Ford Inside News banner

NEW 1.5 EcoBoost debuts in Mondeo-China - Media.Ford

12K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·
Ford Debuts All-New Mondeo in Asia; Flagship Redefines Segment with Premium Design, Advanced Tech and Latest 1.5-litre EcoBoost Engine - Media.Ford.com

• All-new Ford Mondeo unveiled in China, showing a striking silhouette outlined by new global design language and a high-quality interior that delivers superior craftsmanship that rivals premium competitors
• With a comprehensive list of cutting-edge technologies, including Lane Keeping System, adaptive cruise control, inflatable rear seatbelts, and SYNC with MyFord Touch® in Mandarin, the all-new Mondeo delivers features customers truly want and value
• The latest member of the global EcoBoost family – a 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine – will debut on all-new Mondeo, offering first-rate fuel economy

BEIJING, Apr. 2, 2013 – Ford continues to aggressively expand its growing line-up in China with the classy all-new global Mondeo, which rewrites benchmarks in the midsize segment with its expressive design, luxury technologies, class-leading safety and top fuel economy.

Built on Ford’s global C/D-segment platform, the refined Ford flagship is one of the 15 global vehicles that the company has promised to bring to the country by 2015. Featuring a sleek silhouette and fresh face, the all-new Ford Mondeo will be available as a four-door sedan in Asia.

The Mondeo will be the first car in its segment to be equipped with a 1.5-litre powertrain, the brand-new 1.5-litre EcoBoost petrol engine, to deliver class-leading fuel economy. It will also be the first Ford vehicle to be equipped with the innovative 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine...

...Brand-new global EcoBoost engine

The new 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine will debut on the all-new Mondeo. It is the fifth and latest member to join Ford’s global family of EcoBoost engines, which includes a 1.0-litre three-cylinder, 1.6- and 2.0-litre four-cylinders, and two 3.5-litre V6 variants.

Ford’s EcoBoost technology, which holds more than 125 patents, combines direct fuel injection, turbocharging and variable valve timing to enable a downsized engine to gain fuel economy by up to 20 percent over larger engines with no loss of performance.

The 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine is projected to produce 132 kW of power at 6,000 rpm and peak torque of 240 Nm from 1,500 to 4,500 rpm. It includes an integrated intake manifold and water-cooled charge air cooler, which allows for a more efficient feed of air into the engine, and a clutch-controlled water pump that delivers fuel efficiencies by reducing the warm up time of the engine. The engine also features specific technologies to reduce noise, vibration and harshness, delivering an engine that is quiet and refined.

Other than the 1.5-litre EcoBoost powerplant, the all-new Mondeo will also be available with the 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine, which serves up 170 kW of power at 5,500 rpm and 340 Nm of peak torque at 4,000 rpm. Both engines will be mated with Ford’s fuel-efficient six-speed automatic transmission...

MORE...

See less See more
#3 ·
^ George, the announcement doesn't spell it out (unless I'm missing it) but the 1.5 is/oughta be a 3 cylinder
&
as I mentioned in the EcoBoost Predictions thread probably will get a HiPo version good for 210hp
+
the 4cyl 1.6 is still gen1,
I expect it will get upgraded to gen2 as well (in-head exhaust plumbing afaik) & possibly a minor displacement increase (plasma-coat instead of cylinder sleeves?)
AND
I'm kinda thinking that will be the Lincoln alternative to Ford's 3 cylinder EBs ... for most markets
(just guessing)

#6 ·
Why 1,5 and 1,6 lt ecoboost engines??? They are too close in size... maybe the 1,5 is a new gen ecoboost engine that is more powerfull than the "old" 1,6???
My guess it was cheaper to use the existing 1.5L already sold in the area. The turbo unit is probably the same.

#7 ·
Why 1,5 and 1,6 lt ecoboost engines??? They are too close in size... maybe the 1,5 is a new gen ecoboost engine that is more powerfull than the "old" 1,6???
The 1.5 is a new gen EcoBoost engine since its based on the new gen 1.0 3-cylinder EcoBoost.
It produces 177hp and 240Nm of torque. The 1.6 EcoBoost doesn't seem to be part of the Chinese Mondeo range though, since the only other engine they mention is the 2.0 EcoBoost.
It’s at the upper threshold of the three-pot’s design displacement limit, which has a maximum capacity of 500 cc per cylinder. The 1.5 litre EcoBoost offers 177 hp at 6,000 rpm and peak torque of 240 Nm from 1,500 to 4,500 rpm. The unit includes an integrated intake manifold and water-cooled charge air cooler, which allows for a more efficient feed of air into the engine, as well as a clutch-controlled water pump.

Other than the new 1.5 litre job, the Mondeo will also get the 2.0 litre EcoBoost unit for the Chinese market, though the unit has a slightly detuned power output of 228 hp at 5,500 rpm and 340 Nm at 4,000 rpm.
- http://paultan.org/2013/04/04/new-ecoboost-engine-debuts-on-ford-mondeo/

#8 ·
The 1.5 is a new gen EcoBoost engine since its based on the new gen 1.0 3-cylinder EcoBoost.
It produces 177hp and 240Nm of torque. The 1.6 EcoBoost doesn't seem to be part of the Chinese Mondeo range though, since the only other engine they mention is the 2.0 EcoBoost.

- http://paultan.org/2013/04/04/new-ecoboost-engine-debuts-on-ford-mondeo/
Ok... 3 cyl engine. That explain everything. This 3 cyl dont let much live to the old 1,6 ecoboost.... is cheaper and more fuel efficient and more powerful.... actually, is killing the "big" brother

#11 ·
Oh, if its a I3, thats different. I assumed it was the I4.
Same here, since all EcoBoost engines before this was derived from an NA engine (1.0, 1.6, 2.0, 3.5) and the only 1.5 I know off is the 4-cylinder Ti-VCT available in India, China, Thailand and soon the rest of ASEAN and Europe (EcoSport).

Yes, even the 1.0 3-cylinder Ecoboost has a 80PS (79hp) naturally-aspirated version in Europe that comes with Auto Start-Stop.

#13 ·
^ George, the announcement doesn't spell it out (unless I'm missing it) but the 1.5 is/oughta be a 3 cylinder
&
as I mentioned in the EcoBoost Predictions thread probably will get a HiPo version good for 210hp
+
the 4cyl 1.6 is still gen1,
I expect it will get upgraded to gen2 as well (in-head exhaust plumbing afaik) & possibly a minor displacement increase (plasma-coat instead of cylinder sleeves?)
AND
I'm kinda thinking that will be the Lincoln alternative to Ford's 3 cylinder EBs ... for most markets
(just guessing)
This could make sense, 1.5L I3 and a 2.0L I4 would use all the same internals

#14 ·
This could make sense, 1.5L I3 and a 2.0L I4 would use all the same internals
yup
tho what that implies imho (& I expect) is that gen2 2.0EB could be largely new
(there a video with an engineer iirc who said first gen EB's didn't necessarily have "ideal" bore-vs-stroke);
maybe just the pre-milled engine block being re-used, IF that can be shared with the 2.3
sorta-But
imho a smaller 4cyl for Lincoln (1.6-1.75) is still a good idea considering
- #1, I'm definitely not ready to see a 3cyl in any LINCOLN!!
- gen2 EB's will make 140hp-per-liter
- plasma-coating shouldn't be cost-prohibitive for Lincolns
- could be short-term use OR
- could be used more widely IF aluminum will be brought to small Lincolns
- if Mercury does indeed RETURN (tho I didn't originally intend it, wound up using it in 5 out of my proposed 8 Mercs, more than any other engine)

#15 ·
It looks like the 1.5L 3-cylinder is coming as an option for the US Fusion for 2014.

Based on the 2014 Order Guide:

1.5L 3-Cylinder Engine with 6 speed Select Shift automatic - late availability

This will be optional on SE along with the 1.6L, the 2.5L I4 is still standard
The 1.6L looses the automatic start-stop tech while the the 1.5L gets it

With 177hp and 177lb-ft torque, compared with the 1.6L 4-cylinder at 178/184 it's projected to get 20% better fuel economy and should offer at least 27+/40+ hwy mpg. This should also be available on the Focus with the same 20% mpg increase.

#16 ·
Maybe it will replace all 1,6 ecoboost uses... maybe we will see it in the midlevel Fusion in USA

It looks like the 1.5L 3-cylinder is coming as an option for the US Fusion for 2014.

With 177hp and 177lb-ft torque, compared with the 1.6L 4-cylinder at 178/184 it's projected to get 20% better fuel economy and should offer at least 27+/40+ hwy mpg. This should also be available on the Focus with the same 20% mpg increase.

#17 ·

Confirmed! will be a midlevel option for Fusion by 2014. A smart move... but why keep the 1,6 lt 4 cyl??' The same power, less mpg, more money??' I suspect in 2015 the 1,6 will be definitly axed in favor of the 1,5 I3

#18 ·
Please remember that the repugnant and oppressive CAFE standards are coming soon for the US market and we'll be seeing more engines like this in bigger vehicles and fewer V-8's. Some people don't want us to be able to engine the engines of our choice and think they know better.

#19 ·
Ford confirms 1.5 liter EcoBoost four cylinder for 2014 Fusion

Earlier this week, reports were swirling 'round the internet about the 2014 Ford Fusion getting a new 1.5-liter three-cylinder EcoBoost engine. That was... half correct. Ford today confirmed that the 2014 Fusion is, in fact, getting a new 1.5-liter EcoBoost mill, but it has four cylinders, not three.

The new 1.5-liter engine will be the fifth EcoBoost powerplant from Ford Motor Company. Initially to be built at the automaker's Craiova, Romania plant, it will also be offered in the Fusion's twin, the Mondeo, in other markets. This engine will debut at the Shanghai Motor Show next month, and the 1.5-liter is of particular importance in the Chinese market – there is significant tax relief in the People's Republic for vehicles powered by engines with a capacity of 1.5 liters or less.

At a media briefing Thursday, Ford declined to divulge exact power or fuel economy numbers, though Joe Bakaj, vice president of powertrain engineering, told Autoblog that power output should be similar to that of the current 1.6-liter inline-four, and that overall efficiency will be "better than the 1.6."...

More:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/11/ford-confirms-1-5-liter-ecoboost-four-cylinder-engine-for-2014-f/

The Ford press release follows the article.

#21 ·
Re: Ford confirms 1.5 loter EcoBoost four cylinder for 2014 Fusion

What???? No 3 cyl engine at all ??? That have no sense.....
If you look at the current EcoBoost engines, notice they all have naturally aspirated versions?

1.0 EcoBoost (Yes, this has a naturally aspirated 79hp version with Auto Start-Stop for the european Fiesta)
1.6 EcoBoost
2.0 EcoBoost
3.5 EcoBoost

It only makes sense that Ford would base the 1.5 EcoBoost on their 4-cylinder block.
A naturally aspirated 1.5 liter Ti-VCT 4-cylinder engine is available in China, India, Thailand and soon the rest of ASEAN and Europe (EcoSport).

#22 ·
Ford: New EcoBoost to fuel China sales

Ford: New EcoBoost to fuel China sales
Automotive News
April 15, 2013
by Bradford Wernle

DETROIT -- China gets part of the credit for Ford Motor Co.'s newest EcoBoost engine, a 1.5-liter powerplant.

Why that size? China gives car buyers a roughly $300 tax break for buying a vehicle with an engine of 1.5 liters or less, says Joe Bakaj, vice president of powertrain engineering.

That's an indication of how important China has become to Ford, which is expanding rapidly there. The 1.5-liter EcoBoost will launch at almost the same time on the 2014 Fusion in the United States and the 2014 Mondeo in China.

The Chinese tax break isn't the only reason for the 1.5-liter, the fifth in the EcoBoost family of engines, which use turbocharging and direct injection to boost output and reduce emissions.

An engine shortage has hampered sales of the Fusion, one of Ford's hottest vehicles. At the start of the 2014 Fusion launch, Ford will offer the 1.5- and 1.6-liter EcoBoost engines, along with a 2.0-liter EcoBoost. The 1.6-liter engine will be phased out in the Fusion. Ford expects the 1.5-liter to be the Fusion's volume engine.

Full article available at link.

#23 ·
Car giant Ford confirms £24m investment in new fuel efficient engine at its plant in Bridgend which safeguards 2,300 jobs - WalesOnline.co.UK
The £24m investment at Ford's Bridgend plant is being backed with non repayable finance of £12m from the Welsh Government

By Sion Barry
22 Apr 2013

...Ford Bridgend produces 2,668 four-cylinder engines each day, with exports to Spain, Sweden, Germany, Russia, Belgium and the USA...

...The Bridgend plant will be the long term European production base for the new 1.5-litre EcoBoost engine. When production starts in 2014 it will be ramped up over the following two years to ensure that the plant's output is maintained at optimum capacity during this period...

...The new engine will be built alongside the 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine, which was introduced in 2011...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I merged the most recent 1.5 engine threads
and here's the rumor-foreshadowing thread from last November
that made it sound like it would be a 3 cylinder:

Ford's EcoBoost three-cylinder could grow to 1.5L, 200hp

#24 ·
COLOGNE, Germany, April 12, 2013 – Ford Motor Company today announced a new 1.5-litre EcoBoost petrol engine will join its line-up of fuel-efficient, innovative powertrains. The 1.5-litre engine is a key strategic entry for Ford, as the company works to meet the strong global demand for its four-cylinder EcoBoost engines.

Production of the four-cylinder 1.5-litre EcoBoost – the fifth member of the EcoBoost family – will commence initially at Ford’s world-class facility in Craiova, Romania, later this month.

With other report saying that Bridgend will be the main lead plant for all of Europe, this info reads that Craiova plant will supply China and North America.

#25 ·
2014 Ford Fusion with 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine has 178 bhp - WorldCarFans
Jun 8, 2013 7:40 am By Adrian Padeanu

Following an announcement made in April, Ford has disclosed output specifications of the 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine powering the 2014 Fusion.

The four-cylinder, 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine has an aluminum block and head with twin independent variable camshaft timing. It produces 178 bhp (133 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 177 lb-ft (240 Nm) of torque available between 1,500 and 4,500 rpm. Fuel economy figures are not available at the moment.

This new engine will be manufactured at Ford's plant in Craiova, Romania and it matches the 178 bhp output of the 1.6-liter EcoBoost mill. However, the larger engine has a slightly higher peak torque of 184 lb-ft (249 Nm) but from 2,500 rpm. It should be noted the new 1.5-liter EcoBoost will replace the 1.6-liter EcoBoost in the 2014 Fusion equipped with a six-speed automatic gearbox. The 1.6-liter EcoBoost will still be available if you opt for the six-speed manual transmission.

Aside from these two engines, the 2014 Ford Fusion can also be had with a 4-cylinder, 2.5-liter engine generating 175 bhp (130 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 170 lb-ft (230 Nm) at 4,500 rpm. There's also a more powerful 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter EcoBoost which churns 240 bhp (179 kW) at 5,500 rpm and 270 lb-ft (365 Nm) at 3,000 rpm. Ford is offering a six-speed automatic for the 2.5-liter and a SelectShift automatic for the 2.0-liter EcoBoost.
Source: Ford
^^^^^^^^so I posted the whole article

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.