2012 Ford Focus: Smarter Ambient Lighting.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News – General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 Ford Focus: Smarter Ambient Lighting.

Thanks

2012 Ford Focus: Smarter Ambient Lighting.

ALL-NEW FORD FOCUS BRINGS SMARTER AMBIENT LIGHTING, ADDING HELPFUL INNOVATIONS
    Ford Press Release

• All-new 2012 Ford Focus takes ambient lighting to a new level of customer convenience, adding helpful features that illuminate, assist or warn a driver
    • Focus ambient lighting functionality enables unique features to make a driver’s life easier, such as search light to locate misplaced items and door ajar warning
    • Focus ambient lighting is switchable between seven interior accent colors, adding color to instrument panel, cupholders and footwells

DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 24, 2010 – The all-new 2012 Ford Focus marks the arrival of the next generation of ambient lighting. Switchable between seven vibrant colors, ambient lighting has always enabled a driver to set the mood inside a Ford vehicle. Now ambient lighting can make a driver’s life easier, too.

“When LED illumination combines with ambient lighting technology inside a car, it enables clever features that make life easier for the driver,” said Christopher Eardley, Ford interior lighting engineer. “Ambient lighting can change interior accent color, but it can also add functionality that keeps a driver smiling.”

A recent study by a prominent lighting research journal found that a driver’s visual senses could be improved through the use of interior light. Respondents said interior design and finishesappear more attractive, controls were easier to use, and overall they felt safer.

“Interior ambient lighting has transcended ‘looking cool’ and is poised to deliver additional customer value in the all-new Focus,” said Eardley.

Search light
    Ever misplaced a small item in the footwells or in the storage pocket of a car door, at night? It has happened to Eardley and his teammates working in Ford’s interior environment group. This momentary inconvenience was the inspiration for the ambient lighting “search light” functionality.

Flip a switch on the instrument panel of the all-new 2012 Ford Focus and all of the ambient lighting points – doors, footwells and cupholders – are bathed in bright white light to help a driver find misplaced items inside the car.

Door ajar
    If the driver of a 2012 Ford Focus swings the door of the parked car open into a travel lane, approaching motorists, pedestrians and cyclists would be warned of an open door by the red illumination of the door’s ambient lighting.

In addition to serving as a warning signal to other traffic of an open Focus door, it notifies vehicle occupants of a door being improperly latched, or ajar.

Welcome and departure lighting
    Collaboration between Ford interior light engineering and driving environment teams has resulted in the welcome and farewell lighting illumination now featuring a two-stage sequence, from instrument panel to dome lighting, enhancing the customer entrance and exit experience.

Play protection
    Engaging “play protection” through the ambient lighting switch ensures that children inside the vehicle will be unable to operate the dome light. This also helps to ensure that the interior lighting won’t be inadvertently left on.

An enthusiastic lighting and illumination professional, Eardley has spent nine years working in the automotive interior lighting industry, the last two with Ford. He is based at Ford’s Merkenich Technical Centre near Cologne, Germany.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Ford Focus
    Thanks

Re: 2012 Ford Focus: Smarter Ambient Lighting.

All that little stuff adds up and Ford is not leaving too many stones unturned. Sometimes the little differences could be the difference between a sale or no sale to a customer.

Thanks

This is not new at all

my 99 Sable had a switch i could toggle to turn on interior lights, I even went as far to add the missing lights in the glove box, foot wells, and courtesy lights on the doors from a 96 since they deleted them in the 99 for cost cutting.

My 04 LS has all of that minus the lights on the doors (has them on the exterior mirrors)

Both cars have a door ajar warning.

the LS has theater dimming lights and no dome lights, only map lights all around the interior, 2 for driver and front passenger and 2 in the rear for reading lights
    Current Car: 2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    Previous Cars
    1994 Ford Econoline 150 Centaurus LTD Conversion Van Red and White 351 V8 4 Speed Automatic
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Thanks
    Blog Entries

imho the importance is that they're putting features back IN (& improving them) rather than 'beancountering' things OUT
    which has been the case for a long long time - I remember when doors had lightS in them; shining in the footwells then the ground when opened & another pointing directly back from the FRAME to let oncoming drivers see the door
    but
    the 2nd is cool knew direction (the old system ^^ was better for safety imho)
    Door ajar
    If the driver of a 2012 Ford Focus swings the door of the parked car open into a travel lane, approaching motorists, pedestrians and cyclists would be warned of an open door by the red illumination of the door’s ambient lighting.

In addition to serving as a warning signal to other traffic of an open Focus door, it notifies vehicle occupants of a door being improperly latched, or ajar.
    where the THING that isn't working or adjusted properly ITSELF turns glowing red

even tho it doesn't sound adjustable/customize-able YET (want my fully selectable computerized driver/car interface!)
    it does advance the driver/car 'communication'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    imho the importance is that they're putting features back IN (& improving them) rather than 'beancountering' things OUT
    which has been the case for a long long time - I remember when doors had lightS in them; shining in the footwells then the ground when opened & another pointing directly back from the FRAME to let oncoming drivers see the door
    but
    the 2nd is cool knew direction (the old system ^^ was better for safety imho)
    Door ajar

where the THING that isn't working or adjusted properly ITSELF turns glowing red

even tho it doesn't sound adjustable/customize-able YET (want my fully selectable computerized driver/car interface!)
    it does advance the driver/car 'communication'
    Yes it is very good they are adding it back in for sure.

Hell I was pissed my Sable didn't have a glove box light!!!

Thank god my LS has all of those tho ;)
    Current Car: 2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    Previous Cars
    1994 Ford Econoline 150 Centaurus LTD Conversion Van Red and White 351 V8 4 Speed Automatic
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Thanks

2012 Focus Features "Smart" Ambient Lighting

2012 Focus Features "Smart" Ambient Lighting
    The next generation ambient lighting debuts.
    www.FordInsideNews.com
    November 28, 2010
    By: Nick Saporito

It seems as if every vehicle feature at Ford Motor Company has a next generation variant these days and their own ambient lighting system is among the revised. The all-new 2012 Focus takes Ford's ambient lighting to the next level by adding new, useful functions.

“When LED illumination combines with ambient lighting technology inside a car, it enables clever features that make life easier for the driver,” said Christopher Eardley, Ford interior lighting engineer. “Ambient lighting can change interior accent color, but it can also add functionality that keeps a driver smiling.”

Ford claims that a recent lighting study that a driver’s visual senses could be improved through the use of interior light.

Search light

Ever misplaced a small item in the footwells or in the storage pocket of a car door, at night? It has happened to Eardley and his teammates working in Ford’s interior environment group. This momentary inconvenience was the inspiration for the ambient lighting “search light” functionality.

Flip a switch on the instrument panel of the all-new 2012 Ford Focus and all of the ambient lighting points – doors, footwells and cupholders – are bathed in bright white light to help a driver find misplaced items inside the car.

Door ajar

Welcome and departure lighting

Collaboration between Ford interior light engineering and driving environment teams has resulted in the welcome and farewell lighting illumination now featuring a two-stage sequence, from instrument panel to dome lighting, enhancing the customer entrance and exit experience.

Play protection

Engaging “play protection” through the ambient lighting switch ensures that children inside the vehicle will be unable to operate the dome light. This also helps to ensure that the interior lighting won’t be inadvertently left on.
    An enthusiastic lighting and illumination professional, Eardley has spent nine years working in the automotive interior lighting industry, the last two with Ford. He is based at Ford’s Merkenich Technical Centre near Cologne, Germany.

Thanks

Re: 2012 Focus Features "Smart" Ambient Lighting

Cool!

Now my 2011 MKX's ambient lighting seems 'dumb' by comparison ;) And here I thought it was clever that the ambient lighting turns to bright white when the doors are opened.

Thanks

Re: 2012 Focus Features "Smart" Ambient Lighting

Repost my friend.

Ford Ka
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3Mach1 View Post
    All that little stuff adds up and Ford is not leaving too many stones unturned. Sometimes the little differences could be led bulb the difference between a sale or no sale to a customer.
    Ford always try to add value to its car with little modification and this is another step towards good interior look
    Last edited by Andrewmiller; 01-21-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Focus RS WRC
    Thanks

But didn't Ford USA delete the LED map/dome/interior interior lighting in the 2013 Focus? Actually I think Ford deleted this feature on the Job 2 MY2012 Focus, as I remember some Job 2 owners complaining they did not have LED map/dome/reading lighting
    I could be wrong but I believe the new Fusion interior does not have LED map/dome/reading lighting, also not sure if LED map/dome/reading lighting made into C-Max or new Escape.
    Last edited by MKII; 01-23-2013 at 02:50 AM.
    2007 Ford Focus Ghia 1.6 TI-VCT SW Panther Black 5spd MT

12. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.