Tags
bill personal
10K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Mercury & Buick Fan 
#1 ·
For Bill Ford, Lincoln is personal
Automotive News
January 16, 2013
by Bradford Wernle

DETROIT -- For most members of the Ford Motor Co. management team, the resurrection of the Lincoln brand is a critical component of Ford's strategy to be a complete global car company and a sound business plan.

For Bill Ford, executive chairman of the company, Lincoln is much more personal.

That's why the scion of Detroit's most famous automotive family was the first person to take the stage this week when Ford publicly introduced the Lincoln MKC Concept at the Detroit auto show.

"My grandfather, Edsel Ford, and my great-grandfather, Henry Ford, were both at the table when the Lincoln Motor Co. became part of Ford in 1922. From that moment on, Lincoln was passionately embraced by my family," Bill Ford said.

Full article at link.

See less See more
#2 ·
A pledge

...Bill Ford took the stage at Detroit's Cobo Center with a pledge: "Each and every member of the Ford family and the Ford management team is committed to this enterprise because Lincoln is a vital part of who we are.

"Lincoln will be a luxury brand that customers that will be proud to own, with vehicles that are characterized with stunning design and delivered with purity and simplicity. Lincoln will deliver quality in every aspect from the vehicle to the vehicle ownership experience and a surprising level of customer service," he said.

Ford executives have conveyed this message before. But it makes all the difference in the world when the message is delivered by the guy whose name is on the building.
I got teary-eyed reading this
Uncle Bill

#4 ·
It's great that he feels that way and I'm glad to hear he does but what I don't understand is why Mr. Bill and the rest of the Ford family didn't feel this same way about Mercury considering Mercury was created by the great Edsel Ford. Just my opinion though.

#5 ·
It's great that he feels that way and I'm glad to hear he does but what I don't understand is why Mr. Bill and the rest of the Ford family didn't feel this same way about Mercury considering Mercury was created by the great Edsel Ford. Just my opinion though.
I sympathize with you & I could be wrong since I've never met Bill Ford in person or even virtually
but
I believe Mercury being on hiatus distresses him ...in a different way than the PAIN the situation causes you or I probably
(& I don't play upmanship with pain);
However,
imho it would do no good for ANYone/ANYthing at this point in time for him to address ANYthing about Mercury publicly
and he knows that.

You & I can of course rant all we want (have you seen Mission:MERCURY yet?)
&
I've completed a new version for "Mercury2020:theRETURN"
tho imho it's a bit too early to post ... but I'd be happy to PM you a copy if you like, Mercury & Buick Fan
(naturally it might not be to your taste)

#6 ·
I know you love Mercury more than Lincoln and don't get me wrong I loved Mercury too, my first car was a Mercury Sable but you have to think about this:
1. They had Lincoln longer, they bought Lincoln in revenge sort of from Leyland
2. Lincoln was Edsel's baby, so was Mercury but Mercury was really more to fill the gap between everyman's car and the STAR of the Ford Motor Company
3. Creating something out of thin air just to fill a void does not have the same effect as buying something especially something you bought such a long time ago that has some serious value to it (at the time Lincoln was right up there with the big dogs)

#7 ·
^ &
4. Lincolns cost more
5. Lincoln was merely easier to "sell" to the other Powers That Be ....... especially since few-if-any people in FoMoCo understood EITHER of them, #4 was something they could 'hang their hat' on
and which was easier to 'show' as not fighting with the OneFord theory for the Ford Brand &
6. Lincoln actually has fewer & more simplistic ICONS in their lineup history - so fewer "toes" to get stepped on (TownCar, Mark, & Conti are way more "Dummies Guide to Luxury" than the Cougar(s)
let alone LeadSleds, Montego, Sable, Capri, Marauder, Mariner, Mountaineer, GRAND MARQUIS, 'Broughams', Park Lanes, Sun Valley, Turnpike Cruiser, Monterey, Meteors, MESSENGER, Lynx, Bobcat, Comet, Topaz, even Monarch & Tracer...
...intentionally omitting a few)

ps here's the link: Mission:MERCURY!

#8 ·
Too bad Bill Ford didn't take the Mercury personal! Lincoln is out of my price range. I hope Lincoln makes it. Mercury for the most part always looked better than some Ford models. I still hope to buy a used Mercury Milan if I can find one with low miles. I see few Lincolns on the road here. I don't see how the Lincoln dealer make any money outside of selling used cars. I bet they miss Mercury. I'm going to the auto show next week and I hope to see the new Lincolns there. I just like looking at them. Ford for a long time never promoted Mercury properly. It was Ford that took Mercury down, not the buyers.

#9 ·
And everyone understands that................... but noone more than Ford itself.

That was part of the restructure. Admit your failings (which wescoent has said Ford blatently did), and come up with a plan to fix them. The thing is, you have to go back to basics to fix what is so wrong, and there is only so much money. While Lincoln doesn't make huge money, they have always been profitable (per wescoent). Thus, you let them soldier on while you fix what is terribly broken with Ford.............. which is where all of the real money is made.

You don't want the distraction of Mercury.

Maybe at some point in the future, Mercury could come into play again. However, Ford had to get Ford right, and then Lincoln, first.

#12 ·
LMAO......Mercury

Don't know why people still beg for it to come back.
No offense intended, All-Or-Nothing, but
Did you ever hear the stories of Goldilocks & Cinderella growing up?

If you did & think they have nothing to do with Mercury then you just don't 'get' Mercury.

For those who do 'get' Mercury, it's the World's Most Perfect Brand.

For the future, I suggest you treat Mercury fans like Mustang fans;
if their favorite is not something you care about, just respect that others ARE passionate about Mercury.

#14 ·
maybe, in the future, when Ford brand and Lincoln brand both bring enough profits, Ford Motor will consider give us some Mercury "special badged" Fords with upmarket equipment
Interesting idea if it will be like those special edition Mustangs, not sure though how they'd price it since if you give a Titanium trim Ford more upmarket equipment, you'll be creeping into Lincoln territory.

As a stand alone brand, Mercury (which was primarily marketed in North America & US territories) probably won't fit in Ford's global One Ford portfolio. The "Titanium" trim also made the gap between Ford and Lincoln (which they plan to introduce in new markets) smaller.

PS: You know what, that idea of special "Mercury" badged Fords, reminds me of Kevin Morgan Designs's Trans Am conversion kit for the new Camaro. Closest thing to having a new model from the defunct Pontiac brand.

#15 ·
...As a stand alone brand, Mercury (which was primarily marketed in North America & US territories) probably won't fit in Ford's global One Ford portfolio. The "Titanium" trim also made the gap between Ford and Lincoln (which they plan to introduce in new markets) smaller...
yet
there are global/rest-of-the-world models that could be used for a *Fun* side to Lincoln as born-again Mercs; smaller & sportier which Lincoln doesn't have the established-cachet to do without risking their developing Luxury image (LINK: CLA)...
Focus & Focus-Coupe? maybe RS?
production Evos?
"sportbacks" ranging from the S-Max down to the Chinese* EcoSport?

* gets a slightly longer wheelbase

#16 ·
You know I could really be rude about that comment but that's just not the kind of guy I am. And I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So i'll say this. Yes I'm gonna continue to beg Ford for Mercury to make a comeback although I know that will probably not happen but in my opinion Mercury was/IS a great brand that deserves respect. Mercury has an amazing story and history and anyone who doesn't know or can't see that needs to study up on their American Car Heritage and History. I think Mercury enthusiast's should be treated with the same respect Ford, Lincoln, Mustang or any other car brand fan should be treated just because you are not as passionate about a certain brand or model as some people doesn't mean you should mock or put them down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.