Windshield wiper/headlight suggestion...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windshield wiper/headlight suggestion...

Thanks

Windshield wiper/headlight suggestion...

Many states have "lights required when wipers are on" provision. Wouldn't a simple connection between the wiper switch and the headlight switch solve this? Ford has led in many safety inovations. I rember the seatbelts in the fifties.

Just a suggestion.......

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Windshield wiper/headlight suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Many states have "lights required when wipers are on" provision. Wouldn't a simple connection between the wiper switch and the headlight switch solve this? Ford has led in many safety inovations. I rember the seatbelts in the fifties.

Just a suggestion.......
    I think they have this already with the rain sensing wipers. I think my LS has it since I have the rain sensing wipers, and I know for a fact my friends Mercedes Benz has it
    Current Car: 2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    Previous Cars
    1994 Ford Econoline 150 Centaurus LTD Conversion Van Red and White 351 V8 4 Speed Automatic
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

Thanks

Rain sensing is one thing, and it's fine for turning the wipers on. But some state laws also require the headlights also to be turned on. It's that way here in Missouri.

We're in the SW Missouri Ozarks south of Springfield, and well into the hills and curves on county and local roads. At dusk, when it's raining, I often encounter oncoming cars with the wipers on but the headlights off. Sometimes coming around a blind curve on a hill can be white knuckle experience.

A wire between the wiper switch and the headlight switch would be simple and cheap solution to many "lost control" and "off the road" accidents and fatalities. Of course the multifunction switches (those thingies we used to call turn signal switches) can complicate things.

I still think it's worth looking at.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 917 Posts
    Blog Entries

^ I believe some FoMoCo vehicles have their auto-headlites tied in with the (auto?)wipers but not consistently...no idea why not - Agree that it could be good to offer that combo on even the lowliest Ford with manual HL/wipers**

** something even an anti-nannie like me would appreciate
    Last edited by 2b2; 12-29-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    ^ I believe some FoMoCo vehicles have their auto-headlites tied in with the (auto?)wipers but not consistently...no idea why not - Agree that it could be good to offer that combo on even the lowliest Ford with manual HL/wipers**

** something even an anti-nannie like me would appreciate
    Any way to pass it on to FoMoCo engineering? If we gotta have that third brake light, why can't we have this?

Thanks

My 2006 Ford Freestar's headlights come on automatically when the wipers are on for more than a couple of seconds and our 2008 Mariner we used to have did the same thing. My parent's 2010 Ford Escape does, as well. None of these vehicles has rain sensing wipers.

Ford Ka
    Thanks

Hello admin my name is SAIM.. Your are having a nice nice forum. i am a new user and i will be Actively participating.. Hope you will well come me..:)
    Sign up with Pass4sure VCAD510 for getting incredible online testking courses exam and Isaca . We also provide best University of Cambridge with guaranteed success.

Ford Mondeo
    Thanks

What I consider dangerous are the headlight settings which allow daytime running lights to be on, but do not turn on the rear lights of the vehicle. So many people are driving around oblivious that they cannot be seen from the rear when it is rainy/foggy, or semi-dark.
    The early bird gets the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.