Ford Inside News banner

Chrysler 200 Sedan Replacement To Launch In January

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TurboS40 
#1 ·
Chrysler 200 Sedan Replacement To Launch In January

View attachment 3521

The current Chrysler 200 sedan will give its place to a brand new model in January, next year, according to a report from Autoweek. The publication says it obtained internal Chrysler documents indicating that production of the 2014 model year version of the current 200 will begin in July this year and come to a quick end in the second week of January 2014. The documents don't mention anything about the 200's Dodge sibling, the Avenger.
While a spokesman from the Detroit carmaker declined to comment on the report, the company's CEO Sergio Marchionne recently said the presentation of the new 200 has been delayed until January next year.

The new model, which will likely keep the 200 moniker and debut at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show, will ride on a modified version of the CUSW platform used on the Dodge Dart that was jointly-developed with Fiat, and will come with new features, including a nine-speed automatic transmission driving the front wheels.

More at article, including photos:

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/03/chrysler-200-sedan-replacement-to.html

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if it will be RWD

#3 ·
This launch will tell us if Chrysler will attempt to be a premium/luxury make, or stay positioned in the mainstream.

If Dodge does not get a version, Chrysler will have to be all things to all people in the midsized market.

#4 ·
^ & ^^
umm...
"nine-speed automatic transmission driving the front wheels"
...wonder if it'll offer AWD
&
"will ride on a modified version of the CUSW platform used on the Dodge Dart"
...I recently sat the Dart for the first time & liked the "package" if not 1/2 of the interior
tho it WAS a bit too big for my preference

imho the size categories are shifting (again)
with a mid-180**s inches car becoming the new standard/midsizer
** 3-series, Dart, ...

wonder what Ford will do about that assumption?
- a Focus on the Grand C-Max's 109.8 wlb?
- a shrunk CD4?

& imho
Chrysler needs to move back up market & far(ther) enough (IF they CAN) to pre-compete/herald MERCURY (the *fun*/Lux side of Lincoln)

#5 ·
Interesting that the current 200 even sells as well as it does given tht it looks like a tick about to pop. Mixed feelings about the next 200 being Dart-based. My daughter was looking for a new car the end of Feb and we drove the Dart Aero. The ride was very harsh. The interior plastic was very chintzy on the doors and dash. She didn't like the shifter for whatever reason and the salesman was a jerk. Didn't get to drive the Focus because she didn't like the interior layout. I tried to push for the Ford but it didn't work unfortunately. Anything GM was not even under consideration being she was unloading the Cobalt. ( I made sure of that) She ended up buying the Mazda 3 sedan with the SkyActiv motor. The ride was decent and the interior had top quality materials compared to the Dodge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.