Ford Inside News banner

After botching MKZ launch, Lincoln tries to undo the damage

18K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
After botching MKZ launch, Lincoln tries to undo the damage
Automotive News
March 25, 2013
by Bradford Wernle

Lincoln executives admit they have only one shot at reinventing their faded brand for a new generation of luxury customers. But the MKZ, the first major vehicle of a new and better Lincoln lineup, has stumbled badly out of the blocks, angering dealers, wasting a costly advertising launch and driving away customers who have waited months for undelivered cars.

After Lincoln spent more than $7.4 million to advertise the new sedan during the Super Bowl, and more for another spot during the Grammy awards, dealers had no cars because of quality problems and parts shortages at Ford Motor Co.'s Hermosillo, Mexico, plant. Dealers didn't know what to tell customers who had put down deposits because, dealers say, they received only spotty information from the factory.

In other words, the new cloak of luxury that Lincoln had promised to create -- treating customers in a way befitting a true luxury brand -- was frayed at all the edges.

Now Lincoln is hoping the bungled launch can be salvaged by ramping up advertising next month, just as the brand sorts out the factory delays and begins shipping more cars.

"These cars were originally supposed to be here in late October," says O.C. Welch, who owns O.C. Welch Ford-Lincoln in Hardeeville, S.C. "We missed the after-Thanksgiving sale, Black Friday. We missed Christmas. We missed New Year's. We missed Presidents Day. We missed Black History month, Martin Luther King Day. We missed St. Patrick's Day. And it looks like we're going to miss Easter.

"It's almost time for 2014 Job One and we haven't seen a '13."

Full article and images available at link.

See less See more
#3 ·
________^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Oh YEAH?!?!

from BON
"I received confirmation today that the Contour seats are gone for the MKZ for the 13 MY...
...I called my dealer and asked for confirmation on what I had heard. It required a deeper than usual search as all ordering information they had still showed option 66C. I don't know who he ended up calling but claimed he spoke with an engineer that gave him confirmation...

&
article said:
...In other words, the new cloak of luxury that Lincoln had promised to create -- treating customers in a way befitting a true luxury brand -- was frayed at all the edges...
actually, AND LITERALLY,
it's more like 'the emperor's new clothes' ...ie there weren't any!

#6 ·
Seems a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hands is doing, I'd say.
One Team internationally appears easier to implement then regionally.

#7 ·
Disaster. There are no other name for this situation. A big disaster: angry customers and dealers , millions in advertising lost for unavailability of the product, brand image deeply damaged, Lincoln and new potentialy new customers gone away because the delays... Is a completly mess. Lincoln will not survive...

#8 ·
The advertising push should have been delayed until enough of the MKZ's were at the dealerships.

Hopefully the relaunch will be enough to erase the initial disaster if done correctly. I would hope new ads/commercials will be planned in addition to the current to keep it fresh. You can't recycle the current commercials for the relaunch.

#9 ·
The advertising push should have been delayed until enough of the MKZ's were at the dealerships.

Hopefully the relaunch will be enough to erase the initial disaster if done correctly. I would hope new ads/commercials will be planned in addition to the current to keep it fresh. You can't recycle the current commercials for the relaunch.
if you lost the bus... you lost it. Lincoln lost the opportunity... no dissaster erase is possible here

#10 ·
if you lost the bus... you lost it. Lincoln lost the opportunity... no dissaster erase is possible here
Easy there Chicken Little, the sky is not falling, its just a little rain.

It is hard to know where Lincoln will ultimately end up, especially when with each vehicle launch by Cadillac the Lincoln lineup just continues to be unimpressive. It will be interesting to see if the FWD brigade will be able to sustain them until such time as they can offer real, competitive luxury cars. I have no issue with their CUV lineup, but with so little info on their future its hard to get excited about the cars.

#11 ·
Launches get delayed all the time. It happens. It's just that Lincoln is under such a microscope right now.

And it was quite a launch, including a hybrid. 3 engines, several transmissions.
Several? I count 2. The 6 speed automatics in the 4 and 6 and the CVT in the Hybrid

#12 ·
I'm a diehard Ford fan and I want Lincoln to succeed so badly. But, Cadillac is so far ahead it's not even funny. So is Buick, sad to say. Lincoln needs some breakout products...yesterday. The dealers must be really pissed what with their Mercury models being stripped away from them and now the first new product, much anticipated MKZ, is delayed again and again. And to be frank, I prefer almost everything about the Fusion Titanium over the MKZ although I like that the 3.7L V6 is available on the Lincoln.

#14 ·
Lincoln needs to start showing Teaser pics and spy shots and letting some info get released on future models. It's one thing to keep future products secret. It's another thing to keep the secrets so close that no one is even talking about Lincoln anymore. Give us a reason to keep Lincoln in conversations.

#15 ·
Lincoln needs to start showing Teaser pics and spy shots and letting some info get released on future models. It's one thing to keep future products secret. It's another thing to keep the secrets so close that no one is even talking about Lincoln anymore. Give us a reason to keep Lincoln in conversations.
I agree with you All-Or-Nothing......put this on lincoln fb, twitter, etc...let´s hope they take this advice :facepalm:

#16 ·
This delay is nothing that a good product can't make up for.

Add that good product with some impressive incentives coming next week, and Lincoln will be rolling again.
Yeah, some customers were angry, pissed even, and I have no doubt they won't return.
**** happens.
Lincoln can only move forward from this with an apology and hard work, and in a year or 5 or 20, nobody will recall this.

#17 ·
Why does everyone think Cadillac has such a massive lead. I see them as ahead, but not by that much.

Lets look forward about 1 year from now.

MKZ will be selling fine, with all these delays in the rearview mirror.
The MKC will be launching as will the sexy new MKX shortly after that.
The all new MKS will have been shown as will the new lighter Navigator with an impressive new D35 EcoBoost.
Several new powertrains will also have launched with new MKC, and upgrades for MKZ as well. I believe performance versions of several Lincolns will also be in the news. And there is at least one more surprise coming too.

Cadillac CTS will be selling by this time next year, but I am having a hard time determining who it will steal sales from more, the ATS or XTS. The ELR is interesting, but honestly, who is going to buy a $55K 2 seat PHEV? Not many sales can be expected. SRX pales in comparison to both MKC and new MKX, both of which I have seen.

Sure, caddy has had a head start, but honestly, I see a lot of the same thing is all, with A&S being played out to the max.

#18 ·
...Lets look forward about 1 year from now.

The all new MKS will have been shown as will the new lighter Navigator with an impressive new D35 EcoBoost.
Several new powertrains will also have launched with new MKC, and upgrades for MKZ as well. I believe performance versions of several Lincolns will also be in the news. And there is at least one more surprise coming too.

Cadillac CTS will be selling by this time next year, but I am having a hard time determining who it will steal sales from more, the ATS or XTS. The ELR is interesting, but honestly, who is going to buy a $55K 2 seat PHEV? Not many sales can be expected. SRX pales in comparison to both MKC and new MKX, both of which I have seen.

Sure, caddy has had a head start, but honestly, I see a lot of the same thing is all, with A&S being played out to the max.
THANKS for all the info, Wings!!

Why does everyone think Cadillac has such a massive lead. I see them as ahead, but not by that much...
imho
just because Cadillac has (or appears so to me) kept on a well-defined. specific direction since the first CTS came out.

and for the record,
I don't want Lincoln to publicly show ANYthing much before it goes into production
(emailing ME pix and specs will be quite sufficient
)

#19 ·
Why does everyone think Cadillac has such a massive lead. I see them as ahead, but not by that much.

Lets look forward about 1 year from now.

that´s great news...thanks wingsnut......I can´t wait to see the new models...I just hope the new models have an 8 speed transmission and a better interior, something like the new cts

#20 ·
that´s great news...thanks wingsnut......I can´t wait to see the new models...I just hope the new models have an 8 speed transmission and a better interior, something like the new cts
The new MKC concept had the first really nice interior imho. I think Lincoln needs to add a little more flair to the next MKS/MKZ. They're a little TOO restrained. I realize they're going for that "refined" luxury look but, it's too subdued for me. When the MKX mce launched, I thought they were getting there but, the interiors after that got sort of bland. I like the liberal use of contrast stitching and wood that's in the new CTS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
Cadillac CTS will be selling by this time next year, but I am having a hard time determining who it will steal sales from...

Audi...Infiniti...BMW...You know, the same one's Lincoln will try to steal sales from.

#22 ·
Audi...Infiniti...BMW...You know, the same one's Lincoln will try to steal sales from.
ATS is a fine chassis, but too tight and small and costly as an entry level luxury car, so CTS will steal sales from it. I expect few V6 premium trim sales topping $50K, when the much roomier CTS can be had for same.

And, since the CTS has grown in size, it will also step right on the toes of low-ball XTS buyers too.

Currently ATS sales are less than 3K per month, and XTS sales are about same.
If CTS launched today, I would expect total sales between all 3 models to total about 7K, with CTS taking the lions share. So it will certainly will take away as it adds.

#23 ·
ATS is a fine chassis, but too tight and small and costly as an entry level luxury car, so CTS will steal sales from it. I expect few V6 premium trim sales topping $50K, when the much roomier CTS can be had for same.

And, since the CTS has grown in size, it will also step right on the toes of low-ball XTS buyers too.

Currently ATS sales are less than 3K per month, and XTS sales are about same.
If CTS launched today, I would expect total sales between all 3 models to total about 7K, with CTS taking the lions share. So it will certainly will take away as it adds.
But this is the proper way to cycle multiple products. It is simialr to how Apple does it with Ipads Mini-Ipads, etc.

The ATS was introduced as a new segment for Caddy, and yes it did take some CTS sales, but it prevented those sales from going to another company. It also captured new sales to the brand. The XTS also took some sales, as the ones who first bought CTS are now a decade older, and looking for something softer. Again, it prevented some buyers from jumping ship, and attracted new buyers as well. Now with the new CTS, you will see some ATS buyers move up to it, but ATS is just getting known to people, and more conquest sales will make up for that. I think Caddy is commited to improve it and offer more models as years pass. CTS will increase the conquest sales from other makes. XTS may see a small decline, now that CTS is larger and suitable for most people, but the XTS is really just a placeholder until the new RWD model is introduced.
Think of it like the Goldilocks tale. You get three choices, to find the one 'just right'. If you don't offer the choices, the bear just might leave your house.

#24 ·
Much more so than Lincoln today, Cadillac exhibits a sense of urgency and a sense of focus. They have been communicating well with their target audience. Lincoln has not done any of these things nearly as well, sadly.

#26 ·
Much more so than Lincoln today, Cadillac exhibits a sense of urgency and a sense of focus. They have been communicating well with their target audience. Lincoln has not done any of these things nearly as well, sadly.
Not sure what you mean.
So you think Lincoln should telegraph their future plans sooner?
I think Lincoln should not put out a dam thing literally until they are ready to make it. keep the competition guessing right to the end. Timing on product is OK, as are concepts, but showing your hand 9 months out is not smart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.