Lincoln Tenatively Planning Rear-Drive Coupe
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Tenatively Planning Rear-Drive Coupe

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Lincoln Tenatively Planning Rear-Drive Coupe

Hopefully Follows Wave of New Product
    FordInsideNews
    December 19, 2012
    By: Austin Rutherford

The Lincoln Mark X Concept, the last vehicle to share the Mark Series name

Over the past two years, Lincoln has been working on a plan to restart the brand. Among these efforts came the renaming the marque back to the Lincoln Motor Company, adding its own design and engineering team, and own advertising plan. All throughout this, the media and automotive fans alike have been calling for one thing in particular: a rear-wheel drive car. Speculation surrounding a rear-drive Lincoln has spurred recently, and FIN has been told one such reason is because a Mustang-based coupe is now in the card's for Ford's luxury brand.

There is one thing to keep clear. This is less set in stone then most products under development in the Ford umbrella for Lincoln has been given a last chance in the 2013 MkZ and/or 2014 MkD (if they end up calling the compact CUV that name). If one or both of these products fail on the marketplace, the mothership could pull the plug on the company Henry bought for revenge.

If all goes according to plan with successful launches of those two essential products, the Mustang-based coupe will commence in late 2015. As always with future product talk, the actual date of introduction will likely vary due to development. Assuming things stay relatively close, we expect this car to be a 2016 or 2017 model.

This Lincoln will most likely launch after the all-new MkS, Navigator, MkX and near the launch of a Explorer platform based Lincoln depending, again, on development speeds.

Though not too many specifics are known at this stage of development, FIN has learned the rear-drive Lincoln should have a member of the Nano engine family, most likely a 2.9-liter EcoBoost V-6. FIN expects this Lincoln to differ from the Mustang with a slightly larger wheelbase.

As of now, this Mustang-based Lincoln is only being developed as a coupe. As we have reported earlier, Lincoln is also considering a full-size rear-wheel drive flagship for later in this decade using the next-generation Mustang as a basis as well. Ford rightfully is not likely to make any significant investments developing further future products until it becomes clear that Lincoln's revival plan is working.

Though no name has been attached to the project as of yet, do to historical reasons, a Mark Series name would seem fitting. Nearly all previous Lincoln coupes sported a Mark name.
    Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ausrutherford For This Useful Post:

2b2 (12-26-2012), joseodiaga4 (12-26-2012), nruggiero (12-26-2012), ZanatWork (12-26-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Lincoln Tenatively Planning Rear-Drive Coupe

I think the MKZ will be a sales success for Lincoln even though it has received some negative press of late. I certainly hope the MKD/MKC (s/b Aviator) is different enough from Escape so that it can be a homerun for Lincoln.

Here is another article about the Lincoln coupe based on the new Mustang:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...e-planned.html

Ford Focus
    Thanks

More proof that a RWD car is on the way!

Ford Mondeo
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    There is one thing to keep clear. This is less set in stone then most products under development in the Ford umbrella for Lincoln has been given a “last chance” in the 2013 MkZ and/or 2014 “MkD” (if they end up calling the compact CUV that name). If one or both of these products fail on the marketplace, the mothership could pull the plug on the company Henry bought for revenge.

If all goes according to plan with successful launches of those two essential products, the Mustang-based coupe will commence in late 2015. As always with future product talk, the actual date of introduction will likely vary due to development. Assuming things stay relatively close, we expect this car to be a 2016 or 2017 model.
    This doesn't really give the public a warm feeling about the brand's future!

This would be like a vampire hunter telling the townfolk that they'll start using stronger garlic, and if that fails, they'll skip town. If it works, then in a few years they'll consider making some stakes and go searching for coffins.
    The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Logans Run For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (12-29-2012)

Ford Ka
    Thanks

Look Ford is..very very big mistake to think you will get customer..if you or company is doing a 'crapshot".....Ford needs to express confindence to customer.....Ford has already killed to many brands now.....think customers are going to buy Lincoln if Ford keeps saying.....we are giving Lincoln just one more chance??????....no this is not the right way to do this.....there should always be a Lincoln....refesh the products on shorter cycles.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Jackson For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (12-29-2012)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Logans Run View Post
    This doesn't really give the public a warm feeling about the brand's future!

This would be like a vampire hunter telling the townfolk that they'll start using stronger garlic, and if that fails, they'll skip town. If it works, then in a few years they'll consider making some stakes and go searching for coffins.
    Ford is pouring the right amount of money into to try and lift the brand up, but if their best effort is not enough...well they will decide to leave it.

They dont want the brand to end up like Infiniti where 15 years have gone relatively nowhere. They want a return and sales success.

Ford Mondeo
    Thanks

but if their best effort is not enough...well they will decide to leave it.
    It seems more like their 'minimalist risk' effort...and an 'at least we gave it a try' excuse. No one will believe it was Ford's best effort for Lincoln.
    The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 889 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know what you've heard-or-seen that I haven't, ausrutherford
    but not sure I agree with a number of details...

First-&-mainly, I consider a LincStang to have been all but announced for some time
    ref: LincStang: the Beginning thread
    & Highest-Volume Lux Segments thread
    (I *do* agree with your 2nd-half-2015cy timeframe)

Second, tho I could of course be wrong, I don't take seriously the talk about FoMoCo having a strict sales-threshold for killing off Lincoln - esp if that threshold isn't reached before Mr. Mulally retires = I don't believe his successor (whoever!) will be willing to "go it alone" with just the Ford Brand.
    ...maaaaybe be Nruggiero's Continental Brand, or even a Ford-Continental, could replace Lincoln; but that's mostly semantics Imho...ie keeping a Lux lineup by whatever name.

3. I really hope all those talking about a "new MKS" in the near future are wrong!
    (I hope for the 'E386', the MKS's long-hiatus'ed bigbrother to fill the hole left by the TownCar and misguided production-MKT)
    THEN
    after the new Navigator's introduction, and most likely imho After the LincStang debuts;
    an ALL-new, global-sized, 200"ovl, RWD Continental will replace the MKS.
    My main qualm is whether the current MKS will get a much-needed sheetmetal MCE before getting replaced...2017my/cy?
    ref: RWD Flagship
    Scott Tobin in the Highest-Volume thread
    But do the brand's self-imposed limitations really suggest its stewards have no interest in a halo car.
    "I don't think it says that," says Lincoln product development chief Scott Tobin.
    "The segments are fundamentally the small, and medium premium utilities, the D-segment, and the C or C-D (sedans)," he said.
    And that D-segment (Taurus-sized) car can be a full-fledged halo car, he says.
    source article

another question (for me) is when the MKX/Edge move to the new CD4.2 platform?
    (& again) IF they'll receive an MCE before that?

interesting inferences...
    Could a 2.9 Nano be RWD (mainly/only?) while a 2.7 Nano would be F-Awd?
    &
    I'm very curious about what Lincoln's SMALLEST petrol engine will be by the end of the decade - I'm thinking it needs to be 4cyl (not 3)

minor point: at a company meeting not long ago, Ford execs referred to the 'MKuga' as the "MKC"
    so imho that 'name' is all-but-announced too (darn it)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    I don't know what you've heard-or-seen that I haven't, ausrutherford
    but not sure I agree with a number of details...

First-&-mainly, I consider a LincStang to have been all but announced for some time
    ref: LincStang: the Beginning thread
    & Highest-Volume Lux Segments thread
    (I *do* agree with your 2nd-half-2015cy timeframe)

Second, tho I could of course be wrong, I don't take seriously the talk about FoMoCo having a strict sales-threshold for killing off Lincoln - esp if that threshold isn't reached before Mr. Mulally retires = I don't believe his successor (whoever!) will be willing to "go it alone" with just the Ford Brand.
    ...maaaaybe be Nruggiero's Continental Brand, or even a Ford-Continental, could replace Lincoln; but that's mostly semantics Imho...ie keeping a Lux lineup by whatever name.

3. I really hope all those talking about a "new MKS" in the near future are wrong!
    (I hope for the 'E386', the MKS's long-hiatus'ed bigbrother to fill the hole left by the TownCar and misguided production-MKT)
    THEN
    after the new Navigator's introduction, and most likely imho After the LincStang debuts;
    an ALL-new, global-sized, 200"ovl, RWD Continental will replace the MKS.
    My main qualm is whether the current MKS will get a much-needed sheetmetal MCE before getting replaced...2017my/cy?
    ref: RWD Flagship
    Scott Tobin in the Highest-Volume thread
    But do the brand's self-imposed limitations really suggest its stewards have no interest in a halo car.
    "I don't think it says that," says Lincoln product development chief Scott Tobin.
    "The segments are fundamentally the small, and medium premium utilities, the D-segment, and the C or C-D (sedans)," he said.
    And that D-segment (Taurus-sized) car can be a full-fledged halo car, he says.
    source article

another question (for me) is when the MKX/Edge move to the new CD4.2 platform?
    (& again) IF they'll receive an MCE before that?

interesting inferences...
    Could a 2.9 Nano be RWD (mainly/only?) while a 2.7 Nano would be F-Awd?
    &
    I'm very curious about what Lincoln's SMALLEST petrol engine will be by the end of the decade - I'm thinking it needs to be 4cyl (not 3)

minor point: at a company meeting not long ago, Ford execs referred to the 'MKuga' as the "MKC"
    so imho that 'name' is all-but-announced too (darn it)
    The Coupe was approved to proceed into development just a few months ago. We were sitting on this story for a couple months waiting for more info and the right time.

I'm sure their no set sales for the MkZ and MkD but there is a return expected. So sales and ATPs will be important there.

The MkS will be on CD4.3 when the all new debuts. How long that platform is? Only Ford knows yet. As mentioned a year ago, the full size flagship is still just a consideration and if approved would probably be much later in the decade.

As of now, I believe the 2.9 will only be for Lincoln while Ford will keep the 2.7 for itself from the mustang to F-150.

I'm going with "MkD" until we hear different from within the company. Fact is there still could be many names up for the vehicle but its the MkD name that was originally attached to the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 889 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Coupe was approved to proceed into development just a few months ago. We were sitting on this story for a couple months waiting for more info and the right time...
    a "few" months ago OR maybe back in JUNE? like when the LincStang: The Beginning thread started?

for the rest - guess we'll see
    the main 2 things I hope to hear about now - from ANYbody, is
    1 regarding the "large" sedan Mr. Mullay spoke about for the near future (within 2 years?)
    ...The MkS will be on CD4.3 when the all new debuts...
    the last online document I saw sets the CD4+3 Taurus as coming out Q3 2015
    ie after Mr. M's (implied) timeframe.
    That's a big part of why I'm hoping for the E386/TC-replacement to finally happen!
    &
    ...As of now, I believe the 2.9 will only be for Lincoln while Ford will keep the 2.7 for itself from the mustang to F-150...
    2 if Lincoln will get a new, possibly-exclusive engine to replace the 1.6EB 4cyl for base MKC's (and maybe Z's since a smaller gen2-3 EB should nearly equal the power of the current 2.0EB)
    I believe future Lincolns really *need* different drivetrains from their closest Ford Brand relatives...

15. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.