Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln Readying Potentially Major Re-launch of MKZ

17K views 68 replies 15 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Lincoln Readying Potentially Major Re-launch of MKZ
TheDetroitBureau.com
April 2, 2013
by Paul A. Eisenstein

With production of the new Lincoln MKZ finally approaching “launch levels” after a costly delay in the production of the critical new luxury sedan, parent Ford Motor Co. is studying just how extensive a re-launch will be needed to put the 2013 model back on the radar for potential buyers.

The Lincoln MKZ was supposed to serve as the foundation for the revitalization of the long-struggling luxury brand. But even as the first of the sedans began rolling into showrooms late last year, Ford decided to curb production, worrying that the MKZ could fall victim to the same snags that resulted in quality problems and recalls for other new 2013 models, such as the Ford Fusion sedan and Escape crossover.

The problem, admitted marketing chief Jim Farley, is that the carmaker went ahead with a major nationwide marketing campaign, including several costly Super Bowl spots, even without product in the showroom. That left dealers unable to serve potential buyers – some of whom are still waiting while others likely switched to competing brands.

Lincoln wants to attract new luxury buyers who are drawn by appointments like the updated MyLincolnTouch system.

“We’re studying our options” for what to do next, Farley told TheDetroitBureau.com during an interview. That could include a major re-launch of the Lincoln MKZ, a move that would add up to the tens of millions of dollars. The two spots on the Super Bowl alone reportedly cost Lincoln more than $6 million.

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#29 ·
What's wrong with sharing a lot of product with 3 brands?
Then you would be like GM. Here they are way ahead of Lincoln with Cadillac, great product, but their sales volumes are near bottom of the barrel like Lincoln.....because they have to share sales with entry level luxury Buick. And since Ford brand is on same level as Buick, where does that leave them?

Ford and Lincoln is the best plan.

#30 ·
Then you would be like GM. Here they are way ahead of Lincoln with Cadillac, great product, but their sales volumes are near bottom of the barrel like Lincoln.....because they have to share sales with entry level luxury Buick. And since Ford brand is on same level as Buick, where does that leave them?

Ford and Lincoln is the best plan.
imho
a revitalized "Small Mercs Theorem" works perfectly with a Luxury rendition of the "SuperSegment" hypothesis
Mission2020

#31 ·
2B, you always manage to put a smile on my face.

I too miss Merc, really do. I have owned/leased several. loved them all.

As for the next gen 3.5L T, remember, current gen was held back with FWD limitations. Yeah, they squeezed a lot more torque for truck, but next gen will be RWD only. So they did not have to design in certain restrictions, and just set the bar higher. I hear fuel efficiency will be about same, which is incredible given that it will gain so much perf.

#32 ·
2B, you always manage to put a smile on my face.

I too miss Merc, really do. I have owned/leased several. loved them all.

As for the next gen 3.5L T, remember, current gen was held back with FWD limitations. Yeah, they squeezed a lot more torque for truck, but next gen will be RWD only. So they did not have to design in certain restrictions, and just set the bar higher. I hear fuel efficiency will be about same, which is incredible given that it will gain so much perf.
the next gen 3.5l ecoboost is for rwd?? that means the mks is going to be rwd? or the next gen mks won´t have the 3.5l

#33 ·
the next gen 3.5l ecoboost is for rwd?? that means the mks is going to be rwd? or the next gen mks won´t have the 3.5l
It will probably be for both again, but be better in RWD form

#39 ·
I´m thinking about the lincoln models and maybe they should do a lineup like lexus:
mkz - Es competitor
mks - Gs competitor
mksomething - Is competitor
mkl? - Ls competitor
(because the mkz is not a a6-e-5 series competitor, neither a 3 series-c-ats (maybe a4 competitor)

#40 ·
^ Jose,
I don't think that highly of the Lexus GS or LS
so my targets are the 5-&-7-series and E-&-S-class...
...I'd like the MKS-replacement to take on ALL 4!!
tho
a nextgen-MKS (F-Awd) could target the A8 and...
...I'd still like a stretched MKS as a modern TownCar-replacement, non-flagship Luxury "parade-float"... not forever or even next-decade ...but imho there are still people in shock at not being able to purchase a BIG Lincoln...
those^ plus:
MKZ - A6/S6 and Es competitor

LincStang - 3-&-6-series and yes, Is competitor
(btw
the Audi A5/S5/etc is practically the exact size of Mission2020's COUGAR!!!
didn't plan that)

There is a very potent and compact new V6 coming, or did you all forget.

remember the other limitation of the D35 turbo, that it was difficult to package in anything smaller than a full size?
that won't be an issue with an engine called nano.
.....and if the MKS is getting smaller and lighter, it would make little sense to stuff yet another torque mitigated D35 in it.
Nano will impress and bring far better fuel economy, which is of course a requirement.
I didn't forget!

just can't keep from wondering about a platform that would have a transverse Nano but also, with a modular front end, accommodate a gen2 3.5EB longitudinally

btw,
also can't keep from asking if the Nano will be like the 3.5/3.7 in that only the smaller displacement will be EcoBoosted?

#41 ·
well, if I recall correctly, it will take up less space, but be roomier.
WELL the Fusion already has excellent rear seat room so if they extend the platform they will get even more

#42 ·
MKT is still one of the sleekest CUV's on the market, and a complete blast to drive.

View attachment 3602

Interior space is incredible. I loaded one up with 6 teens in the back, ranging from 13 to 17 years of age, for a total of 8 people. I never once heard a complaint about space, even in the 3rd row, where I had to break up a fight for who got to sit back there. That complaint is BS. Nobody is going to sit back there for a cross country trip, and teens will freaking squeeze into anything anyway. If you have a large family, you need a Navigator anyway.
You are quite full of yourself to consider my observations BS.

I am not the only one to complain about the lack of third seat headroom, and those teens will keep getting taller. Try the same trip a couple years from now, and you will see.

#49 ·
You are quite full of yourself to consider my observations BS.

I am not the only one to complain about the lack of third seat headroom, and those teens will keep getting taller. Try the same trip a couple years from now, and you will see.
Don't be so sensitive, my BS remark was more toward the others making same claim.
Based on my own experience with kids taller than me, 3rd row room function gives away a bit to form, in a stylish CUV. It also gives way to massive 2nd row leg room, limo like even. I think that is a stand out in the segment.

And like I said, large Navi is what large families should get anyway.

#51 ·
I think Lincoln is waiting to fix the mess of the mkz to launch the mkc....but wait too much is not a good idea IMHO....they need new cars to sell
I don't believe they are delaying anything MKC related due to MKZ issues as there is absolutely nothing to gain in doing so. If they are delaying the MKC, and I've heard nothing but speculation to suggest they are, then it is because of issues with the MKC itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.