Ford Inside News banner

Mercedes predicts strong demand for GLA crossover

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  timf2001 
#1 ·
Mercedes predicts strong demand for GLA crossover

Mercedes-Benz expects its compact GLA crossover to be in hot demand when it lands in dealer showrooms this fall.

After receiving far more interest in its compact CLA sedan than expected, Mercedes is calling for booming demand for its upcoming GLA utility vehicle. The compact utility market is one of the hottest going right now, with the GLA representing Mercedes' first entrant into the segment.

Dealers agree that the GLA could be a better seller than the popular CLA.

"Dealers feel there is a lot more potential in that car," Steve Cannon, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA, told Automotive News. "It could be hotter -- the feedback is phenomenal."

That popularity could result in shortages of the GLA on dealer lots.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-predicts-strong-demand-for-gla-crossover.html#ixzz2qxvIie65

See less See more
#4 ·
Ford already has a GLA, it's called the Escape Titanium and even the Edge.

Mercedes just wants a piece of the high volume pie, something Ford already has in spades. The MKC and MKX will only further that.
I think in the GLA-X1-Q3 segment the MKC can be the leader in sales, is it bigger than the GLA, better than the Q3 (equipment) and the X1 (well, I don´t like that thing haha)

#5 ·
I did a kind of straw poll on the forum where I moderate, and the MKC was the first pick with a majority of the people who posted. That's a good sign!

The X1 looks more like a wagon, the Q3 is as dull as dishwater, and the GLA also has wagon proportions. The MKC is definitely the looker!

#6 ·
What will be interesting to see with MB and BMW dipping into the sub $30k market, is how the entry customer base handles the cost of maintenance/repairs.

If you can barely afford the entry price, $200+ for an oil change, and $2,000 for tune up and new front break pads(parts alone cost $1,500), may drive them back to the brand they came from.

#7 ·
I did a kind of straw poll on the forum where I moderate, and the MKC was the first pick with a majority of the people who posted. That's a good sign!

The X1 looks more like a wagon, the Q3 is as dull as dishwater, and the GLA also has wagon proportions. The MKC is definitely the looker!
yes I saw your poll Dequindre, agree...the X1 is a wagon, the Q3 weird and the GLA is a tall A class (I like the A class, the GLA is a bit weird)

#8 ·
As much as I believe the MKC to be a quality product it would be absolutely misguided to believe that it will outsell the GLA which offers inexpensive lease payments, and the status of owning a Mercedes Benz. Many CLA buyers are Mercedes owners today simply because of two things. One being that it is a Mercedes Benz, and two being that it starts at $299 a month.

#9 ·
As much as I believe the MKC to be a quality product it would be absolutely misguided to believe that it will outsell the GLA which offers inexpensive lease payments, and the status of owning a Mercedes Benz. Many CLA buyers are Mercedes owners today simply because of two things. One being that it is a Mercedes Benz, and two being that it starts at $299 a month.
I'm not sure of that. The MK C is bigger than the GLA, with almost the same range of price. I hope the MK C will sell very good.
Another thing is sure: the GLA will be the most popular Mercedes-Benz in USA in history. The CLA customers warm reception is a clear indication that small FWD Mercedes-Benz could be a great success.

#10 ·
Agreed, germeezy1. While by many measures the MKC is probably close to the top of the class (if not THE top), that isn't always enough. If it was, the Corolla would have been discontinued ages ago. Everything factored in, Mercedes is going to be hard to beat with the GLA. That said, I have no worries that the MKC will be a big success too. Nice to see that Lincoln has a vehicle to go directly head-to-head with the big boys.

#12 ·
I'm not sure of that. The MK C is bigger than the GLA, with almost the same range of price. I hope the MK C will sell very good.
Another thing is sure: the GLA will be the most popular Mercedes-Benz in USA in history. The CLA customers warm reception is a clear indication that small FWD Mercedes-Benz could be a great success.
Notice if you will that I never said that the MKC will be a failure, and I only asserted that it would be quite unreasonable to expect a new product from a recently renewed luxury brand to truly challenge the GLA.

#13 ·
Notice if you will that I never said that the MKC will be a failure, and I only asserted that it would be quite unreasonable to expect a new product from a recently renewed luxury brand to truly challenge the GLA.
Notice if you will that Falcon NEVER SAID YOU DID.
But you certainly would have loved to I bet.

#14 ·
The GLA has a Mercedes badge, but people overwhelmingly prefer the MKC's styling.

#15 ·
Notice if you will that Falcon NEVER SAID YOU DID.
But you certainly would have loved to I bet.
Why don't you stop 'betting' on what he's going to say? We can all read his posts and make up our own minds, you're going out of your way to start something out of nothing here.

#16 ·
Why don't you stop 'betting' on what he's going to say? We can all read his posts and make up our own minds, you're going out of your way to start something out of nothing here.
Which is obvious because I have him blocked, and never respond to what he says but yet when others quote him I see the same old tired rants of bias. Very odd that someone who owns a Ford vehicle, and a Lincoln/ Mercury vehicle as well as benefitting directly from the success of Ford (myself) would be so anti-Ford.

#20 ·
I went to the auto show last night and thought the GLA looked tiny and unimpressive around the other SUVs and crossovers. I certainly wouldn't classify it in the same class as the MKC as it is more of a lifted wagon than a crossover. It is much more similar to the BMW X1. The one thing I did love about it was the matte silver paint. I wish more manufacturers would offer finishes like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.