Ford Inside News banner

"Drives Itself", Lincoln MKZ lane keeping system - autos.yahoocom

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
#3 ·
& slightly belatedly...
Are You Ready For a Self-Driving Car? - Autosavant
By Chris Haak on January 4, 2013 in Editorials

At next week’s International CES in Las Vegas (where our own Kevin Gordon will be on-site), both Toyota and Audi will show their concepts for self-driving, or autonomous cars. Some states (Nevada, California, and Florida) have approved autonomous cars on public roads, and many observers see them as welcome, or necessary, or inevitable. But are you ready for them?

Autonomous cars have come a long way over the past few years. About eight years ago, in 2004, at DARPA’s first Grand Challenge in California’s Mojave desert, autonomous cars had to navigate a 150-mile route in order to claim a $1 million USD prize. The most successful vehicle in that year’s challenge traveled just 7.4 miles of the 150 mile target, or reaching less than five percent of its goal. To be fair, the Grand Challenge was off-road, which introduces a host of new challenges (but also removes others that a car driving in traffic, or on public roads, has to deal with)...

...Presumably, a highway full of self-driving cars (fortified with C2C or car-to-car communication) would remove many of the idiots who unfortunately reside behind the wheel, and would allow more uniform traffic flow and closer following distances, which might alleviate at least some congestion. Highway safety (and therefore fatalities) could also improve.

I’m fine with some implementations of autonomous cars, but I’m not even close to being ready to take the driver out of the car. To paraphrase from Charlton Heston, you’ll completely take away my steering wheel from my cold, dead hands. (Too bad there’s no second amendment protecting the right to steer for yourself!)

MORE...

#6 ·
Our 2013 Explorer has the lane keeping assist. I have tested it a couple of times by letting go of the steering wheel to see what would happen. It does an okay job keeping the car on track. It is interesting watching it slowly wander back and forth keeping the car in the lane. After a brief period, the car starts chiming and telling you to put your hands back on the wheel. It doesn't take too much of a curve in the road to get it off track and before you know it, you are crossing the lines and the steering wheel is vibrating like crazy from the alert system. At the end of the day, I don't use this feature anymore. I find it of limited use. Honestly, if you need help keeping your car in your lane, you shouldn't be behind the wheel! LOL. Now the active cruise control is an awesome feature, and one that I use whenever I can, though it is ultimately limited in its use in Houston traffic.

Watching the video, it looks like the software of the MKZ might be a little more aggressive in turning the wheel to keep the car on the road. Interesting...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.