Ford Inside News banner

Farley: Lincoln MKZ sales rebound, set record in April

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  lawrencewhitlock 
#1 ·
Farley: Lincoln MKZ sales rebound, set record in April
Automotive News
April 30, 2013
by Nick Bunkley

Ford Motor Co. today said it sold more Lincoln MKZ sedans in April than in the first three months of the year combined, as the luxury brand began to recover from lengthy production and distribution delays on the car.

Jim Farley, Ford's executive vice president of global marketing and the head of Lincoln, said MKZ sales in the United States would be "right around the 4,000-unit sales mark."

Total MKZ sales from January through March were 3,758, a 47 percent drop from the same period in 2012.

Farley said sales for all of Lincoln, which now calls itself the Lincoln Motor Co. as part of a revitalization plan, would be up at least 10 percent. Ford and other automakers report April sales on Wednesday.

He said April was the best month ever for the MKZ, which was introduced in 2007 as a new name for the Zephyr sedan.

"We are encouraged but fully recognize there is much more to be done," Farley said on a conference call with reporters Tuesday.

Full article available at link.

See less See more
#2 ·
While 4000 is good I was kind of hoping for higher... oh well maybe next month will be just as strong if not better?

#4 ·
While 4000 is good I was kind of hoping for higher... oh well maybe next month will be just as strong if not better?

I was thinking there would be more than that just filling the pre-orders that have been waiting for months.

4K would be a good number in a regular month. If we don't see a drop off in May and June sales, I'll be happy.

#6 ·
I'd say that the marketing campaign is well underway. I've received several mailings from Lincoln as a result of my expressing interest in the MKZ. One was a very unusual photographic print. The latest is a pen of a supposedly classic design, meaning that one is on display at the Museum of Modern Art. I'm almost of a mood to think that now that it's been announced that there's more money for development at Lincoln, that the first one billion dollar figure was for the items sent in these mailings.

In any case, when I manage the down payment issue, my interest in the MKZ is sincere enough. It's probably the best idea of a luxury sedan for me at the moment, in that it isn't all that expensive, a hybrid system that doesn't cost extra is a draw, considering that the fuel crises of the seventies happened when I was in school, leaving me with a severe distaste for paying large sums of money to the oil companies, even when I have had the odd moment where I've had money to burn (actually rare in my life). I've driven it, even if I've not done the Date Night thing, and came away somehow rather impressed. There are aspects of the MKZ I distinctly prefer to the ES300h that is its direct competition, starting with the driving experience, and continuing at least as far as the fact that at least the stereo system in the Lincoln didn't freeze my iPod like the Lexus did. An aside on this issue, I've also tried CUE on a ATS with a manual transmission, and CUE froze my iPod before the first song finished, actually in about two minutes.

It is a good thing to see the new MKZ take off, better in light of the facilities issue many Lincoln dealers face, and that I've mentioned about local Lincoln dealers.

However, this may be the beginning of my desire for luxury cars. Lincoln right now offers other sedans and SUVs. Neither of these choices are likely to keep me. Should I have a desire for a grand touring coupe (and not a four door coupe), will they ever have one for me. How about a large sedan, of the sort defined by the S class and the 7 series? A future Lincoln lineup should give Lincoln customers reason to stay faithful.

#7 ·
I'd say that the marketing campaign is well underway. I've received several mailings from Lincoln as a result of my expressing interest in the MKZ. One was a very unusual photographic print. The latest is a pen of a supposedly classic design, meaning that one is on display at the Museum of Modern Art. I'm almost of a mood to think that now that it's been announced that there's more money for development at Lincoln, that the first one billion dollar figure was for the items sent in these mailings.

In any case, when I manage the down payment issue, my interest in the MKZ is sincere enough. It's probably the best idea of a luxury sedan for me at the moment, in that it isn't all that expensive, a hybrid system that doesn't cost extra is a draw, considering that the fuel crises of the seventies happened when I was in school, leaving me with a severe distaste for paying large sums of money to the oil companies, even when I have had the odd moment where I've had money to burn (actually rare in my life). I've driven it, even if I've not done the Date Night thing, and came away somehow rather impressed. There are aspects of the MKZ I distinctly prefer to the ES300h that is its direct competition, starting with the driving experience, and continuing at least as far as the fact that at least the stereo system in the Lincoln didn't freeze my iPod like the Lexus did. An aside on this issue, I've also tried CUE on a ATS with a manual transmission, and CUE froze my iPod before the first song finished, actually in about two minutes.

It is a good thing to see the new MKZ take off, better in light of the facilities issue many Lincoln dealers face, and that I've mentioned about local Lincoln dealers.

However, this may be the beginning of my desire for luxury cars. Lincoln right now offers other sedans and SUVs. Neither of these choices are likely to keep me. Should I have a desire for a grand touring coupe (and not a four door coupe), will they ever have one for me. How about a large sedan, of the sort defined by the S class and the 7 series? A future Lincoln lineup should give Lincoln customers reason to stay faithful.
Lincoln has quite a bit planned. The MKZ is very nice, but it's robbing sales from the MKS. The MKS now has the same 112" wheelbase as the new MKZ. But the new MKS on a longer 114" to 116" wheelbase to better compete with the E-Class and 5-Series by 2015 model year. The MKC small suv should launch before end of 2013. New MKX is on the way, and may launch before the new MKS. Then there is the 3-Series competitor, using the new 2015 Mustang RWD/AWD platform, that could easily be a sedan(Lincoln 4-door Mustang), and coupe(Lincoln version of a Mustang). Then there is the New Navigator, following the new F-150 with extensive use of aluminum and dropping 800+ lbs. So there is so much more to come....

#8 ·
...The MKS now has the same 112" wheelbase as the new MKZ. But the new MKS on a longer 114" to 116" wheelbase to better compete with the E-Class and 5-Series by 2015 model year...
umm...
the Z is 5er/E size - actually longer (+1" on the 5er, 2.4" on the E)
&
naturally I have a guesstimate for the CD4+3
115.2 wlb, 3" longer than Z
76.4 width, 3" wider than Z
58.2 ht. = same as Z
200-203" ovl, pure guess
current MKS = 112.9 - 75.9 - 61.6 - 204.1

...The MKC small suv should launch before end of 2013. New MKX is on the way, and may launch before the new MKS...
imho "launch" is the vaguest possible term in autodom...
...even worse than "new"
Care to narrow the definition? :wink:
-- autoshow debut of production version?
-- Job1?
-- arriving at dealers?

...Then there is the 3-Series competitor, using the new 2015 Mustang RWD/AWD platform, that could easily be a sedan(Lincoln 4-door Mustang), and coupe(Lincoln version of a Mustang)...
recently saw a "knowledgeable & 'connected' person" use the term "4-door-coupe"...TWICE!
I'd much prefer 2 separate bodystyles, actually sportsedan and a coupe-cabrio
...your thoughts?

...Then there is the New Navigator, following the new F-150 with extensive use of aluminum and dropping 800+ lbs. So there is so much more to come....
agree for the "all-new" one coming after the F-150's Q3'14 Job1
but really want an MCE this year: engines, new MLT console, and GRILLE!!!!
any idea if it's possible?

#9 ·
Lincoln to hike MKZ Hybrid mix; Ford volume up 18% - Automotive News
Bradford Wernle
May 1, 2013

MKZ: Strong on the coasts

Ken Czubay, Ford vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service, said strong Lincoln sales in coastal areas helped to boost the MKZ.

"The fastest growth market for MKZ was the Los Angeles region where retail sales more than tripled with the MKZ hybrid leading the charge," he said in a conference call with reporters. In Los Angeles, the hybrid version represented about 60 percent of the vehicle's retail sales.

"We will be increasing hybrid mix to 30 percent to support our dealers particularly on the coasts" for the 2014 model, Czubay said...

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130501/RETAIL01/130509980#ixzz2SBHyaz3A
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.