Buick dusting off Grand National, GNX and T-Type nameplates
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buick dusting off Grand National, GNX and T-Type nameplates

FIN Moderator
    Thanks

Buick dusting off Grand National, GNX and T-Type nameplates

By Zach Bowman
    Posted Nov 26th 2012 6:33PM

Inside Line reports Buick is planning to bring back some of the more storied names from the company's past, including the Grand National, GNX and the T-Type. Those cars rose to prominence in the 1970s and '80s to become performance legends of their day.

The new models will reportedly make use of the rear-wheel drive platform that currently underpins the Cadillac ATS and all would arrive as sedans – according to an unnamed source familiar with the initiative. Odds are the T-Type and the Grand National would share a driveline, with honest money being on a new twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6 as the engine of choice. Word has it the mill will be good for anywhere from 350 to 400 horsepower.

That leaves only the GNX. Inside Line seems to think that machine could get down the road with some help from the all-new GM LT1 small-block V8. The engineers behind the ATS platform have already told us the engine bay is large enough for to accommodate the big eight pot, and since GM is most certainly working on an ATS-V, a slightly less powerful, less luxurious Buick iteration makes some kind of sense. We can't wait to see these things in the light of day.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/26/b...pe-nameplates/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Ford Kuga
    Thanks

Re: Buick dusting off Grand National, GNX and T-Type nameplates

IMO this would be evidence of GM losing the plot once again. With Caddy's V series and Chevy's SS models they will once again competing with themselves in many cases for the same sales once you include Buick in the middle. I really think when you look at global auto companies they mostly consist of a main stream brand and an upmarket brand, VW/Audi, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura. GM is going to be trying to split hairs to define specific, unique markets for each brand. There is overlap to some degree with all the companies listed, yet if you add a third in the middle the overlap becomes overwhelming.

I would rather have Ford competing with a lower end to mid line Lincoln then have a third line in the middle. My reason is that having a Ford with upmarket appeal adds to the entire Ford line. Ford cars today are seen as refined, quality vehicles. Now in GM's case Chevy continues to carry the cheap image, rather then affordable like Ford, huge difference. For GM to lift Chevy's image to refined would encroach onto Buick's territory. I just don't see any advantage to having the three separate, yet still similar lines anymore.
    Last edited by SP1966; 11-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.

FIN Moderator
    Thanks

^It would be worse if Pontiac was still alive.

If these cars replace the Regal, the Opel Insignia could make its way here. GM needs to make every single brand they own unique so that they could go global.

Buick needs to be positioned like it was in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

imho this is GREAT NEWS
    a v8 Buick?!? ...to put pressure on FLincMoCo!!!!!

Edmunds says: Just when we think GM has settled back into stupid mode Reuss and the gang get smart...

forget "Brands" they're just "nameplates" now
    and can be morphed into anything with talented marketing & careful product planning...
    ...largely being unafraid to "reach higher" with their top 'nameplate'!
    while not having your ego bruised by letting your bottom nameplate be as CHEAP as possible!!

ps
    Chevy needs a new MONZA (4cyl only! & CHEAP)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OTOH...
    according to PREMiERdrum wherever he is

"Grossly exaggerated reporting by InsideLine.

Several program additions to Alpha were "Blue Sky'd" and considered when Alpha's costs ballooned out of control towards the end of development. Right now, none of these have been greenlit.

A heritage name is set be used on a version of Regal, and a proposed Insignia/Regal-based coupe is set to wear the Riviera badge.

Everything in the Buick pipeline right now is FWD/AWD."

FIN Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    OTOH...
    according to PREMiERdrum wherever he is
    "Grossly exaggerated reporting by InsideLine.

Several program additions to Alpha were "Blue Sky'd" and considered when Alpha's costs ballooned out of control towards the end of development. Right now, none of these have been greenlit.

A heritage name is set be used on a version of Regal, and a proposed Insignia/Regal-based coupe is set to wear the Riviera badge.

Everything in the Buick pipeline right now is FWD/AWD."
    Ugh, I don't know what to believe anymore.

Ford Kuga
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    Ugh, I don't know what to believe anymore.
    Believe they made the right choice!

Thanks

I have a hard time believing that Buick is going to get these nameplates back. I thought I saw an interview where they said they wouldn't bring the GNX or Grand National names back for a long?
    Current Car: 2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    Previous Cars
    1994 Ford Econoline 150 Centaurus LTD Conversion Van Red and White 351 V8 4 Speed Automatic
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Ford Mondeo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    I would rather have Ford competing with a lower end to mid line Lincoln then have a third line in the middle. My reason is that having a Ford with upmarket appeal adds to the entire Ford line. Ford cars today are seen as refined, quality vehicles. Now in GM's case Chevy continues to carry the cheap image, rather then affordable like Ford, huge difference. For GM to lift Chevy's image to refined would encroach onto Buick's territory. I just don't see any advantage to having the three separate, yet still similar lines anymore.
    Right now, it seems that the Ford brand has usurped the Mercury slot. It is offering attractive and refined vehicles that can demand a higher price than the bottom rung. It is showing in their profits per vehicle, and the sales of their higher line packages.
    This should allow Lincoln to go upscale and expand. It just seems to be taking a long time.

I think GM needs the three brands for now. The Caddy brand is entrenched, and making progress.
    Chevy is still a bit behind Ford on most fronts, so Buick can offer a premium priced vehicle until Chevy catches up. Maybe in ten years, Buick will not be needed, but for now, it serves a good purpose. If the time comes for Buick to depart, it would be smart for GM to transition some names, styles, and features to Chevy.
    The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Ford Kuga
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
    Right now, it seems that the Ford brand has usurped the Mercury slot. It is offering attractive and refined vehicles that can demand a higher price than the bottom rung. It is showing in their profits per vehicle, and the sales of their higher line packages.
    Agreed, back when the Big 3 controlled 80+% of the market all those brands made sense, but not any longer.

This should allow Lincoln to go upscale and expand. It just seems to be taking a long time.
    I don't like saying this, and nobody will like reading this, but I believe Lincoln see's the market coming to them rather then the other way around. Kind of like when the MKS was originally a concept and Ford was polling people as to whether they would prefer a V8 or a 400hp twin turbo V6. They were right for the majority of the market, smaller boosted engines are the future as we're seeing more and more with the competition. I have a bad feeling they see the market also moving to smaller front/all wheel drive vehicles going forward and have placed their bet there. I'm still holding out hope, but its fading fast.

I think GM needs the three brands for now. The Caddy brand is entrenched, and making progress.
    Chevy is still a bit behind Ford on most fronts, so Buick can offer a premium priced vehicle until Chevy catches up. Maybe in ten years, Buick will not be needed, but for now, it serves a good purpose. If the time comes for Buick to depart, it would be smart for GM to transition some names, styles, and features to Chevy.
    I'm not saying that GM cannot make the three brand strategy work, but I think they have to ensure that Buick has a unique place in that lineup. Caddy and Chevy can get away with using the same/similar platforms and keeping them differentiated enough to not step on each others toes. If they try to keep doing the same with Buick then eventually Chevy will eat them alive from below and Caddy from above. Caddy has to compete on the lower end of the luxury spectrum just as the German and Asian brand's do. Chevy will need to compete also at that lower end just as its competition does, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda all have cars that are nipping at the heels of entry level luxury.

As a Ford guy I'm happy to see them focused on two core brands! Absolutely nothing good can come from stretching development dollars to try to make one platform unique enough to justify three brands. Focus on making the two the best they can be in their perspective markets, so far Ford has done this very well, Lincoln not so much.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.