Ford Inside News banner

1994 Mercury Premys Concept

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Andrew L 
#1 ·
Yesterday i shared the Contour based Ford concept. Today, is its cousin! The Mystique based Premys. Enjoy!

Who doesn’t enjoy a good mystery? So imagine the surprise when Mercury unveiled the Premys in Detroit for 1994. An amalgam of”preview” and “mystique”. Turns out there was not much mystery here at all. Except for the flashy purple-people-eater paint job, and a gewgaw or two, this was the 1995 Mystique that was soon to be on sale at a Merc store shortly after...
Video: 1994 Mercury Premys Concept

See less See more
#2 ·
This concept ushered in a revolutionary design concept and for me a very welcomed departure from the dated and unloved Mercury Topaz. This was a great initial step in redefining the Mercury design philosophy but Ford allowed the Mystique to languish far too long before taking any action.

Rust In Peace Mercury... :(

#3 ·
^ imho the Mystique's main problem was FoMoCo didn't let it have enough style-differentiation from the production Contour, unlike the 2 concepts which imho had a healthy 'divergence' imho
but then (imho3) this was the era when the KillMerc faction at FoMoCo was poisoning everyone else's minds (pulling Merc out of Canada in 1999 per wiki)

soooo much better than the Contour concept

I actually shopped the Mystique. If it had looked like that concept, I prolley woulda pulled the trigger ...Oh, a different name woulda helped too ...tho not "Premys" ...which sounded as lame as its meaning which you pointed out ...woulda actually preferred if FoMoCo had gone with alphabet-soup nomenclature back then - so easy to change back to real Names...

...oh wait

#4 ·
If only the 3rd gen Sable got this front end

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.