in the believers camp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Windows8 to 'drive' nextgen MyFordTouch? - DailyTech.com

I was hoping that MFT 2.0 would use Metro.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
    I was hoping that MFT 2.0 would use Metro.
    OS Lion............
    Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    OS Lion............
    If it did the price would skyrocket. I'd rather they use a windows based system to keep the cost down, this includes repairs, you would need certified MAC tech which are far more rare than a Windows or Microsoft tech. But saying that a Linux based system would be cheapest but you would need techs who know Linux.
    Current Car: 2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    Previous Cars
    1994 Ford Econoline 150 Centaurus LTD Conversion Van Red and White 351 V8 4 Speed Automatic
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    If it did the price would skyrocket. I'd rather they use a windows based system to keep the cost down, this includes repairs, you would need certified MAC tech which are far more rare than a Windows or Microsoft tech. But saying that a Linux based system would be cheapest but you would need techs who know Linux.
    Coming from a matter of quality, Mac is still the best. Repairs would be less often. Seeing Apple's income last quarter, I think customers would be willing to pay a bigger premium for it.
    Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    Coming from a matter of quality, Mac is still the best. Repairs would be less often. Seeing Apple's income last quarter, I think customers would be willing to pay a bigger premium for it.
    Less often? Highly doubtful. Take it from someone in I.T. I work for UnitedHealth in their I.T. department. There's a reason why Windows and Microsoft still rule in large areas such as corporations. We tried phasing our laptops for our on site nurses and gave them all ipads. It was disaster. They constantly broke and the repairs were outrageous. We ended up switching back to windows based laptops for them. You can be happy to use your mac for home use and swear up and down how superior it is to any windows machine. But when it comes to business Windows is still number one.
    Current Car: 2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    Previous Cars
    1994 Ford Econoline 150 Centaurus LTD Conversion Van Red and White 351 V8 4 Speed Automatic
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Ford Ka
    Thanks

We're gonna see the blue screen in the ford now. gr8.

(hey wabbit
    aka hiwaystar - kaboom - Hammond,
    I removed the spammy flash script you hid in your post.
    I *like* your taste in usernames...mostly - Hammond is lame
    & you seem to actually know cars
    but we don't DO spammers.
    So clean up or bye-bye)
    Last edited by 2b2; 07-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Ford Sport Ka
    Thanks

oyyyy OS lion!

10. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.