Ford Inside News banner

Half of Ford Ranger owners looking to abandon Blue Oval

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  falcon lover 
#1 ·
By Andrew Ganz
Aug 20th, 2012
LLN

Ford Motor Company’s gamble to abandon the compact pickup segment in favor of expanding its full-size truck line could cost it about half of its Ford Ranger owners, a new report indicates.

Whether that’s considered a success or a failure for Ford is up for debate. When production of the Ranger ended late last year, Ford closed its St. Paul, Minnesota, assembly plant and it didn’t have to worry about developing a new truck for what has been a shrinking segment of the market, two moves that undoubtedly saved the Blue Oval money, at least over the short term.

However, TrueCar.com says that Ford overestimated the number of Ranger owners who would be willing to step up to the larger and more fuel-efficient F-150 V6.

A series of new powertrains arrived in the automaker’s flagship pickup in 2010. Among those was an entry-level 3.7-liter V6, which Ford had hoped would prove tempting to Ranger owners who bought their trucks primarily because of the lower price point and perceived better fuel economy.

“We do know that a good portion of would-be Ranger buyers are going to different brand,” Jesse Toprak, TrueCar.com’s vice president of industry analysis, told the Detroit News.. “Ford may have been too optimistic in their assumption of how many Ranger buyers want to buy an F-150.

Full text at link

See less See more
#2 ·
The F-150 is a fine truck no doubt about that. However, I would choose a Ranger over the "too" large F-150 not only because of fuel eeconomy but the Ranger is fun to drive and much easier to park. I really think Ford should update and keep the Ranger in the family.

#3 ·
my neighbor has a Ranger and he said an F150 is too big. I think they made a mistake killing the Ranger

#5 ·
I guess they are hoping the transit connect can replace some of the ranger duties.
They still need a Ranger, but until the money starts coming in faster than they can spend it, I doubt we will see one.

#6 ·
I guess they are hoping the transit connect can replace some of the ranger duties.
They still need a Ranger, but until the money starts coming in faster than they can spend it, I doubt we will see one.
Ford have a medium size truck that , in fact, replace the Ranger in other markets: The new Ranger! is dificult for me understand why not to send it to USA, in the "one Ford" times is a logical move. Is a big mistake abandon this market and customers. Not as big as leave the RWD cars market... We will see Ford crying for the Crown Vic, Marquis and Town Car customers, like is crying rigth now for the Ranger owners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.