alternate REALities: shoulda/woulda/coulda
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: alternate REALities: shoulda/woulda/coulda

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries

alternate REALities: shoulda/woulda/coulda

I've been building an alternate reality lineup going back to the turn of the millenium...
    ...& needed a new thread for the chops (& to get ready for THE RETURN, aka Mercury: Mission 2020)
    tho hope anyone who has a favorite Brand that didn't get a vehicle or ten that it 'shoulda' will join in.

The 'first' two are the 1st & 2nd gen Milans. THIS time built on the Mazda6 in AAI-FlatRock.
    (This also assumes that SOMEbody slapped some sense into Mazda and prevented the plus-sizing that imho, has directly led to Mazda having to pull out of manufacturing the Mz6 in the U.S. - - so these would both be just a bit smaller than the Fusion/MKZ)

2006 Milan

front drawn on, rear pasted on

2009 Milan

changes all drawn

both chops actually started with the respective global 5-door hatch Mz6 models
    AND, given my druthers, the Milans would have been "dual-back" hatches something like the Skoda Superb, but with a simpler mechanism: a full hatch that has a separate trunklid built INTO the hatch. The '09 would also have had a slight touch of "tunnel-back" style to its hatch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2b2; 11-21-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: added an old chop attachment I forgot

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: alternate REALities: shoulda/woulda/coulda

alternate reality Lincoln-Mercury history
    (ref: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-lineup-11126/)

all ^that was written months ago
    sorry I had to post it as pix - too hard to get columns to line up otherwise (ex: the 2013 'new Z' missed a tab)
    Last edited by 2b2; 11-07-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks

Not sure if this is off the subject but would Mercury be around today if Mercury merged with Merkur (using Merkur name) and picked up where the Merkur left off with a full line centered around the Euro theme to distance itself from being a fancy Ford?

Thanks

Probably not, the problem with Merkur was the price and an unknown name. They were too expensive.
    Current Car: 2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    Previous Cars
    1994 Ford Econoline 150 Centaurus LTD Conversion Van Red and White 351 V8 4 Speed Automatic
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TurboS40 View Post
    Not sure if this is off the subject but would Mercury be around today if Mercury merged with Merkur (using Merkur name) and picked up where the Merkur left off with a full line centered around the Euro theme to distance itself from being a fancy Ford?
    nothing of a What-If nature is offTopic in THIS thread, TurboS40
    &
    I wasn't paying much attention during Merkur's time but
    much of my vision for Mercury is that it be 'international' in design theme
    note: the "is", present tense, not past

Ford Mondeo
    Thanks

If Mercury was alive....

Comet = Wagon and coupe versions of the Focus. Unique grill/hood + unique lights front and back
    Meteor = 5-door and wagon versions of Modeo. Unique grill/hood + unique lights front and back
    Current MKS(which would no longer be a Lincoln) Mercury badges, grill, lights.
    Miner = Kuga with Mercury badges, grill, lights.(Ford would have unique tophat, similar to Explorer)
    Mountanier =Mercury styled Explorer.

Lincoln
    Zephyr (MKZ sedan as planned)
    Continental = RWD (opt AWD) large sedan. (Long wheelbased option with bespokedness)
    Mark V = RWD (opt AWD) large coupe.
    Aviator = CUV based on Escape, but on longer wheelbase.
    Apex = RWD based 4x4 Mid-sized SUV based of new Ford Bronco
    Navigator= Stretched and widened RWD based 4x4 SUV based of new Ford Bronco
    The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Welcome to nEverland, Logan
    question: what platform would your Conti & Mark V be on?
    &
    interesting Suv/Cuv assortment for Lincoln - what platform is the Bronco that 2 are based on?
    &
    rather like the "Apex" name
    & Oh!
    is "Miner" a typo for Mariner or intentional?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was going over my above timeline today & getting totally confused on how the general idea could be applied currently (not really the point of this thread but hey...) or to a much briefer shoulda/woulda,
    when N.R.'s post in Mission:Lincoln came to my rescue
    Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    Well, I personally would've kept Mercury and killed Lincoln in favor of the Continental brand.
    Mercury should replace the current Lincoln...
    so
    sometime after Mr. Mulally came onboard (Fall 2006) wanting to eliminate everything but the Ford Brand;
    Lincoln would have been reduced to the Navigator & TownCar (later/asap replaced by a stretched MKS...it's planned-at-one-time big brother, codename: E386 (imho = "TouringCar" (INSTEAD of building the MKT AT ALL)...tho using it's side-styling)...until RWD was ready (est. 2014-5)
    and
    everything else would've been Mercs:
    MKX = Monterey
    MKS = Marquis** (no 'Grand')
    the Z & Milan would have just been combined
    & the MKuGa would ALREADY be the Mariner
    and
    I would've gotten my Focus-based CORTINA (ne 'Milanetto', for FiN oldtimers)

O.M.G., ^that^ was so simple!

** still think copcars deserve to be Mercs so include the Mercury Interceptor
    which
    raises the question of the Explorer...&...I don't mind if Merc skipped that (keeping a soupon of Small Merc Theorem)...MUCH rather have the S-Max as the 'MetaSpace'
    Last edited by 2b2; 11-09-2012 at 09:09 PM.

FIN Moderator
    Thanks

Shuttering Lincoln in favor of Continental would've been very logical.

1.)They wouldn't be developing a brand with a tarnished and inconsistent luxury brand name.
    2.)They could work with a clean sheet.(start off with a flagship and then work down= brand image!)
    3.)They wouldn't have to worry about deadbeat dealerships(hell, they could be corporate owned=an amazing experience).

If they had shuttered Lincoln in favor of Continental, it would take a while to launch the Continental brand because they would have to develop a large RWD platform for the flagship. IMO, I would name the flagship sedan the Mark I and the coupe the Mark II. Maybe. This flagship would compete with the world's finest(Bentley and Rolls).

When building a luxury brand, it's very important to start off with a flagship or a halo to build a brand image. Therefore, start off at the top and work down.

This would've have been the most logical thing to do, imo. It's not easy to rebuild a brand with decades of crappy product.

IMO, Lincoln wasn't nice from the get-go. If you look at Lincoln's history, they had same identity issues back when Ford bought them. The Continental made the brand famous.

We'll see if Lincoln's revitalization is successful or not. If not, this should be plan B.

FIN Moderator
    Thanks

Here's a scenario for you guys about luxury.

What if Prada started lowering themselves and started selling their items in Penney's for a cheaper price and cheaper quality in trade for more sales? They do that for ten years and then decide to go back to selling high end items again. Do you guys think that they will gain high end clientele back after they destroyed themselves for ten years?

This is exactly what Lincoln and Cadillac has done to themselves. It's hard to gain back that high end clientele when for ten years that brand has been selling crap. Luxury buyers look to buy from companies that have a consistent luxury heritage. That's what Cadillac and Lincoln are missing. They're going to have a hell of a time regaining that luxury image. Generation Y is the future of all luxury car buying. They remember that their grandparents drove those cars. They remember that they were airport taxis. They remember how crappy those brands were!

This is exactly why I think killing Lincoln in favor of the Continental brand would've been the most logical thing to do.

CONSISTENCY MATTERS!!!!
    Last edited by nruggiero; 11-15-2012 at 12:03 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.