Ford Inside News banner

Next Explorer Discussion

7K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  2b2 
#1 ·

So Ford revealed it's next Explorer to employees recently, and I just wanted to talk a bit about it, without revealing anything that is not already known, but maybe shedding a little more insight.

The exterior style looks very proportional to the concept, unlike the Flex which got stretched. It retains a tallish profile like the current BOF Explorer, give or take an inch, and will help differentiate it nicely from the niche low-riding Flex. You will see several Taurus styling cues (body contours, etc) that make it feel right at home alongside it in the showroom. The rear tailights look much different, less triangular, which is the biggest change toward the rear. The front seems to adapt some yet-to-be-seen Ford Edge grille features, mixed with a bot of Taurus as well, yet maintains that general shaped feature from the concept. The interior is nothing like the concept (they never are) but looks so incredibly stylish and high quality, that there is not doubt in my mind it will set the standard. With an I4 EB engine and new transmission, it is supposed to set the fuel economy standard as well. There will be a V6 model for performance or towing variants. I expect about a 4500lb tow ability, much less than current BOF. CAFE leaves them little choice there. Besides, there are larger vehicles for those who need it. There is also a large new class-exclusive feature set coming for it as well. Seems to be Ford's M.O. lately.

Anyway, my excitement level for this vehicle far surpasses anything recently from Ford, including the SHO. I just think this will reset the benchmark and will be a fine addition to Ford next year, about this time.

Your thoughts?
Any news that I missed that is common knowledge or confirmed that I can talk to?

See less See more
#4 ·
Price will be the determining factor for me. We're leasing an '09 Flex right now and it's a touch too big. Our '06 Explorer was just right but if this new Explorer costs as much as the Flex, well, I'll just get another Flex. Equipping an Edge the way we wanted gave us less features, an outdated interior, and still came to within $1000 of the price of our Flex Limited. I think it would be stupid of Ford to price this Explorer in that ballpark too.

#5 ·
Explorer should span the gap between Escape and Flex. I imagine about $1k-$1.5k below. It is a bit smaller as well, though not much. It just won't have the limo-like 2nd row leg room and extra capacity behind 3rd row like th Flex does. Like I said, it's proportions are very similar to concept, which show that clearly.

Stay tuned for performance variants. Great stuff.

#6 ·
Explorer should span the gap between Escape and Flex. I imagine about $1k-$1.5k below. It is a bit smaller as well, though not much. It just won't have the limo-like 2nd row leg room and extra capacity behind 3rd row like th Flex does. Like I said, it's proportions are very similar to concept, which show that clearly.

Stay tuned for performance variants. Great stuff.
So will this product be BOF of unibody?

#7 ·
This is GREAT, Wings, THANKS so much!
tho I've got a feeling the questions I'd ask are the ones that ought not be answered yet, mainly about appearance, but...
...With an I4 EB engine and new transmission, it is supposed to set the fuel economy standard as well. There will be a V6 model for performance or towing variants...
I'd love to know more about the drivetrains / how the EB is positioned marketing-wise = is it considered the base engine? or will it simply avoid the concept of a "base" alltogether? / if it's the 2.0 / its HP / if there could-will be more than 2 engines / any word about PowerShift(dsg)? / ...OH! the new Explorer IS 3 row seating only, right?

#9 ·
It retains a tallish profile like the current BOF Explorer, give or take an inch, and will help differentiate it nicely from the niche low-riding Flex.
Great to hear ! The exterior needs to look like what America thinks is a traditional SUV (i.e. current Explorer) and interior needs to "sit" like a traditional SUV (i.e higher than either Taurus or Flex) This a a big sales feature for soccer Moms. They like being able to see far ahead.

With an I4 EB engine and new transmission, it is supposed to set the fuel economy standard as well.
This still scares me. Unless the Explorer weights significantly less than the Taurus and Flex, I fear that a 2.0 EcoBoost will be way underpowered. I assume the trans will be from the current 6Fxx family.

There will be a V6 model for performance or towing variants. I expect about a 4500lb tow ability, much less than current BOF.
I hope both the 3.7L and the 3.5L EcoBoost are offered.

Anyway, my excitement level for this vehicle far surpasses anything recently from Ford, including the SHO. I just think this will reset the benchmark and will be a fine addition to Ford next year, about this time.
I thought it was supposed to show up in 3Q10. I guess a couple months delay (4Q10) is acceptable to get everything right !

#10 ·
Explorer should span the (price) gap between Escape and Flex. I imagine about $1k-$1.5k below.
Price will be very important. You don't want to push people down to Edge or Escape.

It just won't have the limo-like 2nd row leg room and extra capacity behind 3rd row like the Flex does.
Hmmmm ... Lot's of soccer/hockey Mom's are hauling around 6'+ teenagers.

I never thought the 3rd row seating in the Explorer was a good idea. It ticked me off that the high end model always include the 3rd row seating. I would rather have the space.

#11 ·
...I hope both the 3.7L and the 3.5L EcoBoost are offered...
not sure but think I'd like to see
- 3.5 EB

- 3.5 n/a MPG version, maybe using PIP/CTA tech it could offer MPG and Torque?

kinda feel the 3.7 might be best kept exclusively for Lincoln+Mustang ...for now at least
&
side issue: there are 2 versions/tunes of the 3.7, right?
- the silkysmooth/quiet Lincoln (F-Awd)
- the power-first Mustang (Rwd)
IF they put it in an Explorer would that require a 3rd version/tune?
or is that already happening for a truck version? (or would it be 4wd-only?)

#12 ·
Price will be very important. You don't want to push people down to Edge or Escape.

Hmmmm ... Lot's of soccer/hockey Mom's are hauling around 6'+ teenagers.

I never thought the 3rd row seating in the Explorer was a good idea. It ticked me off that the high end model always include the 3rd row seating. I would rather have the space.

6' teen parents won't exactly be cramped for space, as it is roomier than current mid Explorer...just not as roomy as Flex. It sort of fits between the current explorer and expy. Just right IMO. Besides, you have (2) choices that are larger if you like. Can't be all things to all people afterall.

As for 3rd row seating, I don't think you give up any space, unless you are referring to storage underneath.

#13 ·
side issue: there are 2 versions/tunes of the 3.7, right?
- the silkysmooth/quiet Lincoln (F-Awd)
- the power-first Mustang (Rwd)
Rumor is that the 6F55, even with AWD, can not handle the additional hp/torque that they are getting out of the Mustang version.

Although I am blown away what the hp they are getting in the Mustang version with the same base engine and some better breathing !

#14 ·
6F55 is of course the FWD transmission. It is basically a beefed up 6F50, designed to handle the EB torque. Not used of course in the stang.

The 3.7L engine is only PFI for low cost as a base model. It does add TiVCT technology, which helps it improve volumetric efficiency for better power and fuel economy. Nothing magical really, as several manufacturers were first to do that and saw similar gains. Expect much more, across the board....and yes including Lincoln.

#15 ·
a post from the ubiquitous theoldwizard elsewhere made me think of another question, Wings:

since the EB4cylExplorer will be the std/base model, does that mean
we'll finally get to see that EB By Itself doesn't have to be all that expensive?

OH!
and I remember reading that the 4cyls won't get twin turbos, right?...
but they WILL keep the EcoBoost name, yes?

&-edit
another question inspired by posts elsewhere,
(tho imho all it will take is a test-sit (not even a drive) but)
Would you compare/contrast how a customer might choose between the new Explorer & Flex (or Edge)?
Does Ford still 'visualize' an archetypal customer for each model? If so, could you tell about the Explorer-buyer?

#16 ·
The 4 cyl EB engines are referred to internally as EcoBoost II. They will in fact only use a single turbo. But there are several types of single turbo as well, which offers up several advantages/disadvantages. I will be starting a thread on this topic in the near future.

So yes, Ford plans on future offerings that include EB as a base engine. They will be V6 like in power and I4 like in efficiency and emissions reductions. That is the strategy anyway.

As far as specs, can't really say yet, but if you are betting north of 250hp, then you won't be losing anything.

#17 ·
The 4 cyl EB engines are referred to internally as EcoBoost II. They will in fact only use a single turbo. But there are several types of single turbo as well, which offers up several advantages/disadvantages. I will be starting a thread on this topic in the near future.

So yes, Ford plans on future offerings that include EB as a base engine. They will be V6 like in power and I4 like in efficiency and emissions reductions. That is the strategy anyway.

As far as specs, can't really say yet, but if you are betting north of 250hp, then you won't be losing anything.
Thanks...hopefully around the 280 said to be in the Ex. America Concept.

#18 ·
THANKS yet again, Wings

WOW:
- multi versions of the turbos = NEWS!
- over 250hp!?! = surprise, I really expected more like 240 :cool:

&
very very much looking forward to your future posts!
:bounce:

#21 ·
Just to be clear, I was going to detail some of the differences of different turbos used...not that there is availability of different turbo's. Think single scroll, double scroll, variable scroll, etc.
what I took you to mean is that there will be different turbos used for different applications/models
so a single engine block could produce several versions with different characteristics ie
std use / mpg
torque
hp/acceleration
cost-points

so a 2.0EB for a sport model is different from a 2.0EB for a family sedan or one for a Suv

#22 ·
interesting speculation (imho) elsewhere
chucky2 said:
I wonder:

If the Taurus SHO/MKS already have the 3.5L non-EB and EB, and the regular Taurus has the 3.5L non-EB...

...and this link says 4-cyl EB and 3.5L non-EB...

...wouldn't it be safe to say that the 3 engines could all then be used on anything running down the line at CAP?

So in 2011, will we be able to get a Taurus with a 4-cyl EB? Or, an Explorer with 3.5L EB?

It would seem very doable.....

Chuck

#23 ·
Ford has released HP numbers for the 2.0L EcoBoost in both AU and EU. Somewhere between 197-203 hp, not the stratospheric 275 hp they said with the Explorer America concept.

These numbers are quite close to the the old 4.0L Cologne V6 in the current Explorer. Not bad for a turbo I4, but not incredible.

If the new Explorer comes in close to 4,000 lbs (current model is about 4,500 lbs), 200 hp should more than adequate for most soccer Moms, especially with a good 6 speed automatic.

#24 ·
what I took you to mean is that there will be different turbos used for different applications/models
so a single engine block could produce several versions with different characteristics ie
std use / mpg
torque
hp/acceleration
cost-points

so a 2.0EB for a sport model is different from a 2.0EB for a family sedan or one for a Suv

I have been involved a bit with studying different turbo applications, not multi useage per vehicle. I am trying to find the time to put together a short tutorial if you will, on different aspects of turbo applications. IOW, there is a slight benefit to using a twin scroll on an I4 configuration due to the ability to isolate pulses that back up into a single scroll design.

Anyway, life is quite busy at the moment, but I will have several weeks of down time here shortly. I will spend plenty of time then on that subject, as well as some detailed discussions on things being presented at the NAIAS, especially powertrains, which is my field.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.