Ford Inside News banner

Ford US April 2013 Sales Up 18 Percent

13K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  Andrew L 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lincoln Rebounds
Ford Inside News
May 1, 2013
By: Austin Rutherford

Ford reported today an increase in sales of 17.9-% for April 2013. Not only did Ford see gains at Ford the brand, but also finally at Lincoln as the brand's sales rose 21-% on the back of the all-new MkZ. All together, cars were up 21-%, utilities up 16-%, and trucks up 16-%.

Leading the way at Ford was the Escape, which saw sales skyrocket 52-%. Next up, the F-Series and Fusion saw sales climb 24-% each. Both the Escape and Fusion saw their best April sales ever, while the F-Series saw its best sales since 2006.

Ford mentions that sales of the Fusion doubled in the Western region of the US, including the all important market of California. Southwest sales were up 70 percent as well. Other gains in car sales were the Fiesta with 18.4-%, Focus with 16.1-%, and C-Max saw sales over 3,600 units. Taurus and Mustang broke about even. Explorer and E-Series also saw healthy gains.

Lincoln sales saw gains due to the all-new MkZ. April was its first full month of sales with full inventory on the lots at dealers. MkZ sales saw their best sales ever for any month and was the first time the nameplate had of 4,000 units sold in one month. The only other Lincoln to fetch higher sales during the month was the Navigator with a gain of 26.6-%.

dead Link Tables
new .Pdf LINK also attaching

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
The RX350 sold in the 1st three months of the year 21404 up 20% over the first three months of 2012. In the same time frame the MKX sold 6066 down 6%. The MKX is not competing very well. Ford can crack that RX350 stranglehold once they launch that Escape derivative MK?
Does anyone know when it's coming out?

#31 ·
^ only insiders know when the MKC comes out, carboy
& they're not allowed to tell ...yet

Ford is certainly concerned about bad launches, and is trying hard, but lets face it, who else is launching as much new product and powertrains. Fusion alone had how many engines and transmissions, including hybrid. Try as you might, sometimes things happen. Hard to prepare for everything, when so much is all new.
**** happens, life is messy = no argument

SCHEDULING any Job1 with last-model-year to BEGIN just before that model-year is superseded is just WRONG ...imho
AND WEIRD
^ imho something strange is going on with FLincMoCo's scheduling,
almost like they're planning on bucking the practice of model years being used for the year before the calendar year ... imho2, it won't work!

#32 ·
I was under the impression that MKZ and MKC yearly sales of 3,000 units per model ( in North America) would meet expectations.
So anything over that I would assume is unexpected and a bonus.

But I think it is going to take minimum 3 -5 years for the consumer who is a shopper in this segment of entry lux and above, to consider a Lincoln vehicle of any sorts.

I say watch Lincoln in China, I think this is at least a unbiased market were Lincoln has a very good case to be a player in the luxury segment.

#35 ·
I'm thinking Navi = on sale before LAIAS/November. More specific than that I have no ideas.
&
I haven't heard anything to change the C489 MKC Job1 from Q4'13
&
it was said a short time ago that the X would have been shown by this time next year but not out yet
& the MKS comes out after the X
FWIW, The order bank opens for the '14 Expedition and the Navigator 6/17/13 with a first production date of 8/19/13.

The '14 Edge and MKX order banks open 9/16/13 and production starts 11/18/13. These are the latest of the 2014 order bank and production dates that have been released.

It appears Ford has made public, at least to the fleet market, all of their order bank and Job 1 dates for this year. I still haven't seen any order bank dates or production dates for the MKC. This leads me to believe it will be introduced at an auto show in '14 and start selling late year as a '15.

I'll be visiting a local Lincoln dealer Monday. I'll see if he will share any additional info.

#37 ·
Raise your hand if you have driven in a SRX? That feels more like a compact than a mid. I know the dimensions, no need to list them, but sit in a SRX and the first thing you notice is you are practically rubbing shoulders with passenger. Width to me defines class size more than anything. MKX is far roomier in that regard. I think SRX is closer to new MKC actually.

#38 ·
It appears Ford has made public, at least to the fleet market, all of their order bank and Job 1 dates for this year. I still haven't seen any order bank dates or production dates for the MKC. This leads me to believe it will be introduced at an auto show in '14 and start selling late year as a '15.
I don't see any possibility of the MKC falling two years behind the Escape with the next MKX leapfrogging it when the next Flex hasn't even been seen yet. That would put the MKC on a two year old platform day one.

Somewhat off topic but I would love to see the Lincoln version of each platform roll off the lines in advance of the Ford. Flip the script and make the Ford share a Lincoln platform, not the other way around. Semantics I know, but it sounded good echoing in my head! :rock:

#39 ·
I thought the samething but reconsidered after the multiple Fusion/Escape recalls. Ford can take the hit but Lincoln can't afford that type of damage right now. Look at what everyone said in response to Lincoln holding back the MKZ for whatever issues that were going on in Mexico which I believe was the correct thing to do.

#40 ·
I don't see any possibility of the MKC falling two years behind the Escape with the next MKX leapfrogging it when the next Flex hasn't even been seen yet. That would put the MKC on a two year old platform day one...
This may be more possible than you like. IIRC, Ford products are usually introduced at a major auto show. I believe the next major U.S. auto show is LA which opens 11/30/13. If the MKC is introduced at LA that would be two years after the introduction of the "13 Escape at LA in 2011. The '13 Escape went on sale in April 2012 as a '13 model. If the same pattern is followed with the MKC that would mean an on sale date in April 2014 of a "15 model. Given the lead time required before production the Escape platform is already two years old for all practical purposes.

#41 ·
I thought the samething but reconsidered after the multiple Fusion/Escape recalls. Ford can take the hit but Lincoln can't afford that type of damage right now. Look at what everyone said in response to Lincoln holding back the MKZ for whatever issues that were going on in Mexico which I believe was the correct thing to do.
Neither brand really needs that type of "damage." However, the Fusion/Escape recall was an overheating problem and the MKZ was a body build quality problem. IIRC, part of the 1.6l engine problem was sensor/software based and easier to remedy.

#42 ·
I agree but Ford can better manage that type of damage right now with all of the good products being released lately and subliminally blaming the suppliers for the recalls. Lincoln is trying to work itself back into consideration. I like the MKZ from what I've seen online but yet to see one on the road. I've seen many MKX's over the past month or so with all women drivers, it's amazing what some advertising can do.

#44 ·
...Somewhat off topic but I would love to see the Lincoln version of each platform roll off the lines in advance of the Ford. Flip the script and make the Ford share a Lincoln platform, not the other way around. Semantics I know, but it sounded good echoing in my head! :rock:

there WAS an online document saying the next MCE/tophat would see the Z a year before the Fusion (Q3'17 vs Q3'18 ...page15)

Welcome to the forum, iculookn!

imho the worst part of the Z's delay was its coming out just as the modelyear was changing
if it had been planned as an early 2014my coming out, say, end of January; then if it got delayed several months, at least the modelyear would still be 'current'
&
also still imho
it woulda been good if Z production had moved to FlatRock (except for the timing) - along with the LincStang, making FlatRock mostly a Lincoln assembly plant
which
imho they could still do once it's up & running

#45 ·
Thank you. I've been reading this forum for over a year now but I'm not a post hog and prefer to soak up the knowledge and opinions of others. It has to be something important for me to come out from behind the screen.

I agree, they should do a Honda/Acura and present the car at an auto show and it's in production within weeks. I don't think they were prepared for the overwhelming positive response for the MKC, that CUV should be in dealer lots by the end of the summer if I had it my way. I think Lincoln should have a dedicated factory or a primary factory for there vehicles. If the rumors or true, the MKS will be based on a stretched version of the MKZ platform along with the next gen MKX, make them in the same factory where they can go the extra mile as far as quality. Obviously that wouldn't work with all the vehicles because of volume like the Navigator or MKC but on the cars I see no issue.

#46 ·
^ agree iculookn
IF a Lincoln factory is at all possible, pulling in all the CD4/CD4.2/CD4+3 vehicles
(Z X S and even MKexpLorer/Aviator)
would probably have the best shot ...it'd be great for offering ALL unique paint colors too!!
but
more likely imho FLincMoCo will just do the larger F & L models in Chicago

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ford says demand for Fusion, C-Max (hybrid) models will deliver sales record - Detroit News
May 3, 2013
by Karl Henkel

Ford Motor Co. expects to shatter its full-year hybrid vehicle sales record later this month, led by a handful of new vehicle offerings that are challenging Toyota Motor Corp. for hybrid-vehicle supremacy.

The Dearborn automaker's hybrid share is up to 18 percent compared to 3 percent at this time last year thanks to April hybrid sales totaling 8,481, a monthly record...

...Ford still trails Toyota, which has a 58 percent share of the hybrid market, down from 71 percent at this time last year, according to Ford data.
(even though)
...Sales of hybrid vehicles are up 2.5 percent, compared to a 7 percent gain for the industry as a whole, said Erich Merkle, Ford's U.S. sales analyst. Hybrids make up about 4 percent of the industry...

...Toyota North America CEO Jim Lentz last month blamed gas prices as a reason for tumbling sales of its Prius hybrid vehicles...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

crossreference: Lincoln to hike MKZ Hybrid mix
...In Los Angeles, the hybrid version represented about 60 percent of the vehicle's retail sales.
"We will be increasing hybrid mix to 30 percent to support our dealers particularly on the coasts"...

#47 ·
Is this the sign that we have been awaiting?
Will this begin the 'New Lincoln' production of new cars?
I hope, that this will be soon but...
The reality: design to paper and that first QUALITY vehicle running,
off of the line to a happy customer takes time.
Upgrade the present, harness the attention of the prospects and
just maybe, if the right product is there, LINCOLN will be too.
Let's go!

#49 ·
Please forgive my ignorance as I am brand new to this forum, but what does "MCE" stand for in this context? Thanks.
Mid Cycle Enhancement

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.