Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln Readying Potentially Major Re-launch of MKZ

17K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Lincoln Readying Potentially Major Re-launch of MKZ
TheDetroitBureau.com
April 2, 2013
by Paul A. Eisenstein

With production of the new Lincoln MKZ finally approaching “launch levels” after a costly delay in the production of the critical new luxury sedan, parent Ford Motor Co. is studying just how extensive a re-launch will be needed to put the 2013 model back on the radar for potential buyers.

The Lincoln MKZ was supposed to serve as the foundation for the revitalization of the long-struggling luxury brand. But even as the first of the sedans began rolling into showrooms late last year, Ford decided to curb production, worrying that the MKZ could fall victim to the same snags that resulted in quality problems and recalls for other new 2013 models, such as the Ford Fusion sedan and Escape crossover.

The problem, admitted marketing chief Jim Farley, is that the carmaker went ahead with a major nationwide marketing campaign, including several costly Super Bowl spots, even without product in the showroom. That left dealers unable to serve potential buyers – some of whom are still waiting while others likely switched to competing brands.

Lincoln wants to attract new luxury buyers who are drawn by appointments like the updated MyLincolnTouch system.

“We’re studying our options” for what to do next, Farley told TheDetroitBureau.com during an interview. That could include a major re-launch of the Lincoln MKZ, a move that would add up to the tens of millions of dollars. The two spots on the Super Bowl alone reportedly cost Lincoln more than $6 million.

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#4 ·
just imho
a real, floating-on-a-cloud, XL-Luxo-boat TownCar replacement is better off WITHOUT Rwd
&
creating an in-house stretch of the soon-to-be heavily-MCE'd MKS could be easily feasible on an 8-digit budget, maybe even possible on $9,999,999 ... mainly testing costs not required of the livery-builders imho

(hopefully with an engine compartment that'd fit the 5.0v8, Awd o'course
needs a Hybrid version too! for taking celebs to the Oscars...
...ya know, if the Hybrid had a Nano-EB that could also do cylinder deactivation, maybe driver selectable for power or Mpg modes, they wouldn't need any 'medium'-or-base powerplant)
need to go add that to Mission:Lincoln...

#5 ·
Good luck Lincoln. I hope the relaunch works out. Is it going to be called the "OK...staaaarrrting NOW!" campaign :) By the way, Lincoln seriously needs a version of the ecoboost Explorer Sport. They could have a soft lux version and a sporty go fast version that could compete with the Land Rover Sport.

#6 ·
This whole launch has been a disaster. I really hope they get it right this time but how many people have been burned now?

#8 ·
Ok... Lincoln is thinking the missed opportunities will come back ??? Maybe an advertising in a new superbowl game for May or June, when the cars will be at dealers??? Or maybe the customers that wanted a new luxury car in december want to sell the brand new 2013 Lexus ES (purchased when they went to Lincoln dealers to buy the new MK Z that wasn`t there at time) and buy a new MK Z in may or june??? Is an idiot idea.... The launch failed. Fire the executives responsables of this disaster and go ahead. Make sure the next vehicle launch ( if this will occur and Lincoln will be alive in the next months) will be made correctly .

#9 ·
Good luck Lincoln. I hope the relaunch works out. Is it going to be called the "OK...staaaarrrting NOW!" campaign :) By the way, Lincoln seriously needs a version of the ecoboost Explorer Sport. They could have a soft lux version and a sporty go fast version that could compete with the Land Rover Sport.
The Ford Explorer is selling like hot cakes.... and is a no brainer option for Lincoln a version of this winner car. The result could be a good Range Rover competitor at a half price of that...

#10 ·
If the MKZ relaunch is not hit by another quality/safety recall withing the first year, I think Lincoln should be able to sell close to 4K per month by the time the '14s are coming out...a number they should have been hitting for months now.

Lincoln does need an explorer, and should have had it years ago! The MKX just doesn't have enough cargo/seating for my needs, and the Explorer Sport is excellent. If they had an explorer, the MKX could be aimed at the sportier personal luxury, while the explorer hit the family luxury hauler mark. From the MKC spy shots, it doesn't look like the proportions will match the concept...It will likely offer less cargo room than the Escape.

#11 ·
I have a new Explorer (a Limited that's a year older than yours and the same color - love it!) but I think the better move would be to give Lincoln the Flex with its longer wheelbase and greater legroom in the mid row. Lincoln should make the next Aviator CUV and Town Car Sedan out of it. It's more traditional upright styling lends itself better to Lincoln than Ford.

#12 ·
I have a new Explorer (a Limited that's a year older than yours and the same color - love it!) but I think the better move would be to give Lincoln the Flex with its longer wheelbase and greater legroom in the mid row. Lincoln should make the next Aviator CUV and Town Car Sedan out of it. It's more traditional upright styling lends itself better to Lincoln than Ford.
Linconl already has that car! Is the ( i dont know why) unloved MK T . Is the Flex with another body

#13 ·
An Explorer class luxury version would be foolish.
How many families are suffering with the luxury levels of the sales class leading Explorer, and are now seeking it in Lincoln for utility and family hauling?
My guess, few.

Besides, that is what the MKT already does, same class size. Same dang vehicle actually. Spent a week in D35 turbo MKT, and loved it. That needs little more than a real update, not just a grill.

Small utility does not need to be class leading in utility space, just cool and fun levels along with style and affordable luxury to spare.
MKC will handle that.

And on the top shelf, the new Navi will sell in great numbers, I predict, if they manage to make it lighter, more powerful stylish and fuel efficient.
Kind of the whole reason everyone ran from large SUV's, we were tired of pumping $100 every week.

I think Lincoln has the CUV/SUV market covered nicely.

Now, curious how that MKZ sells. My guess, about 5K units per month.

#14 ·
Linconl already has that car! Is the ( i dont know why) unloved MK T . Is the Flex with another body
The MKT is awkward looking and the rear hatch's angled design intrudes on the head and shoulder room of the third row. The Flex (yep, it shares the same platform and wheelbase) has much more room and comfort for the third row occupants plus more usable cargo space. And, with the right design of its nose and tail, would make an excellent Lincoln. The upright design is stately looking and would lend itself perfectly for a sedan as well.

#15 ·
The MKT is awkward looking and the rear hatch's angled design intrudes on the head and shoulder room of the third row. The Flex (yep, it shares the same platform and wheelbase) has much more room and comfort for the third row occupants plus more usable cargo space. And, with the right design of its nose and tail, would make an excellent Lincoln. The upright design is stately looking and would lend itself perfectly for a sedan as well.
Flex sedan would not look good, it would really dated. I think the MKT has an excellent interior and I think the updated grille makes it look a little better. The outside does look awkward but I actually like the rear end, I think the tail lights need some tweaking and the headlights need to go and the grille shape needs to be toned down and it would look 100% better.

#16 ·
How many families are suffering with the luxury levels of the sales class leading Explorer, and are now seeking it in Lincoln for utility and family hauling?
My guess, few.
Same could be said for the Fusion...yuor argument would make the whole Lincoln division moot
Besides, that is what the MKT already does, same class size. Same dang vehicle actually.
But it is not selling. Look at sales of Explorer vs Flex...How could you expect Lincoln to sell more cars built on the Flex than the Explorer?
MKT also has terrible third row headroom, making it useless for a family with teenagers.

#17 ·
Current ad campaigns focus on the new MKZ and MKX but shouldn't there be one for the rest of the lineup? Have a campaign either showing the whole lineup or focus on the forgotten children of the Brand as well. When was the last time anyone saw an MKT or Navigator commercial? The MKT probably has more potential than people think. Ads should show what the vehicle can do(not just having a prior successful old Lincoln morph into the new model and stop there).

The relaunch of the MKZ most likely will be successful this time because there will (we hope) be product when the ads are shown plus people usually are open to a second chance.

One other question. Why wasn't there an emergency push for the rest of the lineup being while all this MKZ quality control fiasco was going on? I'm sure a few more MKS,T & X could have offered sweet deals to keep the potential MKZ customer.

#18 ·
^ TurboS40, re: other models increasing...maybe the suppliers couldn't rampup THEIR production fast enough to make a difference? The Botch didn't last THAT long afterall.

This whole launch has been a disaster. I really hope they get it right this time but how many people have been burned now?
anyone have the pre-order number handy? Add in advertising respondents for January and that should be about it - imho for Feb, only add proto-customers of IDIOT dealers...the smarter ones knew about the problem by then and woulda been in CYA mode rather than promise-the-moon mode.

If the MKZ relaunch is not hit by another quality/safety recall withing the first year, I think Lincoln should be able to sell close to 4K per month by the time the '14s are coming out...a number they should have been hitting for months now...
imho, even if everything had gone off without a hitch, they'd only be reaching 4k-per-month now.

...Lincoln does need an explorer, and should have had it years ago!... ...If they had an explorer, the MKX could be aimed at the sportier personal luxury, while the explorer hit the family luxury hauler mark...
My guess, few.

Besides, that is what the MKT already does, same class size. Same dang vehicle actually. Spent a week in D35 turbo MKT, and loved it. That needs little more than a real update, not just a grill...

...And on the top shelf, the new Navi will sell in great numbers, I predict, if they manage to make it lighter, more powerful stylish and fuel efficient.
Kind of the whole reason everyone ran from large SUV's, we were tired of pumping $100 every week.

I think Lincoln has the CUV/SUV market covered nicely...
imho, *I* need to ponder the needs of Lincoln's bigger than X smaller than Navi customers ... IF there ARE any???

For me the X was defined by the hot MILF at the beach commercial (did I use 'MILF' correctly?) so imho it already IS sporty;
the Navi makes me think of some well-to-doer towing their yatch or horses;
*I* do not have a good idea of what's/who's in between. Can only *assume* it'd be 3-row ...and would like to see it called 'Aviator'... I had a much clearer picture in my mind when I was hoping it could be built on a Global RWD Platform!! Then it was sorta a capacious/taller 'road-jet' accompanying the swoopier Continental 'roadjet-saloon' & Constellation 'roadjet-4dcoupe' ... now, I dunno.

...From the MKC spy shots, it doesn't look like the proportions will match the concept...It will likely offer less cargo room than the Escape
...Small utility does not need to be class leading in utility space, just cool and fun levels along with style and affordable luxury to spare.
MKC will handle that...
that'll be the job of my "miniSport" SportBack/Mariner-replacement

#19 ·
Same could be said for the Fusion...yuor argument would make the whole Lincoln division moot

But it is not selling. Look at sales of Explorer vs Flex...How could you expect Lincoln to sell more cars built on the Flex than the Explorer?
MKT also has terrible third row headroom, making it useless for a family with teenagers.
MKT sales are not that far off for a premium large CUV. Flex sells modestly better.
And duplicating YET another Ford large SUV product, that sells in large numbers, will only takes sales from Explorer. Little net gain to the corporation. They have to draw the line somewhere.

What they are doing with Escape and MKC is brilliant. Far better than a Focus sized sedan. Small CUV's are hot right now, not small luxury sedans.
The new MKX will follow a similar path, against new Edge.

What exactly would Explorer-based MK give Lincoln that does not already exist with MKT already there, not to mention the next Navigator, that may offer some off-road prowess as well.

Sorry, an MK-expy, is just more of the same, and would not move the needle one bit. Not without affecting the other.

#20 ·
MKT is still one of the sleekest CUV's on the market, and a complete blast to drive.

View attachment 3602

Interior space is incredible. I loaded one up with 6 teens in the back, ranging from 13 to 17 years of age, for a total of 8 people. I never once heard a complaint about space, even in the 3rd row, where I had to break up a fight for who got to sit back there. That complaint is BS. Nobody is going to sit back there for a cross country trip, and teens will freaking squeeze into anything anyway. If you have a large family, you need a Navigator anyway.

#21 ·
MKT sales are not that far off for a premium large CUV. Flex sells modestly better.
And duplicating YET another Ford large SUV product, that sells in large numbers, will only takes sales from Explorer. Little net gain to the corporation. They have to draw the line somewhere.

What they are doing with Escape and MKC is brilliant. Far better than a Focus sized sedan. Small CUV's are hot right now, not small luxury sedans.
The new MKX will follow a similar path, against new Edge.

What exactly would Explorer-based MK give Lincoln that does not already exist with MKT already there, not to mention the next Navigator, that may offer some off-road prowess as well.

Sorry, an MK-expy, is just more of the same, and would not move the needle one bit. Not without affecting the other.
That's exactly why I miss Mercury.

#24 ·
I'm serious when I say that Lincoln MUST HAVE a version of the Explorer Sport. I know some of you dissagree and I respect your opinions But if Lincolns answer to the Land Rover Sport, Porsche Cayene and others is the ... MKT... well, then Lincoln is indeed finished. If you like the MKT and it suits your needs well, fine. Buy it. Personally I HATE the MKT. I'd rather be poked in the eye or have a 500 pound anvil dropped on my foot than look at an MKT. (Sorry, I'm seriously NOT trying to come across as some kind of "troll". I WANT LINCOLN TO DO WELL!) But in this market, producing a vehicle that's "adequate" or "good enough" for family transportation is NOT good enough. Ford, Chevy Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Nissan and others of the like fill that requirement, very well infact. Lincoln is trying to be a "luxury" brand. Nobody NEEDS luxury. But people WANT luxury. Therefore Lincoln should build vehicles people WANT. IMAGINE... Lincolns version of the Explorer Sport! With a juiced up version of the twin turbo V6 with maybe 450 HP. You pop the hood and you see Ford Racing... or Lincoln Racing on the valve covers. The new 8 or 9 speed manumatic transmission. A Haldex, or similar, AWD setup that can move torque up to 90% to the rear wheels and a suspension that can raise or lower the entire vehicle either for extra ground clearance or lower it for better aerodynamics and handling. And 4 wheel Brembos, or Baers or Wilwoods or whatever. Of course a stylish exterior/interior is a given. NO, THAT DOES'NT MEAN IT LOOKS LIKE THE CURRENT NAVIGATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now imagine it costs $10k to $15k less than a similarly equipped Land Rover Sport or a Porsche Cayenne or whatever. Tell me this vehicle would'nt TOTALLY KICK @$$!!! What's the icing on the cake you ask? Excellent question. I'm glad you asked. The icing on the cake is that CADILLAC DOES'NT BUILD ANYTHING LIKE THIS YET SO THAT MEANS LINCOLN COULD MAKE A $h!tLOAD OF MONEY ON THIS!!! I'd bet Lincoln would'nt be able to build enough of them. EVERYTHING, except for the new transmission, IS ALREADY THERE! Lincoln, BUILD IT!!! I guarantee you'll make a collossal amount of money. But, if Lincoln is happy with the MKT well....

#25 ·
What's wrong with sharing a lot of product with 3 brands?
NOTHING!

...except the way FML did it since the early 70's

...producing a vehicle that's "adequate" or "good enough" for family transportation is NOT good enough...
... Lincolns version of the Explorer Sport! With a juiced up version of the twin turbo V6 with maybe 450 HP...
...and a suspension that can raise or lower the entire vehicle either for extra ground clearance or lower it for better aerodynamics and handling...
EXCELLENT rant, John

FYI: the gen2 3.5EB can make upto 490hp
I *LOVE* the idea of the adjustable height suspension (& have ranted for it too) Ford PAID FOR landRover to develop it...

thinking about the smallerthan Navi 3-row;
how's everyone feel about a MKX-L?
meaning using a lot (if not all) of the nextgen MKX's styling?
reference: the CD4+3 spyshot thread
I can't believe there isn't SOME way to fill that niche - just having trouble cuz it's not a segment I've ever been in...

#26 ·
NOTHING!

...except the way FML did it since the early 70's

EXCELLENT rant, John

FYI: the gen2 3.5EB can make upto 490hp
I *LOVE* the idea of the adjustable height suspension (& have ranted for it too) Ford PAID FOR landRover to develop it...

thinking about the smallerthan Navi 3-row;
how's everyone feel about a MKX-L?
meaning using a lot (if not all) of the nextgen MKX's styling?
reference: the CD4+3 spyshot thread
I can't believe there isn't SOME way to fill that niche - just having trouble cuz it's not a segment I've ever been in...
Thanks. I just hope someone from Lincoln reads this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.