Ford Inside News banner

Mission2020: The RETURN of MERCURY!

113K views 223 replies 33 participants last post by  glyphics 
#1 · (Edited)
posting in the Mercury Section instead of the Design Center since I don't anticipate doing believable 2020 chops in the near future
Mission2020: The RETURN of MERCURY!

as a boutique Brand of small(er) Luxury vehicles that imho the Lincoln name cannot effectively offer,
fulfilling the Small Mercs Theorem as the *FUN* side of Lincoln:

* not positive about metaSport since it's relatively larger than "small" ... altho there's a possible RANGER tie-in
** all 'saloons' (& possibly coupe-hatches) have a dual-back structure: a hatch with a separate inset trunklid (see Skoda Superb)

• Ideally all Mercury models are about the width of the next size category up in Ford vehicles...like the MKC Concept is significantly wider than the Escape.
• All drivetrains for Lincoln-Mercury vehicles will be electrically assisted to various degrees
initially: 1.0EB3, 1.5EB3*, & 2.0EB4 (all gen2) as "M"(pg) light-hybrids (44-66kW);
and "R" sporty models, with approx. 22-44 kW depending on size & role.
Micro & microSport = 160hp,.------225hp
Micro & -----------& 230-250hp,..280-300hp
for the rest
* see revised drivetrains' graphic below... NO! see newer,RErevised GRAPHIC HERE

followed by
"H", full-hybrid versions utilizing Atkinson-mode + more electrics...
(small models have less battery space & support lower total HP even with same petrol engine. see Cortina/miniSport & Milan/metaSport, or C3/Milan)

And
a couple high-performance models adding the 2.3EB4*("R23") and 2.7EB6**("XR") but with less electrification (batteries &or capacitors), just enough for anti-slip & 'JATO'
-------C3--------------- 325hp*
-------C5---------------.400hp**

** wonder if the C5-XR could be RWD (+ front electrics)?
actually, if FLincMoCo does the CD4+rwd for the Continental, imho they could be capable of Rwd'ing JUST the XR - related chassis afterall. Then again... maybe the 2.0EB "R" with 290hp ought to be RWD too? ...plus
Would it be good/remarkable to offer a RWD "H" hybrid even though it only has 220hp?
Could the C5 be called (dare I say it...) "COUGAR"?
Would it make a difference if all C5's are RWD?
And
should the C3 be called "Capri" whether C5 gets a Name or not? ...btw, 325hp IS a lot for the basically FWD Capri but some of that is rear-wheel electrics & thinking they could be programmed to help control torque-steering.

revised drivetrains:

note:
Malibu Eco has ~20hp(15kW) electrics, 2007 Mariner/Escape had 22hp,
C-Max/Fusion/MKZ Hybrids have 118hp(88kW), Volt has 149hp(111kW)
&
a new type of hybrid electric add-on from the University of Tennessee
REVISED mission statement:
to exploit pricepoints, segments, and demographics less-consistent with Lincoln's goals & heritage

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
link provided by autodriver during a PM convo

How to succeed by adding brands - Automotive News
VW, Chrysler strategies counter those of rivals

Nick Bunkley
February 25, 2013

Volkswagen Group, bent on becoming the world's largest automaker, has amassed an expansive collection of brands to help put that goal within reach. — Chrysler Group keeps adding logos to its dealers' showrooms -- Ram, Fiat, SRT and soon Alfa Romeo.

Their moves contrast with those of other automakers, which have killed many struggling brands in recent years... ...But the VW and Chrysler strategies helped produce some of last year's biggest U.S. sales gains: 30 percent for VW and 21 percent for Chrysler, compared with 13 percent for the overall industry.

VW now finds itself on the verge of passing General Motors to rank second in global sales. Chrysler's approach has contributed to 34 consecutive months of year-over-year sales gains in the United States.

The tighter the focus of individual brands, "the better the results," said Steven Wolf, dealer principal at Helfman Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep-Ram in Houston...

Fewer brands, less share
GM and Ford said they needed fewer brands to focus better on their core businesses. But streamlining has cost them market share.

Ford sold Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin, then shut Mercury, leaving only the namesake blue-oval brand and Lincoln, which has struggled to regain attention from luxury-car buyers. The Ford brand was the top-selling U.S. brand last year, accounting for 97 percent of the company's total volume...

Ford's U.S. share with two brands in 2012 was 15.5 percent, compared with 15.8 percent in 2007, when it had seven brands. Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar and Aston Martin, the former members of Ford's Premier Automotive Group, combined for nearly 1 percent of the market last year.

Meanwhile, GM's share dropped to 17.9 percent in 2012, from 23.7 percent in 2007, when it had twice as many brands. None of GM's four remaining U.S. brands -- Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC -- has increased share since 2007, though their remaining dealers are selling more vehicles on average today...

...Chrysler has lost share as well, dropping from 12.9 percent in 2007 to 11.4 percent last year, but its sales have been growing more rapidly since the recession. Meanwhile, VW's U.S. share more than doubled, from 2 percent to 4.2 percent...

...many automakers are being tempted to exploit the growing North American market by adding models and competing in more segments.

"Every time an automaker says, 'This is who we want to target with a brand,' it never seems to quite work out that way," Jessica Caldwell, senior analyst with Edmunds.com, said...

...Doug Murtha, vice president of Scion, said the brand is "not about volume" but rather to give Toyota an opportunity to "mess around a little bit, do some new things, without jeopardizing Camry, Corolla and RAV4 sales."...

More...

#30 ·
more re: ^SuperSegment^ ...sorta,
but definitely supports (imho) Mercury's Return!!!

quoting mgescuro @ GMI again

...The belief is that the luxury market is bifurcated (or bifurcating). You have "luxury" and "near-luxury." The belief is that "near-luxury" is experiencing higher growth than "luxury." So you have Buick, Lincoln, Acura, Infiniti, Hyundai operating in this segment. Then you have the "luxury" market, with MB, BMW, Audi, JLR, Lexus, and other niche players like Porsche and Maserati.

MB, BMW, and Audi want a piece of the growth portion of the "near-luxury" sector. With their big names and brand recognition and define privileges of ownership, they can offer much more than the near-luxury competitors. And they can offer the step-up to their other luxurious cars. THe flip side of that is the potential danger of extending too low to corrupt their brand name. Personally, I believe the most in danger is BMW, as they have built their brand on performance not luxury per se. FWD adversely affects performance, no matter what you do to counter it. Mercedes counter measures is to enhance and augment their true luxury lineup. And Audi, is the one that started it all anyways. Their prices are generally lower to begin with, so their brand has already built-in that acceptance factor...​

#31 ·
Ford's Titanium models in effect replaced the latest Mercury line, which was widely considered just dolled up Fords. Too bad. The Fords are great but like GM has Buick and Cadillac above Chevy, Ford could still have Mercury and Lincoln to step up from. For the Next Gen Mercury, I'd have a FWD/AWD compact sedan (based on the Focus), a FWD/AWD midsize sedan, coupe, CUV, and convertible (based on the Fusion), and a FWD/AWD fullsize sedan and CUV (based on the LWB Flex). The Lincoln Division would have a midsize RWD sedan, coupe, and convertible (based on the Mustang), a midsize FWD/AWD CUV (based on the SWB Explorer), RWD fullsize sedan, and a fullsize RWD/4WD SUV (based on the next F150). If the market calls for it, many would have hybrid models. The three divisions would share no body panels among siblings. The Fords would have NA engines with Ecoboost ones optional (1.6L, 2.0L, 3.5L). Mercury would have larger engines such as the 2.3L and 2.7L Ecoboost engines optional. Ecoboost engines would be standard across the board on Lincolns tuned for greater performance than any in the Ford or Mercury to indicate clearly that the Lincolns are unique and worth the premium price.

#32 ·
^
&TY, T'Cal
I transcribed your models to ease my cognition

T'Cal-ish Next Gen Mercury**
Micro =
microSport =

Capri = 3door-coupe

Cortina = FWD/AWD compact sedan (based on the Focus)
miniSport = Cuv

Milan = FWD/AWD midsize sedan,
Cougar = coupe, and convertible (based on the Fusion)
MetaSport = CUV

CD4+3 Marquis?? (beyond the SuperSegment)

Lincoln Division (aka N.R.'s Continental Division)
LincStangs = C+size RWD sedan, coupe, and convertible (based on the Mustang)
Aviator = midsize FWD/AWD CUV (based on the SWB Explorer)
Continental = RWD fullsize sedan
Navigator = BIGsize RWD/4WD SUV (based on the next F150)

then what I interpret as the
starving to death part of Lincoln Motor Company
LTC & MKT = FWD/AWD XLsize sedan and CUV (based on the LWB Flex)
imho MKT needs to be replaced asap by bracketing its slot with the new Navi and a new Aviator

Wonder what you have to say about the **blanks**(as I see them)...
...or any of the rest??

&
a special shoutout/crossreference to the Fiesta-ST thread
it's so close to my Micro-R ... 'cept mine gets the nextgen 1.6EB2

#33 ·
BTW, I love and miss the name Aviator. The MKT should've be called that although the MKT should've been the Flex with a Lincoln nose and tail on it. I am so disappointed in the MKT and not just in styling. The third row seat of the Flex and my '11 Explorer has gobs more headroom because the hatch opening on the Fords is almost vertical and the frame is above the cargo area, while the Lincoln's hatch opening angles so far forward that its frame robs headroom. It's claustrophobic in back of the Lincoln, which should never be the case for a luxury vehicle of that overall size.

#34 ·
Millennials poised to redefine the auto market - NBC
Paul A. Eisenstein , NBC News contributor
March 30ish

...Millennials are becoming “the new face” of American auto buyers, asserted Jim Farley, Ford Motor Co.’s global sales and marketing chief, during his keynote speech at the auto show. “And we’ll be surprised,” he added, “by what they choose.”...

...“Don’t think we have the millennials figured out," Ford senior marketing executive Amy Marentec recently said, but she added that domestic automakers are beginning to show signs of “cracking the code.”...

...Which brand millennials turn to is also up in the air. Auto data-tracking service Edmunds.com finds that Japanese makers have steadily lost ground with millennials at the expense of Detroit and Korean makers – a sharp reversal of the trend when baby boomers were first entering the new car market...

...The market data suggest that younger buyers are generally more interested in green technology than their parents’ generation, something that could drive demand for hybrids, plug-ins and battery vehicles. On the other hand, the higher cost for such technologies is so far restricting sales.

Millennials are downsizing, several executives said. That’s one of the reasons why Audi has such big hopes for the next-generation A3 sedan it showed reporters during a sneak peek in New York. It will become “the third leg” for the brand, said Audi of America chief Scott Keogh, and should drive other makers to rethink the future of their bigger products...

...The new generation has “an incredible taste for luxury,” echoed Ford’s Farley, adding that millennials now expect to get more for less, no longer expecting that they have to pay a substantial premium for high-line brands. “And as the price of luxury cars drops,” he said, “don’t be surprised if they make luxury cars their first (new vehicle) purchase.”

For the industry, delivering on those expectations could be challenging. It could strain resources in the short-term, but those brands which can meet the demand could come to dominate the new generation much as marques like Toyota, Nissan and Honda were the favorites of the boomers.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
and
'This thing is really hot': Millennials eye station wagons - NBC
Paul A. Eisenstein , The Detroit Bureau
March 29ish

SportBacks illustration NOT part of article:

primarily, just a size comparo^

#35 ·
with some misgivings...

""T"" could reposition ""S"" as entry-luxury brand - Leftlane
By Nat Shirley
Monday, Apr 1st

Unwilling to move its flagship ""L"" brand downmarket, ""T"" is considering repositioning ""S"" to compete with new entry-luxury offerings from Mercedes and Audi...

...in the pricing arena to be occupied by upcoming entry-luxury sedans like the Mercedes CLA-Class and Audi A3...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

too hard to continue changing the ^names^ to protect the guilty & distasteful
but want to point out a Brand originally based on "fun" in small sizes
that might segue into a small Lux Brand...presumably with a dose of Fun;
ending up 'utterly divergent' from my Mercury's mission.
&
thus staunchly defending the 'prestige' of the upper Brand by, "What is certain is that ""L"" won’t be offering a sub-$30,000 vehicle anytime soon"
to which I'd add, "regardless of size or lack there of"
ie
even if Lincoln wanted to offer Focus or Fiesta sized cars, it wouldN'T/couldN'T lower itself to an under $30k pricepoint
and more than half of my 2020 era Mercs ARE under or very close to that number...

...so just another article indicating to me that Mission2020 is ahead of the curve

and that the # of Brands curving might be growing :toetap:

#36 ·
with some misgivings...

""T"" could reposition ""S"" as entry-luxury brand - Leftlane
By Nat Shirley
Monday, Apr 1st

Unwilling to move its flagship ""L"" brand downmarket, ""T"" is considering repositioning ""S"" to compete with new entry-luxury offerings from Mercedes and Audi...
Too late..."L" is already down market from Mercedes and Audi. The dowdy ES, the terrible L-Prius, the laughable new Hybrid, the wannabe IS, and the GX 4-runner are all down market. "L" had their run, and now they are dropping the ball. "S" was cool at first, but the updated models were granny cars. "S" will not be cool again. It can't follow the trend of cars in Japan, as they are going the wrong direction for the US market.

#37 ·
^ finished euphemizing it for you, Logan :)
but
the point of posting that wasn't "L" (the OTHER L-Brand)
just wanted to point out their (reported) thinking of a Small-Lux Brand as a solution
to go along with the Millennial articles
&
drawing from "S's" 'history' of attracting a lot of older buyers too...
...what was called by "zete" on GMI, "one huge cohort: the Boomers are politicians and the Millennials as advisors and the ground troops"

BIG PS
if anyone is registered at FordSocial
please click and Like ^^^^^

#38 ·
MissionJUMPSTART: The RETURN of MERCURY!

Love how Mercury ideas just sorta happen (Link)...

instead of old-versions of Ford models to "infiltrate" China
Jumpstart the Lincoln-Mercury occupation with:

this could get the Mercury part of Lincoln-Mercury on sale within 12 months
instead of waiting for either Lincoln's 2015 China-debut
OR the 2018-LAIAS re-intro of *new* Mercurys

#39 ·
What Ford has done is eliminate the Mercury Brand, and create the Titanium trim level of Ford vehicles as a replacement.

Just like Chevy vs Buick models, there is a $2k to $8K price difference between the Ford SE version and the Titanium version.

This makes Ford much more profitable, since no retooling or design/engineering work has to be paid for to create a new model/maintain another brand, just upgraded to the current model. Which is working out very well, as the Titanium model is a big seller, and pulls from E-Class and C-Class models.

Also, with Ford moving to a Global lineup, along with launching Lincoln as the premium luxury brand world wide, it's a cleaner marketing platform to work from. Ford or Lincoln. Although in China, there is a new Ford sub-brand that may go to emerging markets.

Just look at the expense GM has to undertake to create and market Chevy and GM trucks to compete with the Ford trucks.

#40 ·
^hmmm...
let me ask if you disagree with these points/ideas specifically, bloggin

•...small(er) Luxury vehicles that imho the Lincoln name cannot effectively offer,
fulfilling the Small Mercs Theorem as the *FUN* side of Lincoln...

•...All drivetrains for Lincoln-Mercury vehicles will be electrically assisted to various degrees...

•...After each vehicle's basic specifications were created,
*while* the descriptions were being written;
the existing global vehicles that are not offered in N.A. just started "falling" into the waiting slots...
...Many of these models we may never otherwise get in N.A.
No matter how often "forum-favorite" variants are ranted for:
Models too small, sporty or 'casually adventurous' for Lincoln.
With an Oval badge they'd over-crowd the Ford lineup anyway...

otoh
if you're just trying to "disillusion" me
TY but don't bother,
this thread is about HOW could Merc come back;
for IF?, Why? &or Should? see Mission:Mercury or maybe the Heresy/Riddle thread

#41 ·
related?...
Spied: BMW's upcoming front-drive, seven-passenger MPV - Leftlane
By Drew Johnson
Thursday, May 23rd, 2013

...BMW has shown a front-drive MPV before in the form of the Concept Active Tourer, but some design cues suggest this is a different model altogether... ...The rear overhang also looks much larger on the prototype...
(the Concept was actually a bit shorter than the Mazda5)

(which reminds me a LOT of the original 2006 Subaru Tribeca
= 108.2" wlb, 189.8" ovl
)

...wonder if the metaSport could be a tad shorter?
but there's no way I'd try to make the miniSport seat 6-7**

** speaking of the definitely-2-row miniSport,
here's a new quickie chop experiment/escapriment

960x510

edit: added 110v outlets to 2nd post features

#42 ·
I say let Lincoln continue in its current direction of offering softer premium products based on FoMoCo's FWD platforms.

I would relaunch Mercury as a small sportier premium division with 2 products based on the next gen Mustang platform:
XR-4: Compact premium sport sedan.
XR-7: Midsize premium sport sedan. The Mercury XR-7 would sit on a stretched version of the next gen Mustang platform. A new gen Ford Thunderbird coupe could also be developed on this version of the platform.

Of course, I'm assuming the next gen Mustang platform can be stretched to accommodate a midsize new gen Ford Thunderbird coupe and Mercury XR-7 sedan.

#43 · (Edited)
THANKS for posting that, cire_1wb!
Good to see you!
&
interestingly enough,
member, Syr74 (whose handle sounds close to yours
),
had somewhat similar Rwd ideas in the postwas53251 Riddle/Heresy thread
&
I haven't quite given up on postwas53416 my version of that either.

I'd wonder
- if 2 models would be enough tho AGREE the sports models are the place to start!
&
- about just how much size difference -from the Mustang AND a Thunderbird- would work out best...wheelbases for example:
105" = XR4
108" = Mustang
111" = XR7
114" = Tbird (I'd want difference here too)
?

&
If you feel like it tho,
What'd you think of the features/options/trims part?
which could pertain to a Rwd program as well.

#46 ·
related?...
Spied: BMW's upcoming front-drive, seven-passenger MPV - Leftlane
By Drew Johnson
Thursday, May 23rd, 2013

...BMW has shown a front-drive MPV before in the form of the Concept Active Tourer, but some design cues suggest this is a different model altogether... ...The rear overhang also looks much larger on the prototype...
(the Concept was actually a bit shorter than the Mazda5)

(which reminds me a LOT of the original 2006 Subaru Tribeca
= 108.2" wlb, 189.8" ovl
)

...wonder if the metaSport could be a tad shorter?
but there's no way I'd try to make the miniSport seat 6-7**

** speaking of the definitely-2-row miniSport,
here's a new quickie chop experiment/escapriment

960x510

edit: added 110v outlets to 2nd post features
That BMW is a heresy!!!! Is BMW looking to be the new Hyundai?????? Really need a luxury brand make a minivan????

#47 ·
Good to see you!
&
interestingly enough,
),
had somewhat similar Rwd ideas in the Riddle/Heresy thread
&
I haven't quite given up on my version of that either.

I'd wonder
- if 2 models would be enough tho AGREE the sports models are the place to start!
&
- about just how much size difference -from the Mustang AND a Thunderbird- would work out best...wheelbases for example:
105" = XR4
108" = Mustang
111" = XR7
?

&
If you feel like it tho,
I don't think there needs to be differentiation in wheelbases. I was thinking that the SWB version of the platform would be around 109 inches (for Mustang and XR-4) and the LWB version would be around 115 inches (for Thunderbird and XR-7).

I haven't really thought about features, options, or trims yet. I'll have to respond to that inquiry after I have given it some more consideration.

#49 ·
Good to see you!
&
interestingly enough,
),
had somewhat similar Rwd ideas in the Riddle/Heresy thread
&
I haven't quite given up on my version of that either.

I'd wonder
&
105" = XR4
108" = Mustang
111" = XR7
?

&
If you feel like it tho,
I would start out with the 2 sedans first and expand from there if the sedans catch on with the buying public.

FoMoCo could give Mercury compact and midsize coupes, but there would need to be something "special" about these coupes that would properly differentiate them from Ford's Mustang and Thunderbird coupes. I would give the Mercury coupes supersized glass sunroofs and maybe retractable hardtop variants. Ford's Mustang and Thunderbird wouldn't feature supersized sunroofs and would only offer softtop convertible variants. The coupes/coupe-cabrios could carry XR-5 (compact) and XR-8 (midsize) monikers (perhaps?).

I would also leave the crossovers to Lincoln and spin wagons off the sedans for Mercury. The compact wagon would be the XR-4t and the midsize wagon would be the XR-7t ("t" = "Touring"). The exterior styling of these wagons would need to be executed in a way to make wagons seem cool to U.S. buyers. They would essentially need to be drop dead gorgeous.

RWD with a LSD would be standard and AWD would be optional on all Mercury vehicles.

So Mercury could essentially grow to be a 6 product brand:
XR-4: RWD/AWD premium compact sport sedan.
XR-7: RWD/AWD premium midsize sport sedan.
XR-4t: RWD/AWD premium compact sport wagon.
XR-7t: RWD/AWD premium midsize sport wagon.
XR-5: RWD/AWD premium compact sport coupe.
XR-8: RWD/AWD premium midsize sport coupe.

#50 ·
^ too bad we don't live in the same place, cire_1wb**

I see a LOT of similarities between your lineup and mine*** ...DO YOU?
just that I added a couple B-segment cars;
tho I wonder how close the dimensions would be for the others - - if you ever feel like specifying them

and my recommendation to intro the sedans LAST

** think back'n'forth posting would drive me crazy
...er
*** glassroofs, *wagons*, (Virtual)AWD
re-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.