Ford Inside News banner

ford talking unibody ranger replacement

11K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  richmond2000 
#1 ·
#2 ·
"While speaking at the 2013 Chicago Auto Show, Doug Scott, marketing manager for Ford Trucks, said there's still a market for a smaller pickup, but that buyers expect to see a larger differentiation between the smaller utility vehicles and their full size counterparts in price, capability and fuel economy."

That really is the key to all of this. I don't need to tow a whole lot, it is very unlikley that I will ever tow anything. So as long as I can move furniture with it if needed, pick up stuff at lowes, but I drive 20,000 miles a year and would like to gett better MPG. When I wrecked my ranger the problem I ran into when I bought my current truck is ....why wouldn't I buy a full size truck when I can buy full size for the same price as a small truck with a V6 that only gets 2 mpg better. There has to be a clear advantage for me in the future to consider a small truck, by either price or MPG.

If I wanted a high end truck or towed a lot full size would be the only option, but I normally go for a truck like the STX, XLT. $10K off is pretty normal for a full size truck around here $14K off right now for some trucks, you don't get thoes kind of discounts on small trucks, especially Tacoma's

#3 ·
Ford abandoned 15000 monthly Rangers buyers that now will buy the Toyota Tacoma, Chevy or GMC small trucks. Is incredible that Ford cant produce a truck that fit well in this market, without affect the F series sales. I think they are wrong when think that the small truck buyers crossshopping the F series.... NO. Both buyers are very different. Look at the sales charts and you can see . Ford is loosing a market share and customers with the Ranger demise in USA

#4 ·
Ford abandoned 15000 monthly Rangers buyers that now will buy the Toyota Tacoma, Chevy or GMC small trucks. Is incredible that Ford cant produce a truck that fit well in this market, without affect the F series sales. I think they are wrong when think that the small truck buyers crossshopping the F series.... NO. Both buyers are very different. Look at the sales charts and you can see . Ford is loosing a market share and customers with the Ranger demise in USA
I cross shopped both small and large trucks, and I have the last 3 times I have bought. Twice I bought a small truck, and the last time I bought a large because there was almost no price difference, and losing 2mpg didn't bother me.

I would not have bought another ranger in it's current form, it had escentially been around since 1993. This go around I was looking at Tacoma's. The current Chevy and GMC small trucks are not appealing either... I almost bought one in 2006 but ended up going with a used ranger instead.

The reason so many people bought small trucks in the 90's and early 2000's was because they were cheap. They were some of the cheapest new car/truck you could buy. That's not the case anymore, small cars now are nicley equipped for less than small trucks. And when you can buy a new full size truck for $1-2K more....or sometimes the same price as a small one, most people go with the full size.

Like the article said.... for me to consider a small truck next time, it has to have a clear advantage MPG wise and price wise, but I don't see big incentives on trucks going away anytime soon.

#5 ·
I cross shopped both small and large trucks, and I have the last 3 times I have bought. Twice I bought a small truck, and the last time I bought a large because there was almost no price difference, and losing 2mpg didn't bother me.

I would not have bought another ranger in it's current form, it had escentially been around since 1993. This go around I was looking at Tacoma's. The current Chevy and GMC small trucks are not appealing either... I almost bought one in 2006 but ended up going with a used ranger instead.

The reason so many people bought small trucks in the 90's and early 2000's was because they were cheap. They were some of the cheapest new car/truck you could buy. That's not the case anymore, small cars now are nicley equipped for less than small trucks. And when you can buy a new full size truck for $1-2K more....or sometimes the same price as a small one, most people go with the full size.

Like the article said.... for me to consider a small truck next time, it has to have a clear advantage MPG wise and price wise, but I don't see big incentives on trucks going away anytime soon.
As for me I would have to respectfully disagree. I would never shop the large truck market for reasons I've expressed previously on this site. Mainly I don't want to drive (& try to park) such a large vehicle. I understand your statement about if they are so close in price why not buy the larger one, but for me, it would never happen.

#6 ·
As for me I would have to respectfully disagree. I would never shop the large truck market for reasons I've expressed previously on this site. Mainly I don't want to drive (& try to park) such a large vehicle. I understand your statement about if they are so close in price why not buy the larger one, but for me, it would never happen.
Right, which is why I think a lot of people buy the Tacoma. Everyone has their reasons, but it doesn't change the fact that the small truck market shrunk by a lot in the last 10 years. You would think with gas prices higher it would be the opposite, but I think the lack of price difference is a big factor. I got a 2 year old truck with 38K miles for the same price as 4 and 5 year old Tacoma's with 60-80K miles.

You are right about parking (just driving I haven't noticed a big difference) a large truck.... the first week I had it I scuffed the bumper trying to get into a spot in a parking garage, you do do things differently in parking lots, but not that big a deal to me. Full fize truck turning circle is terrible.... but then again it isn't any worse than the Ranger I had (I do a 180 degree turn 5 days a week to get to my mailbox).

#10 ·
I listen carefully whenever an employer asks Ford brass about Ranger, and it happens often. Almost comical actually, and the brass seem to crindge a tad every time, nearly rolling their eyes even. They have been text book consistent, that Ford has no plans, blah blah.......But I have to say, something is going on lately and I think they are coming around. I think they can't wait to announce it, if for no other reason than to repel the masses, LOL.

#12 ·
Ford Exec Sees Room for a Redesigned Ranger in US - AutoGuide
Stephen Elmer | Apr 11

...one Ford executive thinks that there is a place for Ranger in North America, just not the same one that is sold worldwide.

“It’d have to be a true compact truck,” truck program marketing manager Doug Scott told Automotive.com speaking about the Ranger. “It has to be clearly differentiated from the F-150 in price, size, and fuel economy.”

...If Ford does decide to bring back the Ranger, it will have to be an all new vehicle, though in any case, Scott says even the possibility of a new small pickup is years away.

#13 ·
Ford Exec Sees Room for a Redesigned Ranger in US - AutoGuide
Stephen Elmer | Apr 11

...one Ford executive thinks that there is a place for Ranger in North America, just not the same one that is sold worldwide.

“It’d have to be a true compact truck,” truck program marketing manager Doug Scott told Automotive.com speaking about the Ranger. “It has to be clearly differentiated from the F-150 in price, size, and fuel economy.”

...If Ford does decide to bring back the Ranger, it will have to be an all new vehicle, though in any case, Scott says even the possibility of a new small pickup is years away.
I wouldn't mind picking up a Ranger in the next couple of years. It would really come in handy and I sure as **** don't need an F-150. Its too bad they are saying "years away"

#15 ·
I've been thinking about this further and here is the plan: :thumb:

I think Ford should drop the F-150 and limit the 10/10 size trucks to the Super Duty.
I think Ford needed to bring the new 9/10 Ranger here as an F-100.
I think Ford should be building a 7/10 Ranger the size of the old Ford Courier.

My reason is that for 90% of todays F-150 buyers a 9/10ths F-100 would still be more than sufficient, in fact for most I would bet it would be preferable! For the remaining 10% the F-250 is still an option. This plan would put Ford in both the existing full size truck market, along with the mid-size, and all alone in the small pickup segment.

I currently drive a Silverado 2500HD :tongue: I know, I know, got it used and it was the best option at that time, though not by choice. Anyways, for my purposes the worldwide Ranger would be perfect!

I understand people will likely :facepalm: given my sacrilegious idea of killing a Ford icon, the F-150, but hey, I'm bringing back another in the form of the F-100!!

And yes, I understand my plan is messing with Ford's gravy train and while doing so may be great in theory, it would be to big a risk in reality. The above is my perfect world postulation.

:rock:

#16 ·
I fear *SOME* posters here have been a bad influence on you, SP...

I think Ford should drop the F-150 and limit the 10/10 size trucks to the Super Duty.
I think Ford should be building a 7/10 Ranger the size of the old Ford Courier...

My reason is that for 90% of todays F-150 buyers a 9/10ths F-100 would still be more than sufficient, in fact for most I would bet it would be preferable! For the remaining 10% the F-250 is still an option. This plan would put Ford in both the existing full size truck market, along with the mid-size, and all alone in the small pickup segment.

I currently drive a Silverado 2500HD :tongue: I know, I know, got it used and it was the best option at that time, though not by choice. Anyways, for my purposes the worldwide Ranger would be perfect!

I understand people will likely :facepalm: given my sacrilegious idea of killing a Ford icon, the F-150, but hey, I'm bringing back another in the form of the F-100!!
Imho
you're very accurately demonstrating what CAFE will force to happen
imho2 anyone willing to think about the future MUST mostly agree with what you've said
imho3
the real trick is how to get from Now to Then,
which marketing ploys and products will best & painlessly keep Ford's truck customers happy while meeting these new efficiency goals??

And yes, I understand my plan is messing with Ford's gravy train and while doing so may be great in theory, it would be to big a risk in reality. The above is my perfect world postulation.
anyone else remember GravyTrain DOGFOOD commercials?

#18 ·

I think Ford should be building a 7/10 Ranger the size of the old Ford Courier.

MY approach to do it would bring out the ATLAS truck as the NEXT F series starting @ F250 / Re Adjust the lower levels / Power train line up with the EB and (hopefully the TD5 Power Stroke)
to Capture the market space the 150 is in for the group that actually USE the Capacity offered in a "1/2 Tonner" and bring the Ranger to "FILL" in the "Life Style" END of the market AND call it the Ranger AND @ 9/10 sized it's foot print is almost as large as the F150 combined with the "Power Team" offered in the Transit large van the CAFE ratings should be good

and 3RD work on a world wide marketable Courier based off the Connect chassis to service the BOTTOM / urban delivery market + replace the OLD Bantam/Chevy Tornado would be a use for the 1.0 EB / Power Shift and really go for MPG's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.