Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln Previews MkC with NAIAS Bound Concept

43K views 92 replies 29 participants last post by  nruggiero 
#1 ·
The Rebounding of a brand: Part Two
FordInsideNews
January 13, 2013
By: Austin Rutherford

Just one short year ago, we received our first glimpse on the restyling the Lincoln brand would aspire too. That was shown in the MkZ Concept, which previewed the production MkZ very closely. However, this vehicle was compromised design-wise. Max Wolff, Lincoln's new lead designer, had only been able to change a few points on the car, mainly the grill. Now comes a complete effort: The MkC Concept.

The MkC Concept is truly the first Max Wolff designed vehicle and carries his vision for mixing tradition with modern themes. Like the MkZ, the grill carries the modern spreading bird wing grill with the traditional central sternum. Moving along the sides, the character lines appear to be stronger than any Lincoln in years and give the vehicle the appearance of a lower stance. The tail end also carries the traditional full length taillights, but with a slimmer modern design. Noticeably lacking on the back again is the Lincoln Star. Instead "LINCOLN" is prominently written instead a crevice created by the thinning of the taillights.

Noticeable in the packaging of the vehicle is that the overhangs compared to the Escape, from which is shares its platform, are much smaller. This leads to a sporty stance that almost makes it look like it comes be rear wheel drive. This is also helped by what appears to be longer door openings.

Flying into the interior, the overall design appears mostly carryover from the 2013 MkZ. Once again, the shifter has been replaced by buttons on the dash. The concept also has a full length panoramic vista roof, though we do not know if the production MkC will carry an MkZ-like glass roof that opens onto the back window. The back seat features captain chairs that will most likely be replaced by seating for three for production. Overall, the interior looks very production, which it should. The interior features real wood inlays with a healthy dose of aluminum. An artistic arrangement on the door panels can be seen where the elbow fits into the door.

The MkC will Lincoln's smallest offering yet and is hoping to crack into the lucrative luxury CUV market for the first time. In order to do that, it must offer features that are expected and even some of its own. This is where the "Lincoln Experiences" will come into play, which will combine "features, such as push-button transmission engagement, programmable ride control, unique and diverse powertrains, personalized lighting, and a suite of customizable functions that are unique for each client as the vehicle instantly recognizes the operator and creates a personalized welcoming sequence."

No engines were announced with the concept, but Lincoln did promise that there would be power train options.

With only a month under its belt, the Lincoln Motor Company is hard at work. The question just remains: will it be enough? Time will time and successful launches will prove their worth. Lincoln hopes for an increase of 18 percent in 2013 to start it off. Added to that, Lincoln will launch four all-new vehicles in the next four years in luxury's highest growing segments.

Expect to see the production version of the MkC at the New York International Auto Show later this year with production starting in October of this year at Louisville Assembly.

MKC Concept New Opportunity for Lincoln

> Lincoln MKC Concept debuts at 2013 North American International Auto
Show – Lincoln’s first-ever small vehicle

> Small luxury utility concept signals future Lincoln entry into industry’s
fastest-growing segment

> MKC Concept introduces the “Lincoln Experiences” suite of technology and
signature content to enhance the driving and ownership experience

DETROIT, Jan. 13, 2013 – Lincoln today introduces the MKC Concept, a vision of how Lincoln will enter the industry’s fastest-growing small luxury utility segment.

With nearly 60 percent growth in 2012 and more than 200 percent in the last four years, the small luxury utility segment has far eclipsed all other luxury segments. The opportunity is a key next step in Lincoln’s strategy to grow with four all-new vehicles targeted at the highest-growth segments over the next four years.

“We are reinventing Lincoln by focusing on the largest and fastest-growing segments of the luxury market, while offering clients something different,” said Jim Farley, executive vice president of Global Marketing, Sales and Service and Lincoln. “The just-introduced MKZ re-establishes Lincoln in the largest luxury segment, and the MKC Concept highlights a key opportunity in the fastest-growing part of the luxury market.”

This segment growth is being driven at both ends of the demographic spectrum. Many new buyers are coming into affluence and purchasing their first luxury vehicle. Others are moving from larger vehicles to smaller ones to simplify their lives. This growth includes China, where Lincoln will begin selling in the second half of 2014 through independent dealers.

Creating ‘Lincoln Experiences’
Lincoln is being reinvented in every way – from a complete new lineup of stunningly designed vehicles to how dealerships provide surprising personal client services and how drivers engage with their vehicles. The goal is to appeal to a new type of luxury clients considered cultural progressives, who are open to new ideas and experiences.

In current and future vehicles, these “Lincoln Experiences” will include a variety of distinctive features, such as push-button transmission engagement, programmable ride control, unique and diverse powertrains, personalized lighting, and a suite of customizable functions that are unique for each client as the vehicle instantly recognizes the operator and creates a personalized welcoming sequence.

Future Lincolns also will combine these unique experiences with the option of stunning, bespoke interior and exterior design appointments that will transcend typical luxury automotive standards, furthering the brand’s transformation. The MKC Concept explores many of these transformative ideas.

Exterior design
The MKC Concept builds on the foundation of the Lincoln Design DNA found in the new MKZ. These warm, open and inviting design cues are a core element of the brand’s heritage.

“The MKC Concept has a wonderful stance and sits beautifully on its wheels,” said Murat Gueler, MKC Concept lead exterior designer. “It has a sleek, sculpted body and wheel arches and elegant shoulders. The lines of the vehicle appear relatively simple on first look but with a second view reveal a dynamic three dimensionality.

“The Lincoln design team has done an outstanding job with the MKC Concept in communicating Lincoln’s design vision for reaching a new and discerning clientele.”

An uninterrupted, highly crafted rear-view appearance highlights the signature full-width taillamps. This is made possible by a liftgate design with a side-view cutline – a Lincoln first. It shows how the dedicated Lincoln design and engineering teams have worked together to deliver customer-focused solutions that not only elevate the appearance, but also provide maximum load capability.

“This approach eliminates the traditional vertical cutline on the rear seen on utilities, which in turn contributes to the athletic presence of the vehicle,” Gueler said.

The continuity also is apparent in the execution of the frameless windows, which amplify the richness of the design, as does the signature split-wing grille. The exterior is augmented by warm, cream-based white metallic tri-coat paint, 20-inch premium wheels with polished chrome rims, and a large fixed panoramic roof that runs the length of the vehicle.

Interior design, colors and materials
High-end bespoke design, materials and execution inspire the four-passenger interior.

“There is a significant upgrade in materials and a stylish, fashion-oriented package. The materials are combined with progressive combinations and uses of stitching and colors,” said Soo Kang, Lincoln interior design chief.

Just like MKZ – which sets the tone for the brand’s thoughtful new approach to design – the MKC Concept features a distinct push-button gear shift selector. This enables a flowing, expressive and architectural center console design covered with riveting details, and unique colors and materials.

The headliner is wrapped with high-end material, providing a warm and luxurious feel. The pillars are wrapped with premium leather. The seats also feature premium leather and include a unique embroidered Lincoln Star and crimson stitch accents.

The Lincoln Star lattice also is subtly placed on the MKC Concept’s floor mats to complement the lattice design in the speaker mesh, light fixtures and lug-nut covers.

The smooth leather also wraps the door trim uppers, armrests, bolsters, console side rails, instrument panel and cargo area.

“There is a rich softness to the exterior and interior palette of the MKC Concept,” said Susan Lampinen, group chief designer, Color & Material Design. “The leather-wrapped architecture complements the open-pore and designer hand-dyed woods.”

Other refined details include finishes like appliqués cut from layers of reconstructed natural wood infused with a metallic flake for a glistening effect on the steering wheel, upper instrument panel and door panels.

See less See more
#28 ·
I love the vent in the middle. Interior, Exterior, it all looks good.
love the vents too!! - esp that the chrome+ accents are the vanes themselves, not a frame around it

- mentioned the embossed leather already (nitpick: maybe too much used, maybe I'd prefer a more uniform 'repeat') (see prismatic)

- WHAT is that indent at the bottom of the doors? HOW can that be translated to production? (tho do think that gives a lot of the off-roadable vibe I get)

- still don't like the ribcage grille

- now think it doesn't 'go' with the shoulder sculpting (**love**Love**LOVE** the shoulder sculpting!)(ribcage too angular)

- also (if the shoulder sculpting
is intro'ing a rounder, smooth general-styling
), the more angular separation of the dark rocker 'cladding' isn't quite cohesive either
(& I still 'question' using dark rockers)

- quibble: the way the shoulder sculpting transitions to the HL/TLs

- the A-pillars' "hood-spurs" need (some) work

- center hood bulge is 'promising'

- otoh, the center hood Crease (if I see it correctly: slight-then-pronounced) is PERFECT
...tho still want to see an indent version

- front lower fascia needs work

- (lipstick)tubular grille elements = most interesting adaptation/fillip I can remember seeing
Max
tho I still don't like the ribcage it's applied to
& would *Love* to see what he could do to the actual aero-grille shutters as exposed elements

- think the "X" motif in the rear styling (hatch: licenseplate indent & betwn the TLs) is an interesting sorta-prismatic interpretation of a Conti-sparetire hump re-
Max
wonder how it will translate to production?

- thinking "prismatic" & mirroring effects might be a Max 'knack'

#29 ·
The A3 is an compact hatchback, not a CUV though...
which means its styling is WORSE imho
(also
I look at the MKC as Lincoln's "contender" against ANY smallish vehicle)

By the way, did you notice the similar looking tailgate design with the entire tail lights mounted on it?
was pointed out elsewhere (maybe by you?)

- quibble: did you notice how small the actual opening is?

edit
keep forgetting to post this

#31 ·
which means its styling is WORSE imho
Imho, I think the A3's styling is ok for what it is, nothing special or great, but not bad either. Within the Audi lineup, I prefer the styling/proportions of the bigger Audis.

- quibble: did you notice how small the actual opening is?
Yes I did. Looks like they did it just for looks, no actual advantage with the design.

#34 ·
We all miss Mercury.
But is it worth hating on every Lincoln that comes along?

This is a good looking CUV, far better than any Mercury, ever. Heck, even extreme GM fans love this styling.
I don't hate every Lincoln that comes along. I loved the 2009-2012 MKS it was beautiful I also like the current MKX and before I purchased my Milan I almost got a Dark Blue Pearl 2007 Lincoln MKZ with Sand leather interior that was used as a dealer demo because it was an absolutely gorgeous car but I just couldn't stand to leave the Mercury Brand after owning such great Mercury products before. As I have said before I like Lincoln ''the brand'' but when it comes to the styling of their new offerings I just can't come to like them. As far as the MKC Concept looking better than any Mercury ever that's a matter of taste and it is a very interesting argument. And I mean this in the nicest way but I couldn't care less what GM fans think about the styling of the MKC.

#36 ·
Stunning!!!! PLEASE Lincoln, don't change the looks. This is gorgeous. You do not need to "tone it down" in production form. Leave the rear hatch like it is. Heck, even offer the white interior. Reward Max's effort by allowing them to make into production. This is the first Lincoln I have been excited about since the Mark VII.

#38 ·
Audi must be the model to follow for Lincoln: a luxo brand based on a mainstream cars platform with FWD. Audi cars are based (all of them) in a Volkswagen platform.

The design is very atractive and modern. I agree, has something from Audi and Aston Martín , but that is ok for me. This car will be a succes!
I think it looks a lot like the Range Rover Evok, only prettier.

#41 ·
Audi must be the model to follow for Lincoln: a luxo brand based on a mainstream cars platform with FWD. Audi cars are based (all of them) in a Volkswagen platform.
Not all, most VW/Audi cars larger than the Golf/ A3 do not share platforms.
Audis use longitudinally mounted engines and their AWD Quattro system (Torsen) is RWD-biased, Audis usually have less weight on the nose compared to VWs with a similar size engine (This engine layout allows the front wheels to be pushed forward toward the corners improving the weight distribution and handling dynamics)

Most VWs have transverse engines, and their AWD 4motion systems (Haldex) are FWD-biased.

The design is very atractive and modern. I agree, has something from Audi and Aston Martín , but that is ok for me. This car will be a succes!
Same here, I don't mind the smilarities, specially at the rear, since they all look nice.
I have to say, i'm more impressed with this MKC concept than with the MKZ concept from last year, lets just hope the production version stays close to the concept.

Will Lincoln follow the same concept to production cycle as the MKZ? Will the production version also be unveiled at the New York auto show?

#42 ·
The interior looks great.
I really like the back end, except for how it bumps in so much above the taillights.
I really hope they smoothe out or eliminate the shoulder ridge on the sides. That look is just too generic now, and reminds me of Nissan or Hyundia.
The C-pillar should be more upright, and the window much larger. The blindspot must be huge.
The front grill looks better here than on the MKZ, but...well...we've seen it already, and it doesn't look upscale enough.
The little details do help the exterior, but when I see the vehicle form the side, I just don't see Lincoln.

#43 ·
The reveal photos today give me a better feeling. The grill looks better integrated and upscale from these angles.
I am still at odds with the shoulders and the small c-pillar window.

#45 ·
From Autoblog:

The showcar is expected to closely mirror the production model (due as early as later this year), so much so that Ford global marketing boss Jim Farley explicitly told the press conference masses, "When you see the MKC, do not think concept."
EXCELLENT

#47 ·
Amazing design. I hope the power liftgate makes it to production as is. Everything about this vehicle says first class all the way.

The original Concept C has come a long way to becoming a reality. Similar to how the original '36 Zephyr came to life. The Briggs-bodied Zephyr and Concept C show cars were odd looking for their time. The production '36 Zephyr came to life looking much better. The same can be said for the new near production MKC.

Can't wait to see the next MKX and MKS.

Congrats to all.

#48 ·
When I had a glimpse into Ford’s product future years ago, before Mulally arrived even, I was very bullish, and voiced that excitement on forums like this over and over and far above the occasional negative remarks otherwise. Looking back now, I would say my enthusiasm was justified.

Well, I am even more bullish on Lincoln’s future. The team is in place. The commitment is stronger than ever. Product is on the way.

#49 ·
The reveal photos today give me a better feeling. The grill looks better integrated and upscale from these angles.
I am still at odds with the shoulders and the small c-pillar window.
LINK???

as I said I *love* the shoulders but wonder how much will be on the production cuvlet
&but
I dislike most-all C-pillar windows just because imho they're functionLESS due to the thick doorframes blocking any view thru them from the driverseat;
would rather see them tucked onto the door itself (also making it easier for the door-window to roll all the way down!)

#50 ·
We all miss Mercury.
But is it worth hating on every Lincoln that comes along?

This is a good looking CUV, far better than any Mercury, ever. Heck, even extreme GM fans love this styling.
I agree with Mercury & Buick Fan. As for Me, I can't afford to buy a Lincoln. The Lincoln may look great. The botton line is I can't afford to buy a Lincoln. The Mercury was priced where I could afford it. The Merc looked better than Ford. My friends mostly have Hondas. I didn't want to go there, but they are affordable. I may buy a Ford if they ever come out with a Thunderbird.

#51 ·
The interior looks great.
I really like the back end, except for how it bumps in so much above the taillights.
I really hope they smoothe out or eliminate the shoulder ridge on the sides. That look is just too generic now, and reminds me of Nissan or Hyundia.
The C-pillar should be more upright, and the window much larger. The blindspot must be huge.
The front grill looks better here than on the MKZ, but...well...we've seen it already, and it doesn't look upscale enough.
The little details do help the exterior, but when I see the vehicle form the side, I just don't see Lincoln.

Ok, so, you want another enterely different car!... I think this concept looks very good... is a Lincoln? i dont know... what is a Lincoln today? What is a Lincoln in the century 21? Lincoln never was a compact crossover... but that kind of car is the volume seller in the near luxury market... so, Lincoln must make a good compact crossover to compete...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.