Ford Inside News banner

Lincoln Previews MkC with NAIAS Bound Concept

43K views 92 replies 29 participants last post by  nruggiero 
#1 ·
The Rebounding of a brand: Part Two
FordInsideNews
January 13, 2013
By: Austin Rutherford

Just one short year ago, we received our first glimpse on the restyling the Lincoln brand would aspire too. That was shown in the MkZ Concept, which previewed the production MkZ very closely. However, this vehicle was compromised design-wise. Max Wolff, Lincoln's new lead designer, had only been able to change a few points on the car, mainly the grill. Now comes a complete effort: The MkC Concept.

The MkC Concept is truly the first Max Wolff designed vehicle and carries his vision for mixing tradition with modern themes. Like the MkZ, the grill carries the modern spreading bird wing grill with the traditional central sternum. Moving along the sides, the character lines appear to be stronger than any Lincoln in years and give the vehicle the appearance of a lower stance. The tail end also carries the traditional full length taillights, but with a slimmer modern design. Noticeably lacking on the back again is the Lincoln Star. Instead "LINCOLN" is prominently written instead a crevice created by the thinning of the taillights.

Noticeable in the packaging of the vehicle is that the overhangs compared to the Escape, from which is shares its platform, are much smaller. This leads to a sporty stance that almost makes it look like it comes be rear wheel drive. This is also helped by what appears to be longer door openings.

Flying into the interior, the overall design appears mostly carryover from the 2013 MkZ. Once again, the shifter has been replaced by buttons on the dash. The concept also has a full length panoramic vista roof, though we do not know if the production MkC will carry an MkZ-like glass roof that opens onto the back window. The back seat features captain chairs that will most likely be replaced by seating for three for production. Overall, the interior looks very production, which it should. The interior features real wood inlays with a healthy dose of aluminum. An artistic arrangement on the door panels can be seen where the elbow fits into the door.

The MkC will Lincoln's smallest offering yet and is hoping to crack into the lucrative luxury CUV market for the first time. In order to do that, it must offer features that are expected and even some of its own. This is where the "Lincoln Experiences" will come into play, which will combine "features, such as push-button transmission engagement, programmable ride control, unique and diverse powertrains, personalized lighting, and a suite of customizable functions that are unique for each client as the vehicle instantly recognizes the operator and creates a personalized welcoming sequence."

No engines were announced with the concept, but Lincoln did promise that there would be power train options.

With only a month under its belt, the Lincoln Motor Company is hard at work. The question just remains: will it be enough? Time will time and successful launches will prove their worth. Lincoln hopes for an increase of 18 percent in 2013 to start it off. Added to that, Lincoln will launch four all-new vehicles in the next four years in luxury's highest growing segments.

Expect to see the production version of the MkC at the New York International Auto Show later this year with production starting in October of this year at Louisville Assembly.

MKC Concept New Opportunity for Lincoln

> Lincoln MKC Concept debuts at 2013 North American International Auto
Show – Lincoln’s first-ever small vehicle

> Small luxury utility concept signals future Lincoln entry into industry’s
fastest-growing segment

> MKC Concept introduces the “Lincoln Experiences” suite of technology and
signature content to enhance the driving and ownership experience

DETROIT, Jan. 13, 2013 – Lincoln today introduces the MKC Concept, a vision of how Lincoln will enter the industry’s fastest-growing small luxury utility segment.

With nearly 60 percent growth in 2012 and more than 200 percent in the last four years, the small luxury utility segment has far eclipsed all other luxury segments. The opportunity is a key next step in Lincoln’s strategy to grow with four all-new vehicles targeted at the highest-growth segments over the next four years.

“We are reinventing Lincoln by focusing on the largest and fastest-growing segments of the luxury market, while offering clients something different,” said Jim Farley, executive vice president of Global Marketing, Sales and Service and Lincoln. “The just-introduced MKZ re-establishes Lincoln in the largest luxury segment, and the MKC Concept highlights a key opportunity in the fastest-growing part of the luxury market.”

This segment growth is being driven at both ends of the demographic spectrum. Many new buyers are coming into affluence and purchasing their first luxury vehicle. Others are moving from larger vehicles to smaller ones to simplify their lives. This growth includes China, where Lincoln will begin selling in the second half of 2014 through independent dealers.

Creating ‘Lincoln Experiences’
Lincoln is being reinvented in every way – from a complete new lineup of stunningly designed vehicles to how dealerships provide surprising personal client services and how drivers engage with their vehicles. The goal is to appeal to a new type of luxury clients considered cultural progressives, who are open to new ideas and experiences.

In current and future vehicles, these “Lincoln Experiences” will include a variety of distinctive features, such as push-button transmission engagement, programmable ride control, unique and diverse powertrains, personalized lighting, and a suite of customizable functions that are unique for each client as the vehicle instantly recognizes the operator and creates a personalized welcoming sequence.

Future Lincolns also will combine these unique experiences with the option of stunning, bespoke interior and exterior design appointments that will transcend typical luxury automotive standards, furthering the brand’s transformation. The MKC Concept explores many of these transformative ideas.

Exterior design
The MKC Concept builds on the foundation of the Lincoln Design DNA found in the new MKZ. These warm, open and inviting design cues are a core element of the brand’s heritage.

“The MKC Concept has a wonderful stance and sits beautifully on its wheels,” said Murat Gueler, MKC Concept lead exterior designer. “It has a sleek, sculpted body and wheel arches and elegant shoulders. The lines of the vehicle appear relatively simple on first look but with a second view reveal a dynamic three dimensionality.

“The Lincoln design team has done an outstanding job with the MKC Concept in communicating Lincoln’s design vision for reaching a new and discerning clientele.”

An uninterrupted, highly crafted rear-view appearance highlights the signature full-width taillamps. This is made possible by a liftgate design with a side-view cutline – a Lincoln first. It shows how the dedicated Lincoln design and engineering teams have worked together to deliver customer-focused solutions that not only elevate the appearance, but also provide maximum load capability.

“This approach eliminates the traditional vertical cutline on the rear seen on utilities, which in turn contributes to the athletic presence of the vehicle,” Gueler said.

The continuity also is apparent in the execution of the frameless windows, which amplify the richness of the design, as does the signature split-wing grille. The exterior is augmented by warm, cream-based white metallic tri-coat paint, 20-inch premium wheels with polished chrome rims, and a large fixed panoramic roof that runs the length of the vehicle.

Interior design, colors and materials
High-end bespoke design, materials and execution inspire the four-passenger interior.

“There is a significant upgrade in materials and a stylish, fashion-oriented package. The materials are combined with progressive combinations and uses of stitching and colors,” said Soo Kang, Lincoln interior design chief.

Just like MKZ – which sets the tone for the brand’s thoughtful new approach to design – the MKC Concept features a distinct push-button gear shift selector. This enables a flowing, expressive and architectural center console design covered with riveting details, and unique colors and materials.

The headliner is wrapped with high-end material, providing a warm and luxurious feel. The pillars are wrapped with premium leather. The seats also feature premium leather and include a unique embroidered Lincoln Star and crimson stitch accents.

The Lincoln Star lattice also is subtly placed on the MKC Concept’s floor mats to complement the lattice design in the speaker mesh, light fixtures and lug-nut covers.

The smooth leather also wraps the door trim uppers, armrests, bolsters, console side rails, instrument panel and cargo area.

“There is a rich softness to the exterior and interior palette of the MKC Concept,” said Susan Lampinen, group chief designer, Color & Material Design. “The leather-wrapped architecture complements the open-pore and designer hand-dyed woods.”

Other refined details include finishes like appliqués cut from layers of reconstructed natural wood infused with a metallic flake for a glistening effect on the steering wheel, upper instrument panel and door panels.

See less See more
#78 ·
I feel that Ford will be let down if Lincoln doesn't reach 18% sales increase this year. At the St. Louis Auto Show, few people were at the Lincoln display. I'll give it 2 to 5%. Wish them luck! I don't mind being wrong!
At my auto show I was quite saddened to realize that more people were looking at regular production cars than the MKZ rotating that had never been seen before in person by many.

#80 ·
#85 ·
I think they go into the experience with negativity so they come out of it with negativity...

I entirely agree that the MKC has the nicest looking presentation of this new front-end design scheme. I don't like it on the MKS at all. Otherwise, I may be out of the loop but I thought the MKX compared to the SRX. The MKC seems much smaller.
You're correct Sal, about the sizing. The MKX competes with the SRX. The MKC IS smaller. The MKS' grill looks WAY better in person than in pics! Plus all of the photos seam to have you look at the grill as though your squatting down looking at it, which is off putting. When your standing up looking at it, the shape looks a lot better and more cohesive. I didn't like it as much as the original at first, but it's grown on me much more with time. Plus seeing it in person really sealed the deal that it was a good update. I'm sure the next full redesign will be a knockout wth the way Lincoln's going with the new design theme.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#87 ·
View attachment 3402 It still doesn't do the grill justice in this pic but, it DOES look good in person.

I disagree having that black plastic behind the grille showing only that a part of it is actually open ruins the whole grille same with the MKT, however I think it looks better on the MKT. The MKS just does not look right at all.

#88 ·
View attachment 3402 It still doesn't do the grill justice in this pic but, it DOES look good in person.

When I first saw the pictures of the MKS grill, I was very negative. I then saw it at last year's auto show, up on a pedestal, and under the lights. I still thought it looked terrible. BUT...At this year's show, seeing it at ground level, I have to say I like it much better than before. In fact, seeing it next to the MKZ, I prefer the size and shape of the MKS grill, and how it seems to integrate into the front end better. It still could use some improvements. I do not like how Lincoln seperates the hood from the front, leaving a black line right in the middle front just under the logo. It should be lowered to be even with the bottom of the grill, and the logo should be lower and a couple sizes larger.

#89 ·
I disagree having that black plastic behind the grille showing only that a part of it is actually open ruins the whole grille same with the MKT, however I think it looks better on the MKT. The MKS just does not look right at all.
I think the black plastic should be set back a little more, and maybe a piano black insert would help too. As I said above though, it looks much better on the MKS in the real world. I haven't seen a new MKT on the street yet.

#90 ·
I think the black plastic should be set back a little more, and maybe a piano black insert would help too. As I said above though, it looks much better on the MKS in the real world. I haven't seen a new MKT on the street yet.
supergloss piano black is great idea imho, Logan!
I'd still like a Chrome+brushed metal for the ribs
but
as I've said, prolley too much, the thing I hate about the S & T grilles is that they don't go with the older OR newer grilles...
...since they vaguely resemble the original Cougar grille, I'd *have to* like them if they had been part of a cohesive look across the lineup - even if briefly - like just for 2012my
(I'd even have excused the Z from that AND let the Navi (& Cuvs) go with the mini-baleen until the nextgen(s)
BUT
really think the S has to co-ordinate with the Z IMMEDIATELY)
complain
complain
complain

#91 ·
I didn't notice the black plastic behind the grill as much as you seem to have. I saw it when I studied the grill but, it's not as glaring when your standing up looking at it as most people will be when viewing the car. I do think that it would be a nice option though to offer the grill in regular style chrome like the first gen. Maybe that would hide the black plastic behind it as well as give it a little more upscale appeal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.