Ford Inside News Community - View Single Post - Is Lincoln is Ready to Toss the Alphabet Soup? UPDATE post#136
View Single Post
post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:35 PM
nruggiero
FIN Moderator

Re: Is Lincoln is Ready to Toss the Alphabet Soup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
So you have two brands, why bother calling it Lincoln at all? And do you really want to call any Lincoln a 'yacht'? And what about cars that blur the lines between car and crossover/SUV?
LOL It's just an example I stole from Rolex to make my point. I'm not suggesting they should use that.

I don't see how that would be a problem. It would be a problem if they made wagons, but that's not going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitBORG View Post
I don't see how those relate, Range Rover and Land Rover is a strange twist in their LONG history, not an intentional branding act.
Land Rover has been heading into sub-branding for quite some time. Defender, Discovery, and Range Rover are all sub-brands.

Lincoln needs radical thinking in order to get out of the mud they've been in. Like Land Rover, Lincoln is a perfect candidate for sub-branding.

Lincoln has 4 options:
1. Keep the current MK- nomenclature and iconic nameplates
2. Ditch the MK- nomenclature for iconic and new, mediocre "real" names
3. Ditch the MK- nomenclature for a new, derivative alpha-numeric system while keeping the iconic names
4. Resort to sub-branding using Lincoln's two most iconic nameplates

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome