GM-volt.com founder trading Volt for Ford C-MAX Energi
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News – General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM-volt.com founder trading Volt for Ford C-MAX Energi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

GM-volt.com founder trading Volt for Ford C-MAX Energi

Why I’m Trading in My Chevy Volt for a Ford C-MAX Energi - InsideEVs.com
    11 hours ago by Lyle Dennis

A fifth seat.

Those three words are really the only reason.

I absolutely love and adore my Chevy Volt. I take pride in the role I played encouraging GM to produce the car and in helping to build public support.

I have had the honor of owning the eighth unit off the production line since December of 2010. So far I have driven the car 14,000 miles with a lifetime 190 mpg. It has been a fun high tech and dependable car. In fact I always imagined I would own the car for 20 or 30 years. That is until this summer.

I am married with three young children now 6,10, and 13 years old. When I first bought the Volt our second car was a gas-powered three row SUV.

My wife became enamored with driving electric as well, and so when our SUV lease ended, she decided to get a Nissan LEAF. The LEAF is an ideal car for her. She drives a large number of miles, about 1500-1800 per month mostly on short 20 or so mile back and forth drives often shuttling the kids around. In an SUV this needlessly burns a large volume of gas and requires frequent expensive trips to the gas station.

Since we only occasionally take long family drives, we figured we would rent a car for those trips.

In the summer we had a planned booked beach vacation, about 250 miles from home. We reserved a rental car and when we went to pick it up the day of our trip, there was an error and no cars were available. No other rental agencies were open that Sunday either. We had no choice but to pack five of us into the Volt, and my wife and I took turns sitting with our daughter on our lap in one of the back seats. It was awfully uncomfortable and technically dangerous.

The problem is, as great as the Volt is, it only has four seats.

The initial Volt concept car had a normal rear bench. Personally I was surprised and disappointed when it was unveiled that the T-shaped battery pack would run through the center of the car cutting the rear bench into only two seats.

Fortunately, we have now arrived at a time, when more and more choice is becoming available among plugin cars.

Next month Ford is launching the sale of its newest plugin hybrid, the C-MAX Energi. The vehicle is a small wagon or crossover design and has a 7.5 kwh lithium battery pack mounted below and behind the seats. It offers a real world EV-only driving range of at least 20 miles (down from the Volt’s roughly 36 miles). However in hybrid mode, the Ford delivers an impressive 47 mpg combined city/highway mileage, way up from the Volt’s 37 mpg. The car is also reasonably priced at $33,745 before a $3750 tax rebate.

The C-MAX Energi might not be as aesthetic as the Volt nor as symbolic, but it is a very practical design for a family of my size. Furthermore since my daily commute is only 6 miles round trip (it used to be 60 when I bought the Volt) I will still rarely use any gas.

I am grateful to GM for launching the plugin revolution, and I have enjoyed my two years of Volt driving. Change however is an inevitable fact of life.

After all the Volt’s greenlighting GM CEO Rick Wagoner is long gone, vehicle line executive Frank Weber is at BMW, vehicle line director Tony Posawatz is CEO of Fisker, and Volt spokesperson Rob Peterson is gone from the Volt team. And so it is that the Volts number one fan, and founder of GM-Volt.com has no choice but to trade in his car.

Stay tuned here as I report my C-MAX Energi delivery, which I hope will be one of the first in the nation.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

FIN Moderator
    Thanks

Re: GM-volt.com founder trading in his Chevy Volt for a Ford C-MAX Energi

Smart man!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: GM-volt.com founder trading Volt for Ford C-MAX Energi

more...
    Did This Guy Just Kill the Chevy Volt? - WallSt.CheatSheet
    By Dan Ritter
    October 09, 2012

Dr. Lyle Dennis, who founded GM-Volt.com and was perhaps the single most influential fan of the Chevy Volt, is switching to a Ford C-Max Energi. Dr. Dennis earned a spot on GM’s Volt Consumer Advisory board in part thanks to his advocacy and the fact that he put together a buyer list of 54,632 people in 97 countries that helped convince General Motors that the Volt was viable.

After just 14,000 miles — at 190 lifetime miles per gallon — Dr. Dennis cites the fact that the Volt only has 4 seats, whereas the C-Max Energi has 5. With a wife and three kids, the Volt is just not realistic for his family — an underwhelming reason to switch for such a strong advocate, and losing a vocal supporter could hurt GM...

...The Volt sold more plug-ins than any other maker in the U.S. in September 2012, but saw close to the least amount of sales growth. GM sold 2,851 Volts, up only 0.7 percent from September 2011. Toyota’s Prius PHV came in at number two, selling 1,652 units, up 57.8 percent from last month. This is the first year the PHV has been on the market.

The Nissan Leaf sold 984 units, up 43.6 percent from last month, but declining on the year by 4.67 percent. The newest kid on the block is Tesla with its Model S, which sold an estimated 150 units. Overall, there were 5,809 plug-in electric cars sold in the U.S. in September, a 231.2 percent increase from last year, mostly thanks to Volt.

In a blog post on GM-Volt.com covering Dr. Dennis’ transition, he is quoted as saying: “I am grateful to GM for launching the plug-in revolution, and I have enjoyed my two years of Volt driving. Change however is an inevitable fact of life.” He continues to mention that several key players who pushed for the Volt have since left GM, in some cases for competitors like Fisker.

To satisfy the curiosity: The Volt gets roughly 37 combined mpg, while the C-Max Energi gets 47. The Volt gets a real world EV-only driving range of 36 miles, the Energi gets 20. The Volt has a base price tag of $39,995, the Energi clocks in at $33,745.

Ford Ka
    Thanks

What's ironic is that the Leaf wasn't even an option to take on his trip and yet he didn't seem to give a thought to launching it instead. The Volt and Cmax Energi would have made the better pair to have for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supermoto View Post
    What's ironic is that the Leaf wasn't even an option to take on his trip and yet he didn't seem to give a thought to launching it instead. The Volt and Cmax Energi would have made the better pair to have for me.
    The Leaf is the wife's car, trust me - telling the wife what she's going to drive is not the easiest or smartest move.

You could also argue, having both vehicles that holds 5, (the size of their family) in many situations, could prove very advantageous, say the Leaf is a bit down on charge, and they all need to go somewhere, now they can use his car, and her car will be ready for her travels in the near future.

Ford Ka
    Thanks

Neither the Volt or the Cmax have the wait for a charge dilemma that the Leaf has. It was totally inadequate for his vacation, not just inconvenient like the Volt. Even a Prius is a more logical solution than a Leaf.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.