Tesla Takes The EV Sales Lead For 2013, As Ford Gets A Plug-In Letdown In January
NEWS

1. Welcome to Ford Inside News General discussion forum for Ford

Welcome to Ford Inside News - a website dedicated to all things Ford.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Ford Inside News today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tesla Takes The EV Sales Lead For 2013, As Ford Gets A Plug-In Letdown In January

Thanks

Tesla Takes The EV Sales Lead For 2013, As Ford Gets A Plug-In Letdown In January

C-Max sales overall (standard/hybrid and plug-in) took a pounding in January, as the model lineup fell 63% to 2,725 units (from 4,310 in December, and almost 5,000 in November). The C-Max Energi, was hit even harder, as only 338 were sold in January, down from a high of 1,259 in November, and about a 1,000 last month. Of note: inventory for the C-Max Energi at month’s end stood very low, at an estimated 450 units.

For The First Time, Ford Had Some Trouble Moving The C-Max Energi

Still, it seems unlikely that even with a full complement of C-Max Energis, Ford could have taken the sales title away from Tesla this month.

As for Ford’s other plug-ins, never a serious contender to challenge for any sales records, the Focus Electric also stumbled in January with only 81 units sold, down from 167 in December. We are still waiting on results from the Fusion Energi, but we expect it to fare no better than the Focus Electric, as it only went on sale this month, and it starts at around $40,000.
    Read More: http://insideevs.com/tesla-takes-the...wn-in-january/
    Last edited by AM222; 02-05-2013 at 02:52 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Tesla Takes The EV Sales Lead For 2013, As Ford Gets A Plug-In Letdown In January

I think Ford should consider selling the C-Max TDCi diesel in the US. A more affordable fuel efficient alternative to the Hybrids/ Plug in Hybrids and EVs.

No batteries in the cargo area means much more usable cargo space.

C-Max 2.0 TDCi 163: 163PS (161hp) 060mph 8.6 secs, Top speed 130 mph, Average mpg 55.4 (46.13 mpg US)
    C-Max 2.0 TDCi 140: 140PS (138hp) 060mph 9.6 secs, Top speed 125 mph, Average mpg 55.4 (46.13 mpg US)
    C-Max 1.6 TDCi 115: 115PS (113hp) 060mph 11.3 secs, Top speed 114 mph, Average mpg 61.4 (51.13 mpg US)
    - http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/f...ummary/25929-7

PS: Conversion MPG (UK) to MPG (US): http://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-f...gimperial.html
    Last edited by AM222; 02-05-2013 at 03:03 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Tesla Takes The EV Sales Lead For 2013, As Ford Gets A Plug-In Letdown In January

Weree they expecting C-max sales to always outstrip production?
    Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    Weree they expecting C-max sales to always outstrip production?
    Ford was probably expecting to at least maintain their sales numbers... but a sudden drop to less than half the previous months is really bad.

They announced discounts for the Focus EV, I wonder if the Hybrids will get a discount too?
    Last edited by AM222; 02-05-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
    Ford was probably expecting to at least maintain their sales numbers... but a sudden drop to less than half the previous months is really bad.

They announced discounts for the Focus EV, I wonder if the Hybrids will get a discount too?
    Not really, January is always one of the lowest volume months in the US. Also, they had a big month in December that most likely took too much inventory off the lots for January.
    Have Ford Sales in Markets Not Included in this POST? Email Me

GO TIGERS! BCS Orange Bowl Champs!

Thanks

I'm quite impressed at how Tesla was able to move over a thousand units of their Model S premium sports EV sedan in January.

I did notice one thing though, after the $7500 federal tax credit, a Tesla Model S costs just a bit more than a similar size conventional engine premium sport sedan.
    The base Tesla Model S, after the $7500 federal tax credit starts at $52K, just 2K more than the $50K Jaguar XF V6 and Audi A6 3.0 TFSI.

The same cannot be said about the Focus EV, even with the $7500 federal tax credit, it still costs much more than its conventional engine equivalent.

Even with the $7500 federal tax credit, is the Focus EV still too expensive for its target market?
    Last edited by AM222; 02-05-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 807 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AM222 View Post
    ...I did notice one thing though, after the $7500 federal tax credit, a Tesla Model S costs just a bit more than a similar size conventional engine premium sport sedan.
    The base Tesla Model S, after the $7500 federal tax credit starts at $52K, just 2K more than the $50K Jaguar XF V6 and Audi A6 3.0 TFSI.

The same cannot be said about the Focus EV, even with the $7500 federal tax credit, it still costs much more than its conventional engine equivalent.
    Even with the $7500 federal tax credit, is the Focus EV still too expensive for its target market?
    I still believe
    - electrics are not yet ready for mainstream
    - the Volt should have started life as the Buick Electra
    - Mercury would have been (may still BE) the best FoMoCo Brand to lead in this area
    - Lincoln is still a better home than the Ford Brand**
    but
    - Lincoln might have trouble dealing with the "distraction" of electrification...or any other influence to broaden its offerings -- lately I keep thinking of a juggler who has as many balls in the air as he can handle; add one more & they could all drop *cough*Z launch*cough*
    to which I reply >slap< Get Over It!

** I'm fuzzy-headed with a cold but
    there are NO standalone Lincoln dealers anymore, are there?
    Last edited by 2b2; 02-05-2013 at 01:07 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2b2 For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (02-05-2013), Mercury & Buick Fan (02-05-2013)

Ford Sport Ka Mercury & Buick Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    I still believe
    - electrics are not yet ready for mainstream
    - the Volt should have started life as the Buick Electra
    - Mercury would have been (may still BE) the best FoMoCo Brand to lead in this area
    - Lincoln is still a better home than the Ford Brand**
    but
    - Lincoln might have trouble dealing with the "distraction" of electrification...or any other influence to broaden its offerings -- lately I keep thinking of a juggler who has as many balls in the air as he can handle; add one more & they could all drop *cough*Z launch*cough*
    to which I reply >slap< Get Over It!

I agree with all of that completely. Yes 2b2 there are still some standalone Lincoln dealers but there is only one in my territory. All of the others are combined with Ford with the one exception being a Mazda and Lincoln dealer which used to be Mercury, Mazda and Lincoln although they still have all the Mercury signs up.

I like the C-Max Energi. The biggest reason being I think it's so cute and lovable but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to sit in or drive the C-Max hopefully that will change soon though. And I hope sale numbers pick up.
    Last edited by Mercury & Buick Fan; 02-05-2013 at 01:25 PM.

2001 MERCURY SABLE LS PREMIUM 133K
    2007 MERCURY MILAN BASE 65K
    2011 BUICK LACROSSE CXL 17K

Ford Mondeo
    Thanks

This absolute fascination with matching Toyota blow for blow especially considered their completely government subsidized HSD program is foolhardy at best. Very soon GM, and Ford will be absolutely usurped by little old Chrysler with class leading transmission in all of their RWD/ FWD offerings, and yet both are still quite enthralled with funneling every last dime into electrification programs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    There are 2 that I know of...

Owen Lincoln in Dedham, MA where I bought my LS
    http://owenmotors.com/
    and
    Parks Lincoln of Tampa in Tampa, FL where I brought my LS to be serviced when I first moved down here
    http://lincolnoftampa.com/

The Other Lincoln dealer that is closer to me is apart of Autoway group. It's a stand alone dealership but apart of a larger group that sells other brands around the area.
    Current Car: 2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    Previous Cars
    1994 Ford Econoline 150 Centaurus LTD Conversion Van Red and White 351 V8 4 Speed Automatic
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

13. Remove Advertisements
    Ford Inside News
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.